Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Okonner posted:

Does anyone have experience with peavey bass amps like this one?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008YAI014/ref=mw_dp_mpd?pd=1&qid=1367246405&sr=8-3

From what I was looking at it looks like one of the cheapest amps I could get for gigging in a loud punk band. Is there something better at the same price level I missed?

That'll do the trick for a while, depending on what the rest of your band is using. Unless you need something right this very instant, I've had much better luck with cheap stuff on like used.guitarcenter.com and https://www.musicgoround.com and craigslist. Tons of used stuff out there, and I loves me some used stuff.

edit: also keep in mind that it's doing 300w into 4 ohms, and the speaker that's in the combo is likely 8.

scuz fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Okonner posted:

Does anyone have experience with peavey bass amps like this one?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008YAI014/ref=mw_dp_mpd?pd=1&qid=1367246405&sr=8-3

From what I was looking at it looks like one of the cheapest amps I could get for gigging in a loud punk band. Is there something better at the same price level I missed?

I had the precursor to that as my first bass amp... Peavey BXR 300. I can't speak to that exact model, but peavey makes solid equipment, and 300w out of a 115 should provide plenty of volume.

edit: ^^^ All other sources list it as 300w at 8ohms.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
Peaveys are badass. If you can find a place with lots of old/used gear, you can probably find an old Peavey Mark series head and a decent cabinet. Will be heavy as all-get-out but it will be cheap and very loud. I think they have built in overdrive to get a bit of edge on your tone too

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx
Thanks for the advice. We do need it in a hurry so I went ahead and got a new one. I believe our bassist will be pleased.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
So, i've just been introduced to the concept of the piccolo bass, and I'm amazed.

Am I silly for thinking one of those 30" scale SX j-ripoffs might make a fun piccolo setup?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I don't think the SR5 is an instrument universally praised for the quality of its B string, but you absolutely don't need 35" to get a good B. I've played tons of 34" five-strings with great B strings, and even 33" scale basses with good B's. I think a lot of it has to do with pickup placement, strings, construction "tightness," and the mass of the instrument.

Overall I feel like 35" has one advantage (more focused B string) and a ton of disadvantages (higher strings sound thin and strained, extra spacing and reach to first position can lead to hand issues.)

That said, you totally don't need a fiver. If you need the extra range just get a DTuner.

Have you ever played a Dingwall or another multi-scaled bass? I've been really curious to try one, since the fanned frets are supposed to even out the tension and sound across the strings.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Juaguocio posted:

Have you ever played a Dingwall or another multi-scaled bass? I've been really curious to try one, since the fanned frets are supposed to even out the tension and sound across the strings.
I'm curious - it does seem like a great solution. What are the downsides, besides price and awkward fingerings?

niff
Jul 4, 2010

Dominoes posted:

I'm curious - it does seem like a great solution. What are the downsides, besides price and awkward fingerings?

That, and you're required to wear a fedora on stage at all times if playing one. Fanned frets are extremely comfortable to play, though, unless you want to be all chordy on the higher frets.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Is there much of a non-aesethitic difference between the $1300 Dingwalls, the $4000 ones and the $12000 ones? I'm impulse considering buying one as my next bass instead of a 4-string.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 30, 2013

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Jonny 290 posted:

So, i've just been introduced to the concept of the piccolo bass, and I'm amazed.

Am I silly for thinking one of those 30" scale SX j-ripoffs might make a fun piccolo setup?

Sure, most electric piccolos are 30" or 28" scale. But you know a lot of string manufacturers make Piccolo sets for regular 34" scale basses... So don't feel like you HAVE to get a new bass to experiment with some piccolo playing (though you MIGHT need a new nut).

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

I considered doing this but never followed through. Not silly at all

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

post your bass face itt

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

https://vine.co/v/b2zXEBgXzrj

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

MancXVI posted:

post your bass face itt

cactuscarpet
Sep 12, 2011

I don't even know what rasta means.
"Pattituci does a dookie" would be a good album title.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I was about halfway through a "talk me out of buying an AVRI P" post, but then I thought: gently caress it. So this is my "AVRI P on the way" post.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Any opinions on the Ibanez Mikro basses here? They have a small but dedicated following on TB. I just sold my ATK for money to get a bike, and to replace it I just put in an order for a Mikro in Roadster Orange Metallic. Can't wait!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

TopherCStone posted:

Any opinions on the Ibanez Mikro basses here? They have a small but dedicated following on TB. I just sold my ATK for money to get a bike, and to replace it I just put in an order for a Mikro in Roadster Orange Metallic. Can't wait!

Haven't picked one up, but I'd assume they're basically just a short-scale version of the GSR200, which is a fine budget-priced bass. So I'm sure you'll be fine.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Scarf posted:

Haven't picked one up, but I'd assume they're basically just a short-scale version of the GSR200, which is a fine budget-priced bass. So I'm sure you'll be fine.

For sure. I've been very impressed with the low-end Ibanezes these days. They may be fairly plain, but they get the job done. If I get to upgrading it I'd love to stuff an EMG PJ set and a Hazlab preamp in there to have a mini Spector.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

TopherCStone posted:

For sure. I've been very impressed with the low-end Ibanezes these days. They may be fairly plain, but they get the job done. If I get to upgrading it I'd love to stuff an EMG PJ set and a Hazlab preamp in there to have a mini Spector.

I almost bought an Ibanez Jet King bass a few years ago just for the hell of it... I mean, I'm glad I didn't because I really have no use for one, but yeah, I was pretty drat impressed.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

MancXVI posted:

post your bass face itt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPJIiaPjDZY

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die
Finally hit craigslist gold: Ampeg SVT-II Pro for $380, and only one of the knobs is broken off! Woo!

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Is it safe to use WD-40 on open face style tuner gears?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Noise Machine posted:

Is it safe to use WD-40 on open face style tuner gears?
If you're trying to clean them, sure. If you're trying to lubricate them, no. WD-40 is primarily a solvent, since it contains mostly alcohol. If you want a lubricant, try TriFlow; it's a million times better.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

scuz posted:

If you're trying to clean them, sure. If you're trying to lubricate them, no. WD-40 is primarily a solvent, since it contains mostly alcohol. If you want a lubricant, try TriFlow; it's a million times better.

I am trying to lubricate. Would vaseline work for a cheap-o solution? Doesn't have to be pretty, just get the job done.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Trillest Parrot posted:

Finally hit craigslist gold: Ampeg SVT-II Pro for $380, and only one of the knobs is broken off! Woo!

That's one hell of a deal!

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Noise Machine posted:

I am trying to lubricate. Would vaseline work for a cheap-o solution? Doesn't have to be pretty, just get the job done.

Go to a hardware store and buy some graphite powder. You'll get more than you ever need for only a couple of dollars.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bill Posters posted:

Go to a hardware store and buy some graphite powder. You'll get more than you ever need for only a couple of dollars.

And go easy on that stuff! Too much and you'll just gunk everything up.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
Anyone got any tips on strengthening my ring finger and pinky on my right hand? I'm working on the technique where you pluck really fast 16th notes with all four fingers (going 4-3-2-1) and my pinky's natural inclination is to wiggle as far away from the string as possible after plucking. I've noticed it's easier to do on thinner strings, so I'm starting with the G and working my way down to B. I know I'm just gonna have to sit and work on this for a while, just wondering if anyone's got any tips for keeping those two fingers in line.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Anyone got any tips on strengthening my ring finger and pinky on my right hand? I'm working on the technique where you pluck really fast 16th notes with all four fingers (going 4-3-2-1) and my pinky's natural inclination is to wiggle as far away from the string as possible after plucking. I've noticed it's easier to do on thinner strings, so I'm starting with the G and working my way down to B. I know I'm just gonna have to sit and work on this for a while, just wondering if anyone's got any tips for keeping those two fingers in line.

I've been working on the 4 finger technique ala Garrison or DiPiazza (Thumb-Index-Middle-Ring) which might be a bit better. It is hard, but I am getting better and I really dig some of the percussive possibilities.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW0Hoxo32FA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PigAe4VIMI

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Studebaker Hawk posted:

I've been working on the 4 finger technique ala Garrison or DiPiazza (Thumb-Index-Middle-Ring) which might be a bit better. It is hard, but I am getting better and I really dig some of the percussive possibilities.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW0Hoxo32FA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PigAe4VIMI

Daaaaaaaaaamn. I didn't even know you could do this, this is nuts. I'll have to un-learn my anchored thumb habit, but this is kind of cool. I'm more working on the 3- and 4-finger stuff Alex Webster is talking about in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3tTp7tgAbI

But thanks, this is neat.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
No gifs but...

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
oh wait, here we go:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Thread over, Steve Swallow post.

edit: I might as well drop a philbomb

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 15, 2013