Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Eiba posted:

Bertholdt looks concerned

Bertholdt always looks concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Also, in the following pages where everyone makes the choice to join the scouts, Reiner is stone face, but Bertholt is looking away from the commander, likely at Reiner, completely confused. Reiner probably made the choice to go after the basement right then and there, forcing them both into the suicide squad.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
If there are titans out there that are just powerful as gently caress, there has to be a greater reason they can't just curbstomp humanity into dust. I'm guessing the titans within the walls have something to do with it.

poo poo, just typing "Titans within the walls" creeped me out.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
It seems like their faction was looking for Eren specifically because they had intel that someone was developing titans in the city. They probably figured he was a secret weapon kept in the capital. They split up to look for him and the lab where he was made.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

That's a good point. Bertholt's goal when he was first asked was the military police, and we never did hear why he joined the scouting legion, as far as I recall (just reread the whole manga tonight...)

Reiner on the other hand says he's got a drive to see his hometown again, "no matter what" (with a sketchy glare)... but he never actually says he'll join the scouting legion either.

Random thoughts: Titans in the walls are still alive, and the walls are over a hundred years old. Annie preserved herself in that wall stuff. Human titans might be able to go to sleep for a long, long time.

Reiner and Berthold recognize titan Ymir from "that time" when their friend got killed. Perhaps "that time" was a lot longer ago than 5 years as we'd assumed.

Reiner said his one goal was to see his hometown again, even if he couldn't stay there. "There's no more going back, but I want to see my hometown again." We thought it was destroyed by Titans, but maybe it was in a sense. Maybe it's somewhere outside the walls from long, long ago.

Reiner and Berthold are very suddenly eager to return to their hometown this morning. The only thing that changed for them was that they learned Annie was caught (maybe they don't even know that yet), and they saw the hairy titan.

The hairy titan had intelligence, and so could have had a human in it, but didn't know about 3D maneuver gear.

Perhaps Reiner, Berthold, and maybe even Annie are from the distant past, and they're under the assumption that their "hometown" is gone (or all the people are hibernating in wall crystal or whatever), but seeing the hairy titan up and about, they know know that there are people still alive, or that they've woken up or something.

Maybe, working on the hibernation theory, they were trying to outlast the titans. Stay asleep until the titans were gone. But maybe the titans wouldn't ever disappear as long as they could still sense population centers. So maybe Reiner and Bertholt had to destroy the humans behind the walls to let their people preserved in crystal wake up.

That would... actually give them an understandable motivation. Annie's last thoughts were of her father saying that what she would do would make the whole world hate her, and so... she should be sure to come home. Likewise Reiner's determined to reach his hometown.

However it works out, I bet they can't go home while there are people alive behind the walls.

This is such a fun manga to theorize about.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
Ymir talked about being an outcast who was supposed to vanish or die like Christa was. Unlike Christa, she refused to hide her name.

We really don't know the significance of the noble families in all this. The fact that Christa is a Historia is evidently important. Maybe Ymir is also the name of a noble line? That would explain why a completely different titan was saying that name.

If I keep throwing darts at this, one of them will have to hit the answer, right? :colbert:

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Eiba posted:

However it works out, I bet they can't go home while there are people alive behind the walls.

If their overall goal was "kill all sons of bitches" it's hard to imagine why they'd knock down the outermost wall, stroll in, wait a couple of years and join the army. Based on the human titans' general pattern of behavior and Reiner's promise that they'd leave humanity alone if Eren came with them it seems more likely that they were originally after the king/something the king has but Grishafied Eren is more important than their original target.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If their goal was long term infiltration, then knocking down the wall would be a very direct way of achieving it. Even for human-sized infiltrators, the walls serve as a pretty serious obstacle since outsiders wouldn't have 3d gears and the gates only open for the scouting legion. Also, without all of that chaos there would be no way for them to come up with decent backgrounds that couldn't be checked by one dude with a horse within a week. It certainly seems like they were after something within the walls. Considering that a couple years later they knocked down another wall it is possible that they were after Eren even though they didn't know who he was. Once Reiner realized that there was a human titan in the area, he immediately took steps to make sure it survived. Even if capturing a human titan wasn't their original goal, it very clearly is now.

Their next actions were to kill the captive titans (no clue on this one) and then try to capture Eren. Annie is a lot faster than Reiner or Bertholdt, and it seems like she is a much better fighter as well. She was the only choice to carry out that mission. This was also the first time Eren was vulnerable after they learned who he was, and they jumped on the chance.

Then they ended up on the walls in the middle of nowhere, and Eren was within reach. Ymir seems like an unexpected bonus. If you assume that Eren is their goal then their latest actions make perfect sense. Reiner and Bertholdt could have transformed and escaped the tower at any time, but they would have lost their shot at grabbing Eren.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Paracelsus posted:

God help us all if Sasha turns into a titan.

onepixeljumpman posted:

No, that would be humanity's best weapon. We could just pelt a titan with potatoes and instinct would take care of the rest.

Make a potato cannon and it'd be more effective than those wall mounted cannons that do nothing.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Nilbop posted:

I'm reading the chapters at Castle Utgarde at the moment and it's really, really bugging me.

I mean I literally can't parse Ryner's internal monologues, the flashback with him and Bertie and Ymir eating the kid, the fact that he is resigned to die/ not die without using his get-out-of-jail-free powers, with the fact that then at the wall he just bursts out into a big ole walking invincibility juggernaut.

I mean if he had chosen any other point to use his powers the story would have been completely different, and the difference between him at the wall and him before the wall is just ... weird.

God I hope there is an explanation for this.

Berthold clearly has the same doubts you do. Re-read everything from when they first learned that Wall Rose had been breached, and you can see how uneasy Bert is with everything Reiner is doing. Everything from joining the group going south, to sympathizing with Connie over his destroyed village, and ESPECIALLY him risking his neck for people he ought to be opposing. Given knowledge of their true identities, Bert's uncharacteristic spiel about how Reiner used to be a warrior "much different from how he is now" becomes direct criticism.

Unlike Annie and Reiner, Bert doesn't seem to be particularly sympathetic to humanity, nor has he shown any real remorse about all the damage he's caused. That is a shady-looking stare right there. Probably thinking something like "Are they going NATIVE on me?"

Also consider the differences between the first attack on Wall Maria with the second attack on Wall Rose. In the first attack, the Armored Titan blew threw the gap the Colossal Titan created and destroyed the inner wall before anyone had a chance to evacuate, or really even react. During the second attack, Reiner waited to make his move until all of the civilians had safely evacuated--and had Mikasa not pre-empted him, destroying the wall at that moment would actually have saved the lives of all of the trainees, who didn't have enough gas to climb the wall. "Didn't see that coming..."

They also have notably different reactions to the tumultuous events that followed the destruction of the wall. Compare their faces when Armin informs them of Eren's death. Reiner is stunned, Annie is shaken, and...what the hell is up with Bert? Whatever emotion it is, it is certainly intense...but it doesn't exactly look like grief. Maybe he's holding a grudge from when Eren declared his plans for the genocide of his race. He is similarly gobsmacked when Annie risks her life to save Connie. Sticking his neck out for the sake of humans doesn't appeal to him, apparently; he has a similar expression when he realizes that Annie and Reiner want to reveal the secret hiding in the neck of the Titans, simultaneously blowing their cover and giving humanity a powerful weapon. Panel 3: Confused, working through what Reiner is saying. Panel 4: Horrified, sending Reiner telepathic signals to the effect of "Dude, what the gently caress are you doing?!"

My guess is that this divide will show up very soon, in the next few chapters.

P.S. re-reading every chapter and hyper-analyzing every panel owns. There is so much attention to story-telling and detail from the very first chapter--even if the art isn't particularly sharp.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 3, 2013

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Serious Frolicking posted:

Once Reiner realized that there was a human titan in the area, he immediately took steps to make sure it survived. Even if capturing a human titan wasn't their original goal, it very clearly is now.

You know, I keep going back over the opening segment of chapter 44. Just about every line in it seems to have a double meaning, and one of the things it's got me wondering about is when, exactly, they realised who and what Eren is. I'm thinking of two lines in particular:

"I need you to learn how to use your strength..."

and

"Which one would you pick, Eren?"

To the former: does she, indeed? What does that gain her, if she's a titan planning to kill them all in the near future? If she were thinking of Eren as a future ally it might make more sense. And framing it as a "need" is interesting, though I don't know if I want to place too much weight on the exact phrasing of a translation.

As to the latter, we have Reiner prompting Eren to make a choice between Mikasa and Annie. Essentially, to choose between human and titan, and it's doubly interesting, because the other main thing this segment seems to be doing, after prompting Eren to broaden his moveset a little, is foregrounding this Eren/Mikasa/Annie love triangle. I say "seems to be", because I've never been entirely sure if that's actually a thing or if it's something I made up in my own head.

So, is there room for the possibility that Team Titan knew what Eren was all along, and the original plan was to seduce him to their side, before his awakening forced them to accelerate their schedule? And if they did know, how did they know? Could they smell it on him? Is there some sort of identifying mark that's inconspicuous to human eyes? Or were they briefed to expect one "Eren Jaeger", a titan ignorant of who he was? It seems fairly certain that they didn't know what Ymir was, before she, uh, veered, but it could be something that's easily hidden if you know it's there to hide.

Of course, Annie could easily just be saying, "You need to stop hitting so hard, because it hurts and I'd rather you didn't, thanks," or just saying whatever she thinks is necessary to maintain her cover. Ditto Reiner. And I find it difficult to believe that anyone could spend more than three seconds in the company of Eren Jaeger and think that he could be peacefully talked into joining the titans. I'd like to see the argument that could make that happen. And it could just be that Annie and Reiner are being bad soldiers here, forming attachments to the enemy and failing to hold themselves apart.

But I am finding it very difficult to read anything they say innocently, now that we know that they're titans.

My current working theory on why Team Titan are here and what they're about is that what we have here, basically, is a power struggle between "inner" titans (the king, the nobility and the church/wall titans), and "outer" titans. From that perspective, the wall-breaking is a "look what we can do" ploy by the outer titans, an attempt to apply pressure to gain concessions from the inner titans. If their intent was simply to wipe out humans, I don't see anything that could have stopped them from following through. Unless Bert has to wait multiple years between transformations. But that would be a silly plot twist, so I'm going to ignore it.

Or there's this:

"The weak have to resort to using self-protection techniques against those who're stronger than them," indeed. That's a pretty bizarre stance for Annie to take on human/titan power dynamics, but we have no idea what the world looks like from the titans' perspective. Maybe those Scouting Legion expeditions were having an effect after all. The possibility is here that the titans wanted to contain humanity, but had no desire to go further than that.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

:stare: Good catches, all. I had always just seen Bertholt as the more reserved of the duo, but this is probably just a hold over from when I thought he was a good guy (:qq:). This in particular is a good catch Vengarr, and it also lends to the theory that Annie didn't kill Marco to get his equipment.

I don't think there's anything to suggest trying to force a love triangle; Eren and Mikasa are strictly siblings and I think Jean is just easily wound up. And Eren never really seemed to be interested in Annie beyond "you're a drat good fighter, teach me!"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Eren doesn't go on and on about it like a shounen manga hero, but he values his friends very highly. He liked Annie, and everyone liked Reiner.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

True, I meant interested as in I don't think he was romantically interested in her (or anyone).

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Autumncomet posted:

I don't think there's anything to suggest trying to force a love triangle; Eren and Mikasa are strictly siblings and I think Jean is just easily wound up. And Eren never really seemed to be interested in Annie beyond "you're a drat good fighter, teach me!"

Yeah, half the time I think I'm just seeing things. I'll run through my evidence for this; you can tell me where you think I'm over-interpreting.

First, we have this, from the end of chapter 16:

In the GWR translation, this looks like she's inuiting Eren's real feelings based on a superior understanding of his mind and is devastated by it. [gg]'s translation of the same scene in the anime, which I'm told is the more accurate version, looks like this:

...which is more like a radical misinterpretation of Eren's feelings. Based on a desire to see Eren as more invested in their relationship than he actually is, perhaps?

Later on (at least, chronologically), there's this. Nothing that would be out of place in a purely familial bond, but I find it interesting that Mikasa sees an exchange between what is, as far as I know, the only explicitly romantic couple in the entire manga, and then immediately attempts to replicate that exchange with Eren. (...alright, I'm reaching here.)

Then, in chapter 30, we have Annie crying. She's crying? Why is she crying? Because she failed to complete her mission? Doesn't seem strong enough. Because she has a personal stake in carrying off Eren? (Other possibilities: because she just had her eyes carved out, doofus. But then why is Rivaille as confused as I am? Or: she's upset because she couldn't save her bestie from the humans.)

The best piece of evidence is probably when Mikasa actually asks Eren if he has special feelings for Annie in chapter 32.

Eren seems to be bemused by this. Why'd she take it there?

Now we come back to chapter 44. Annie and Eren's opening conversation goes a little something like this:

Annie: I am a weak and frail woman and you are a big strong man. Can't you go any gentler on me?
Eren: That is ridiculous you could break me into tiny pieces.

Annie: YOU WILL TREAT ME LIKE A LADY OR I WILL BREAK YOU INTO TINY PIECES.

...which is a pattern manga has trained me to interpret as a girl expressing her displeasure that the guy she's interested in does not appear to be all that interested in her, or at least not presenting his interest in a particularly refined manner.

It's at this point that Mikasa throws a person at them (note: at this precise moment in time they are rather intimately entwined on the ground), and then challenges Annie to a fight. That's a little extreme, Mikasa! (Okay, so, we don't actually know that it was Mikasa that threw Reiner. But how he got there is unexplained, she appears directly after him, and she's clearly been listening to the conversation. I think a causal link is implied.)

And suddenly things are really intense, too. Annie starts calling Mikasa a "beast". There's this hardcore eye poo poo going down.

And whoa hey, things are really tense between these two! Where did that come from? Did I miss something? Maybe it's competition for top rank, but neither of them seem like the type to care much. And the way it's framed...

So, there's nothing here that explicitly indicates any sort of romantic attachment between the three of them. But I think there's a sufficient preponderance of evidence to suggest that Mikasa's love for Eren, be it storge, philia or eros, pushes her to be jealously possessive of him to a degree which would be unusual for a purely non-romantic love. Specifically, she sees Annie as a threat, and Annie returns her animosity at least in part. Eren, meanwhile, is oblivious, either because he's obsessed with killing titans to the exclusion of all else, or because he has a bad case of Oblivious Shounen Protagonist Syndrome.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Autumncomet posted:

:stare: Good catches, all. I had always just seen Bertholt as the more reserved of the duo, but this is probably just a hold over from when I thought he was a good guy (:qq:). This in particular is a good catch Vengarr, and it also lends to the theory that Annie didn't kill Marco to get his equipment.

Siblings might mean something different to Mikasa. In any case, I wouldn't put it past the author anyways. Manga authors seem to believe that being "not blood related" is carte-blanche to write in brother-sister relationships despite the Westermarck Effect.

I don't think its reaching at all to read between the lines that Mikasa is into Eren in a non-platonic way; in fact, I think its probably likely. They live in a weird world and she's a weird kid.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 4, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

I think the easiest way to put it is that Bertholdt's default expression is "I am surrounded by idiots who are going to get me killed."

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Nice post on the love triangle, Autonomous Monster. I kind of wish Annie was still around. She was one of my favorite characters. I like to imagine that she had to learn to actually fight in her titan form because there was no way in hell she could compete with titans like Ryner and Bert in combat. Hopefully we'll see more of her one day.

I wouldn't be surprised if she was specifically teaching Eren how to fight in the case of him fighting Ryner one day.

ff7cid
Jun 27, 2008

Beartato! I just became aware of the vast speed at which we are hurtling through the universe! Now it's all I can think about!
Every time someone makes a post that points out intricate details or foreshadowing, I want to go back and re-read the whole drat thing. Which was pretty much every post on this page.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Thoren posted:

Nice post on the love triangle, Autonomous Monster. I kind of wish Annie was still around. She was one of my favorite characters. I like to imagine that she had to learn to actually fight in her titan form because there was no way in hell she could compete with titans like Ryner and Bert in combat. Hopefully we'll see more of her one day.

I wouldn't be surprised if she was specifically teaching Eren how to fight in the case of him fighting Ryner one day.
I don't think Annie's out of it for good. It's been ages in real life, but it's only been two days in the story. I don't even think most of the characters even know Annie was the female titan yet. Well, I mean they haven't been told at least.

And yeah, I really like Annie too. I entirely forgot one of my favorite scenes in the whole manga until I reread it the other day- the exchange between her and idealistic Marlow about the military police and problems in society in general.

The scene starting here:
http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/31/9

Basically Marlow want to scrape his way to the top to shake things up, and humiliate the selfish bad people who're running things... at least so that they became normal decent people again. Annie calls bullshit. She thinks idealists like Marlow are the exception, and we're hosed if we have to rely on people like him. Most people just go with the flow. Yeah, they're still scum for it, but it's important to recognize that they are normal. The system only reflects human nature after all, and if it's a rotten system, it's because people are rotten. Marlow then muses to himself that if people are fundamentally good, but the system is full of people acting rotten... it's not that he needs to punish the bad people, he needs to change the system. (Or something like that, if the translation's just a bit off in any number of places it could wildly change the meaning.)

I know it's kind of basic look at things, but I still love that kind of discussion. I know it's hardly a new revelation or anything, like all the other stuff we're looking at, but I still love that scene. I hope Marlow goes on to... do something.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

He'll be Marco 2.0. :smith:

And on Mikasa, I just interpreted her obsession as her not wanting to lose the only family she has left. She says as much in the anime.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
edit: too much rambling

Thoren fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 5, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Cuchulain posted:

Also, in the following pages where everyone makes the choice to join the scouts, Reiner is stone face, but Bertholt is looking away from the commander, likely at Reiner, completely confused. Reiner probably made the choice to go after the basement right then and there, forcing them both into the suicide squad.
I like how he stares at Annie walking away to join the MP. So upset!

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/18/30

Jackard fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 4, 2013

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I always thought Mikasa's attachment to Erin was as very close family, but the love triangle aspect could make sense from her point of view if she thinks that getting him to have romantic feelings for her would make sure he'd never leave.

One thing I noticed going back was that as soon as they find out about the Titan attacking the other Titans Reiner asks for info, possibly trying to find out if they know its a human titan. http://www.batoto.net/read/_/6247/shingeki-no-kyojin_v2_ch9_by_gantz-waitingroom/6

Unrelated to that, I think the dog titan is the creepest titan yet besides hairy.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

Siblings might mean something different to Mikasa. In any case, I wouldn't put it past the author anyways. Manga authors seem to believe that being "not blood related" is carte-blanche to write in brother-sister relationships despite the Westermarck Effect.

I don't think its reaching at all to read between the lines that Mikasa is into Eren in a non-platonic way; in fact, I think its probably likely. They live in a weird world and she's a weird kid.

They had to have been over six years old when it happened, excluding the possibility of the Westermarck Effect as we have observed it, and you could tell from the moment Eren put the scarf on her that she thought he was somethin' special. I don't think it was particularly weird. And I don't think it's necessarily just about manga authors; I feel like it's more cultural than that.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

They had to have been over six years old when it happened, excluding the possibility of the Westermarck Effect as we have observed it, and you could tell from the moment Eren put the scarf on her that she thought he was somethin' special. I don't think it was particularly weird. And I don't think it's necessarily just about manga authors; I feel like it's more cultural than that.

Oh, I absolutely agree the Westermarck Effect wouldn't apply since they were like 9 when they became "siblings." I was simply pointing out the "sibling" thing Mikasa throws out isn't really meaningful in that genre since it often occurs that the phrase "not-blood related" often precedes faux-sibling romance in manga even when it really would be subject to the Effect.

But for a natural tendency for the male fanbase to deny that they're shipping characters, I don't think most people would assume something different about her interest in Eren. They're unrelated, similar age and opposite sex. It isn't stretching any kind of logic to assume she's madly in love with him and would gladly run off into the woods and have his babies if he indicated he was interested.

GodFish posted:

I always thought Mikasa's attachment to Erin was as very close family, but the love triangle aspect could make sense from her point of view if she thinks that getting him to have romantic feelings for her would make sure he'd never leave.

One thing I noticed going back was that as soon as they find out about the Titan attacking the other Titans Reiner asks for info, possibly trying to find out if they know its a human titan. http://www.batoto.net/read/_/6247/shingeki-no-kyojin_v2_ch9_by_gantz-waitingroom/6

Unrelated to that, I think the dog titan is the creepest titan yet besides hairy.
I actually find it curious people see something different. The kind of relationship Mikasa claims to have with Eren is practically unheard of in real life human interactions.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 4, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/6252/shingeki-no-kyojin_v3_ch13_by_gantz-waitingroom/20
During the plugging up Trost mission, someone tries to console Mikasa about the fate of "her love". She says he's just family but has an odd look on her face. It could be shock that someone would think that, could be she's trying to work through her own feelings, could be "oh poo poo I've been found out." it's certainly possible she likes him and you guys present good evidence, but since the rest of the present day characters think they're family, I'm inclined to agree unless stated otherwise. :shobon:

And on that exchange between Annie and Eren I thought she was just taunting but it's been established I'm bad at anime patterns!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

In the anime thread darkgray posted:

What in the gently caress? Episode 5 is such a what the gently caress episode. What the holy making GBS threads gently caress? I'll just go wrap myself in a nice, soft cocoon until ep 6, if you don't mind.
It begins.

:q:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I think it's kind of obvious that Mikasa has feelings for Eren, despite being rather emotionally withdrawn. It happens.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Zorak posted:

I think it's kind of obvious that Mikasa has feelings for Eren, despite being rather emotionally withdrawn. It happens.

I agree but it's still pretty complex at the same time. The way she talked to him about Annie was borderline manipulative. She's like a crazy sister.

Thoren fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 5, 2013

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Jackard posted:

It begins.

:q:

I've been waiting for this moment for five weeks now.

It will be glorious.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How has there not been any new releases in over a month?

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How has there not been any new releases in over a month?

Chapter 44 was translated as of April 12th. It's May 4th. What are you even talking about?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Hikarusa posted:

Chapter 44 was translated as of April 12th. It's May 4th. What are you even talking about?

It feels like it's been months. I thought it was longer than that though.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Was that scene in the anime with Pixis and the fat nobleman in the manga as well? I'd check myself, but I'm afraid if I do so I'd spend the whole day reading the series again.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

JosephWongKS posted:

Was that scene in the anime with Pixis and the fat nobleman in the manga as well? I'd check myself, but I'm afraid if I do so I'd spend the whole day reading the series again.

I don't think it was. I remember being kind of confused as to who he was when he was first mentioned.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Giggily posted:

I don't think it was. I remember being kind of confused as to who he was when he was first mentioned.

It's a pretty nice setup for his appearance. Showing up out of the blue was slightly jarring, and I just read that part last night. The little touches like him stealing the wine and chugging it upon hearing the news that Trost had been breached, and that he was holding back for the slobby nobleman, was nicely done. And the entire rest of the episode was pulse-pounding and intense as expected.

I loving knew that the bit from the first trailer with Eren super well-animatedly zipping through the streets towards that Titan was cut away the MOMENT poo poo went real bad for him. So glad that was the case. I am so intensely hyped up right now, even ten minutes after finishing the episode. Can't wait to see how they handle Titan Eren if they get into it next episode, I wager they'll fit it in there somehow, probably close to the end where he'll save Mikasa.

poo poo, this adaptation, it's so drat good. This SEASON is so drat good, and I've yet to watch half of the "really good shows" I've heard about!

edit:

Mercrom posted:

That was a good episode. If Eren doesn't turn out to have titan regenerating super powers given to him by his mad scientist dad then the next episode will be even better, unless it somehow creates a battle strategy that involves Eren repeatedly feeding himself to titans.

lol

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 5, 2013

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I had a friend who was disappointed that Eren came back as a titan and quit reading, but I told him about all the cool stuff that just... keeps... happening in every chapter and got him to pick it up again.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
God, I can't wait to see titan Eren in motion. I really hope they can capture how brutal everything he does is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

God, I can't wait to see titan Eren in motion. I really hope they can capture how brutal everything he does is.

I'm hoping we see this next week (and that the preview was just avoiding showing titan Eren). I've been rereading the manga and one of the things that continues to impress me is the titan-on-titan fight scenes and how brutal they feel. Titan Eren v titan Annie is going to be amazing. :allears: