Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there any way to get the AI CSA to ever survive more than a few years? When the civil war started I switched to the USA and made white peace with the CSA. Then in the news I saw there was another war a few years later and I quick switched to USA and made peace. A few years later while I wasn't looking the CSA was gone again, even after I cheated them an alliance with mexico and the UK.

I guess due to the USA cores the us will always end up invading anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Yeah the US really needs to either lose cores on defeat, or at the beginning and only get them back with the reconstruction decision.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Zorak Nixed the LPing HoD until the three months timer is up. :sigh:

July 16th is the earliest.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

AtomikKrab posted:

Gorgo should probably add that to the OP.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

AtomikKrab posted:

Is there really anything stopping anyone from just doing the instructional LP and posting it on the Paradox forums instead?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Drone posted:

Is there really anything stopping anyone from just doing the instructional LP and posting it on the Paradox forums instead?

You're free to make LPs and post them over on Paradox, but you can't then post that LP onto SA. You can link to it but come July if it's still going it still has to stay on Paradox Plaza as I recall. Only real restriction I can think of.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Victoria II is quickly becoming my favorite Paradox game, but I'm having a hell of a time with getting to SP/GP status from Unciv. You guys make it sound so easy but I can never seem to get there. For example:

I'm playing as Afghanistan... again. For some reason I'm enamored with that part of the world and changing its history. I can usually Westernize within a reasonable amount of time and try to get some industry going, but inevitably $GREAT_POWER stuffs me in their sphere bosom and ruins my domestic goods market. It always happens about the same time and I run out of options, so any advice?

I also might be a little confused by factories using domestic raw materials. Cotton and coal are big industries in the mountains of Afghanistan, but my factories that use these products can never compete. Is there something I need to set in the Trade window to make sure my factories can use these products? I end up getting burnt on subsidies from factories that have easy access to raw materials.

In short: Help. Is there some sort of rags to riches guide?

Also this might be a question for Wiz: Is there a save game converter for the most recent expansion packs? As in, taking a Vic2 HoD game and porting to Hearts of Iron III? My modding ability is little to nil.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

TheHoosier posted:

Also this might be a question for Wiz: Is there a save game converter for the most recent expansion packs? As in, taking a Vic2 HoD game and porting to Hearts of Iron III? My modding ability is little to nil.

There are no official save game converters and I don't use the unofficial ones, I do all my converting by hand... so not the right person to ask.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

TheHoosier posted:

I also might be a little confused by factories using domestic raw materials. Cotton and coal are big industries in the mountains of Afghanistan, but my factories that use these products can never compete. Is there something I need to set in the Trade window to make sure my factories can use these products? I end up getting burnt on subsidies from factories that have easy access to raw materials.

If there's enough of their inputs being made locally, then there's two things that could be keeping them in the red - lack of demand for their products, and low efficiency.

If there's an over-abundance of what they're making, lack of sales will shut them down.

It they're not making enough stuff per-unit in, they'll end up working at a loss.

The third and fifth columns of commerce tech add up to noticeable boosts in input(less raws used) and output(more stuff made) efficiency to help you keep up.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

TheHoosier posted:

Victoria II is quickly becoming my favorite Paradox game, but I'm having a hell of a time with getting to SP/GP status from Unciv. You guys make it sound so easy but I can never seem to get there. For example:

I'm playing as Afghanistan... again. For some reason I'm enamored with that part of the world and changing its history. I can usually Westernize within a reasonable amount of time and try to get some industry going, but inevitably $GREAT_POWER stuffs me in their sphere bosom and ruins my domestic goods market. It always happens about the same time and I run out of options, so any advice?

In short: Help. Is there some sort of rags to riches guide?

First thing: if you're doing that part of the world, do not be ashamed at having to savescum to get ahead. You will not succeed on your first try.

Second thing: With Afghanistan, if you can civ early enough, there's plenty of pops and good resources in Persia to take if you beat them up. I'm assuming you're already grabbing a bunch of land from the Central Asian minors and possibly Punjab, but beating up Persia is a great alternative once you're tough enough.

If you want an easier country in that part of the world, pick Persia itself. You will Westernize way early due to its starting with three reforms, and you're already the big dog of the neighborhood.

Question: has anyone with the V2 beta patch tried Liberia? Never say Paradox doesn't listen to your complaints...Liberia now has a Westernization easymode like Japan, can ditch the USA sphere by event, and if you can make it to Secondary Power status before 1870, you have a real shot at colonizing the rest of Liberia.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

Right. Okay, I see.

Looking at it, it almost seems pretty petty and stupid. They were basically a bunch of rich guys who were throwing a fit because they couldn't get their way and the world was moving on around them. Sort of a weak premise to found an entire country on.

It's almost as if this is the reason for fighting in almost all wars that have ever been fought. And also the reason for founding almost all nations/kingdoms that have ever been founded.

Welcome to global politics.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

That seems kinda dumb, since the Paradox forums have constant LPs of these games, even before they're out!

Would it be cool if one of the Paradox guys gave their okay?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

KoldPT posted:

That seems kinda dumb, since the Paradox forums have constant LPs of these games, even before they're out!

Would it be cool if one of the Paradox guys gave their okay?

Other forums doing LPs has no bearing on LP forum rules. The reason for the three month rule is to prevent the zero effort rush to do a game as soon as it's out. I don't know why a Paradox dev giving their okay would change that.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Other forums doing LPs has no bearing on LP forum rules. The reason for the three month rule is to prevent the zero effort rush to do a game as soon as it's out. I don't know why a Paradox dev giving their okay would change that.

Well, the other point was that day 1 LPs can negatively impact sales of ex. plot-heavy games that people can watch like movies. That totally doesn't apply to Paradox games as every time will be different (to greater and lesser extents of course...HOI is basically an exception there).

quote:

Don't LP newer games. Three months after the game's initial release, it is fine to LP them.

This rule applies to all games, including independent titles, expansion packs to existing games that include significant new content, and re-releases with significant changes compared to their original. An expansion/DLC that just adds a few guns is fine; one that adds a whole new campaign is not. Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition wouldn't be considered to have a separate release from Resident Evil 4, but Resident Evil REmake would be considered a separate game from the original Resident Evil.

ROM hacks and fan translations don't really count for the three-month rule. Additionally, you can LP indie games and projects before the three-month rule passes if you ask the game's author/staff and they give you approval.

This rule exists to prevent spoiling, ire from developers, and stop people from rushing in here hot with new game excitement to be the first to LP Garfield: The Purrfect Crime. For any edge cases PLEASE ask us.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Wiz posted:

There are no official save game converters and I don't use the unofficial ones, I do all my converting by hand... so not the right person to ask.

I have absolutely no knowledge of what it would take to code and program a worthwhile converter but it would be amazing to take my CKII Azerbaijan (Thanks, Wiz!) game where I made Azerbaijan into the premier Sunni nation and play it all the way up through Hearts of Iron III.

I realize that's asking a lot but a man can dream. :jihad:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

A_Raving_Loon posted:

If there's enough of their inputs being made locally, then there's two things that could be keeping them in the red - lack of demand for their products, and low efficiency.

If there's an over-abundance of what they're making, lack of sales will shut them down.

It they're not making enough stuff per-unit in, they'll end up working at a loss.

The third and fifth columns of commerce tech add up to noticeable boosts in input(less raws used) and output(more stuff made) efficiency to help you keep up.

Excellent. I think I need to turn the speed down a little and try to read the drat information in front of me. It's amazing that I have no problem doing this in Hearts of Iron but not in V2. Once I get industrialized in my now 4th attempt at Afghani glory I'll take a second to view the throughput stats for my factories and the demand for the resulting products. Leaving the poo poo on autopilot doesn't do me any favors.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

3 North American Great Powers. Mexico, The CSA, and.. A Canada with a population under 1 Million that managed to confederate Columbia, Manitoba, Newfoundland and Quebec.

Was there some change to the Alaska decision? Russia offered to sell it to me, though I can see why, or is that a NNM change?

I swear V2 just tries to be weird as hell when I play it.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

TheHoosier posted:

I have absolutely no knowledge of what it would take to code and program a worthwhile converter but it would be amazing to take my CKII Azerbaijan (Thanks, Wiz!) game where I made Azerbaijan into the premier Sunni nation and play it all the way up through Hearts of Iron III.

I realize that's asking a lot but a man can dream. :jihad:

A professional (which is to say, Paradox created) conversion tool is one of those wishes that are always being hoped for by the community. I know I'd personally spend an easy 20 dollars on one if it ever surfaced. Realistically, though, our best hope rests with Johan - in a previous interview he said creating a converter is one of those things he'd like to do someday... So maybe when CK2 is done with its expansions they'll do one last cash in on a CK2 ->EU4 converter.

A goon can hope, anyways :(

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Westminster System posted:

3 North American Great Powers. Mexico, The CSA, and.. A Canada with a population under 1 Million that managed to confederate Columbia, Manitoba, Newfoundland and Quebec.

Man, it must be weird for the citizens to talk about the FSA. Someone would always have to go: "Wait wait, which FSA are you talking about? The Free States or the Federated States."

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

DrSunshine posted:

Man, it must be weird for the citizens to talk about the FSA. Someone would always have to go: "Wait wait, which FSA are you talking about? The Free States or the Federated States."

The Federated States would be FSM though.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

A professional (which is to say, Paradox created) conversion tool is one of those wishes that are always being hoped for by the community. I know I'd personally spend an easy 20 dollars on one if it ever surfaced. Realistically, though, our best hope rests with Johan - in a previous interview he said creating a converter is one of those things he'd like to do someday... So maybe when CK2 is done with its expansions they'll do one last cash in on a CK2 ->EU4 converter.

I remember hearing that EU4 would come with a built-in converter for CK2 saves. Anybody know if there's any substance to that or is this just another case study in the power of wishful thinking?

How'd you pull off annexing so much of the (former) US? Just holding them back whenever it declared war on you and attacking both the US and CSA during the civil war?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I think a graphical or semi-graphical scenario editor for EU4 would be a much more reasonable project than a CK2 converter:

- No automatic converter could possibly cover all the crazy political entities and dynastic migrations CK2 produces, so the user would definitely need to be able to set country names / flags / etc. on his own anyway

- A scenario editor would have a much broader appeal than the 2% of users who finish a Paradox game, own the next game, and are still interested in continuing the campaign (ie haven't conquered the world)

- It would also double up as a powerful in-house development tool, providing some extra ROI that way

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

I remember hearing that EU4 would come with a built-in converter for CK2 saves. Anybody know if there's any substance to that or is this just another case study in the power of wishful thinking?

It's been mentioned as a possible DLC, I think that's it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wiz posted:

I would love to know what goes into a hand-conversion -- is just a matter of tweaking values in a save file, line-by-line, or did you write a program to do it, or what? From a layperson's perspective, it seems like translating province ownership, for example, would be simple enough, but then I'm trying to think of how one would go about modifying/creating every single POP in the world for Vicky 2...

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

How'd you pull off annexing so much of the (former) US? Just holding them back whenever it declared war on you and attacking both the US and CSA during the civil war?

Oregon and Idaho ended up in Columbia so that was an easy picking later on. The war with Texas was really annoyingly long but lead to the cessation of Kansas eventually, as the US intervened after I had mostly dealt with Texas, but I didn't want to push my luck. From there it was a case of waiting for the US to declare war and letting them waste troops then demanding what infamy would allow. Reforming the USCA as a puppet provides a fair bit of fodder if the AI bothers to move it.

Wyoming ended up in the CSA randomly (its either Wyoming, Montana, or both, from experience so far), so after I intervened for the CSA I dissolved our alliance, took Wyoming and Oklahoma, and resphered the CSA (before it decided it would become a GP). Free states ended up with Colorado, so that was that.

VERY lucky. If any decisive military engagement had happened with the USA before the civil war I probably would of lost and rage quit. The Civil war was another matter, by then I couldnt hold back - but luckily I had military parity and two stacks of troops I was willing to use, with a decent composition, that resolved the civil war within 3 months of my intervention. I also got two infamy reducing events which removed the possibility of a containment war.

No idea how ridiculous this is going to become, though.

Westminster System fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 5, 2013

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

Top Hats Monthly posted:

This image is the best to show what Europeans thought, cicra 1821

Hey, at least they spelled Corea right. :pseudo:

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I would love to know what goes into a hand-conversion -- is just a matter of tweaking values in a save file, line-by-line, or did you write a program to do it, or what? From a layperson's perspective, it seems like translating province ownership, for example, would be simple enough, but then I'm trying to think of how one would go about modifying/creating every single POP in the world for Vicky 2...

It might be possible to do a bare bones conversion just editing save files if you didn't care about carrying the same countries over. If you wanted to do a 100% fleshed out conversion and not have it devolve into random insanity as soon as it starts that'd involve editing pretty much file there is and making a lot of new ones for new countries then tying it all together in a new scenario. Then you'd have to convert the flags, create new files for leader names, making a whole new OOB, new AI files depending on what game you're converting, disabling events/missions that wouldn't make sense anymore etc. After that it'd take just as long getting all the kinks out and trying to figure out where you messed up because the scenario won't load.

Never got into Vicky 2 so not sure about modding POPs but it'd probably be the most tedious part of converting any paradox game to any other if you wanted to be accurate and especially since the most divergence is probably going to happen in EU. Doing all the population and nationality changes for every single province by hand would probably be a nightmare.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Yeah POPs basically make converting to V2 impossible. You can kinda around some stuff by replacing one minority with another if a nation conquers a region it never did historically (i.e. replace the British minority in Gibraltar with a French one of France owns it, replace the Russian minority in Warsaw with Poles if Poland still owns it, etc), but getting into the judgement calls of what to do when you have a province that was owned, cored, and had the culture flip. So like if you end up with German provinces in Greece because of your HRE game, do you make the province 100% German? 75? 25? And then what profession does everyone have, are the Germans in Thrace farmers? What do you do with the Turkish aristocrats, do they just remain there, or would it seem silly for Thrace to have Turkish aristocrats in your game where the Byzantines retook Thrace in 1600, but then lost it again in 1800?

It quickly becomes a massive headache, even if you only look at Europe :(.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 5, 2013

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

DrProsek posted:

Yeah POPs basically make converting to V2 impossible. You can kinda around some stuff by replacing one minority with another if a nation conquers a region it never did historically (i.e. replace the British minority in Gibraltar with a French one of France owns it, replace the Russian minority in Warsaw with Poles if Poland still owns it, etc), but getting into the judgement calls of what to do when you have a province that was owned, cored, and had the culture flip. So like if you end up with German provinces in Greece because of your HRE game, do you make the province 100% German? 75? 25? And then what profession does everyone have, are the Germans in Thrace farmers? What do you do with the Turkish aristocrats, do they just remain there, or would it seem silly for Thrace to have Turkish aristocrats in your game where the Byzantines retook Thrace in 1600, but then lost it again in 1800?

It quickly becomes a massive headache, even if you only look at Europe :(.

I don't know, determining POPs sounds like fun world building but would be a pain to do the entire world.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
Is there any consensus on Victoria II after House Divided and Heart of Darkness?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Mexcillent posted:

Is there any consensus on Victoria II after House Divided and Heart of Darkness?

So far the consensus seems to be that, while there are a few mildly-irritating glitches (that have mostly been fixed in the beta patch), overall Victoria II with expansions is a great game, much better than vanilla V2.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Mexcillent posted:

Yeah Mister Bates has the right of it. I enjoyed V2 vanilla, AHD was a great improvement, but HoD is pretty much essential.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

In my opinion HOD makes V2 a much better game, but I still wouldn't call it a GREAT game.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

In my opinion HOD makes V2 a much better game, but I still wouldn't call it a GREAT game.

I would give Vicky 2 a eight out of ten with HoD, nine if you mod it up to your liking. They add in a couple more anti-tedium interface tweaks like better army management, and give it another expansion, it'll be gold material for sure.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Thanks to all the tips you guys gave me, my Mexico game is going swimmingly! I have a slight problem though...

This is the war score:

So it looks like I'm losing quite a bit...

And here is the map:

...I have never lost a single battle. I added "Liberate New England" as a war goal, and since I have not completed it, I am losing tricking war score (fair enough) but the USA earlier took Texas so they still have some positive trickling war score from that (scratch that; it's just my negative trickling war score giving the USA such a high war score). Problem is, the USA cannot win, I am just occupying their poo poo now. They can make a total of 5 units, of which they currently have 0, I meanwhile have 21 brigades, and parts of their country occupied. Yet the warscore calculations still has the USA winning so bad I get militancy and war exhaustion every time I reject their demands for my surrender. Sorry I haven't blitzed New England, I just figured grinding your armies into dust would have kinda sent you the hint you won't win this war :frog:.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 6, 2013

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Debug yesmen

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Blitz over to the east coast and occupy all areas that can produce troops. Then occupy the rest of the country at your leisure. Watch as industry collapses, rebels spring up and the USA becomes a shell of itself for the next twenty years, at which point the Civil War will hit, and the country will split in two. Also redeclare war every five years just to make sure they don't get back on their feet.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

To be fair, you aren't really winning the war either. You're occupying sparsely populated frontier land and winning some battles, but you're not pushing into territory that actually matters. You claim you can liberate New England but completely fail to actually do so. Do you think the US should just get on their hands and knees, offering to set New England free just because you can occupy some worthless provinces? They rightfully aren't going to budge until you actually do something that matters and your people are getting restless because you won't.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Blitz over to the east coast and occupy all areas that can produce troops. Then occupy the rest of the country at your leisure. Watch as industry collapses, rebels spring up and the USA becomes a shell of itself for the next twenty years, at which point the Civil War will hit, and the country will split in two. Also redeclare war every five years just to make sure they don't get back on their feet.

Yeah probably should have done the former but I ended up doing the latter. The USA is now a secondary power, although for how long I have no idea. At least is has given me time to try to refound the UCSA, maybe with them on my side the next war will be easier :v:.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

To be fair, you aren't really winning the war either. You're occupying sparsely populated frontier land and winning some battles, but you're not pushing into territory that actually matters. You claim you can liberate New England but completely fail to actually do so. Do you think the US should just get on their hands and knees, offering to set New England free just because you can occupy some worthless provinces? They rightfully aren't going to budge until you actually do something that matters and your people are getting restless because you won't.

I totally get why they aren't willing to surrender to me, that makes sense and they are still sending soldiers out every so often so I get why the AI doesn't want to surrender, but my problem is the AI is sending me demands for peace that I gained militancy and war exhaustion for refusing. I get the USA wasn't quite doing so badly to surrender at that point, but on the flip side I wasn't doing so badly that I should have begged the USA to leave me alone either. I was kinda hoping our mutual failure to achieve our goals would leave us at 0 war score, not the USA up at 15% despite losing every single battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

DrProsek posted:

Yeah probably should have done the former but I ended up doing the latter. The USA is now a secondary power, although for how long I have no idea. At least is has given me time to try to refound the UCSA, maybe with them on my side the next war will be easier :v:.

Wouldn't it be safer to just puppetize/sphere all the little Central American nations separately, rather than merge them into a big bloc that can potentially gain enough power to be a threat to you? If they ever have a revolution or otherwise try to leave your sphere, it'll be a lot easier to re-subdue them if you don't have to fight all of them at once.

• Locked thread