Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Midorka posted:

Well I mean the same can be said here in New Jersey. You have to go to a real crappy bar to not find some local (Weyerbacher, Troegs, Victory, Dogfish Head) or even Sierra Nevada on tap. It's not uncommon at all to see local beer on tap. What makes a good beer bar is one that knows how to balance their taps.

The question was where to find "good beer" near Moscone Center in SF. My hypothesis is that there aren't any bars in SF that don't serve "good beer".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Found some Enjoy By and Espresso Imperial Russian Stout today. Score! What's the opinion on the espresso RIS, I usually age Stone RIS to September or October. How's this one drinking

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Docjowles posted:

Walked into my local and scored Parabola with zero effort. Plenty more on the shelf. :smugdog:

You sonuva! I must have called 20 liquor stores in the Chicago Suburbs and came up empty besides one store that had 2 bottle left. The catch? They were 49.99 each. A little to heavy a gouge for me. I would have seriously thought about it at 40 and grabbed em at 30 but 50 is just ludicrous. Luckily a good friend that works at a liquor store came through for me and hooked me up with a bottle along with some fresh pipeworks including simcoe ninja, raspberry truffle abduction and ninja vs unicorn. I can't believe how limited the distribution was on this. I imagine that it will only get worse from here as craft beer grows in popularity.

Docjowles posted:

Semi interesting American Craft Beer week graphic. South Dakota :smith:

No Three Floyds? I didn't know there were any other breweries in IN...

On a related note, I was out drinking at World of Beers with my girlfriend and some of her friends last week after DLD. One of them told me that he knew of FFF as "Sun King." This confused me quite a bit since Sun King is a completely different brewery. I imagine he is just making poo poo up but it certainly threw me off at the time.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

lazerwolf posted:

Found some Enjoy By and Espresso Imperial Russian Stout today. Score! What's the opinion on the espresso RIS, I usually age Stone RIS to September or October. How's this one drinking

Espresso IRS is perfect fresh, I have a hard time imagining it improving with age. Or rather, the coffee would likely drop out and it would just wind up tasting just like regular Stone IRS. Which is still an outstanding beer but kind of misses the point.

Angry Grimace posted:

I honestly can't think of a bar like that now in San Diego, and they did used to exist. Even if you're really hard up, you can get Stone IPA at Chipotle.

Colorado is funny in that it's the same except with New Belgium, so every little shithole at worst has Fat Tire on tap. But whereas Stone IPA rules, Fat Tire is bad and I'd often rather just save a buck and get a PBR tallboy or something. But that's when you're scraping the bottom of the barrel. Most places have a solid and diverse craft lineup, even dives and chains.

I have encountered "sure we got beer, ya want Bud or Bud Lite? What the gently caress's a Sarah Nevada, that some kinda Mexican poo poo?" recently but it was on a road trip passing through East Bunghole, Iowa and I'm not confident their taps even worked. Wasn't really a drinking town; or even really a town :banjo:

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

withak posted:

The question was where to find "good beer" near Moscone Center in SF. My hypothesis is that there aren't any bars in SF that don't serve "good beer".

I guess I should have specified that I'm not interested in bars that have beers you can get anywhere in the country, despite how good they are.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

RiggenBlaque posted:

I guess I should have specified that I'm not interested in bars that have beers you can get anywhere in the country, despite how good they are.

That's what I assumed. City Beer Store and Toronado still stand as the right answers.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
What is that bar people show up in here every couple months complaining about what shitheels the bartenders are? Is that Toronado?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

RiggenBlaque posted:

What is that bar people show up in here every couple months complaining about what shitheels the bartenders are? Is that Toronado?

The San Francisco original prides itself on its rude waitstaff apparently. The San Diego version is managed by a big friendly Samoan guy and isn't unfriendly in any way other than how much bottles cost.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Docjowles posted:

Semi interesting American Craft Beer week graphic. South Dakota :smith:

I just saw this.

South Carolina has 12 functioning breweries, including a couple of high profile but small award winning breweries.

Their choices: New South, which started as an unnamed brewery in Myrtle Beach for a restaurant group and only recently began distributing cans, and Brewery 85, which hasn't even poured its floor or received its brewhouse yet. Nice work.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

LeafHouse posted:

You sonuva! I must have called 20 liquor stores in the Chicago Suburbs and came up empty besides one store that had 2 bottle left. The catch? They were 49.99 each. A little to heavy a gouge for me. I would have seriously thought about it at 40 and grabbed em at 30 but 50 is just ludicrous. Luckily a good friend that works at a liquor store came through for me and hooked me up with a bottle along with some fresh pipeworks including simcoe ninja, raspberry truffle abduction and ninja vs unicorn. I can't believe how limited the distribution was on this. I imagine that it will only get worse from here as craft beer grows in popularity.

Holy poo poo. That is the most insane price gouging I've ever seen. Which store is it so I can never ever shop there?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

RiggenBlaque posted:

Yeah.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Comerica Park in Detroit (Home of the Tigers) had KBS and Black Note on tap last weekend. :cool:

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Comerica Park in Detroit (Home of the Tigers) had KBS and Black Note on tap last weekend. :cool:

How much were they charging for them?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

i was gonna make a joke about the fact that you still had to be at a Tigers game, but i forgot that they're good again. drat.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I saw this item in that DLD blog thing....

http://goodbeerhunting.com/shop/3-in-1-hermetus-bottle-opener-and-sealer

Anyone used this thing? It looks awesome and I want it--but want to make sure its worth it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Does it really do any good if it can't re-pressurize the bottle? A bomber with one glass poured has a lot of head space for CO2 to come out of solution, even if it is sealed.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

withak posted:

Does it really do any good if it can't re-pressurize the bottle? A bomber with one glass poured has a lot of head space for CO2 to come out of solution, even if it is sealed.

I think its fine if you pour one off and refrigerate. CO2 dissolves back into solution pretty readily at cold temps. Plus, I could just seal it up and put it back in the fridge until my next pour. Better than using a crimped cap like I do now, I guess.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Re: First world beer problems.

I want to murder you all. The best I can get on tap around here is $random_mikkeller, which is not bad but usually $15-20/pint. There used to be an awesome pub just around the corner run by some mobster looking armenian guy where you could get a pint of chimay or better belgian for $10 but he sold the place :(

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
20 USD for a pint!?!?!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

How much were they charging for them?

$7.75 for 12 ounces of KBS, $8.50 for 12 ounces of Black Note.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

$7.75 for 12 ounces of KBS, $8.50 for 12 ounces of Black Note.

Those are good prices for a bar (at least in Chicago), and unbelieveable at a stadium. drat.

edit: hell, last time I checked, it was over 6 bucks for an Old Style at Wrigley.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

Those are good prices for a bar (at least in Chicago), and unbelieveable at a stadium. drat.

edit: hell, last time I checked, it was over 6 bucks for an Old Style at Wrigley.

$8.50 for a Miller Lite in Soldier Field. This is but one reason why I don't drink much at Bears games anymore.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")
Had Perennial Fantastic Voyage on tap tonight. loving amazing. A nice, solid stout with the most subtle hints of coconut. Highly recommended.

Also had some Troegs Perpetual IPA in a firkin with Cascade hops. Unbelievable amalgam of flavors. It was almost pineappley.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

cryme posted:

20 USD for a pint!?!?!

Yes. :(

At least it's usually super fresh mikkeller.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

crazyfish posted:

I've paid $12 for a 6 ounce pour of KBS at a bar in Ann Arbor. Highway robbery.

Comerica (and quite a few minor league stadiums in Michigan) has a craft beer stand. Comparable prices to BMC beers, too.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I apologize for all my dumb check-ins tonight, bachelor party time does not allow for much decision time. Thanks again to all who gave Philly tips - we may end up better for it!

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
2012 Helios in my growler. I am going to do some damage to my liver tonight. This is hands down my favorite saison so far. I love how perfectly the Brett works in here, it's very subtle and adds a lot of depth. I can't believe a case only runs ~$40.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Midorka posted:

2012 Helios in my growler. I am going to do some damage to my liver tonight. This is hands down my favorite saison so far. I love how perfectly the Brett works in here, it's very subtle and adds a lot of depth. I can't believe a case only runs ~$40.

I chalk it up to it Victory not really making any "hype" beers. They just make solid seasonals in large enough quantities to satisfy distribution. Which in turn puts them at a nice price point. They're not making crazy whales or anything super fancy, but I haven't had anything from Victory that isn't solid. And to take it further than that, Prima Pils, Hop Devil, Summer Love, and Hop Wallop are just about perfect. Victory needs more love in this thread.

edit - I mean to post this earlier, but forgot until now...

We stopped into this clusterfuck of a liquor store in New Jersey that had zero organization. Random bottles all over the place. Some things were grouped together, but you'd find a row of the same beer somewhere else if you kept looking. I found DFH in three different places. It was a complete mess. However, I've read that there are buried treasures occasionally; lost bottles of Sucaba and Parabola being the most common. I didn't find anything crazy, but I did pick up some ultra cheap Choklat and Le Freak. But my girlfriend decided that today was the day that she was going to buy the Rogue pink monstrosity. Her reasoning was "it can't possibly be as bad as everyone says". I guess we'll find out.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 5, 2013

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Went out tonight for my birthday with some friends, and we ended up at a place which had KBS on tap, completely unannounced. It also turns out they weren't too crazy crowded, and I got to have two glasses of it. :dance:

Of course I also ended up drinking some Ruination, Columbus Bodhi, and Enjoy By on tap. 'twas a good Birthday.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I chalk it up to it Victory not really making any "hype" beers. They just make solid seasonals in large enough quantities to satisfy distribution. Which in turn puts them at a nice price point. They're not making crazy whales or anything super fancy, but I haven't had anything from Victory that isn't solid. And to take it further than that, Prima Pils, Hop Devil, Summer Love, and Hop Wallop are just about perfect. Victory needs more love in this thread.

edit - I mean to post this earlier, but forgot until now...

We stopped into this clusterfuck of a liquor store in New Jersey that had zero organization. Random bottles all over the place. Some things were grouped together, but you'd find a row of the same beer somewhere else if you kept looking. I found DFH in three different places. It was a complete mess. However, I've read that there are buried treasures occasionally; lost bottles of Sucaba and Parabola being the most common. I didn't find anything crazy, but I did pick up some ultra cheap Choklat and Le Freak. But my girlfriend decided that today was the day that she was going to buy the Rogue pink monstrosity. Her reasoning was "it can't possibly be as bad as everyone says". I guess we'll find out.

Victory brews good beer, for the most part. There are some outstanding brews, but overall they are just a good brewery. I say good with the best intentions. The problem I think they run into is that their beers aren't what's trending now. Hop Devil stands no chance next to Sculpin or Columbus IPA. It's an East Coast malt driven IPA that isn't in fashion now. I feel this is a problem with many of Pennsylvania's big breweries though (Troegs and Weyerbacher included). None of the beer they brew will get much hype (outside of Nugget Nectar and Mad Elf), but they are all good beers for the style. I've actually taken a liking to Weyerbacher after being put off from their beer when I first started drinking. I had a Blithering Idiot tonight and it was excellent and their barrel aged beers have been priced excellently.

What store were you in?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Weekly Saturday share last night, which usually isn't too crazy but I'm the guy who has to polish off the sour stuff. Found some bottles of Love Child 3. Pick it up, definitely drink it asap and be sure not to have it too cold. The green apple tartness really opens up and the brett funk flavor is more in the background. Overall found it milder than #2 while the oak was more pronounced.

And I destroyed my palate by drinking a bomber of Flander's Fred by myself since everyone else at the share found it overwhelmingly sour. The acidity on this was tremendous for the style, and the sugar sweetness was closer to a tripel's. I'd want to revisit this beer in a year.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Parabola 2012 is completely rad. The bachelor saw it on the menu and HAD to order it even at $35, so no complaints from me! Any night where you start with Sucaba and Parabola is a good one, IMO.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Did anybody end up trying Founder's Doom? I thought it was pretty good - reasonably hoppy on the front with hints of bourbon. The barrel gave it a nice coconut/vanilla flavor that's really similar to White Oak Jai Alai at the end.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Did anybody end up trying Founder's Doom? I thought it was pretty good - reasonably hoppy on the front with hints of bourbon. The barrel gave it a nice coconut/vanilla flavor that's really similar to White Oak Jai Alai at the end.

Like the other bizarre IPA I've had recently (Stone Dayman) I thought it worked fine but I had absolutely no urge to purchase it again.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003
Looks like the naming cease-and-desist are continuing in ridiculous fashion.

https://twitter.com/tiredhandsbeer/status/330796731421831168

It is completely absurd that they are trying to monopolize non-verbatim naming and simple words like "alchemy" or "scurvy"

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I opened one the other day and it was a chore for me to get through. I pretty much hated it. I've still got a store holding a bottle for me and I think I'll be calling them to cancel that...

But if you liked it, I saw tons on the shelf at the Zeeb Rd. Meijer yesterday!!

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 5, 2013

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Uuudar posted:

Looks like the naming cease-and-desist are continuing in ridiculous fashion.

https://twitter.com/tiredhandsbeer/status/330796731421831168

It is completely absurd that they are trying to monopolize non-verbatim naming and simple words like "alchemy" or "scurvy"

"Unnamed" brewery isn't too hard to figure out: Tyranena has had their Scurvy IPA out for years.

Considering that their distribution territories overlap, I don't think this is completely insane. If you've got a well-established name, you protect that.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Midorka posted:

Victory brews good beer, for the most part. There are some outstanding brews, but overall they are just a good brewery. I say good with the best intentions. The problem I think they run into is that their beers aren't what's trending now. Hop Devil stands no chance next to Sculpin or Columbus IPA. It's an East Coast malt driven IPA that isn't in fashion now. I feel this is a problem with many of Pennsylvania's big breweries though (Troegs and Weyerbacher included). None of the beer they brew will get much hype (outside of Nugget Nectar and Mad Elf), but they are all good beers for the style. I've actually taken a liking to Weyerbacher after being put off from their beer when I first started drinking. I had a Blithering Idiot tonight and it was excellent and their barrel aged beers have been priced excellently.

What store were you in?

Yeah, I know. Victory is sort of ubiquitous in the mid-atlantic and northeast. So much so that sometimes I forget it even exists. But they have a lot of my go-to beers. I know if I'm out at a Phillies game or a lovely bar they're probably going to have HopDevil at least. I think a lot of PA brewers (at least the ones I'm familiar with) aren't really trying to make weird barrel-fermented-with-fruit one-offs. So it may not be fancy or fashionable, but it's always good.

The store was Roger Wilco in Deptford. They seriously need a beer manager. Organization was cray cray. Stop in sometime for a laugh. They have decent beer but wow, does it take some work to find things. I'm talking pulling bottles off of shelves to see what is behind them. Or moving cases to see what's sitting on the lower shelves. It's like a beer flea market. I guarantee you there are old as random bottles of Cantillon or old limited releases hiding in there. I just didn't have the energy to work through it all.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

"Unnamed" brewery isn't too hard to figure out: Tyranena has had their Scurvy IPA out for years.

Considering that their distribution territories overlap, I don't think this is completely insane. If you've got a well-established name, you protect that.

I agree, to a point. If you don't protect your trademark you risk losing it. However, I'm sure they could have come to some kind of resolution like Widmer and co did with Great Lakes where they gave a retroactive license to GL for the trademark on alchemy if they agreed to change the name next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

danbanana posted:

You mean "brewer."

That list is totally Chicago. I second Indignant, which is a phenomenal barrel aged stout. The Beer Geeks would also be a good choice. Avoid the Begyles. They're... boring.

Thanks for the suggestions folks, tasted some great stuff! The indignant was sold out when we arrived, I guess others share your opinion. I'm curious about the "brewer" remark, I was under the impression that the did some brewing himself, is that not the case?