Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ufarn posted:

Are there any efforts to change the term limits for congressional and gubernatorial politicians at the moment? I find it interesting how disparate the term limit rules are from state to state, and was honestly surprised to see that it's that restrictive, as someone from a country of parliamentary government.

That's arguably unconstitutional since the last time federal term limits came up SCOTUS ruled that you can't put state limits on a federal office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

ufarn posted:

Are there any efforts to change the term limits for congressional and gubernatorial politicians at the moment? I find it interesting how disparate the term limit rules are from state to state, and was honestly surprised to see that it's that restrictive, as someone from a country of parliamentary government.

Most of the state legislatures are out of session by now (most states only have part-time legislatures) and I haven't heard of any term limit amendments to state constitutions in other states.

Term limits for federal offices are probably unconstitutional short of a unconstitutional amendment.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Kentucky and Florida state law prohibits this.

Is that Constitutional? In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if the KY State legislature changes it just for him.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Is that Constitutional? In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if the KY State legislature changes it just for him.

Kentucky has a Democratic governor and House, so that plan probably isn't going to work.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

serewit posted:

Kentucky has a Democratic governor and House, so that plan probably isn't going to work.

On the other hand, Rand running for President would be a boon to the Democrats.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Joementum posted:

On the other hand, Rand running for President would be a boon to the Democrats.

Yeah, but you expect the KDP to do something in the best interest of the national party? :haw:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

serewit posted:

Really? I just assumed it was one of those states with a large Republican majority at the state level, give it's presidential electoral politics.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Kentucky Democrats are basically Republicans, for what its worth.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Yeah, it doesn't seem like a state setting restrictions on running for a federal office would stand up in court, but IANAL, so who knows.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

serewit posted:

Kentucky Democrats are basically Republicans, for what its worth.

To be honest I'll take a moderate republican like Ben Chandler over an insane person like Andy Barr.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Teddybear posted:

The ostensible issue with whether Obama was born in Hawaii is because of the requirement that the President be a natural-born citizen, which historically means born in the United States. If I recall correctly it's why Hamilton never got to be President. (That and Aaron Burr.) The problem is that a) it's a real dumb requirement and b) it was never defined properly, so it's real ambiguous.

Granholm and Schwarzenegger are definitely not natural born, and would need an amendment. Folks like Cruz and Inouye are more ambiguous.

From a few days back, but natural born has always simply meant that you were born a citizen. If one or both of your parents are US Citizens it doesn't matter if you're born in another galaxy, you're natural born. The only exception to this was for people who were citizens at the time of the constitutions' adoption. Thus Hamilton was eligible to be president but never had the chance.

The attack on the eligibility of a candidate always happens when it's available, because why not take a shot?. I believe there were calls of Cleveland being a faking Canadian.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Gyges posted:

From a few days back, but natural born has always simply meant that you were born a citizen.

The issue hasn't really been tested in a serious way to establish what the "natural born citizen" term means. Birther attacks on Obama have largely rested on untrue assertions that the circumstances of his birth were other than what has been presented (in Hawaii at the date stated on his birth certificate etc.). The assertions are that he was born somewhere other than the United States, that his parents are other people than who he says they are, that his citizenship was somehow renounced for him by proxy by his parents when he lived in Indonesia, etc. etc.

If there were an actual case based on true facts, asserting, for instance, that having one parent be a citizen but the other parent being a citizen of another country somehow made him ineligible by causing him to not be a natural born citizen, and such a case were heard by the Supreme Court (or rejected for lack of merit) then the issue could be tested.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Zwabu posted:

The issue hasn't really been tested in a serious way to establish what the "natural born citizen" term means. Birther attacks on Obama have largely rested on untrue assertions that the circumstances of his birth were other than what has been presented (in Hawaii at the date stated on his birth certificate etc.). The assertions are that he was born somewhere other than the United States, that his parents are other people than who he says they are, that his citizenship was somehow renounced for him by proxy by his parents when he lived in Indonesia, etc. etc.

If there were an actual case based on true facts, asserting, for instance, that having one parent be a citizen but the other parent being a citizen of another country somehow made him ineligible by causing him to not be a natural born citizen, and such a case were heard by the Supreme Court (or rejected for lack of merit) then the issue could be tested.

The other birther part is that his father was a Kenyan resident and thus had British citizenship. But Obama was born on US soil from a maternal US citizen so he's still natural born.

But you're right, there's no real case law on what natural born is. The only real clear non-eligible people are people of foreign citizens who were later naturalized

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Also, I don't think the Supreme Court would ever really hear any legal challenges on it, or address it beyond "The dude's legit." It'd just be political suicide and it would just invite a lot of controversy on the court. And then you got the whole part where the Chief Justice swore in Obama (4 times), which would be problematic. Plus, you'd just create a huge mess, since you have to try and dismantle a presidency, which is pretty much impossible. And then who is president?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Also, I don't think the Supreme Court would ever really hear any legal challenges on it, or address it beyond "The dude's legit." It'd just be political suicide and it would just invite a lot of controversy on the court. And then you got the whole part where the Chief Justice swore in Obama (4 times), which would be problematic. Plus, you'd just create a huge mess, since you have to try and dismantle a presidency, which is pretty much impossible. And then who is president?

I mean, you would think, but we got Bush v. Gore. It takes four votes to get cert and by god, four Justices at any one time are just that kind of crazy.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cemetry Gator posted:

I believe it would still be Diamond Joe Biden.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I talked about this a bit in the other GOP thread, but we're talking about Cruz again so here's some observations from local Texas people I know in media and politics.

Out of all the Republicans in Texas right now, they're the most scared of Cruz. Most of them see him as a highly manipulative sociopath, from interacting with him directly, and are watching him very closely to see how he positions himself. Perry is seen as a scared actor that is too concerned with what people think of him and noone is really worried about him going beyond governor. Neither of these things apply to Cruz and he will have qualms with adapting in a situation involving higher office and isn't nearly as tone-deaf as Romney.

Having Paul run for president is like have his father in there, or Paul Ryan. Neither of them is willing to compromise their beliefs a whole lot as they are so central to who they are. I'm not too concerned about them, as I don't think enough of the country will vote for hardliner libertarians just because they oppose abortion. People like Cruz, on the other hand, might be able to adapt enough to seem palatable to the general population.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 4, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I dunno, a guy who spent $14 million to win as a Republican in Texas against a guy who spent a half-million doesn't exactly scream quality candidate.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

watt par posted:

I dunno, a guy who spent $14 million to win as a Republican in Texas against a guy who spent a half-million doesn't exactly scream quality candidate.

He had to make it out of 2 primary elections.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

watt par posted:

I remember Cruz having the edge in a competitive media market around here, but 28 times as much? I thought Dewhurst had the establishment behind him. Sure ran a lot of radio ads, though the morning shows were all pro-Cruz. In the church I grew up in, the pastor's son endorsed Cruz against him, and that was good enough for my parents.

edit with my math it's clear that i didn't realize republicans actually spend money outside the primary

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
One of the things that I find most interesting about this discussion is that the names brought up the most often for the Republican nomination--- (Paul, Rubio, Cruz, even Chris Christie) are people that have won office within the past four years. If there is a Republican politician who won office before 2008 who is being heavily discussed, I can't think of who they are (other than Jeb Bush?).

It isn't news that the Republican Party is shifting and dislikes its old guard, but the amount that is unusual is pretty remarkable.

With every other Republican nominee going back to 1960, they had held state-wide and/or nationally recognizable office for at least six years before being nominated (Two notes: George W. Bush had only been governor for six years, but he was obviously familiar to people since his father had been vice-president 20 years before. And Gerald Ford, an obvious oddity in presidential history, has still been pretty well known nationally since he was the House minority leader). Many of them had much longer times in office than that: 18 years between Nixon's first term in the senate and his presidency, 14 years between Reagan's first term as governor and his presidency, and Bob Dole's 26(!) years between his first senate term and his run for the presidency.

There have been a few lapses on the Democratic side, (Jimmy Carter was first term governor, Barack Obama was a first term Senator), but even the Democrats have tended to like people with proven resumes. Bill Clinton, the "Young President", had held statewide office for a dozen years when he became president.

This is why I am not totally sure that the Republican nomination process will totally chuck the weighing of resumes. The electorate might be excitable now, but I wonder if the primary fight will focus more on people's histories in office.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Holding office for a while gives you too much time to create a sensible record which is anathema to primary voters.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Holding office for a while gives you too much time to create a sensible record which is anathema to primary voters.

Which is true, but also depends on many things: whether the first contests are caucuses or primaries, and whether the primaries are open or closed. And even, for that matter, what day the contests are on. If some of the first big states to vote are open primaries that attract non-hardcore voters, there is going to be a lot less hardcore ideology voters.

Or the first contests could be caucuses in states where it snows a whole lot! In which case the most ideologically dedicated supporters are going to be the only ones who show up.

Its also of interest to note in 2012, even though there were right-wing candidates running (Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich), both had been nationally known for 18 years.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

watt par posted:

When someone like James Carville says this morning on This Week that Cruz is "the most talented and fearless Republican" (link) he's seen in decades, you want to take notice. Carville may be married to Mary Matalin, but he's got a ton of experience with campaigns and is pretty reliable for analysis. Democrats are legitimately concerned about his future positioning.

Also, I thought it was odd that they didn't mention he was born in Canada. I was expecting the talking heads shows to get that issue out of the way quickly and I would have loved to hear DeMint go on the record about it.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Yeah I'd say that Republicans are running primary candidates and Democrats are running general election candidates, if the past three cycles are any indication. While Romney was certainly as generic as it gets, every other person running in that primary was bananas (including Gingrich).

edit, added link

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 5, 2013

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

glowing-fish posted:

George W. Bush had only been governor for six years, but he was obviously familiar to people since his father had been vice-president 20 years before.

and, you know, president also

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Riptor posted:

and, you know, president also

I was assuming that was a joke.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

Out of all the Republicans in Texas right now, they're the most scared of Cruz. Most of them see him as a highly manipulative sociopath, from interacting with him directly, and are watching him very closely to see how he positions himself.

I voted in the Republican primaries specifically to vote against Cruz. The guy is dangerous. It's kinda funny that though Dewhurst worked for the CIA in the 80s in South America probably killing nuns on Lord Reagan's orders, he was the far less scary candidate.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
But how will Cruz surmount the "faker, more simpering Joe McCarthy" vibe that he gives off at all times? I'm hard-pressed to think of a presidential election that was not won by the person who appeared the most sincere. Cruz will never poll well with people who can hear tone of voice and read facial expressions.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

SedanChair posted:

I'm hard-pressed to think of a presidential election that was not won by the person who appeared the most sincere.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

SedanChair posted:

I'm hard-pressed to think of a presidential election that was not won by the person who appeared the most sincere.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

silvergoose posted:

I was assuming that was a joke.

Oh no, not a joke. Although the presidency is obviously a big deal, I was more looking at the length of time that the name "George Bush" would have been a household name. Which goes back 20 years before George W Bush was elected.

In a way, I am not so much concerned with the prestige and popularity of the office, as much as the familiarity. Twenty years is a long time to build up familiarity with the public.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

I guess I wasn't thinking of incumbent races. Once a guy has been on the job for a while people seem to give him a little credit.

Justin Trudeau
Apr 4, 2009

There's a level of admiration I actually have for China because their basic dictatorship is allowing them to actually turn their economy around on a dime

SedanChair posted:

1980, 1984

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Ronald Reagan at least appeared very sincere. And he probably actually was very sincere.

Justin Trudeau
Apr 4, 2009

There's a level of admiration I actually have for China because their basic dictatorship is allowing them to actually turn their economy around on a dime

glowing-fish posted:

Ronald Reagan at least appeared very sincere. And he probably actually was very sincere.

There you go again :rolleyes:

based gaddis
Jul 4, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

When someone like James Carville says this morning on This Week that Cruz is "the most talented and fearless Republican" (link) he's seen in decades, you want to take notice. Carville may be married to Mary Matalin, but he's got a ton of experience with campaigns and is pretty reliable for analysis. Democrats are legitimately concerned about his future positioning.

I'm not sure about that but either way it's pretty solid strategy. If he's genuinely concerned, talking up Cruz helps because praise from a Democrat automatically undercuts Cruz's "true conservative" image among his base. If he doesn't see him as a threat, it still helps, because he's puffing up a candidate he's not worried about at the expense of somebody more electable.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

based gaddis posted:

If he's genuinely concerned, talking up Cruz helps because praise from a Democrat automatically undercuts Cruz's "true conservative" image among his base.

It certainly worked insomuch as a ton of blogs and news sites went around going "James Carville Loves Ted Cruz!" all day yesterday.

There's also the chance that Cruz burns too many bridges in the Senate before he has a chance to run, but that could also help him if he frames it correctly. Either way, he's an interesting person to watch. I just wish he didn't live so close to me.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

based gaddis posted:

I'm not sure about that but either way it's pretty solid strategy. If he's genuinely concerned, talking up Cruz helps because praise from a Democrat automatically undercuts Cruz's "true conservative" image among his base. If he doesn't see him as a threat, it still helps, because he's puffing up a candidate he's not worried about at the expense of somebody more electable.

Nobody strategizes like the Ragin' Cajun. He was raised by a family of eels, you know.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Salt Lake Tribune asks the question that nobody else is asking, "Mike Lee, will you run for President in 2016?"

Mike Lee's aide posted:

No dice.

What if he's just being cagey? Is this the first sign of Leementum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

glowing-fish posted:

He probably was sincere because he was likely in his usual semi-lucid highly suggestible fugue state.

• Locked thread