Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Just saw this at the bar. Sorry for the lovely camera phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Saw this downtown today. Right hand drive with a chauffeur. :staredog:

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

There was a decent-sized car show/swap meet/flea market right down the road from my work yesterday, which of course I was working for the full duration of it. Saw a couple gorgeous cars from the road - black '69 Charger, plum crazy '69 Roadrunner, a couple old '30s rods. Really hoping there's another one in the area soon that I can book off work for.

Managed to get this from my phone at a stop light. License plate says 1LOMERC, sounded heavenly. No clue what the truck in front of it was.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Goober Peas posted:

Was watching Season 2 of Quincy, M.E. today and came across this jewel:

:stare: what appears to be a Cadillac Eldorado Station Wagon

See also the rare and elusive beast, the Cadmino:

They were usually flower cars for parades.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese
Car show in Golden yesterday.

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007
Saw this in the parking lot at the grocery store today. Fucker took up two Small Car spaces.
First time I've seen one in the wild and first time seeing one that wasn't eggplant purple.

e: for mondo huge-o

meatcookie fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 5, 2013

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Doccers posted:

Car show in Golden yesterday.

I first saw this guy in Idaho Springs, but he goes to the Super Cruise quite often. I'm so totally in love with that car, minus the stick-on autozone stuff.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Not pictured: I saw a car with the plate "PAS GAS" the other day. Complimented the guy at a red light on his funny plate. Turns out he's an anesthesiologist. He actually does pass gas for a living. It was a g37 for anyone who cares about that sort of thing.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

some texas redneck posted:

This is downtown Dallas right? Because I was recording a wedding in D.C. with the same car. I don't have the memory card with me so I'll take a still from video later, but in the meantime megarule so here's something high res:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

davebo posted:

This is downtown Dallas right? Because I was recording a wedding in D.C. with the same car. I don't have the memory card with me so I'll take a still from video later, but in the meantime megarule so here's something high res:

Yeah, downtown Dallas. Know any background on it?

This is sorta AI related, and it was neat to ride:

Brief history on that car:

Wikipedia posted:

369 was built in 1925 by James Moore, Ltd. for the Melbourne & Metropolitan Tramway Board in Melbourne, Australia. The W2-class car was in continuous service in Melbourne for six decades before being purchased by MATA in 1986. Matilda arrived in Portland, Oregon by ship and was then trucked to Dallas. Acquired in running order, Matilda only required cosmetic modifications to give her a more North American appearance. In 2008, the car was equipped with air conditioning (eight roof-mounted units, powered by an inverter hidden under a seat).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 6, 2013

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

meatcookie posted:

Saw this in the parking lot at the grocery store today. Fucker took up two Small Car spaces.
First time I've seen one in the wild and first time seeing one that wasn't eggplant purple.

e: for mondo huge-o

What a massive screw-up for Chrysler. Such an awesome car with such an awful drivetrain.

Mazda's new Skyactiv diesel race car is sexy as hell.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Just saw this at the bar. Sorry for the lovely camera phone.

Sweet.

Out and about in SoCal

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012
IF I CONTINUE TO WHINE ABOUT THE PROBATIONS I RECEIVE, REPORT THIS POST SO THAT I CAN BE PROBATED AGAIN

angryhampster posted:

What a massive screw-up for Chrysler. Such an awesome car with such an awful drivetrain.

Yes, truly tragic that it was only as fast as the contemporary Mustang GT with its bigger motor and had a more reliable automatic transmission and handled fucktons better all in a car that wasnt designed for speed or handling anyway. What a waste.

Yeah, im not crazy about the purple but i certainly wouldnt turn one away.

Vigo327 fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 6, 2013

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Rough day for my syncros:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3524607&pagenumber=7#post415143639
I made it into this spot at my trusted shop:

I guess this is some Bermuda Triangle of the Mazda curse. I saw that I'd parked between 2 NAs, but then there's another Miata in the row behind us and then an FC in the way back. And the CX7.

A lime green Rabbit that I've been meaning to get a pic of:

Usually, broad daylight pics on my phone are pretty true to life colorwise, but here the green is a tad washed out.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Came across this outside my apartment the other day. Is it what I think it is?!

Either way I classify any WRX STI coupe as AI:

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 6, 2013

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Yeah, downtown Dallas. Know any background on it?

I think the driver said it was a '52 Bentley. Here's a shot of the one I saw.

One thing that really ruined the look is it had a large QR code on the back of it. Nothing screams "1952" like a digital sticker you scan with a cell phone.

sybir
Sep 10, 2004
Uhhh, what?

LiquidRain posted:

.....What do you think it is? I see a Ver6 Type R with Tommykaira wheels?

Content: the only aftermarket wheels I've seen that look acceptable on a Conti. Flashy, yes, but I'd rock it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So, in celebration of the fact that I think we've finally gone enough pages without having to probate multiple people for not putting a pic in the post... I think we can try a little more relaxed ruleset here, since so many of these pictures do warrant discussion on their own. But, I want to keep things interesting, and I still want the majority of posts in this thread to have photos.

So... not every post in the thread has to have an AI picture in it. However, every time we hit a new page, I'm going to go through the previous full page, and if there are 20 or more posts on the page that do not have a picture (meaning there are not at least 21 with-picture posts) on the page, everyone who didn't post a pic gets a probation for being part of the problem and not the solution. If I have to use it too many times we'll have to go back to the current pic-per-post rule, so I hope you guys are good.

As far as AI content, I think a plane with a wingspan equal to a 747's, that flew from San Francisco to Phoenix utilizing only solar power (and battery power that was generated by its own solar panels) counts.

They've got Solar Impulse set up at Sky Harbor for the next week or so, it's definitely worth checking out. Kinda crazy how much of the airplane is essentially empty space; the batteries themselves are only located in each of the four gondolas along with their respective motors. Seems like landing it would be on par with landing a U2, it has ridiculously spindly landing gear on each of the wingtips and under the cockpit. They're necessary to deal with the massively tall vertical stabilizer.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
While I don't know if this came off a car it is pretty AI.

quote:

Its a bolt that measures 2 3/4 inches diameter, 11 inches long and 7 threads per inch. A few of us got together to figure out how much force it would take to stretch it based on a grade 5 bolt's tensile strength. It would take about 712000 pounds to stretch it but not break it. I have no idea what it came off of, but it weighs about 30 pounds.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Give me that bolt and I will make some hammers from it :black101:

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Saw this yesterday, had a 5 minute laugh, am now looking at Miatas on Craigslist :stare:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

davebo posted:

I think the driver said it was a '52 Bentley. Here's a shot of the one I saw.

One thing that really ruined the look is it had a large QR code on the back of it. Nothing screams "1952" like a digital sticker you scan with a cell phone.

That'd be a Bentley Mark VI, produced from '48 to '52 if wikipedia is to be believed. My dad had a '51 once, back when I was around 6-10 years old. I'll try to dig up some pictures.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
The first Spring with my first car. Just gave it a nice wash and now it's looking sleek. I always told my friends it had great acceleration for a 4-cylinder...then I found out I was an idiot and it's actually a 3.5-liter V6, 255hp. Not bad at all.

To me, this is awesome AI car poo poo because it's my own car and I'm excited :buddy:

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

LiquidRain posted:

It's not a 22B if that's what you're asking.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The fun part with bolts/nuts/studs /etc like that is that they end up on stuff like ASME 900 # flanges with gaskets that are basically a metal o-ring like this :

Gasket seating torque is something like 7200 ft lbs...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Timmy Cruise posted:

The fun part with bolts/nuts/studs /etc like that is that they end up on stuff like ASME 900 # flanges with gaskets that are basically a metal o-ring like this :

Gasket seating torque is something like 7200 ft lbs...

Torque measured in Mile-pounds. Awesome.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

LiquidRain posted:

Since we're on the topic here's my 1998 WRX STI Type-RA V-Limited (Version 4), #544 of 555 (I hope sedans still count as AI). ~280hp from factory with driver-controlled center differential and helical front LSD (rear is an r180 diff, plated LSD). Apologies for cell phone pics as I picked it up only a couple days ago. Sorry also to the people from the Subaru thread who are seeing the same pics again.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 7, 2013

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Sedans are perfectly AI!!
I parked next to this IH Scout yesterday, awesome to see it with the top off, too bad it's a fuzzy pic.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Sure looks like a Rolls Royce Silver Wraith to me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Was in my work a few days ago, fresh off the boat from japan. Bonus shot of my gaudy-assed bike.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

blugu64 posted:

Sure looks like a Rolls Royce Silver Wraith to me.

Yeah, but look closer. It's a Bentley Mark VI.

Here's a few shots of the one my dad had, with my youngest sister:

My middle sister, this was one of her high school graduation photos.

And me, age 7.

In that last pic you can see why my dad could actually afford this car, it had an epoxy paint job, which was new to the body shop, and they put the color coat on before the primer had cured. The primer outgassed and raised bubbles all over the car like you see there on the hood. The car looked great from about 15 feet away, but that's it. Also it looks like my dad was terrible about getting wax in all the cracks.

It had beautiful soft green leather on the seats and burled walnut on all the door and window frames. Other than the paint it was a very nice car overall. It had other problems too, like the sunroof panel wasn't attached right and flew out of the car on the highway once. Fortunately nobody behind us got hit or ran it over, and aside from scratched paint it was fine.

In 1979 we drove this car from Portland to Monterey CA for the Rolls Royce Owner's Club national meet, which coincided with the 75th anniversary of Rolls Royce, and also coincided with the pebble beach concours. Somewhere in my parents' house there are a whole pack of photos of that meet. I remember the drive down, my dad had someone weld brackets on the bumper mounts so he could tow this car behind a rented motor home, but one of them bent on the way and he ended up having to drive the car while my mom drove the RV the whole way down. I fell in love with a girl named Kathleen Sweeny from New York, and of course never saw her again but I still remember her name. I remember some incredible playgrounds in the bay area, and we stayed at the Doubletree Inn. My parents still have a canvas bag that was filled with swag from the meet, and I think my father's addiction to cars was officially passed on to me during that trip.

He sold that car in 1980 for $6000, and another car, and with the money bought the 1923 Rolls that we kept for over a decade, and was the first car I ever did serious work on with my dad at age 12. We pulled the head together and I learned how to use a torque wrench.

Ah, memories.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
I couldn't sleep so I was browsing eBay when I came across the coolest/cutest drat thing ever, a 1:8 scale Porsche 2.7 RS engine. Get ready for sticker shock!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultrarare-Marushin-1973-Porsche-911-RS-Carrera-18-Engine-model-Kits-/330915896410

And what it looks when built:

Still not impressed? Did I mention you can make it run with compressed air?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQsdaQQMc2s

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

Went to another great Breakfast Club at Goodwood at the weekend, Soft-Top Sunday was the theme this time. Selection of photos here, more if you click the links. :)

DSC_0159 by Phil Tickner, on Flickr

DSC_0129 by Phil Tickner, on Flickr

DSC_0027 by Phil Tickner, on Flickr

...and the car we took this time, and got a decent space in the paddocks with.

DSC_0074 by Phil Tickner, on Flickr

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The wheels are a bit big but phwoar.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

The wheels are a bit big but phwoar.

WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Apparent that beauty is this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borgward_Hansa_1500

AzizAnstarmie
Dec 17, 2010

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

I couldn't sleep so I was browsing eBay when I came across the coolest/cutest drat thing ever, a 1:8 scale Porsche 2.7 RS engine. Get ready for sticker shock!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultrarare-Marushin-1973-Porsche-911-RS-Carrera-18-Engine-model-Kits-/330915896410

And what it looks when built:

That's awesome and I think I've found a new way to familiarize myself with how engines actually work.

I'm going to head to my local hobby shop and try to find one of those, or equivalent, as I don't think I can wait on shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Ruh-roh, GM has been seen doing preliminary benchmarking of the next ZR1.