Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
Nääh, it's ok. Already googled and searched for some information. Seems to be pretty nice bike for the price.

Just not a V2 engine, but i can settle for a twin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Barfolemew posted:

Nääh, it's ok. Already googled and searched for some information. Seems to be pretty nice bike for the price.

Just not a V2 engine, but i can settle for a twin.

The ER-6N is a naked Ninja 650. The major complaints against it are somewhat cheap build quality leading to stuff rusting (check bolts and the general underside) and a smaller aftermarket than the ubiquitous SV650. Other than that it's fairly well liked. The '12 revision has more power than older bikes.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam

Snowdens Secret posted:

The ER-6N is a naked Ninja 650. The major complaints against it are somewhat cheap build quality leading to stuff rusting (check bolts and the general underside) and a smaller aftermarket than the ubiquitous SV650. Other than that it's fairly well liked. The '12 revision has more power than older bikes.

Yeah, it would be the 2006 model. Ill be sure to check for rust if/when ill go and check it out.

I'll get an SV if i just can find a decent one. Or a Yamaha FZS...

Thanks for the tip :)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'd try to stick to 2 cylinders and avoid the FZ as a first bike (I had a FZ as a first bike).

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

nsaP posted:

I'd try to stick to 2 cylinders and avoid the FZ as a first bike (I had a FZ as a first bike).

You just hate fours. :p

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I have a lot of personal subjective evidence which proves to me that twins are better than fours.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

I have a lot of personal subjective evidence which proves to me that twins are better than fours.

The more linear power delivery of a twin is probably easier to handle for someone who doesn't understand how a powerband works, but I suspect in nsaP's case, his difficulty in learning to ride on an FZ6 had less to do with the number of cylinders and more with things like this:

nsaP posted:

Guess I'd fit in tho, hell I generally need to slow down from triple digits just to merge onto the highway.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983...forcev4exp=true

Would this be a completely terrible idea? Early 1980's EFI, Turbo, 673cc bike? .... The last one that sold on ebay went for more than 10k.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

HotCanadianChick posted:

The more linear power delivery of a twin is probably easier to handle for someone who doesn't understand how a powerband works, but I suspect in nsaP's case, his difficulty in learning to ride on an FZ6 had less to do with the number of cylinders and more with things like this:

Whatever you have to tell yourself to believe a FZ1 is an appropriate starter bike.

ed. (I learned to ride in 2005)

nsaP fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 1, 2013

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Nerobro posted:

Would this be a completely terrible idea? Early 1980's EFI, Turbo, 673cc bike? .... The last one that sold on ebay went for more than 10k.

As an 80s EFI turbo owner I can tell you this is the best idea.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Nerobro posted:

From what I understand, the Suzuki was the worst of the 80s Turbo bikes (with the Gpz750 being the best).. but I'd still like one. I imagine it would make the CX650T seem relatively easy to get parts for though.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Speaking of GPZs A GPZ 750 Turbo and GPZ 900 up for graps in the Nor'east. :allears:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
It also depends on what you want it for. If you want performance, that kind of money will easily get you a reasonably modern supersport, it will probably be faster, deffo will have better suspension, brakes, frame etc etc and won't have the raft of issue a 30 year old ride inevitably will. If you're looking for throwback style an early '90s bike is still probably a better bet. Don't forget awkward tire sizes.

Ok to be honest if you're not a 'collector' I don't really see the point but to each his own.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Snowdens Secret posted:

It also depends on what you want it for. If you want performance, that kind of money will easily get you a reasonably modern supersport, it will probably be faster, deffo will have better suspension, brakes, frame etc etc and won't have the raft of issue a 30 year old ride inevitably will. If you're looking for throwback style an early '90s bike is still probably a better bet. Don't forget awkward tire sizes.

Ok to be honest if you're not a 'collector' I don't really see the point but to each his own.

There a "Je ne sais quoi" thing about 1980 bikes that makes me like them better than more modern counterparts. I mean I loving e-mailed the guy of the GPZ900 to see if I can go see the bike. :v:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Double post, but I am actually going to see that GPZ 900 tomorrow, anything I need to look out thats specific to this type of bike?

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
What should I be looking for if I want an intermediate bike? Looking to step up after 2 years and 6k miles on a Blast. Bandits are my #1 choice right now. SV650s interest me too, but they're priced pretty high in Ohio. Same with FZ6s. I'm cool with anything but a cruiser. I've got a budget of $2-3k.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
650R
http://mansfield.craigslist.org/mcy/3688329129.html

Honda 919 *fapfapfap*
http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/3776310839.html

Look for a Z750 or a 599 also.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

ArbitraryTA posted:

So, the Sportster rides like a dream. New tires on it. Problem? The rear tire was too big and tore up the electrical wiring to the right rear blinker.

Hhaha, that's an original way to lose blinkers.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
So if someone were selling a 2003 Ninja 250 with 11,000 miles and mild-to-medium bodywork damage (missing windscreen, possibly broken front signals, scratched exhaust) for $700, would that be an abnormally low price? Because it sounds really really low to me, and you know what they say about that.

I'm assuming for the moment that it's in decent working order, as he claims, and also has a title. I haven't gone out to see it yet.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It could just be a busted up ninja in the middle of nowhere but it's kinda pointless to speculate.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Speaking of ninjas... Remember this GPZ 900 I said I was going to look?
Well I did, here are some pictures:

The Bad
- Lots of cosmetic damage, with the most glaring being the windshield and that left reflector I took a picture. That might mean the bike was on an accident, but I didn't find more evidence for this, so it may also mean he they just bought a second hand plastic for it.
- Cracks in the plastic all around.
- Someone took out the awesome "NINJA" stickers from the bike. :smith:
- still has the AVDS anti-dive system, but I do not know if its seized or not.
- Carburetor "popped" in a irregular manner, leading to backblasts. Current owner blames the old gas in the tank, but I don't buy it. This is what worries me most.

The Good
- It actually sounds quite good, deep and very growly in that Japanese 1980's way.
- New chains and Tires.
- I loving love red and black, holy poo poo do I loving LOVE red and black.
- Talked him down to 2250 instead of 2500.

Yay or Nay?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Overpriced at $2250.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

Really digging these bikes. Awesome suggestions. Thanks.

So there are a lot more Bandit 1250s around here than Bandit 600s. With as much horsepower as my car, would a 1250 be too much? 1250 ccs in a Bandit isn't quite like 1250 ccs in a balls out liter bike right?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

n8r posted:

Overpriced at $2250.

For me it might be worth $1500 if I were looking for a Top Gun Actor bike, but I'm not. This looks comparable for a more reasonable price http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/mcy/3781060815.html

$2500 talked down to $2250 is much-newer Gen1 SV650 territory. And it would probably be a much easier, trouble-free bike to own.

astrollinthepork posted:

Really digging these bikes. Awesome suggestions. Thanks.

So there are a lot more Bandit 1250s around here than Bandit 600s. With as much horsepower as my car, would a 1250 be too much? 1250 ccs in a Bandit isn't quite like 1250 ccs in a balls out liter bike right?

They don't make 1250cc liter bikes :)

That 1250 is all torque, all the time. I rode a 1200 and it really surprised me, I hear the 1250s are a little more torquey if that's even possible. Whether it's too much bike for you largely depends on you though. Also, $2-3k seems really low for a 1250, that's more 2001-03 1200cc price range. They're good, fairly-spartan motorcycles.

$3k is also Buell X1 Lighning territory if you can find one. Those are rad.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 3, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

n8r posted:

Overpriced at $2250.

Ya. Figure it might be worth it at around 1k.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Motorcycles tend to be very expensive in the Northeast, just add 500-1000 more than in other markets! :smith:
Plus all the reasonably priced motorcycles are either trouble of far off in northern ME.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

ElMaligno posted:

Motorcycles tend to be very expensive in the Northeast, just add 500-1000 more than in other markets! :smith:
Plus all the reasonably priced motorcycles are either trouble of far off in northern ME.

Good excuse to fly and ride!

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

How terrible an idea is getting a Husqvarna TR650 Strada as a first bike?

I posted previously but here's a brief re-cap:
My wife really wants whatever I get to be new (she's fearful of inheriting somebody else's problem. Luckily, she doesn't mind us paying the considerable higher amount to go new.
I prefer the dualsport aesthetic.
The BMW G650 is about as close to my dream bike as there is.
I has been looking at the Honda CRF250L.

Since I have been looking more seriously, all of a sudden my wife has taken a keen interest in eventually riding with me as a passenger. This has made me think that the Honda might not be the best fit. I've been thinking about just saying "gently caress it" and getting a G650, but it's probably at the very upper limit of what we could afford, if not a little past it.

Enter the Strada:

The Good:
The same, but slightly tuned, engine that's in the G650.
Also has ABS and heated grips like the BMW.
Price (it lists for about the same as the BMW, but dealers are trying to clear inventory, I have been offered OTD $6400).
It's got the same ugly charm that I like in the G650.
By all accounts this (and the sister Terra) is the bike BMW should have released instead of the X-series.

The Bad:
BMW sold Husqvarna to KTM, and it's probably pretty likely that this model will be discontinued (hence the dealers' firesales).
This will probably be the only year this bike is ever sold so there might not be any dealer or aftermarket support.
The closest dealer that has one in stock is at least a 2 hour drive away and I'd need to figure out how to get it home without killing myself.

I'm thinking about trying to barter the dealer down to 6400 shipped. The offer was just an over the phone, this is how much it is, so I might be able to get them down even more - I'm not really sure and I'm pretty bad at that end of things as it is.

Should I be even more weary of this being a one year bike?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Husky is also pretty much dead, the reason they're willing to negotiate is because the news isn't totally widespread that Husky is being stripped and liquidated by KTM. So keep that in mind too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

Husky is also pretty much dead, the reason they're willing to negotiate is because the news isn't totally widespread that Husky is being stripped and liquidated by KTM. So keep that in mind too.

Which is a crying shame because the nuda 900 is an awesome bike and it looked like they were just starting to build some good bikes in general.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Koruthaiolos posted:

...(she's fearful of inheriting somebody else's problem. ...

You don't have to buy new, you can buy at least 5 years back and expect something reliable. It was in this thread or another when someone said all modern bikes are pretty decent. Find a bike owned by someone who kept service records or have it checked out by the dealer. It'll be fine.

You could even buy double the amount of bikes and figure out what you actually like. I've went through five bikes in the 1 year and 9 months I have a motorcycle license. It's fun to try everything out and bikes keep their value amazingly well.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

KARMA! posted:

Hhaha, that's an original way to lose blinkers.

Yeah no kidding. I figured it was just the light replacement having been too high/low wattage or something making the blinkers mess up since the front running light was working but not blinking, and the rear one was totally dead.

Mechanic had to measure out and saw down the bolt to make room and stuffed the replacement wiring in a safer location.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

So two reasonably priced Bandits have popped out in my area, an 1997 bandit with popping carbs, closer and for 1900 and a 2000 bandit thats apparently well but its kinda far.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

the popping is due to lean running. the carbs need rejetting to a richer setting due to the modified airbox and exhaust. depending on how long it has been driving in its current condition, there could be engine damage due to the higher combustion temperatures associated with lean running.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago
Well, I guess this is rear end backward. My dad bought this and said he'd trade me it for my 2007 Ninja 250. I had been looking mostly for a SV650 so I don't really know too much about this one and was hoping someone could tell me some stuff about it, as I'm a little freaked out about moving up from a 250 to a 1000. The stuff below is what I remember from the craigslist ad which has since been deleted.

2004 Suzuki SV1000S
GSXR front end
M4(?) Titanium exhaust
LS-something or other handle bars
Power commander throttle

Also came with a brand new set of Metzeler tires.

Edit: forgot to mention 7700 miles.

Abe Froman fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 6, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The SV1000 is going to have a lot of torque but nothing like the top-end surge of a literbike race rep. It's a very popular motor. The GSXR front end (if done right) is going to give you really strong front brakes.

I don't know how long you've been on the Ninja but an SV1K isn't a bad second bike at all. If you're not confident, you can wait to trade, but if you have a few thousand miles of experience you're probably fine. Treat it with respect when you start out and you'll love it.

The bars are probably LSL.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Giblet Plus! posted:

the popping is due to lean running. the carbs need rejetting to a richer setting due to the modified airbox and exhaust. depending on how long it has been driving in its current condition, there could be engine damage due to the higher combustion temperatures associated with lean running.

Are you sure it's not the normal popping an aftermarket exhaust makes audible from fuel being lit off in the exhaust header upon closing of the throttle? It says it doesn't pop on the throttle.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

That 97 has a holeshot exhaust on it, which is one of the better ones for the bandit, if its been jetted accordingly (sounds like it is if the airbox has been modded) it should be pretty smooth. http://www.holeshot.com/bandit/bndt_b12_stage1mod.shtml
The popping is normal as long as its not really excessive, if its very bad it can probably it can be tuned out anyway.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Abe Froman posted:

Well, I guess this is rear end backward. My dad bought this and said he'd trade me it for my 2007 Ninja 250. I had been looking mostly for a SV650 so I don't really know too much about this one and was hoping someone could tell me some stuff about it, as I'm a little freaked out about moving up from a 250 to a 1000. The stuff below is what I remember from the craigslist ad which has since been deleted.

2004 Suzuki SV1000S
GSXR front end
M4(?) Titanium exhaust
LS-something or other handle bars
Power commander throttle

Also came with a brand new set of Metzeler tires.

That's a really good trade in your favor I'd think. You've had that 250 like a year right? You'll be fine on the 1000. The power will come on linear similar to your 250, just more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago
Thanks snowdens and nsap for the input so far. I think I'll probably do the trade. I've got about 3000 miles on the Ninja since last year so far without any issue. I won't have to make a decision for a few weeks. I'm in Michigan and my dad is coming back next weekend to take it home to Cincinnati. He has a buddy who works on bikes and has the same one, so he'll do a once over and do what ever needs done and put the new tires on. Theres probably some life left in what is on there but might as well do it now. I think I'll ask him to put a stockish throttle on, as I don't want a quarter turn racing throttle.