Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Edit: double post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

CheeseSpawn posted:

I always wanted to just go exploring on the back roads but I would need a GPS. My phone can do GPS but it eats the battery like crazy. So I would need to do like a charger mob but I got tired of modding my bike. I bought my bike back in 2010.

Get a local map and a compass. Go ride in a direction. When you're about halfway done riding for the day, check the map and compass and figure out how to get back (for me, it usually something simple along the lines of "Okay, I'm going to take this road into the next town, then turn on to SR 123 and take that until I start recognizing things again."). Reserve the GPS for when you're 3/4 done riding for the day and you still don't know where you are. Turn it on, memorize the next few turns, then turn it off. Real easy.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ElMaligno posted:

R/R looked fine too, no smoking, no disconected wires, bike is not even turning on now.

All i know is that i was entering the interstate, started to accelerate her, the bike started to freak the gently caress out and died.

You probably won't notice if your r&r is hosed by looking at it. If it isn't charging your battery though, you're basically running your bike off the battery alone which will eventually discharge killing the bike (and possibly killing the battery too). Have a good look at things like the starter relay base for meltiness. Chuck a fresh battery in it or charge yours back up, get it started, and measure what you're getting out of the r&r.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

CheeseSpawn posted:

I just changed jobs recently and I just met coworker here who commutes in on a 2008ish Kawasaki concourse 14. I strike up a conversation about riding and turns out he says he's been riding for like twenty years. He apparently still rides at the track and invited me to come along if I'm up for it. I havent ridden since October last year due to the really hot weather and boring straight commute. I always wanted to just go exploring on the back roads but I would need a GPS. My phone can do GPS but it eats the battery like crazy. So I would need to do like a charger mob but I got tired of modding my bike. I bought my bike back in 2010.

Now I've always wanted to ride at the track but I've also been lazy figuring the logistics to get my bike there via a truck or trailer as well as figuring out fees. I'm definitely going to take him up on his offer but I need to get my bike back up and working outta storage. I might actually end up at the track this year. woooooooop!

Now, I just need to hit up gnarlycharlie and to teach me to clean out and install a jet kit.

If you have an Android phone you can get Osmand+ and turn off the cell radio. It just uses the GPS which seems to make the battery last a lot longer. When I'm out in the country the main battery drain is the phone trying over and over again to make contact with a tower.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Linedance posted:

You probably won't notice if your r&r is hosed by looking at it. If it isn't charging your battery though, you're basically running your bike off the battery alone which will eventually discharge killing the bike (and possibly killing the battery too). Have a good look at things like the starter relay base for meltiness. Chuck a fresh battery in it or charge yours back up, get it started, and measure what you're getting out of the r&r.

Its a new aftermarket RR i installed about a year ago. With the old RR I did experienced what it was like to have a discharged battety on a bike. This was way too extreme to be a simple discharged battery.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

ElMaligno posted:

Its a new aftermarket RR i installed about a year ago. With the old RR I did experienced what it was like to have a discharged battety on a bike. This was way too extreme to be a simple discharged battery.

No, it's not. Did you replace the battery after your RR blew?

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..

thylacine posted:

If you have an Android phone you can get Osmand+ and turn off the cell radio. It just uses the GPS which seems to make the battery last a lot longer. When I'm out in the country the main battery drain is the phone trying over and over again to make contact with a tower.

You can download chunks in google maps for offline use. I've got all of north georgia downloaded because there is no internet access when riding in the middle of nowhere. Is there less CPU/GPU overheard to using Osmand+? I've noticed that using Google's directions and charging my phone on a warm day will overheat it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Z3n posted:

Buy one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Stop-Go-International-Tubeless-Tire/dp/B0018EUDHW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367266053&sr=8-1&keywords=plug+gun

Plus this:
http://www.amazon.com/Portland-Desi...ds=co2+inflator

and some threaded CO2 cartridges (carry 3-5 of the small ones), and that'll be enough to get you to a gas station or home, plus they all fit in a convenient little case that you can toss at the bottom of your backpack or in your tankbag or whatever. After my first flat in like, 8 years of riding, I don't go anywhere without it.

Not a bad idea. Brought my truck and ramp to work today for this one though.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Nerobro posted:

No, it's not. Did you replace the battery after your RR blew?

No because the R/R didn't blew, it (and the startor) wasn't producing enough voltage to charge the battery. After I replaced both of them it was producing the proper voltage and everything and never had problems with the electrical system. Well until today that is, I DO hope its just the battery and maybe the R/R, but we'll see I guess...

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

If the battery voltage gets below 1v/cell that battery is toast. If the battery ever gets low enough for the bike to stop running, you've fried that thing.

Yes, replace it.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
While you're replacing the battery take a good look at the terminals, be sure there's minimal corrosion and be sure they're on tight. Terminals vibrating loose is a leading cause of 'guys my whole bike just died, help!'.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Nerobro posted:

If the battery voltage gets below 1v/cell that battery is toast. If the battery ever gets low enough for the bike to stop running, you've fried that thing.

Yes, replace it.

Halo_4am posted:

While you're replacing the battery take a good look at the terminals, be sure there's minimal corrosion and be sure they're on tight. Terminals vibrating loose is a leading cause of 'guys my whole bike just died, help!'.

It was closer (and cheaper) to tow the motorcycle to the Mechanics than to my apartment. Sorry

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I just sold my first and only bike for my asking price, yet I somehow feel sick thinking about it.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

CheeseSpawn posted:

I just changed jobs recently and I just met coworker here who commutes in on a 2008ish Kawasaki concourse 14. I strike up a conversation about riding and turns out he says he's been riding for like twenty years. He apparently still rides at the track and invited me to come along if I'm up for it. I havent ridden since October last year due to the really hot weather and boring straight commute. I always wanted to just go exploring on the back roads but I would need a GPS. My phone can do GPS but it eats the battery like crazy. So I would need to do like a charger mob but I got tired of modding my bike. I bought my bike back in 2010.

Safety Dance posted:

Get a local map and a compass. Go ride in a direction. When you're about halfway done riding for the day, check the map and compass and figure out how to get back (for me, it usually something simple along the lines of "Okay, I'm going to take this road into the next town, then turn on to SR 123 and take that until I start recognizing things again."). Reserve the GPS for when you're 3/4 done riding for the day and you still don't know where you are. Turn it on, memorize the next few turns, then turn it off. Real easy.

Even better: live somewhere with distinct geography (mountains, major bodies of water) and find your way back that way!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

astrollinthepork posted:

I just sold my first and only bike for my asking price, yet I somehow feel sick thinking about it.

Buy another one

E: How'd you sell it? Word of mouth? Craigslist? How'd you handle payment? I'm putting my Triumph up soon and could use tips.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

astrollinthepork posted:

Sick in selling your first bike or sick in getting your asking price?

If it's because it's your first bike, yeah, and you'll probably develop even fonder memories of it as you grow older and reminisce about it.

But then you'll get on your sweet new ride and forget about it :getin:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Even better: live somewhere with distinct geography (mountains, major bodies of water) and find your way back that way!

Haha, being used to this is the best way to get completely lost anywhere else. When I visited Texas hill country, I kept expecting to see the Sound or Lake Washington over the next hill over and over again until I was completely turned around. It's even worse for me in a flat area like Scottsdale.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

Snowdens Secret posted:

Buy another one

E: How'd you sell it? Word of mouth? Craigslist? How'd you handle payment? I'm putting my Triumph up soon and could use tips.

That's the plan. There's only one thing I hate more than selling used vehicles and that's finding one to buy. Not looking forward to the net few weeks of checking Craigslist hourly.

I used Craigslist. Since the bank is closed tonight and we can't transfer the tile without a notary, I took a deposit of cash. I got super lucky with this one, as the cute little punk girl that bought it offered me my asking price before she even came over to check it out.

As for selling vehicles on craigslist, I can offer some advice. The first thing you're gonna learn is that 9/10 people contacting you are bullshitters. I have found that the more they ask about the vehicle, the less likely it is that they'll show up. You're also going to deal with no shows. Before I sold it today, I've had 4 people schedule appointments this week with me only to cancel at the last minute or just cease all contact. Out of the 20-25 people that have shown interest, 2 actually came out and checked it out.

You're also going to deal with a lot of variations of "What's your bottom dollar?" The only response to have to a question like that is "I'm asking $XXXX, but I'm available at so and so time so you can check it out." People are also going to argue with you about how much it's worth after making some obscene offer that's like 50% of your asking price. It's best not to respond to those people. Also, make your bike somewhat presentable. From my experience with cars, a clean and detailed vehicle will sell better than something that hasn't been washed in ages.

One thing I instantly regretted was letting someone test ride it. I asked if the guy had an endorsement, and he said he did. As soon as he got on the bike, he couldn't figure out how to start it. He was sitting there flipping the kill switch and headlight switches. Do not allow test rides unless you have your asking price in hand. I didn't want to be a dick about it, so I just let him go on his way. He hosed up the 1-2 shift which was like nails on chalkboard to me. Don't be me.

As far as ad creation goes, I'm of the school that lots of detail and lots of pictures go a long way. Others seem to have success with nothing more than 1 or 2 pics, year, make, and model. I find it to be easier to point out any flaws with pictures in the ad, but maybe I'm just honest about poo poo. Avoid terms like "make an offer" or "OBO". That invites a lot of bullshit. Post an asking price that's high enough to leave room for haggling, but not too high to scare anyone off. And just in case this isn't obvious, everyone who mentions paypal, western union, or mailing checks are scammers. Take nothing but cash. And finally, if you have a phone #, turn it into something like this "sevenfouroh-twosixtwo-ninesixfivefive" That saved me a lot of hassle from spam text messages.

slidebite posted:

Sick in selling your first bike or sick in getting your asking price?

If it's because it's your first bike, yeah, and you'll probably develop even fonder memories of it as you grow older and reminisce about it.

But then you'll get on your sweet new ride and forget about it :getin:

A little bit of both actually. I really want this bike to work out for the girl that bought it so she won't feel ripped off. She was very naive. I'm almost considering knocking off a little bit when she comes back tomorrow.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 4, 2013

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

ElMaligno posted:

I had an aftermarket "Ricks Motorsport" RR and it died within 6 months of purchase.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

slidebite posted:

I have fond memories of my first bike, Ninja 250 which sounded like a sewing machine, was impossible to ride fast on the freeway and pretty crap tires and suspension...I think it must be the fact I could wring the poo poo out of it and not be flying, the choke was an awkward bit of character and it smelled like a jetski to me. I only had it a few months and my new bike is a million times better but sometimes I want a 250 again. I think I'm gonna get a 250 or 400 dualsport to kinda get that feel back.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

astrollinthepork posted:

:words:

A little bit of both actually. I really want this bike to work out for the girl that bought it so she won't feel ripped off. She was very naive. I'm almost considering knocking off a little bit when she comes back tomorrow.

All pretty solid advice!

Maybe toss some extras in (or if it's getting near the point of needing it, change the oil/clean & lube the chain for her), or tell her if she has any questions to give you a call? I bought my bike from a friend and he gives me tech support/advice every now and then.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

clutchpuck posted:

Haha, being used to this is the best way to get completely lost anywhere else. When I visited Texas hill country, I kept expecting to see the Sound or Lake Washington over the next hill over and over again until I was completely turned around. It's even worse for me in a flat area like Scottsdale.

...do you live in Scottsdale, Az?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Maybe toss some extras in (or if it's getting near the point of needing it, change the oil/clean & lube the chain for her), or tell her if she has any questions to give you a call? I bought my bike from a friend and he gives me tech support/advice every now and then.
Definitely ask if it's her first bike, and if so give her some pointers on how to do basic stuff herself like changing fluids, adjusting brake/clutch lever play, etc.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

The first time I bought a bike I was so green when I came back the next day to pick it up the dude GAVE me $200 back.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

theperminator posted:

I had an aftermarket "Ricks Motorsport" RR and it died within 6 months of purchase.
Anecdotal but I don't think we've seen problems with any Rick's poo poo at the shop yet. The only one I can think of that failed was one I probably installed wrong myself and they replaced it free. They were also recommended as a good aftermarket brand for my r/r by a local Ducati dealer.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I've only really heard good things about them too. was just making a point that being new doesn't always equal not faulty.
They are really good with their warranty returns too, but I'm impatient and lazy and couldn't be arsed sending it back to the US for replacement so I just got the recall replacement from Triumph.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

Buy one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Stop-Go-International-Tubeless-Tire/dp/B0018EUDHW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367266053&sr=8-1&keywords=plug+gun

Plus this:
http://www.amazon.com/Portland-Desi...ds=co2+inflator

and some threaded CO2 cartridges (carry 3-5 of the small ones), and that'll be enough to get you to a gas station or home, plus they all fit in a convenient little case that you can toss at the bottom of your backpack or in your tankbag or whatever. After my first flat in like, 8 years of riding, I don't go anywhere without it.

That plug gun is serious overkill, and the mushroom plugs aren't proven any better than string plugs. String plugs can also be doubled-up for very large punctures.

I use one of these with one end of the handle shaved: http://www.amazon.com/Victor-22-5-00106-8-Heavy-Tubeless-Repair/dp/B000AMOEGY/

If you remove the casing on a Slime pump it will all fit in the original carrying case: http://www.amazon.com/Slime-40001-Motorcycle-Tire-Inflator/dp/B000ET9SB4

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I do love me some overkill.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

M42 posted:

Holy poo poo, seafoam is absolute sorcery. It not only fixed an issue I was having, it fixed ones I didn't even know I had. :aaaaa:

You know... people hate on me, and my boss won't allow it in the shop, but seafoam definitely does some poo poo.
It's prefect for fogging motors and helping to ease back to life bikes that haven't run in a while.
It's also great as a mild detergent for cleaning up nasty crankcases and unsticks clutch plates with ease.

On a more current note:
I finally took my VFR out for a shakedown today. I've got a weird jerking at off idle in gear, but I attribute that partially to the old rear end chain and sprockets, partly to old gas, and partly to it needing a good flogging.

Next paycheck should bring new levers, chain, sprockets, and tires.
:siren:TIRE CHAT:siren:
What should I put on my VFR-FI? Mich Pilot Road? Conti sport attack 2's (I'm leaning this way)?
My commute is mostly twisty back roads by choice however I do plan on taking a few 400+ mile road trips this season.
I want something slightly harder than a 2ct but also very good in the wet.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I finally took my VFR out for a shakedown today. I've got a weird jerking at off idle in gear, but I attribute that partially to the old rear end chain and sprockets, partly to old gas, and partly to it needing a good flogging.

Pervert.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
The road 3's i have haven't let me down on grip yet and have been good in the rain when I've had them in it. I'm nearing 6k on them and the rear is starting to flatten out a bit.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Well, that was quite fun.

Left Everett, WA yesterday to visit a friend of mine in Portland, OR. 180-ish miles. This was the first time I've taken the motorcycle (Honda Shadow 750) anywhere near that many miles in one ride, while I had done the trip a few times before via car.

Suffice to say I didn't plan it very well. Rather, my friend had me on a deadline so I had to do the first 105 miles without stop. Then the next 80 miles after maybe 5 minutes of gas and cramming beef jerky/water in my mouth. My feet, legs, hands, arms and rear end were all feeling quite abused. The up sides, it's a motorcycle and that has yet to stop being entertaining. Got something like 55 MPG doing 90% highway, saving a huge wad of gas money compared to the car, though a long stretch of slab like that wasn't very thrilling. My buddy got to ride the bike when I arrived and for a brief ten minutes, he forgot about his current Miata lust and remembered what it was like to be on two wheels.

The way back was similar, but I planned out three stops this time though not quite in equal segments. It took longer to get home but I got to recover/delay the discomforts more often, which made the ride more enjoyable. It took some getting use to not always having a GPS to look at, having to google map whatever gas station was nearby then get back on. I'm horrible with directions, so was rather proud to have achieved that without going into the fetal position on the side of the road. I didn't even mind the juicy bugs splattering all over my gear.. Which, by the way, if anyone knows how to clean, I'd appreciate it (It's a Tourmaster textile jacket/pants and leather gloves. My helmet/visor cleaned up with water pretty easily). The heat was awful in the suit, but I don't yet have any summer gear.

I'll be thinking about those discomforts for a while. I know I can fix up the seat by searching for some after market product, but I'm not certain about the stiff arms and sore leg/ankles. There's a certain degree of it being me, in that most of my commuting is about 25-ish miles to and back from work. Not at all use to riding for longer than 40 minutes or so, where the entire trip took roughly 3 hours. Still, it was quite a treat. Enjoyed waving to all the other bikers along the way, great fun.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You know... people hate on me, and my boss won't allow it in the shop, but seafoam definitely does some poo poo.
It's prefect for fogging motors and helping to ease back to life bikes that haven't run in a while.
It's also great as a mild detergent for cleaning up nasty crankcases and unsticks clutch plates with ease.

On a more current note:

Next paycheck should bring new levers, chain, sprockets, and tires.
:siren:TIRE CHAT:siren:
What should I put on my VFR-FI? Mich Pilot Road? Conti sport attack 2's (I'm leaning this way)?
My commute is mostly twisty back roads by choice however I do plan on taking a few 400+ mile road trips this season.

Pilot Roads are awesome - others might give better outright grip but PRs are supernatural in the wet and have saved my arse several times, and aren't even beginning to square after 2,000 miles of commuting.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lothire posted:

I didn't even mind the juicy bugs splattering all over my gear.. Which, by the way, if anyone knows how to clean, I'd appreciate it (It's a Tourmaster textile jacket/pants and leather gloves. My helmet/visor cleaned up with water pretty easily)

Mild soap and water with a sponge or washcloth will do just fine for bug guts, if you get them the same day. Don't use a lot of soap and don't use anything stronger.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

The best method for removing serious bugs, is to ride in the rain at highway speeds. :-)

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Pilot Roads are awesome - others might give better outright grip but PRs are supernatural in the wet and have saved my arse several times, and aren't even beginning to square after 2,000 miles of commuting.

^^ This.

Compared to the Supercorsas my bike came with the Pilot Road 2s are magical, they stick to a wet road like nothing else.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Hard to go wrong with the Pilot Power 2CT. I've always ran them on my SV and found they have plenty of grip for riding in the mountains, mild track days, horrible rain and even got me safely home in the snow. Their wet grip is really great, good enough to drag a knee in the rain.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/battistini-wire-frame-horn-cover-for-harley-big-twin-92-13

You know, I was always hoping to drop $340 on a chrome horn cover for my Harley

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well with all the money you saved going with a $10 brain bucket instead of a nice fullface, you gotta invest it somewhere on the bike!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Lothire posted:

Well, that was quite fun.

Left Everett, WA yesterday to visit a friend of mine in Portland, OR. 180-ish miles. This was the first time I've taken the motorcycle (Honda Shadow 750) anywhere near that many miles in one ride, while I had done the trip a few times before via car.

Suffice to say I didn't plan it very well. Rather, my friend had me on a deadline so I had to do the first 105 miles without stop. Then the next 80 miles after maybe 5 minutes of gas and cramming beef jerky/water in my mouth. My feet, legs, hands, arms and rear end were all feeling quite abused.

Everett goon? Howdy!

For me, Everett-Portland runs are pretty much played by ear like that, you can't go 20 miles without a gas station. Heck, I could get there on fumes without stopping but at some point I just have to hop off and loosen up. Usually that's near the Wolf Creek Lodge which is probably close to where you stopped. The abused feeling will probably go away with a few rides like that. Everybody I've done Everett-Missoula with in a day is completely shocked by the 8 hours on the road, but the next day out, 8 hours to Sheridan WY the newbies have settled into a groove. So basically what I'm saying is ride out to Cour d'Alene and back in a weekend and you'll never have a problem going to Portland again :)

If you don't have engine guards with pegs on them, think about getting some; that really helps. Foot options really reduce the fatigue. Arms - loosen your grip. If your hands or some fingers are going numb, think about a new handlebar that straightens out your wrists when you're relaxed on the bike.