Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Grimes posted:

I'm looking for some games which are story driven and in the ballpark of maybe 3-5 hours long. I'm open to any genre, really.

The Walking Dead (the Telltale-made episodic games) or To The Moon might suit you. Each episode of TWD takes about 3 hours to complete, so that should keep you set for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Yeah, The Walking Dead seems perfect for what you want. It is entirely story-driven, and while the episodes are strongly linked and tell a story together, every episode still stands on its own and delivers a satisfying story in itself.

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

Grimes posted:

I'm looking for some games which are story driven and in the ballpark of maybe 3-5 hours long. I'm open to any genre, really.

Could you give some examples of games you've played that fit the criteria, I don't want to recommend a bunch of games you've already played. Also is there a console restriction on that? Obvious examples would be Portal (beatable in 30 minutes) and it's sequel which is a fair bit longer. Amnesia: The Dark Descent is also a great experience driven horror game that's not all that long, easily done in a day or two.
Bastion is also a good little game so a +1 to that recommendation. Also a +1 to The Walking Dead.

edited- I'm a retard who forgets to quote.

twitch and spasm
Jul 21, 2010
After playing Blood dragon I have a wanting of open world games, could someone recommend a few recent ones? If not then how about a good recent 4X strategy or adventure?

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Marigi posted:

After playing Blood dragon I have a wanting of open world games, could someone recommend a few recent ones? If not then how about a good recent 4X strategy or adventure?
How recent? Just Cause 2 is one of the best sandbox games of the past few years. Prototype 2 is good fun also.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

joshtothemaxx posted:

How about bastion? It's more like 6 though. Charles Barkley shut up and jam gaiden is only about 4-5 if you're ok with ridiculousness and insanity.
Beat both of those. Thanks, though. :)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

TehGherkin posted:

Am I supposed to be seeing a cutscene or anything at the start of the game or not? I just wanna make sure I don't miss the cutscenes whenever they DO come.

There aren't any cutscenes - the closest thing is just the static images that show up sometimes when loading a new chapter. All the plot is told through the text terminals you can found throughout the levels.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I really enjoy exploration in open world games, especially ones with nice scenery. Seeing what's past the next ridge or at the top of a mountain in Skyrim, Fallout 3/NV or games like that is just really enjoyable and addictive for me. However, I'd like a game to play which scratches that itch which has as little combat as possible for playing just to chill out. Either just pure exploration (or with relatively avoidable combat), or something with fetch/social type quests would be fine. I already have Just Cause 2 & Red Dead Redemption (both of those two obviously have a fair amount of combat, unless you take pains to avoid it), Dear Esther, Miasmata (which has its stressful moments, obviously) and Minecraft.

Any suggestions?

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 4, 2013

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I really enjoy exploration in open world games, especially ones with nice scenery. Seeing what's past the next ridge or at the top of a mountain in Skyrim, Fallout 3/NV or games like that is just really enjoyable and addictive for me. However, I'd like a game to play which scratches that itch which has as little combat as possible for playing just to chill out. Either just pure exploration (or with relatively avoidable combat), or something with fetch/social type quests would be fine. I already have Just Cause 2 & Red Dead Redemption (both of those two obviously have a fair amount of combat, unless you take pains to avoid it), Dear Esther, Miasmata (which has its stressful moments, obviously) and Minecraft.

Any suggestions?
Not 3D/open world like the other games you mentioned but for the pure exploration aspect I really like Nifflas' games, particularly Knytt Stories.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Any suggestions?

I'd take a look at FUEL. The actual racing is mediocre but you can essentially ignore it and just plonk yourself down in free roam mode with a custom soundtrack and drive. The map is enormous (with no loading screens) and it's still pretty even though the game's from 2009. Without doing any races at all you won't have any collectibles to hunt down (and less vehicles to choose from), but that won't matter much if you're just in it for a relaxing hour or two of vehicular exploration.

edit: Actually you can always just unlock everything through the REFUELED mod so that you 100% won't need to do any actual racing.

edit2: vvv Yes, that would be REFUELED.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 4, 2013

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Is FUEL the one with some specific mod that makes it way better? I have a vague recollection of hearing about that...

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Glare Seethe posted:

I'd take a look at FUEL. The actual racing is mediocre but you can essentially ignore it and just plonk yourself down in free roam mode with a custom soundtrack and drive. The map is enormous (with no loading screens) and it's still pretty even though the game's from 2009. Without doing any races at all you won't have any collectibles to hunt down (and less vehicles to choose from), but that won't matter much if you're just in it for a relaxing hour or two of vehicular exploration.

edit: Actually you can always just unlock everything through the REFUELED mod so that you 100% won't need to do any actual racing.

edit2: vvv Yes, that would be REFUELED.

How does the co-op function in FUEL?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Captain Beans posted:

How does the co-op function in FUEL?

I've no idea I'm afraid, I only ever played it solo. Hopefully someone else can chime in about the multiplayer.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Time again for obscure ideas to search into other games!

Topic for today? Mercenaries.

Typically mercenaries are generic faceless badguys in your FPS. But what I'm looking for is being an actual, well... mercenary. Mercenaries 2: World in Flames is an excellent example, but let me give another example.

I once played a game called Shining Force 3. It was a turn based rpg/strategy about some medieval fantasy land with a bunch of anime factions at war, and a kingdom of cat people. No really. Anyway, while the story was retarded and anime and the gameplay itself was mediocre at best, the premise was interesting to me. Basically the main story, which was stupid, was on it's own. The nations in this fantasy world attacked each other and conquered one another if left alone. You'd gain exp/gold/loot for doing odd jobs but also joining in on the attackers or defender's sides and influencing who won the battle. You'd get new characters as recruits for defeated kingdoms, but ideally you could make any nation win by repeatedly taking their side. Thus, mercenaries.

Bladestorm: The hundred years war was also like this to a lesser degree. Your only choices were England or France, but both sides would gladly duke it out regardless of what the hell you did. But whatever you did do was still there even if you switched sides the next day. You'd get story missions by sucking up to the generals on both sides, basically making your sword the biggest whore in bloodshed in all of paris.

So, goons. I feel like playing for the highest bidder. Play the relationships of factions and nations against each other. I want a game where I can be a mercenary. (That isn't any of the above mentioned titles)

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Drakenel posted:

So, goons. I feel like playing for the highest bidder. Play the relationships of factions and nations against each other. I want a game where I can be a mercenary. (That isn't any of the above mentioned titles)

Fallout 2 or New Vegas, maybe?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Fallout 2 or New Vegas, maybe?

Good ideas, though I've played those as well. Thank you though!

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Drakenel posted:

I once played a game called Shining Force 3. It was a turn based rpg/strategy about some medieval fantasy land with a bunch of anime factions at war, and a kingdom of cat people. No really. Anyway, while the story was retarded and anime and the gameplay itself was mediocre at best, the premise was interesting to me. Basically the main story, which was stupid, was on it's own. The nations in this fantasy world attacked each other and conquered one another if left alone. You'd gain exp/gold/loot for doing odd jobs but also joining in on the attackers or defender's sides and influencing who won the battle. You'd get new characters as recruits for defeated kingdoms, but ideally you could make any nation win by repeatedly taking their side. Thus, mercenaries.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Tactics Ogre? Shining Force 3 was very linear and the interplay between the nations was completely scripted.

If not, you should play Tactics Ogre. Also a little anime, but definitely more freedom with regard to taking sides and getting troops.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Drakenel posted:

Have you ever played any of the Way of the Samurai games? They have a kind of CYOA feel to their stories, and usually offer you the freedom to play factions off each other.

Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries and MechCommander 1 and 2 each have some mercenary elements to them, as does the VERY Russian Star Wolves series.

Another one that just occurred to me is Sacrifice

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Are you sure you're not thinking of Tactics Ogre? Shining Force 3 was very linear and the interplay between the nations was completely scripted.

I'm pretty sure this is what he meant. It is the ~*~anime~*~est SRPG I've ever seen, though there were apparently two before it.

Edit: Now that I'm thinking about the subject, the Armored Core series gives you freedom to choose (and betray) your employers at will.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 5, 2013

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

Have you ever played any of the Way of the Samurai games? They have a kind of CYOA feel to their stories, and usually offer you the freedom to play factions off each other.

Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries and MechCommander 1 and 2 each have some mercenary elements to them, as does the VERY Russian Star Wolves series.

Another one that just occurred to me is Sacrifice

I'm pretty sure this is what he meant. It is the ~*~anime~*~est SRPG I've ever seen, though there were apparently two before it.

Edit: Now that I'm thinking about the subject, the Armored Core series gives you freedom to choose (and betray) your employers at will.

You are a cool dude and you are also correct, I'm a forgetful twit.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Drakenel posted:

You are a cool dude and you are also correct, I'm a forgetful twit.

I can't really blame you for not wanting to remember the details of that game; I bought it for my roommate as a gag gift on his birthday and it is just anime as all gently caress.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Kind of a vaugue request, but I have been really super into Game of Thrones recently. Is there an RPG out there that... scratches the same kind of itch that the books/HBO series do? Not really interesting the actual game of thrones game, but was wondering if anyone suggest a game that follows lines that that.

I haven't played many RPGs so if there is an obvious one out there I probably haven't played it.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

bigperm posted:

Kind of a vaugue request, but I have been really super into Game of Thrones recently. Is there an RPG out there that... scratches the same kind of itch that the books/HBO series do? Not really interesting the actual game of thrones game, but was wondering if anyone suggest a game that follows lines that that.

I haven't played many RPGs so if there is an obvious one out there I probably haven't played it.

I think that the witcher 2 would scratch that itch, it might not seem like it but it reminded me a lot of the books. Similar setting, lots of characters, dragons and a bunch of feudal family drama. Also it's a really good game to boot.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

bigperm posted:

What is the itch you are looking to scratch from Game of Thrones? If you like all the plotn' & schemein' you should get Crusader Kings 2. You can overthrow kings, get killed on a hunt, murder your gay/idiot/midget heir, throw your wife in prison, poison the pope ect. Basically all the good stuff that makes Game of Thrones or Tudors a good show: subterfuge and underhanded dealings.

Just diving into the game blind is kind of a shock but a goon did a great LP/Learn to Play in the archives: http://lparchive.org/Crusader-Kings-2/

Also there is a straight up Game of Thrones mod which is very popular, changes the world map/characters/events ect. Ask in the CK2 thread and someone should will get you a link. It's not really an RPG but I would at least read about and see if it is what you are looking for.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

bigperm posted:

Witcher 2 sounds like the best example you're looking for, its more fantastical than Game of Thrones, but there's a fair share of backstabbing and political machinations going on.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Captain Beans posted:

What is the itch you are looking to scratch from Game of Thrones?
I wish I could put my finger on what I find so fascinating about it - some of it I find endlessly annoying but at the same time I keep wanting more and more of all of it.

I will check out Witcher 2 and Crusader Kings 2. Thanks for suggestions.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

bigperm posted:

Funny since it was just erroneously brought up, but you might like Tactics Ogre. It's a dark fantasy SRPG with lots of political intrigue (it's loosely based on the Yugoslav Wars), branching story paths, and well-written characters it certainly isn't afraid to kill off. The remake on PSP is the best version overall due to added content and a superior translation, though it unfortunately also shoehorns in a really lovely and unnecessary crafting system.

The easiest way to play it, though, would be to emulate the original Super Famicom version. There's a translation patch that inserts the text from the US PS1 version—which isn't bad, but it's pretty crude and full of awkward profanity.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

bigperm posted:

Why not the actual Game of Thrones RPG game? It's rough around the edges, which drove the review scores down, but it's actually a surprisingly good RPG.

Unless of course you've already played it, in which case Witcher 2 is the closest.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What's a good RPG timesink that I can spend hundreds of hours on, on my Vita that's not a Final Fantasy game?

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005
Because we want to! Because we want to!

Marigi posted:

I fully and whole-heartedly recommend Red Faction: Guerrilla. You'll be able to find it on steam for cheap. If you have an xbox 360 controller that goes well with it but is not necessary.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Xandoom posted:

What's a good RPG timesink that I can spend hundreds of hours on, on my Vita that's not a Final Fantasy game?
Persona 4: The Golden, its one of the best JRPGs ever, get it now.

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005
What are some videogames where you can play as a skeleton? All I can think of right now is Dota 2.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ganty posted:

What are some videogames where you can play as a skeleton? All I can think of right now is Dota 2.
The Medievil games have you play as a skeleton knight. I haven't played it, but there's Breath of Death too.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Grim Fandango.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Drakenel posted:

How about Mount & Blade: Warband

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Ganty posted:

Darksiders 2? Kind of? I guess it's just the head.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Ganty posted:

There's at least one mod for Skyrim that makes skeletons a playable "race"

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xandoom posted:

Disgaea 3. Provided you aren't interested in the game telling a very serious story.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

Persona 4: The Golden, its one of the best JRPGs ever, get it now.

I was thinking this or Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. Which out of those two would you reccomend?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ganty posted:

Breath of Death is a humourous indie JRPG-like where the main character is an undead skeleton.

EDIT: /\ I recommend Persona 4 out of those two. Persona 4 is a classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005

Accordion Man posted:

The Medievil games have you play as a skeleton knight. I haven't played it, but there's Breath of Death too.

These are pretty good games. I have Breath of Death from when it was 67p on Steam. Maybe I'll try it but I'll probably get sick of the random encounters.

Dicky B posted:

Grim Fandango.

I've tried so many times to get this to work properly on Windows 7. I'll always get really close and then one single thing will gently caress up and the Grim Fandango house of cards comes crashing down.

Ashenai posted:

Darksiders 2? Kind of? I guess it's just the head.

Are you implying that Skeletor also doesn't count as a skeleton? Skeletor can be whatever he wants to be. I don't know if there are any games where you can play as Skeletor but there should be.

There's at least one mod for Skyrim that makes skeletons a playable "race"

If characters reacted appropriately this would be awesome. That's not really feasible but I'm just sayin'.