Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
I didn't expect to like it but the Hatfields & McCoys miniseries was pretty drat entertaining. Some surprisingly great acting from Kevin Costner and Bill Paxton as the respective feuding patriarchs...Tom Beranger plays an uncle in the Hatfield clan and I was over an hour into the series before I realized who it was.

Having never read about the feud between the two families I have no idea how historically accurate it is but I was surprised by how well the story was handled since The History Channel has limited experience with dramatizations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The only reason I watched US: Day of Reckoning was because I thought it was US: Regeneration, which I've heard good things about. They both have an R in the title, Andrei Arlovski is in both, blah blah hit PLAY. Maybe if I wasn't expecting an 80s style action-fest I would have hated it less. Prometheus certainly made it clear that the expectations you bring into a movie have an enormous impact.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

forever whatever posted:

I didn't expect to like it but the Hatfields & McCoys miniseries was pretty drat entertaining. Some surprisingly great acting from Kevin Costner and Bill Paxton as the respective feuding patriarchs...Tom Beranger plays an uncle in the Hatfield clan and I was over an hour into the series before I realized who it was.

Having never read about the feud between the two families I have no idea how historically accurate it is but I was surprised by how well the story was handled since The History Channel has limited experience with dramatizations.

I started watching this the a couple nights ago and it is fantastic. I have part 3 left to see. I believe it is fairly accurate as far as made for TV dramatizations go.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

david_a posted:

The only reason I watched US: Day of Reckoning was because I thought it was US: Regeneration, which I've heard good things about. They both have an R in the title, Andrei Arlovski is in both, blah blah hit PLAY. Maybe if I wasn't expecting an 80s style action-fest I would have hated it less. Prometheus certainly made it clear that the expectations you bring into a movie have an enormous impact.

If you watched it on Netflix then you saw the R version which is cut to poo poo. Still not a great movie, but the action scenes have so much more impact in the NC-17 version.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Apparently, they brought back some of the movies from the big May 1st purge because I've got a bunch back in my queue.

Also John Dies at the End is up, haven't seen it but I loved the book and it is directed by Don Coscarelli.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
JDATE is pretty drat funny.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Oh nice, I wanted to see that one!

Looks sort of like Naked Lunch.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Well apparently the Halo webseries is on Netflix now. I actually enjoyed it but some familiarity with the halo universe might be helpful.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I was browsing through some new movies, and Doomsday Book caught my eye. It's a Korean film, an anthology of three different stories about the end of the world. I haven't seen it yet, has anyone else?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The Jon Brion score alone keeps me rapt for the early parts of Paranorman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOHoxz8zFqc

I honestly feel this song is one of the best musical compositions for a film ever.

I really don't understand the crazy degree of love this forum collectively has for Paranorman, but re: great fitting music and Jon Brion -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8c7fAAtdLs

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

RBA Starblade posted:

I was browsing through some new movies, and Doomsday Book caught my eye. It's a Korean film, an anthology of three different stories about the end of the world. I haven't seen it yet, has anyone else?
I liked it. The first and last segment are directed by the same director and are bizarre, often funny cultural commentary. The first one seems to be an indictment of the beef industry presented as a zombie movie, the last one is an apocalypse movie involving a magic 8 ball that is just weird. I think I'm missing a lot of cultural context for the last one. See specifically the scene where the religious leaders are meeting on television to discuss their impending doom, and at one point one of them breaks into song.

The middle film is directed by Kim Ji-woon (director of Tale of Two Sisters and I Saw the Devil). This was the most interesting, it's a story of a robot who claims to have achieved enlightenment and how humanity tries to process and deal with that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I really liked Doomsday Book, particularly the second story. Being an idiot, somehow I didn't notice it was directed by Kim Ji-woon.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Finally watched 13 Assassins this past weekend and loved it. Slow start but fantastic, visceral ending.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Cabin in the Woods is up, I loved it but I know it has it's haters.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Cabin in the Woods is up, I loved it but I know it has it's haters.

The Cabin in the Woods is a great loving movie with some fairly big flaws that a lot of people like to exaggerate into crippling flaws for a variety of reasons that I won't go into. Just watch the drat thing and ignore the inevitable tide of haters.

Also, the 2007 Beowulf movie just went up, and I highly recommend it if you're in the mood for a lovely, brainless good time.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I think Beowulf is under-appreciated. If you can stomach the Polar Express computer animation (which, I think, redeems itself with some of the crazy stuff they can do with the camera) then you get yourself a great reinterpretation of the classic story.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
Cabin in the Woods is up, do it now and don't read about the plot, you're welcome.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
http://dailygrindhouse.com/thewire/psychotronic-netflix-special-edition-may-dump/

loving SHAKMA is up. Can't wait.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Moment by Moment?

As in "never available on any home video format" Moment by Moment?

I mean, it sounds utterly horrible but Nathan Rabin's final MWOF entry made it sound like something buried deep underground.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I haven't watched it yet, but I'm looking forward to One Down, Two to Go. Look at this drat cast: Fred Williamson, Jim Brown, Jim Kelly, Richard Roundtree, Joe Spinell! Has anyone seen it, and is it as good as I'm imagining?

Also, the Village People biopic/vanity project Can't Stop The Music (also starring Steve Guttenberg) is back on Instant. It's pretty entertaining and features a lot of full frontal nudity for a PG movie.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Oh my god, everybody watch Shakma. At the very LEAST, it's one of the best premises out there.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Just watched The Man From Nowhere. Holy poo poo that was awesome, as brutal as The Raid. Less technically adept but with more of a story and actual acting which was nice. I need to see more movies like this.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Finally watched 13 Assassins this past weekend and loved it. Slow start but fantastic, visceral ending.

I seriously loved 13 Assassins Would anyone know of other movies like that on netflix? Samurai or Yakuza, doesn't matter :v:

Also Cabin In The Woods Was a lot of fun. The idea behind it is an interesting one, and while it might not have been as good as it could have, it was really entertaining to me. I'd recommend it.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

RBA Starblade posted:

Like everyone said, the second story is the best, you won't regret it.

Also saw a few more:
John Dies at the End,loved it and even if some of the special effects where a bit cheap I totally forgot about it thanks to the laughs and the plot.

Safe,Jason Statham delivers with mindless violent punching and killing.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

penismightier posted:

Oh my god, everybody watch Shakma. At the very LEAST, it's one of the best premises out there.

quote:

The film is about a wild murderous baboon killing prey in a large state building.

:stare: I know what I'm watching tonight.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

calandryll posted:

:stare: I know what I'm watching tonight.

They're also role playing.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Nolanar posted:

I'm going to have to give this a watch, just because of those clips. Thanks!

I haven't watched JL or JLU but now I have to haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTxhBgT2N4Q

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Bash Ironfist posted:

I seriously loved 13 Assassins Would anyone know of other movies like that on netflix? Samurai or Yakuza, doesn't matter :v:

Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai is by the same director, and I think it may be even better. It is even more of a slow burn film than 13 Assassins was. Very dark and stunningly beautiful. Try to go in blind though. The trailer spoils quite a biteverything.

Alvination
Aug 12, 2005

"Let me ask you something: what do women want?"

"Who cares?"
Just watched Cabin in the Woods based on the rec on this page. Loved it, can't believe I hadn't heard of it before. Very fun.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Alvination posted:

Just watched Cabin in the Woods based on the rec on this page. Loved it, can't believe I hadn't heard of it before. Very fun.

Yeah, watched it last night. I don't know how I'd missed that Bradley Whitford is in it. Anyway, yes, enjoyed it and will probably watch again.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I laughed quite a bit at the first thirty minutes of John Dies at the End. I laughed less and less as the movie wore on, and by the time it finished I hadn't laughed in quite a while.

Pity. I was looking forward to this one. Had the book sitting in my Kindle Wishlist forever.

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Is a meat patty something or nothing?

Sarchasm posted:

I laughed quite a bit at the first thirty minutes of John Dies at the End. I laughed less and less as the movie wore on, and by the time it finished I hadn't laughed in quite a while.

Pity. I was looking forward to this one. Had the book sitting in my Kindle Wishlist forever.

You definitely shouldn't let the movie deter you from reading the book, because it's really excellent. For the last half the movie cuts out so many major plot points and memorable moments from the book that it basically isn't even the same thing anymore. Pretty disappointing adaptation. (Which would be fine if it worked as its own thing, but it doesn't do that either, in my opinion.)

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

Sarchasm posted:

The book is kinda like that too.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Sarchasm posted:

John Dies at the End felt like hanging out with a stoner who thinks he's way more clever than he actually is, which is something I already do on the regular.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Zero Karizma posted:

The book is kinda like that too.

The book was originally written in bits and pieces and posted onto David Wong's site for free, it's why the book and movie both feel really uneven and jump around a lot.

The movie was worth it for the doorknob turning into a penis at the beginning. The entire opening segment was great but John's :gonk: face was perfect.

"This door...cannot be opened."

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

And definitely read This Book is Full of Spiders, I loved John Dies at the End but Spiders is so much better.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Okay someone posted .gifs of Todd and the book of pure evil in the .gif thread, and holy poo poo. The description/cover on netflix makes it seem like a kids show and it's really loving not. It's actually pretty good, I'm enjoying it.

edit: Also the first episode has a guest appearance by Jason Mewes! Also the show features :black101:

Deep Thoreau fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 4, 2013

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Wilhelm Scream posted:

And definitely read This Book is Full of Spiders, I loved John Dies at the End but Spiders is so much better.
I started with Spiders, then read John Dies, then saw the movie. The movie was the most disappointing of the three, only because the book is way better, and the next book is way better than the first book. I can only hope that this movie is successful enough to fund some real cinema love for making the Spiders story into a movie, or a miniseries. His books just have so much poo poo going on like Stephen King's better stuff, I can't see how they could make a decent movie out of them.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Bash Ironfist posted:

Okay someone posted .gifs of Todd and the book of pure evil in the .gif thread, and holy poo poo. The description/cover on netflix makes it seem like a kids show and it's really loving not. It's actually pretty good, I'm enjoying it.

edit: Also the first episode has a guest appearance by Jason Mewes! Also the show features :black101:

Mewes is in most if not all of the episodes. One of my favorite scenes is when Hannah has to open the lock in the episode where the gamer gets the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoot
Jun 8, 2006

danger lurks everywhere

Bash Ironfist posted:

Does it get better after the first couple of episodes? I chuckled at 'I heard you the second time', but the acting was a little wooden and felt like a slog.

I am very much enjoying Awake though.

• Locked thread