Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tokubetsu posted:

Like I said a bit earlier, the starting episodes are a lot better on rewatch having seen the end. A lot of the dialog has weight now and doesn't seem so cheesy.

No, I said that :colbert:

I don't actually know if I did say that, but I agree 100%. Somehow the rest of the show made the earlier part of the show feel totally more valid, I had a -great- time on my rewatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Definitely need to add "Kill Them All" to a/the spartacus drinking game. Two shots, especially in BoS and War of The Damned.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

http://www.zazzle.com/jupiters_cock_t_shirts-235961417529742093

Awww yeah.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Kinda hitting it on the nose. It'd be better if it was a picture of a rooster superimposed on a picture of the planet Jupiter.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
When's the full set coming out on Blu-ray goddamn it! :argh:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

the posted:

When's the full set coming out on Blu-ray goddamn it! :argh:

It's already out on Amazon UK if you feel like importing.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
For the Rome fans in this thread. My sister took great delight in showing me this :argh: http://instagram.com/p/ZbApkJveq7/ :argh:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Star Trek Into the Darkness had Spartacus alumni in two minor roles with Ashur as the Klingon patrol leader and Naevia as a background character for San Francisco.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

etalian posted:

Star Trek Into the Darkness had Spartacus alumni in two minor roles with Ashur as the Klingon patrol leader and Naevia as a background character for San Francisco.

wait really? I didn't recognize Ashur at all

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
DVD/BR release set for September 3rd:

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Spartacus-Blood-Sand-Season-3/18510

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I miss this show, I miss this thread.

How are yall doin'

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Conquistador posted:

How are yall doin'

I miss the show, but I don't miss you since I keep on seeing you

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I just assume that you were issued as part of a package deal with the commissioned TVIV, you're in like every thread

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Conquistador posted:

I just assume that you were issued as part of a package deal with the commissioned TVIV, you're in like every thread

Is it me, or just someone with the same avatar?

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Oh no it's you, I think youre in the top 10 for posts per hour for the entire subforum

E: #8

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

etalian posted:

Nick Tarabay (Ashur) is also going to have a minor character arc in the new season of USA's Burn Notice.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

Nick Tarabay (Ashur) is also going to have a minor character arc in the new season of USA's Burn Notice.

I stopped watching Burn Notice a couple years ago but might have to start again just for more Ashur. Although I don't know if Nick Tarabay would be the same if he was on network TV and not allowed to say

God dammit I miss this show. I wish they would release a collector's edition already so that I could buy it.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Conquistador posted:

How are yall doin'

I see you everywhere, therefore, I can't miss you.

But the finale of this show has still not been topped by any television since.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I used to think this show was lame compared to Game of Thrones, but now that Spartacus is gone I think I'd trade all the thrones ever for more of this show.

Also, just generally seem to find GoT boring for some reason.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Conquistador posted:

I used to think this show was lame compared to Game of Thrones, but now that Spartacus is gone I think I'd trade all the thrones ever for more of this show.

I agree and disagree. I love the show because I love the books, but it's definitely a lot easier to weather multiple characters and plot arcs in a book than a show, which has been all over the loving place this season and is coming apart at the seams because of it.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I guess I forgot to clarify- I love the books but only really enjoy the first season of GoT. Not even trying to come across as like Oh pffff, the TV show is poo poo, you should read the books :smug:. It just seems disjointed and uninteresting

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I have the same problem. I just don't feel as invested in the characters' survival in GoT as I do in Spartacus. By god, that scene in Season 3 where Gannicus is trying to escape the city with the girl he rescued, I was literally on the edge of my couch yelling at the TV. I hadn't been that invested in the characters in a long time.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
GoT is pretty slow this season, but as much as i like Spartacus i don't think it is on the same level as GoT. But they are two very different shows, i love Spartacus for the action, though i also hope that that slow motion action scenes die a painful death now.

I think comparing Spartacus to Rome is more interesting, i think they work well together.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I'd say Rome feels a lot closer to GoT than it does to Spartacus. I don't mind the pacing of GoT so much, its really just that nothing memorable has really happened.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Oasx posted:

GoT is pretty slow this season, but as much as i like Spartacus i don't think it is on the same level as GoT. But they are two very different shows, i love Spartacus for the action, though i also hope that that slow motion action scenes die a painful death now.

I think comparing Spartacus to Rome is more interesting, i think they work well together.

Spartacus is still way, way better than GoT at intimate scenes and establishing character depth. That's something GoT has failed to do at times, which I think is just a problem of adaptation -- the books have tons of inner monologue that don't translate well to TV format.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I read about Spartacus in a book once too :smugbert:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Azure_Horizon posted:

Spartacus is still way, way better than GoT at intimate scenes and establishing character depth. That's something GoT has failed to do at times, which I think is just a problem of adaptation -- the books have tons of inner monologue that don't translate well to TV format.

Also GoT has a insane amount of characters/piles of different location transitions which works fine for a book but makes the adaption much harder for the TV format since it means certain characters only get a few minutes in each episode. Spartacus stuck with a smaller overall cast of core characters by contrast which allowed much more depth.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Spartacus has a smaller cast of characters and a vastly smaller amount of locations. Spartacus was a great show. GOT is a great show. They don't need to compete with each other. I'll display both blu rays sets proudly next to each other in my DVD rack.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So would you recommend we just stop talking about it and go back to the thread having no activity or is it ok if we compare them?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I can't watch/read GoT because I'm super impatient and the slow burn of some character's plot threads just makes me go on wikipedia and look up what happens. I'll have to binge through the series if/when the books are ever completed.

I also want to see how the new Hercules with Liam does. On one hand, a vampire from Twilight is the leading role and The Rock is filming another Hercules movie now. On the other hand, I'll watch anything Spartacus-related.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Do watch Arrow? Has Crixus in it, and the guy that plays Arrow was actually considered for the role of Spartacus after A.W. died

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I think I saw 5 minutes of that show and then since then I've completely forgotten it existed. What season does Crixus come in?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Democratic Pirate posted:

I think I saw 5 minutes of that show and then since then I've completely forgotten it existed. What season does Crixus come in?

The first since that is all there is.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
He plays a sword wielding badass in that show, so he might be difficult to recognize

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Democratic Pirate posted:

He shows up around the thirteenth episode and maintains a pretty strong presence on the show from then on

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Conquistador posted:

He plays a sword wielding badass in that show, so he might be difficult to recognize

:lol: the first part of his monologue includes a sword fighting scene with dialogue lifted straight from Crixus' line.

"You have no skill...no strength...no training"

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Hello thread I've missed you :3:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Any update on the Andy documentary? I feel that now that the show is over that's all that's left.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

SaltLick posted:

Any update on the Andy documentary? I feel that now that the show is over that's all that's left.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/426354716/be-here-now-the-andy-whitfield-story/posts
You can follow the kickstarter updates. Most the recent posts seem to point to it being near completion.

quote:

Apr 29, 2013
Dear all,

We are about to pass into a very important moment in the making of "Be Here Now" - we will be showing Vashti the film, for the first time, next week. Leading up to that, we have been talking together about how we feel about doing this. This is the fist part of that conversation. We will post more about this throughout the next week. So stay tuned.

Go to Maybe McQueen to read it: http://www.maybemcqueen.com/stepping-into-the-past-a-note-from-the-director/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

the posted:

wait really? I didn't recognize Ashur at all

It's amazing how different they look if they're not dressed as gladiators. I knew I'd seen Peter Mensah somewhere when he appeared in True Blood season 5 but the penny didn't drop until a goon mentioned who he was.

Conquistador posted:

Seconding this. For sheer entertainment, Spartacus has few rivals. The GoT books were great, but the show hasn't really caught in with me, apart from the fact that last nights episode is the high water mark of the story and its all downhill from here.

• Locked thread