Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DrVenkman posted:

I was sure the WCW book says that Nash was booker at the time.
It does, and it's one of several small errors in the book. I remember when the news broke about Nash getting the book from when it happened, and it happened after he dropped the belt to Hogan. Might've even been the week after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

MassRanTer posted:

Here's the thing: That couldn't be their desired outcome. When Hogan lost to Goldberg on Nitro that was the only time they could ever do that match because Hogan wouldn't do the job again. So when they put the belt back on Hogan they knew they were going into a Hogan vs Flair program and Goldberg vs the Outsiders.

The only intelligent and well-reasoned argument to be made out of the situation is this:

gently caress Hulk Hogan.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
While Nash didn't become official sole head booker until some point in 1999, he was effectively running the booking committee after Hogan left in fall 1998.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I remember all of the horrible dirtsheet sites like Wrestlezone blaring "Nash holds the book and the belt" right after he won.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
What should they have done to end his title reign?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Judakel posted:

What should they have done to end his title reign?

Probably have Scott Steiner beat him through slightly screwy means around Bash at the Beach.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I feel like Hulk Hogan really was what brought the death of WCW. I guess he was the core of the nWo and what it made such a big deal (although in hindsight Hollywood Hogan kind of looks like someone's dad trying to be cool with his teenage son's friends), but--combined with the creative control bullshit he pulled and his lukewarm to negative reception he had in his first face run, Hulk Hogan just never seemed like a good idea.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

crankdatbatman posted:

I feel like Hulk Hogan really was what brought the death of WCW. I guess he was the core of the nWo and what it made such a big deal (although in hindsight Hollywood Hogan kind of looks like someone's dad trying to be cool with his teenage son's friends), but--combined with the creative control bullshit he pulled and his lukewarm to negative reception he had in his first face run, Hulk Hogan just never seemed like a good idea.

Hulk Hogan was always going to be an odd fit for WCW, at least before the nWo days. One thing to remember is that in many ways, WCW was still very much a Southern regional promotion. Booker T recently said in an interview about how, even at their height, WCW still tended to stick to the Southern circuit, with the occasional forays up North (to what Booker called "colder cities"). There was likely a sizable contingent of WCW's traditional fanbase that viewed Hogan as an interloper from "New York" and hated him for that reason alone.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jeffersonlives posted:

While Nash didn't become official sole head booker until some point in 1999, he was effectively running the booking committee after Hogan left in fall 1998.
This, I could see. While he wouldn't have final say, he could still have suggested that he beat the streak.

MassRanTer posted:

Probably have Scott Steiner beat him through slightly screwy means around Bash at the Beach.
Hell, I'd have Steiner beat him clean. He'd have been a main-eventer overnight.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
They were actually doing a "chasing the title/nwo" angle with Goldberg starting around December 99 but then he went and punched his fist through that limousine window and was out for 5 months which kinda killed the thing dead.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

MrBling posted:

They were actually doing a "chasing the title/nwo" angle with Goldberg starting around December 99 but then he went and punched his fist through that limousine window and was out for 5 months which kinda killed the thing dead.
That was the nWo revival after Russo took over.
Nash etc. had no serious plans after beating Goldberg and the fingerpoke.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I think Goldberg's streak should have ended with the big names of the NWO doing a run-in and stomping the poo poo out of Goldberg. Instead of making it a one sided thrashfest, have Goldberg just start rampaging across the entire ring destroying people left and right until someone gets a lucky cattle prod hit or a chair shot from behind, or some other nefarious method to take him to his knees. At that point, have the biggest guys hold him down while everyone else stomps on him and Goldberg is still trying to fight them off, perhaps succeeding one or two times before they finally take him down for good. They'd spent all that time building Goldberg up into this unstoppable monster that I think that kind of defeat would have given him a really good push as well as setting up for a really great feud between Goldberg (as leader of team WCW) vs Kevin Nash and the NWO.

Play the story up where Goldberg just utterly trashes the biggest guys in the NWO with Spear + Jackhammer at random times during the match, but also have the NWO guys come out and ambush Goldberg in his matches, backstage, wherever he is. There are so many places you could take that, it seems incredibly obvious that this is what really should have happened. The streak would have been broken but Goldberg would've come out looking like a total beast as well as a serious contender for the belt, as well as giving the face guys a much needed leader that would have inspired fear in the NWO.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

That was the nWo revival after Russo took over.
Nash etc. had no serious plans after beating Goldberg and the fingerpoke.
You're thinking of the beginning of '99, and he's talking about the beginning of 2000. Two years in a row, the nWo reformed on a Nitro after Starrcade to feud with Goldberg. The first time it was ruined by Hogan turning face and feuding with Flair and the nWo just kind of dissolving. The next year it was ruined by Goldberg punching a window.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

I think Goldberg's streak should have ended with the big names of the NWO doing a run-in and stomping the poo poo out of Goldberg. Instead of making it a one sided thrashfest, have Goldberg just start rampaging across the entire ring destroying people left and right until someone gets a lucky cattle prod hit or a chair shot from behind, or some other nefarious method to take him to his knees. At that point, have the biggest guys hold him down while everyone else stomps on him and Goldberg is still trying to fight them off, perhaps succeeding one or two times before they finally take him down for good. They'd spent all that time building Goldberg up into this unstoppable monster that I think that kind of defeat would have given him a really good push as well as setting up for a really great feud between Goldberg (as leader of team WCW) vs Kevin Nash and the NWO.

Play the story up where Goldberg just utterly trashes the biggest guys in the NWO with Spear + Jackhammer at random times during the match, but also have the NWO guys come out and ambush Goldberg in his matches, backstage, wherever he is. There are so many places you could take that, it seems incredibly obvious that this is what really should have happened. The streak would have been broken but Goldberg would've come out looking like a total beast as well as a serious contender for the belt, as well as giving the face guys a much needed leader that would have inspired fear in the NWO.

See you have to do all this dumb poo poo just for a dumb streak that doesn't really mean anything. I kinda agree with nash on this one. If all he had was the streak then what was there in the first place? If taking a loss is that bad then there's a problem.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

RBX posted:

See you have to do all this dumb poo poo just for a dumb streak that doesn't really mean anything. I kinda agree with nash on this one. If all he had was the streak then what was there in the first place? If taking a loss is that bad then there's a problem.

But again, even Goldberg says that the run should've ended sooner or later. It just stopped the momentum of Goldberg as a character dead. Not because he didn't have anything else to offer, but because once the NWO ended the streak they essentially buried him. They had no interest in following through the angle. It never seemed like it was about "Well this has to come to an end at some point" it was more "Hey this guy is insanely popular, we need to do something." hence the immediate hand over to Hogan for the title. The whole thing was nothing more than to restore the status quo. Goldberg was still insanely popular, but WCW didn't seem all that interested which makes a lot of sense when you see who's basically running it.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

RBX posted:

Even if the streak was all Goldberg had, if you have someone has something that gets them over, then why take away that one thing that makes him over particularly in such a lovely way?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RBX posted:

If something is making you money, you don't take it away. If Kevin Nash is telling you something that makes you money isn't important you know he is full of poo poo.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRanTer posted:

If something is making you money, you don't take it away. If Kevin Nash is telling you something that makes you money isn't important you know he is full of poo poo.

Especially considering how motivated by money Kevin has always claimed to be.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
I like Nash and all but he contradicts himself just as much as any other wrestler in trying to claim that he's not a mark for himself to some degree. In various shoot interviews he always goes on about how wrestling is just a job, and he didn't care about winning or losing, and he was just there to make money, and all that sort of thing.

Then he'll turn right around and talk about how he argued with various guys (even Shawn at one time or another) about who was going to eat a loss in a match.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I was rewatching the Rise and Fall of WCW documentary on Netflix and at the part when Scott Hall and Kevin Nash first show up as The Outsiders, Nash said "So this is where the big boys play, huh? Look at the adjective: play."

I busted out laughing that Nash hosed up something so easy as verb identification. Completely petty and stupid, but it's indicative of WCW as a whole really.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

HonorableTB posted:

I was rewatching the Rise and Fall of WCW documentary on Netflix and at the part when Scott Hall and Kevin Nash first show up as The Outsiders, Nash said "So this is where the big boys play, huh? Look at the adjective: play."

I busted out laughing that Nash hosed up something so easy as verb identification. Completely petty and stupid, but it's indicative of WCW as a whole really.

That cracks me up and it gets shown on every Botchamania. Makes me laugh when he has that goofy look on his face too.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I like Nash and all but he contradicts himself just as much as any other wrestler in trying to claim that he's not a mark for himself to some degree. In various shoot interviews he always goes on about how wrestling is just a job, and he didn't care about winning or losing, and he was just there to make money, and all that sort of thing.

To be fair to Nash you do make more money when you are in the main event and you stay in the main event by winning.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DrVenkman posted:

That cracks me up and it gets shown on every Botchamania. Makes me laugh when he has that goofy look on his face too.

I always crack up at that shot of the wrestler in-front of a blackboard: VERB!

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

Some people argue that it wasn't a botch, he just phrased it wrong and didn't pause when he should have.

"So this is where the big boys play, huh? Look at the adjective. (Meaning big, seeing as he was larger than pretty much the entire roster, Hall is a big guy as well) (longer pause) Play? We ain't here to play." That would have made sense but he just ran everything together and looked like a doofus.

But he probably just hosed it up regardless and it's still funny.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Critical posted:

Some people argue that it wasn't a botch, he just phrased it wrong and didn't pause when he should have.

"So this is where the big boys play, huh? Look at the adjective. (Meaning big, seeing as he was larger than pretty much the entire roster, Hall is a big guy as well) (longer pause) Play? We ain't here to play." That would have made sense but he just ran everything together and looked like a doofus.

But he probably just hosed it up regardless and it's still funny.

I don't know, there's really too much thought going into that. Occam's razor says he hosed up.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

bartok posted:

To be fair to Nash you do make more money when you are in the main event and you stay in the main event by winning.

Yeah, I dunno, this sounds to me more like a rationalization used by guys who were insecure about their spot and paranoid about losing it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

crankdatbatman posted:

I don't know, there's really too much thought going into that. Occam's razor says he hosed up.
I'm the guy who makes that argument and I'd say either way it's a fuckup of the highest caliber and a great example of why punctuation is important.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
After Meltzer talking Hogan's WCW contract the other night I can't stop laughing at the idea that Hulk Hogan got paid $600,000 to pin Jeff Jarrett at BatB 2000. What a company.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Is there any evidence that the people running TNA have ever been cognizant of all the things WCW did wrong? Because they're feeding the same egos and re-hashing the same ideas. They even had Vince Russo writing for them.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Animal-Mother posted:

Is there any evidence that the people running TNA have ever been cognizant of all the things WCW did wrong? Because they're feeding the same egos and re-hashing the same ideas. They even had Vince Russo writing for them.

It's really simple: Dixie doesn't know how to run a wrestling company, so she listens to anyone who she thinks knows better.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Animal-Mother posted:

I dunno, but I don't mind reiterating that for all the lessons to be learned from WCW, apparently the only one Dixie and the rest of TNA management seem to have taken away was "If you spend a bunch of money, maybe one day you can beat Vince! :downs:"

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Jack Krauser posted:

It's really simple: Dixie doesn't know how to run a wrestling company, so she listens to anyone who she thinks knows better.

And the people she thinks know better are partly responsible for WCW's fuckups, but they don't accept any responsibility for it whatsoever. Why would they change what they're doing?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Animal-Mother posted:

For all people gripe about the McMahons (and their gripes are legit) and the problems with the product/company, at least Vince McMahon can run a wrestling company. The sheer incompetence and lack of intelligence demonstrated by 95% of wrestling promoters in history makes me amazed wrestling even exists at all sometimes.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Considering less than 1% of wrestling companies wound up being successful in the long run, I'd say TNA's doing quite well at going out of business for over ten years. They're like a carpet warehouse.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

Considering less than 1% of wrestling companies wound up being successful in the long run, I'd say TNA's doing quite well at going out of business for over ten years. They're like a carpet warehouse.

Yes, they are doing well having lost $50 million+ over the past 10 years. This is the sign of a company doing quite well when they keep losing money year after year. By this logic WCW was doing quite well when they posted losses for 7 straight years.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I think he's joking about how great they are at losing money

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

In particular, 'carpet warehouse' is a reference to those places that have "going out of business" sales in perpetuity. Not bad!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

LividLiquid posted:

Except that carpet warehouses are usually pretty successful in convincing their marks to part with their money. :v:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

I think he's joking about how great they are at losing money

Haha, yeah. I missed that one. Sorry about that!

Edit: and it was a good joke on top of that.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Except that carpet warehouses are usually pretty successful in convincing their marks to part with their money. :v:
I did mix the metaphors there.

TNA should be dead because they've made money in only one quarter of the last nine years and then they immediately decided to spend almost twice as much money for no appreciable benefit.

TNA is terrible.

(Not as funny when you say it like that.)