Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
allsizesfitone
May 7, 2007
People never notice anything.

Raged posted:

Very nice review.

Is there any reason to keep someone on the bridge at all?

No, it's just there so you can assign a first to pair up with your captain as he wanders through the burning husk of a ship dealing hot laser death to stupid crab/bird/brain monsters. That said, my ship is staffed, my rooms are upgraded, and not even half of the locations have opened up. What do I do with these tokens now? And people grind out more tokens early in this game? I only lose crew to the vacuum of space (What's that? A hull breach? And the shields are down? I should investigate!) so I don't spend tokens there, either. Hmm. Anyway, fun game, worth the couple bucks I threw at it, wish it had a lot more depth but it's nice to blow up a ship in the bathroom.

Bring on Leviathan: Warships!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mocha Frost
May 1, 2006
Star Command is a lot of fun and I'm enjoying it, but all I can think while playing it is how great FTL would be on the iPad.

Mocha Frost fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 4, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
While talking Star Command:

I know one aspect of gameplay is "more crew in a room = better."

But does the per-room cap in other ships improve? Because right now it's a shallow "put 1 person in or put 2 in if you're not an idiot."

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Optikalusion posted:

Nice review. io_burn, hire this man!

Your wish is my command.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Wow, you guys weren't kidding when you said Simpsons: Tapped Out is a ridiculous IAP shill. I was enjoying it quite a bit in the early levels, but now it's just getting offensive. It kinda feels like a competent dev team put together a funny and engaging little game with affectionate character writing, and then someone else just shoved the worst IAP gamebux system ever conceived on top of it. I swear the 'spend donuts to speed up time' button is positioned right where you'll click on it constantly by accident, and it doesn't ask for conformation to spend them.

The fact that the game is self-aware of how much IAP sucks, and makes sarcastic digs at itself a lot, was quite charming at first. Now it just seems like a half-assed excuse to be as moneygrabbing as possible. I wonder if the people who put together the intro cutscene actually knew how ironic it was.

I like the show, and I like the writing here, and I like how the game relates to the show. But gently caress this. I'm just gonna uninstall. I apologise to all the people I hassled over PMs and poo poo to friend me ingame. :(

Corridor fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 4, 2013

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I seriously do not understand the appeal of Puzzle & Dragon. I just downloaded it after seeing the spreadsheet of presumably intelligent people spending upwards of $1,000 in the game? Is this the right thing? It's like some weird non-iPhone 5 widescreen free to play Pokemon-ish puzzle RPG with a matching mechanic where you can move any piece anywhere on the board? What the gently caress?

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

Feenix posted:

While talking Star Command:

I know one aspect of gameplay is "more crew in a room = better."

But does the per-room cap in other ships improve? Because right now it's a shallow "put 1 person in or put 2 in if you're not an idiot."

No, the max is always 2. Honestly, I'm not even convinced that 2 people work all that much faster than 1. And like allsizefitsone mentioned, the bridge just gives you a way to have more security and the engine room just gives you a way to have more engineers. The advanced rooms are pretty fun though, which gives the game some replayability. I really like tossing grenades around.

Star Command compelled me to play FTL and while FTL is clearly a better game in most ways, it really makes you wish that someone would mash Star Command and FTL together and make one really awesome amazing game.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

io_burn posted:

I seriously do not understand the appeal of Puzzle & Dragon. I just downloaded it after seeing the spreadsheet of presumably intelligent people spending upwards of $1,000 in the game? Is this the right thing? It's like some weird non-iPhone 5 widescreen free to play Pokemon-ish puzzle RPG with a matching mechanic where you can move any piece anywhere on the board? What the gently caress?

I gave it a shot for a week or so when it first got popular with goons. Here's a step-by-step account my of experience:

1.) Wow, this Puzzle & Dragon game seems pretty awesome. With so many collectibles, strategic options, and such a huge player-base, I bet I'll be playing it for years to come!
2.) Hmmm, these time-based barriers to gameplay are getting pretty loving annoying. And the actual gameplay maybe isn't so exciting after all...?
3.) Maybe I should buy a few premium eggs or whatever to help get things rolling.
4.) Awesome, snagged a couple amazing ultra-rare creatures!
5.) Getting strung along by this game's paywalls and time limitations: still annoying, and getting more-so by the second.
6.) loving hell, did I really drop like :20bux: on this poo poo?
7.) Fuuuuuuck.
8.) UNINSTALLING WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Okay, so this isn't exactly par for the thread, but if you play party games like Catchphrase or Taboo, you should really check out Ellen Degeneres's game, Heads Up.

No, seriously. You should. I wouldn't know about it if it wasn't for the TouchArcade article about it, but it's really well done, it's a buck (plus IAP for more categories), and it records the people giving clues so you can make fun of the face your wife makes when she can't think of a way to describe Thomas Pynchon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO_ezpX7DwY

The icon is a little creepy, though.

edit: VVVVV

I should add, if you don't have other live people to play with, it's completely pointless. If you do, it's great. It's essentially a fancier Catchphrase that's always on your phone, which was more than enough for me to buy.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 4, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
I saw that and had no idea what it is, but I love Ellen so I'll get it now.

Puzzle and Dragon seemed pretty okay for a while but requiring an always on connection is an unnecessary and battery draining heap of bullshit.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 4, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bummey posted:

Puzzle and Dragon seemed pretty okay for a while but requiring an always on connection is an unnecessary and battery draining heap of bullshit.

You'll be happy to know its coming for the 3DS so grab it there and avoid the online stuff!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Bummey posted:

but I love Ellen

I feel like this explains so much...

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You'll be happy to know its coming for the 3DS so grab it there and avoid the online stuff!

I don't have one and, were it not for the new Animal Crossing, I would never buy one! I'm torn between the special edition Animal Crossing bundle or a pink one. TOUGH DECISIONS

How are they going to shove their cashgrab poo poo into the 3DS?

Feenix posted:

I feel like this explains so much...

Ellen rules shut your face or I'll break it :toughguy:

Bummey fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 4, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bummey posted:

I don't have one and, were it not for the new Animal Crossing, I would never buy one! I'm torn between the special edition Animal Crossing bundle or a pink one. TOUGH DECISIONS

How are they going to shove their cashgrab poo poo into the 3DS?

Adding a Z to it and making it all Pokemon-like, obviously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktkjJLs5SQ8

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I don't have a lot of experience with these COYAs on iOS, but I read a long thread play through of the Lone Wolf gamebooks, is Sorcery! like that a all?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there a way to view all of my purchased apps? There are tons of games wasting space on my hard drive I want to delete, but I don't want them all to fall into the abyss where i will totally forget about them. I really don't understand why iTunes can't just work like Steam where a purchased item remains in your library even if it's not installed.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Is there a way to view all of my purchased apps? There are tons of games wasting space on my hard drive I want to delete, but I don't want them all to fall into the abyss where i will totally forget about them. I really don't understand why iTunes can't just work like Steam where a purchased item remains in your library even if it's not installed.

App Store - updates - purchases

Bummey
May 26, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

You can view a long, stuttery, slow loading, crashy, and unsearchable list of all your purchased apps by going to the App Store on your phone, Update tab and then tapping the Purchased banner at the top of the screen, but that's a miserable exercise in frustration. Don't do it. Really. It's bad.

On your computer, you can open iTunes, go to the Store, click your account name, enter your password, click View Account, scroll down to Purchase History and you can view all your past purchases. Don't do this, either, as you will realize how much money you've wasted on this horrible bullshit and you will probably hurt yourself with a knife or gun or gravity or something.

Don't do it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bummey posted:

You can view a long, stuttery, slow loading, crashy, and unsearchable list of all your purchased apps by going to the App Store on your phone, Update tab and then tapping the Purchased banner at the top of the screen, but that's a miserable exercise in frustration. Don't do it. Really. It's bad.

On your computer, you can open iTunes, go to the Store, click your account name, enter your password, click View Account, scroll down to Purchase History and you can view all your past purchases. Don't do this, either, as you will realize how much money you've wasted on this horrible bullshit and you will probably hurt yourself with a knife or gun or gravity or something.

Don't do it.

Haha. It's true, I honestly don't want to know how much money I have spent on hundreds of games that I have played for roughly 3 minutes each.

I really wish they would overhaul iTunes. It seems so stupid storing gigs of games on my computer for no reason. I just want the icons in iTunes on my computer not the whole drat file.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Is there a way to instruct iTunes to delete every app off my PC that's not currently installed to my phone? That'd be great for clearing up some hard drive space.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Count Chocula posted:

I've never done this before, and I've tried to avoid all the social gaming IAP stuff, but if anyone is about to play Motor World: Car Factory, use the code HDJ2004. I need some more mystery cards, donuts, and a neat car.
I think you're missing a letter cos mine is FFAD9813 *shill*shill*addme*

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

So you can grind a little in Star Command; going back to Mercury or Venus or the Bird Planet after you've visited them before helps you build up tokens for minimum effort, especially Mercury. But you have to redo the tougher ones or settle for the poo poo (light brown tokens) over and over.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!
Anybody playing Dark Quest? Good game for roguelike fans?

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
Not the KSP thread...

Switched.on fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 4, 2013

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Al! posted:

I don't have a lot of experience with these COYAs on iOS, but I read a long thread play through of the Lone Wolf gamebooks, is Sorcery! like that a all?

If Lone Wolf was on iOS I'd buy it immediately, but since it's not I can only compare books to books. Sorcery is shorter with more emphasis on casting spells and less on inventory/equipment, but each book is still a fun little adventure. I enjoyed the game due to the map and combat system, and there's convenient replayability in being able to go back to decision forks and choosing other paths.

Although some may feel it is too short for the price tag, I thought it was worth it. Someone said earlier in the thread that they "finished" it in an hour, which is total bullshit unless you rushed through without really reading, considering spells, and exploring the different options on the map for each area.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Lone Wolf is coming. Months away, but TouchArcade just had a preview.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sorcery is pretty great. The moment I left the starting village I had to kill a person in self defense, his pals kidnapped me and took all my stuff, and I've been starving and gotten into more fights because I cant pay for anything. I'm the worst adventurer!

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Cry Havoc posted:

If Lone Wolf was on iOS I'd buy it immediately, but since it's not I can only compare books to books. Sorcery is shorter with more emphasis on casting spells and less on inventory/equipment, but each book is still a fun little adventure. I enjoyed the game due to the map and combat system, and there's convenient replayability in being able to go back to decision forks and choosing other paths.

Although some may feel it is too short for the price tag, I thought it was worth it. Someone said earlier in the thread that they "finished" it in an hour, which is total bullshit unless you rushed through without really reading, considering spells, and exploring the different options on the map for each area.

Isn't the Lone Wolf series supposed to be coming out on the ios in June?

Anyway I'm a bit torn on sorcery. I bought it because I thought it would the whole series because of the price (and the fact that I bought the first one on another apps a few years ago). The presentation is hands down the best of any CYOA book I played on my ipod, and I actually like the combat not being entirely based on dice rolls. On the other hand $5 is kinda steep for how short the story is.

[e] Am I the only one who doesn't get the Puzzle and Dragons hype? It plays like the shittest match game ever and you monster dudes don't seem to really matter.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 5, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

DrManiac posted:

[e] Am I the only one who doesn't get the Puzzle and Dragons hype?

I'd say probably not as several folks in the last page or so have professed the same.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

DrManiac posted:

[e] Am I the only one who doesn't get the Puzzle and Dragons hype? It plays like the shittest match game ever and you monster dudes don't seem to really matter.

It's deeper than it seems at first glance and becomes about leveling up/evolving your guys and strategizing team balance along with the puzzle stuff, and that's what leads people to sperg out over it and drop cash. If it's indeed the same as Angel Salvation(the version of the game most goons were exposed to first), the first two "runthroughs" are cakewalks, and the third or fourth one(I forget) becomes sudden bullshit that requires massive leveling.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

duckfarts posted:

It's deeper than it seems at first glance and becomes about leveling up/evolving your guys and strategizing team balance along with the puzzle stuff, and that's what leads people to sperg out over it and drop cash. If it's indeed the same as Angel Salvation(the version of the game most goons were exposed to first), the first two "runthroughs" are cakewalks, and the third or fourth one(I forget) becomes sudden bullshit that requires massive leveling.

There is an equivalent point in Puzzle and Dragons, but it's farther in and it comes across as more of a "hey, you should pay attention to things you didn't need to worry about before." Also keep in mind the IAP currency is used for the equivalent of those toy dispensers that are the rage in Japan - buying magic stones just gives you more chances are strong monsters, it doesn't guarantee them.

Echoing the disappointment in Star Command for every reason already stated as well.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

MissMarple posted:

I think you're missing a letter cos mine is FFAD9813 *shill*shill*addme*

Sorry, my Motor World code is HDJA2004. I'm grinding for Catmobile parts.

Tentacle Wars was recently free. The Purple levels are kicking my rear end.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

KarmaticStylee posted:

Anybody playing Dark Quest? Good game for roguelike fans?

Not me! And I have no idea!

(But I think you posted that before it went on sale... In case you're still wondering about the game, and didn't see the price drop, the SD and HD versions of Dark Quest are both currently on sale for 99¢.)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Trustworthy posted:

I gave it a shot for a week or so when it first got popular with goons. Here's a step-by-step account my of experience:

1.) Wow, this Puzzle & Dragon game seems pretty awesome. With so many collectibles, strategic options, and such a huge player-base, I bet I'll be playing it for years to come!
2.) Hmmm, these time-based barriers to gameplay are getting pretty loving annoying. And the actual gameplay maybe isn't so exciting after all...?
3.) Maybe I should buy a few premium eggs or whatever to help get things rolling.
4.) Awesome, snagged a couple amazing ultra-rare creatures!
5.) Getting strung along by this game's paywalls and time limitations: still annoying, and getting more-so by the second.
6.) loving hell, did I really drop like :20bux: on this poo poo?
7.) Fuuuuuuck.
8.) UNINSTALLING WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE.

You have to realize that at some point you aren't beating things on the first try and you actually have to go back and sort of "grind" for specific things. Instead when I beat things I'm clearly not ready for with creative team use it's really rewarding. I dunno.

Also I spent a total of $1. There really aren't paywalls, even if you spend $1000 and get every single God in the game you still can't equip them all at once until you are much higher rank.

It's pretty much the only thing I'm playing on iOS these days!

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
I'm looking for some more games for my son, he's 7.

At first I was trying to find Kid oriented games for him, but it's pretty obvious that he's got the game genes in force.

I'm tempted to hit him with some seriously complicated poo poo just to see how he fares.

I do, however, want to steer away from a ton of IAP, because at 7 it's just to frustrating to avoid that crap. He likes when I play DOT, but the IAP in thr game is ruthless. I'd rather spring 5 up front for something.

I'm thinking of these:
Ridiculous Fishing
Puzzle Quest
Mine craft
Nimble Quest
Helsing's Fire (is ther adult themed poo poo in this)

Any more suggestions?

Reciprocator
Jun 26, 2002

You're not taking drugs are you? I only ask because there is a zero-tolerance policy on the island, and I wouldn't want you to have to punch yourself in the face.

schwenz posted:

At first I was trying to find Kid oriented games for him, but it's pretty obvious that he's got the game genes in force.

I'm tempted to hit him with some seriously complicated poo poo just to see how he fares.

I do, however, want to steer away from a ton of IAP, because at 7 it's just to frustrating to avoid that crap. He likes when I play DOT, but the IAP in thr game is ruthless. I'd rather spring 5 up front for something.

I'm thinking of these:
Ridiculous Fishing
Puzzle Quest
Mine craft
Nimble Quest

Any more suggestions?

Those all look reasonable. Suggest Kingdom Rush if you think he can handle it. Still one of my favorite iOS games.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Robot Unicorn Attack 2? I dunno how fun he'd find the ridiculous power rock theme, but the IAP is easy to avoid. Some of it even has to be unlocked before you can buy it. And it's mostly just extra songs and crap. Plunderland is retarded and silly with funny cartoon-violence in ways that might appeal to a small boy (and what kid doesn't want to play a ghost pirate captain?). And if you wanna teach him to develop the love-hate relationship with games, toss Shantae his way and see how he fares. e. Although I just remembered that has a bunch of dialogue in it, dunno if he'd care.

I like Strange Pot because it's just so loving weird looking. Also entirely free.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

schwenz posted:

I'm thinking of these:
Ridiculous Fishing
Puzzle Quest
Mine craft
Nimble Quest

Any more suggestions?

Plants v Zombies

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

schwenz posted:

I'm thinking of these:
Ridiculous Fishing
Puzzle Quest
Mine craft
Nimble Quest

Any more suggestions?

Anything by Foursaken Media, particularly Bug Heroes/Bug Heroes Quest, Heroes & Castles, and Block Fortress (especially Block Fortress!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

schwenz posted:

I'm thinking of these:
Ridiculous Fishing
Puzzle Quest
Mine craft
Nimble Quest

Any more suggestions?

Do NOT get Minecraft Pocket Edition. Get SurvivalCraft instead. It's cheaper, and contains more actual Minecraft features and content than the official mobile version. It's a far superior experience in every way.

• Locked thread