Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
You know this game really fucks with your brain when crushing yourself with a nuke so you can blow up your home and your two guests with it "makes sense."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenephant
Dec 31, 2009

How do I deal with Etherwind disease quickly? I caught it from the world map once and got a handful of really nasty mutations. I looked up how to cure it and the only way to *partially* revert the changes was from blackjack or just randomly finding the potion, and a bunch of other options pretty out of my reach.

I found one which reverted a few of the half a dozen corruptions my character had, but Etherwind occured on the map again and my character has pretty much gone to poo poo. It has made a cool game really unfun.

Zenephant fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 4, 2013

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Zenephant posted:

How do I deal with Etherwind disease quickly? I caught it from the world map once and got a handful of really nasty mutations. I looked up how to cure it and the only way to *partially* revert the changes was from blackjack or just randomly finding the potion, and a bunch of other options pretty out of my reach.

I found one which reverted a few of the half a dozen corruptions my character had, but Etherwind occured on the map again and my character has pretty much gone to poo poo. It has made a cool game really unfun.

Yeah, your main option is to play a lot of blackjack. Save right before you play a game, and keep on scumming until you win a potion. It'll take a little, but it'll be worth getting back your equipment slots and getting your stats back to normal.

You should probably look into getting yourself a Vindale Cloak, and possibly Seven-League Boots, as well. With those two combined, it's pretty hard to develop a mutation before you reach a shelter.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
Welp, I tried setting off a nuke in my house with 2 bombs, setting the first one off and then a second one immediately after crawling up to try to kill Larnneire, but no dice. I don't think I can kill her unless I'm missing something. Any suggestions?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
You can kill her, you just need to find a game where she's killable. If you feel you've suffered enough you can just savescum a nuke from wishing (probably), if you want to.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Zenephant posted:

Unfortunately potions of cure corruption really are rare and blackjack / treasure maps / a high level magic shop are the only way to get them.

Really, you should probably have a scroll of return on you at all times. The minute Etherwind shows up, teleport to your house or somewhere more useful. Your house is a shelter as long as you can cope waiting a lot or have a training machine or book.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
I asked this but I think it got lost on the last page: what's the difference between food and food+1 or +2 or whatever?

Also, does a training machine train your stats or train your stats potential?

I have gloves that "give me the trick of pickpocketing" but I can't pickpocket things - is that just a useless bonus?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
According to the wiki, the etherwind always happens in the first 10 days of the 3rd/6th/9th/12th month of the year. So if you notice the date is getting close, you can just in or around a city for the next week or so. Also, blackjack can turn out really well if you get a lucky day buff in your sleep, which has happened to me twice.

So, I'm constantly on the verge of "Burden!" just from the massive hoard of potions/scrolls/rods in my inventory. What should I do with them? There's too many to just dump in my house, and if I give them to a follower they'll use them. Should I sell most of them, or find a chest to dump them all in in my house or something?

Also, it looks like someone named Red Thing Ultrashit is killing themselves a billion times with an atomic bomb in their home.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Train weightlifting, put some PP into it and maybe a level up worth of skill points. It gives you 2 weight per level I think and trains while you're burdened. Stay burdened all the time because its a negligible speed decrease and you get more weight lifting! Eventually it goes away.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Elona please stop giving me fire spellbooks. Fire spells are poo poo and I will never use them thanks.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

According to the wiki, the etherwind always happens in the first 10 days of the 3rd/6th/9th/12th month of the year. So if you notice the date is getting close, you can just in or around a city for the next week or so. Also, blackjack can turn out really well if you get a lucky day buff in your sleep, which has happened to me twice.

So, I'm constantly on the verge of "Burden!" just from the massive hoard of potions/scrolls/rods in my inventory. What should I do with them? There's too many to just dump in my house, and if I give them to a follower they'll use them. Should I sell most of them, or find a chest to dump them all in in my house or something?

Also, it looks like someone named Red Thing Ultrashit is killing themselves a billion times with an atomic bomb in their home.

I used to hoard rods, but I realized I never used any of them. Here's what I keep on-hand at all times:

2 rods of healing hands (they don't carry many charges, and sometimes you want to use a bunch)
1 rod of identify
1 rod of teleportation
1 rod of domination
A stack of un-identified return scrolls (you get 1 uncursed one every time you complete a dungeon, and if it was a shortish dungeon I walk out instead of using the return scroll. If I don't ID it, then as I pick up more they just stack up and I know the stack with 20+ scrolls is the good ones. Cursed scrolls of return send you to jail which damages your growth).
A stack of same-color dyes so they only use 1 of your 150 item limit - to be used for aborting aliens, or killing bells if you can't kill them normally (look for a magic vendor selling a big stack, otherwise you end up with 10 dyes as you pick them up)

All other rods get put in my shop

I stockpile these items in my storage house, dropping them off once in a while:

Scrolls:
Faith
Ally
Flying
Growth
Change material
Superior material
Vanish curse
Recharge

Potions:
Potential
Evolution
Mutation
Cure corruption
Bottle of water (to bless and turn into holy water)
Blessed restore body
Blessed restore spirit
Love potion
Acidproof liquid
Fireproof liquid
Speed upper

If you're being serious about hoarding *everything*, buy deeds of storage house for 10k, and put them in there. The storage house doesn't overwrite your main house.

Additionally, you can buy a deed for a better "class" of house, the more expensive ones can hold more items.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You're keeping a Rod of Domination on hand? That's kind of crazy, one fire spell cast on you and it could go up in flames.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Verviticus posted:

I asked this but I think it got lost on the last page: what's the difference between food and food+1 or +2 or whatever?

Also, does a training machine train your stats or train your stats potential?

I have gloves that "give me the trick of pickpocketing" but I can't pickpocket things - is that just a useless bonus?

I have personally never seen food with + bonus. Is it possible that the number is referring to the number of items in that stack? Or possibly a raw item, then the number is the stat of the item.

Training machines train the stat

it gives a bonus to skill, if you have it.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

No, it's definitely +2, like you can harden armor or weapons and they become +2. It's exclusively farmed food, like I think I made a banana roll+2 or something after cooking it.

there's what happen when I collected my entire farm. Every one of these needs to be identified and sense quality doesn't seem to do it before they rot. I had like 5 different lecchos, of varying quality and curses

I just ate three cooked things at +3 +2 and +2 before I got full so I assume it's just a More Potential thing.

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 4, 2013

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Heavy neutrino posted:

You're keeping a Rod of Domination on hand? That's kind of crazy, one fire spell cast on you and it could go up in flames.

That's what blessed fireproof and coldproof blankets are for! They protect your inventory from fire / cold damage. Although the charges on mine haven't gone down in a really long time - I think because I have superb fire/cold resist, those effects never even try to proc on me.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Zenephant posted:

This from back a little ways, but in case you missed the tutorial window when it first came up - etherwind should be a signal for "oh poo poo, get to the closest town (or scroll of return to your house), get to the shelter by talking to the innkeeper, then read / train through the storm". Ether disease isn't something you "catch" per say, you start the game with it (but no mutations) and it increases veeeery slowly, except during etherwind when it advances really fast. So it's not likely being exposed briefly and mutating means you've "caught" a degenerative disease.

Did you happen to equip the dagger from the nuke-starting trick? Because that dagger makes you ether-mutate like crazy.

Zenephant
Dec 31, 2009

Nah, I didn't do that.

I bit the bullet and spent my 20 small medals on a pair of potions instead of a rod of domination. It's annoying, but I will be extra careful to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Zenephant posted:

Nah, I didn't do that.

I bit the bullet and spent my 20 small medals on a pair of potions instead of a rod of domination. It's annoying, but I will be extra careful to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Is your cart overloaded maybe? Like, do you have a lot of cargos? They make your speed tank waaaay down when traveling on the world map - take a look in the lower right next to the boots icon - see if it goes down a lot on the world map compared to in towns.

Also, I just figured out that you can wake people up by performing! No more wasting time waiting for them to wake up so I can accept or turn in a quest. WAKE UP IT'S A SWEET-rear end HARMONICA SOLO BY DEVOR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYodcX1Cvuo

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Devor posted:

Is your cart overloaded maybe? Like, do you have a lot of cargos? They make your speed tank waaaay down when traveling on the world map - take a look in the lower right next to the boots icon - see if it goes down a lot on the world map compared to in towns.

Also, I just figured out that you can wake people up by performing! No more wasting time waiting for them to wake up so I can accept or turn in a quest. WAKE UP IT'S A SWEET-rear end HARMONICA SOLO BY DEVOR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYodcX1Cvuo

Just [b]ash them. Karma is easy to get anyways.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

e: ^^^ - Bashing to get an item request quest started is the best because you get that point of karma back instantly if you have it with you. Also of note is that you can wake NPCs up with a whistle which IIRC is even lighter than the harmonica, though you can't get any money that way.

Verviticus posted:

If you haven't got the skill at all, it's useless. Unfortunately you can only get pickpocketing from the thieves' guild trainer, which means joining up or sneaking in there with the aid of a teleport rod and disguise kit/incognito. Or of course a wish for the skill if you can get ahold of one of those. This also goes for every single other item that grants a skill bonus; completely useless if you haven't got the skill at all in the first place, awesome if you do.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 4, 2013

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Has anyone here been able to use fertilizer? It just tells me that the crop is already grown when it definitely has not.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

This also goes for every single other item that grants a skill bonus; completely useless if you haven't got the skill at all in the first place, awesome if you do.

Are you sure? There are two different types of bonuses. I was under the impression that 'it enhances your ability to ____' was just a straight increase, while 'it grants you the ability to ____' gave you the skill at a low level. Probably just too low to actually do anything with.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I started a Juere thief and ended up with a run of bad luck early on. My armor got cursed and I was broke and desperate so I was just reading and drinking unidentified stuff at random. This lead to my weapon being cursed. Three hard-earned and very expensive uncurse scrolls later, both items are still cursed and my options for getting more cash are limited. So I'm getting frustrated when a few moon gates appear in Vernis and I figure, why not? What the hell else could go wrong?

Ended up bashing a kitten bank inside of the moon gate. 4,800,000 gold was inside. :catstare:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Quiet Feet posted:

Ended up bashing a kitten bank inside of the moon gate. 4,800,000 gold was inside. :catstare:

Aww, someone was nice to you :shobon:

Pretty sure this means you're going to fat-finger in Vernis and the dude with Ragnarok is going to BRING THE END to your face.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
If you're running Elona+ and you go to a priest/whoever restores your stats when you die (southwest most building in Vernis), they'll uncurse your items for you... for a small fee. :ssh:

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Good god, Control Magic levels slowly. I'm not sure I want to have pets anymore, the Exile is cool but he constantly gets in the goddamned way of my murderbeams and explosions.

Speaking of which, how does pet experience work? The Exile is levelling really, really slowly compared to the little girl.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Verviticus posted:

If it is like Recettear, it improves your relationship with your customers.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Welp, I now have a gold and a silver bell on my team. One armed with a sniper rifle, the other with a named machinegun. Time to do content way over my level! :v:

-she says, as she performs in front of Ebon the fire giant and is immediately crushed-

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 5, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Heavy neutrino posted:

Good god, Control Magic levels slowly. I'm not sure I want to have pets anymore, the Exile is cool but he constantly gets in the goddamned way of my murderbeams and explosions.

Speaking of which, how does pet experience work? The Exile is levelling really, really slowly compared to the little girl.

The little girl has traveling, The Exile does not. Evolving The Exile will make him a lot faster, but I'm not sure I like the idea of someone spamming ball spells uncontrollably (he picks up eclipse)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Is there any way to know which items you dropped on death, besides memorising your entire inventory?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Is there any way to know which items you dropped on death, besides memorising your entire inventory?

If it's a place you can get back to (like a dungeon, or town) you can go back and pick it up!

Otherwise, no. You just think "whew I really lucked out, didn't drop anything important" until you go to make food and realize your cooking tool is gone.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!
So even in Elona+, taking exorcist as one of your starting feats is NECESSARY. Every time iv'e slept, iv'e had at least one "item gets cursed" dream and exorcist has prevented my entire inventory from being full of cursed items.

But on the plus side, I managed to find a named item!

:stare:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

OrangeSoda posted:

So even in Elona+, taking exorcist as one of your starting feats is NECESSARY. Every time iv'e slept, iv'e had at least one "item gets cursed" dream and exorcist has prevented my entire inventory from being full of cursed items.

But on the plus side, I managed to find a named item!

:stare:

I think you're just unlucky.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

OrangeSoda posted:

Every time iv'e slept, iv'e had at least one "item gets cursed" dream and exorcist has prevented my entire inventory from being full of cursed items.

Are you sleeping in bad beds? A good bed will dramatically cut down on bad events.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Stelas posted:

Are you sure? There are two different types of bonuses. I was under the impression that 'it enhances your ability to ____' was just a straight increase, while 'it grants you the ability to ____' gave you the skill at a low level. Probably just too low to actually do anything with.

I just checked it now; putting on light gloves does NOT give you the ability to pickpocket if you do not have the skill already nor does it show the skill at all in the character sheet. The mutation for the mechanized brain is similar in that it actually does end up showing the skill in the character sheet but it has no effect until you actually learn the skill.

e: I would be incredibly interested if you could prove my statements false, but I haven't seen anything on the wiki or in my play to confirm your statements, so if you find a way to get a skill working without spending platinum or a wish do tell!

As for dropping items on death, I think being less burdened helps but that might be wishful thinking and confirmation bias talking.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 5, 2013

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
You really should always take Exorcist. It's one of those feats that really just makes the entire game less frustrating, and it's not like there's a shortage of feats you can get by max level.

You should obviously also take the speed bonus feat as soon as possible.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Stelas posted:

Are you sleeping in bad beds? A good bed will dramatically cut down on bad events.
The best beds should have a tiny chance of death. If you are going to get the best sleep you ever had, you might decide to not wake up. This extends to the comfy chair.

Rogue Lemon
Nov 15, 2012
Yessss. I love me some Elona, and hadn't gotten around to trying Elona+ yet.

My first playthrough is memorable to me for basically just blowing off adventuring entirely and resorting to thievery, music, and date-rape prostitution to get by. This turned out to be ridiculously lucrative, and I very quickly redecorated my home into a palace fit for a king. It was then that I had the brilliant idea to read a$ high-level spellbook, which summoned some wickedly strong monsters in my bedroom, who proceeded to maul my little girl to death and chase me out.

Homeless, I came across a Rod of Domination, and save-scummed over and over until I brainwashed a T-Rex from an endgame dungeon into being my pet. Watching him revenge-devour the monster squatters was the best feeling ever.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Does Elona+ have a chat system that shows everyone's death messages? Because I saw "Gay Yesterday Elton John was killed in North Tyris 'What Happened?'" earlier and I can only hope other people have been getting my warnings that swarms of hermit crabs dislike grand piano solos, harmonica blues, and having horns thrown at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Nobody at the party enjoyed my laser light show. In all fairness, a lot of kids did explode. :saddowns: