Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

:allears:

Edit: In case ya haven't seen it: Here it is~

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Janelle Monae getting 90s as gently caress. Not that that's a bad thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acT_PSAZ7BQ

A picture:

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 5, 2013

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Today is the anniversary of the Kent State Massacre. :smith:

The body of Jeffrey Miller.

Alison Krause and Jeffrey Miller, both of whom were participating in the protest at the time of the shooting.

William Schroeder and Sandra Scheuer, who were just walking from one class to another.

Malkamar
Mar 15, 2009
MY DEAD HUSBAND WAS FULL OF SHIT

I'm a Kent State student and one of my professors dedicated one of my classes last week towards walking the class around the area in which the massacre occurred and informing us as to what exactly happened. Didn't know a lot of the finer details before then, especially not the bit about the National Guard turning and firing on dispersing students.

Best shot of the memorial I could find.

Subliminal Sauce
Apr 6, 2010

Spreading freedom and spreading it thick; that's just a thing us right-wing nutjobs do!

Is the steel art thing still there, other side of Taylor Hall? Are they still fat? (They're from Ravenna lol)

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Kent State is doing all it can to honor the students that died on May 4th . They even put lights up in the spots where they were killed after they turned it into a parking lot.

The memorial was planned to be a lot bigger, but it (and the event itself) has always resistance from the administration. People still blame the entire thing on the hippies that trucked in from Hiram and Oberlin.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Sculpture George Segal made as commemoration for the shootings. The university didn't want it and so its now at Princeton's Sculpture Garden.

It depicts Abraham and Isaac.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/05/05/when-christians-become-a-hated-minority/?hpt=hp_c1

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Rick Santorum at the NRA convention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bQQEIgmFgg

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

My immediate though:

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqeUmYj9cp8

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
Normandie-Niemen a free french figther regiment on the eastern front because de Gaulle was loving crazy and wanted the free french to fight on all fronts

quote:

At the end of the war, the regiment had claimed 273 enemy aircraft shot down, 37 probables, and lost 87 aircraft and 52 pilots in return. Some 5,240 sorties were flown and the unit took part in 869 dogfights. The unit also destroyed 27 trains, 22 locomotives, two E-boats, 132 trucks, and 24 staff cars. Forty-two of the squadron's pilots were killed and 30 reached ace status

de Gaulle inspecting a (french) scout troop in england

de Gaulle arrives in Normandy

free french navy commandos in normandy

free french commandos in Marseille taking over a german gun

French soldier in 1939 during the Saar offensive against Germany

French submarine Surcouf because 8 inch guns on a submarine makes sense

quote:

Surcouf was designed as an "underwater cruiser", intended to seek and engage in surface combat

the chinese natioanlist army of Chiang Kai Shek was trained and equiped by weimar germany in the late 1920s early 1930s

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Found a cool blog about Yugoslavia yesterday:
http://yugoslavian.blogspot.de/

:swoon:

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Trench_Rat posted:

free french stuff

How ironic it would have been if that Free French regiment on the Eastern Front had run into these guys.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Reminder that most Free French troops were colonials, primarily from North and Sub-Saharan Africa, such as this man from Chad.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Orange Devil posted:

Reminder that most Free French troops were colonials, primarily from North and Sub-Saharan Africa, such as this man from Chad.

And they got hosed really hard after the war by being denied pensions and other veterans benefits. :france:

A little known part of history: Prior to the war Germany had toyed with the idea of making Brittany a puppet state after a successful invasion of France as a childish sort of revenge against France for taking Alsace and Lorraine back. During the 30s Breton fascists had contacts with the German government, even allegedly receiving a few small arms shipments in the late 30s. The plan was for the Breton fascists to conduct an uprising in Brittany to divert French forces away from the German front. The Breton fascists way overstated their numbers (the Breton militias during the occupation had no more than a few hundred members) to the Germans, the Germans found out and decided to drop the whole plan. During the occupation they were given leave to form militias and persecute leftists while conducting the creepy political theater all fascists seem to love. The backlash against right wing nationalists lasts to this day, hence why all but a tiny handful of Breton nationalists nowadays are left wing.

The tiny handful of modern fascists don't even bother to not use the Breton version of the German war ensign. Those poor kids :smith:

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Orange Devil posted:

All of whom got hosed during Whites Only victory celebrations in Paris:

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
is that some sort of perversion of the imperial german war ensign

edit: flagchat om my

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Trench_Rat posted:

is that some sort of perversion of the imperial german war ensign

edit: flagchat om my

It's a variant on the war ensign the Nazis used.

Breton fascists used the triskele as their version of the swastika. It's lost that association these days.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
De Gaulle?

Mai 68 :france:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 18, 2014

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Bonus gallery of Tsarist white army propaganda. The whites really hated Jews, drat.

http://imgur.com/a/plpp3

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I just stumbled upon a couple of images on my hard drive I saved ages ago. I don't remember exactly, but I think it is from a German translation of Alain Manesson Mallet's Description de l'Universe (1683).

"The peoples of Zanguebar"

"The inhabitants of the Sonda islands"

"The women of Syria"

"Zaogani, King of the Blacks" (No further information about him, sorry)

"The Arabs"

"The Blacks"

"Count Mogol"

"The Japanese"

"The peoples of Congo"

"The King of Persia"

"The Persians"

"An old Knight Hospitaller"

"The Mandarins or knights"

"The peoples of Monomotapa"

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Kent State chat reminded me of the sculpture they put on my campus to commemorate it, I guess by the same guy who did one at Kent. "Bridge Over Troubled Waters," Don Drumm, at BGSU

Drumm also did the trippy mural all over the side of the library

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

System Metternich posted:

I just stumbled upon a couple of images on my hard drive I saved ages ago. I don't remember exactly, but I think it is from a German translation of Alain Manesson Mallet's Description de l'Universe (1683).

I looked up the original French books on Google Books and it's a pretty interesting read.

There's a chapter on Corsica and I love how the French stereotypes about Corsican people haven't changed in centuries :allears: "They hate working and love hunting: they are the most revengeful people in the world and their hatred is the most dangerous.They love weapons"

"Corsican man".

Being half-Corsican myself, gun culture and hunting is definitely a thing on the island and vendetta (honor murders) were very murderous up to the 20th century, but reading about the lazy Corsican stereotype in the 17th century has me in stitches.

When Corsica is in the news radio or tv show hosts make jokes how they don't any problem with Corsicans because they like their cars/houses too much and don't want it to be bombed :v:

Parody of the Regional Corsican news by les Inconnus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAyzSnJ_SGk

(They did the same gag with the Basque: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUhj9cIDo7Q)

Edit:

VVVVVVVVV: Yeah he came in France to be educated as a child and he was nicknamed "La paille au nez" (straw in the nose), based on the Corsican pronunciation of Napoleon: Napulione.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 5, 2013

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Haha, yeah the French had some weird relationship with Corsica, you'd never think one of their most famed leaders was from that island.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Plutonis posted:

Haha, yeah the French had some weird relationship with Corsica, you'd never think one of their most famed leaders was from that island.

"France needs no Corsica to be great. France is great because she is France. Quia nomina leo."

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

Parody of the Regional Corsican news by les Inconnus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAyzSnJ_SGk

(They did the same gag with the Basque: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUhj9cIDo7Q)

I got a giggle out of the Breton one.

Mexicans reenacting the Battle of Puebla, where Mexican forces beat a larger and better equipped French force in 1863.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Soviet Commubot posted:

I got a giggle out of the Breton one.

Mexicans reenacting the Battle of Puebla, where Mexican forces beat a larger and better equipped French force in 1863.

More Like

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

In celebration of Cinco de Mayo I think we should all have a moment of silence for the rightful Mexican king.

And a moment to celebrate him getting the just desserts every King deserves:

I've always sorta wondered if he actually wore that hat when they killed him.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Fandyien posted:

In celebration of Cinco de Mayo I think we should all have a moment of silence for the rightful Mexican king.

And a moment to celebrate him getting the just desserts every King deserves:

I've always sorta wondered if he actually wore that hat when they killed him.

Holy gently caress, that man has no chin. It's like his face just seamlessly transitions into his neck. Also, that is a glorious neckbeard. The Gooniest King.

Content: http://youtu.be/xRoSVY8IlkU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Mister Bates posted:

Holy gently caress, that man has no chin. It's like his face just seamlessly transitions into his neck. Also, that is a glorious neckbeard. The Gooniest King.

Content: http://youtu.be/xRoSVY8IlkU

Maximilian I was most definitely the gooniest king of the all. As I understand it, Napoleon III needed something to legitimize his conquest of Mexico and his war against Benito Juarez, so he decided to entice Mexican traditionalists and the European elite by acquiring a puppet king to set up as head of the Mexican proxy state. As it turned out, though, nobody in Europe wanted such a poo poo posting, and all of the actual important nobility refused his offer. So Napoleon need to finded someone with blue blood pretty desperately, and ended up scraping the bottom of the barrel to come up with Maximilian I, a useless Habsburg pretty low on the food chain from Austria.

I actually almost feel sorry for the guy. He was pretty pathetic, Napoleon III offered him a sweet gig, and it ended up getting him executed. Dude should've fled back to Europe when the getting was good.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Earliest known photo of the US House of Representatives chamber, 1861.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Mister Bates posted:

Also, that is a glorious neckbeard.

Maximilian pre-beard:

Maximilian post-beard:

In this case, I think he made the right decision.

Also, the execution:

That's him on the right (no hat). The other two are two of his generals. His last words were, "I forgive everyone, and I ask everyone to forgive me. May my blood which is about to be shed, be for the good of the country. Viva Mexico, viva la independencia!"

E: General Miguel Miramón, in the center:

General Tomás Mejía, on the left:

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 5, 2013

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
maxmilian chat

edit: how is Napoleon III viewed in france today?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Trench_Rat posted:

maxmilian chat

edit: how is Napoleon III viewed in france today?

Not very well, he's pretty much seen as a despotic rear end in a top hat, while his uncle Napoleon I is regarded as a great military leader and reformer.

I remember we had this caricature in our school books:

Napoleon the Great vs Napoleon the Little.

The fact that he sent Victor Hugo, one of the most revered authors of France, in exile on Jersey and Guernesey for criticizing him (Hugo was the one who came up with "Napoleon the Little") certainly doesn't help.

Cinco de Mayo and the Mexican War aren't something we study in school though, we concentrate on colonization and the Franco-Prussian War that led to his abdication.

His mustache is something though.

Edit: his face on coins:

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 5, 2013

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

rear end in a top hat in Cleveland gets out of his car gun blazing shooting at the cops that pulled him over. The dashboard footage can be seen on the Cleveland Plains Dealer article at the bottom.

Middlefield police still do not know what caused man to fire on 2 officers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

• Locked thread