Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

SSNeoman posted:

"IT'S PURPLE!" Dear god. Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Was poo poo like this a huge problem on SA at the time?

Clearly you've never seen TaxidermistPasta before. *ahem*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

SSNeoman posted:

"IT'S PURPLE!" Dear god. Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Was poo poo like this a huge problem on SA at the time?
Yea, the impression I got was that Taxi was attempting to troll his viewers (with such hits as Dongs.exe or Super Columbine Massacre RPG) and being an archetype of shittiness to get across a joke. I suppose it is a bit lost of new people if they take it as a serious effort, but his effort was merely to annoy people.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I meant that Taxi seemed to be parodying various videos, such as that Metroid Redesign video. He seemed to be pointing out a lot of threads in particular.
So my question is "were videos where people played incompetently, constantly loaded save states, having abrupt cuts and so on a big problem on SA back then?"

C'mon guys, I have a sense of humor :shobon:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

SSNeoman posted:

I meant that Taxi seemed to be parodying various videos, such as that Metroid Redesign video. He seemed to be pointing out a lot of threads in particular.
So my question is "were videos where people played incompetently, constantly loaded save states, having abrupt cuts and so on a big problem on SA back then?"

Of course they were, we know most of the bad poo poo that youtube does is bad because we did it first and it sucked poo poo.

Scarecams I think are a notable exception, I don't think even the shittiest of posters here ever contemplated such a thing (since despite being awful it actually requires some effort).

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah, it was pretty common stuff, I can remember pretty much everything he mocks in the video being a major issue for a while before and after the subforum started that eventually cleared up because it turned out people wanted to see effort more than they wanted to see some dude save scum through a Mario ROM hack.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Feinne posted:

Scarecams I think are a notable exception, I don't think even the shittiest of posters here ever contemplated such a thing (since despite being awful it actually requires some effort).

Someone please make an app that detects facecam and blacks out that section of the video and/or your screen. Nothing's worse than having someone actually half-decent on youtube succumb to the facecam and start ruining their videos with it.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I was thinking of introducing a face came to my Tales of Destiny SSLP. I figure I could take pictures of me and slot it in next to my commentary. Maybe put on a wacky hat or two.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
So I started following a bunch of LPers here on youtube recently and I noticed a lot of them tend to do one-off lets play videos on their channels that don't make their way to this subforum. Would it be possible for a "one off" video LP thread to be made? I know I'm probably missing out on some great videos.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Volume posted:

I was thinking of introducing a face came to my Tales of Destiny SSLP. I figure I could take pictures of me and slot it in next to my commentary. Maybe put on a wacky hat or two.

Really you just need two photos of yourself yelling as loudly as possible, and then just alternate between the two. Job done.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
If I ever get a webcam, I'll LP a truly terrible game, put my face in the corner and commentate just through looks of disgust.

Innovacious
Jun 27, 2012

Drink Lucozade to keep your energy maintained!

Law posted:

So I started following a bunch of LPers here on youtube recently and I noticed a lot of them tend to do one-off lets play videos on their channels that don't make their way to this subforum. Would it be possible for a "one off" video LP thread to be made? I know I'm probably missing out on some great videos.

Threads like this appear every now and then

Some people also do single videos for other peoples threads or a short series of videos for megathreads such as the race and hard games threads going on right now. There are plenty of ways they could have the videos here on SA. If they don't then its probably because they don't want to or it breaks a rule.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

E: beaten

Law posted:

Would it be possible for a "one off" video LP thread to be made? I know I'm probably missing out on some great videos.
Sure. Examples would be the current Let's try thread, or the short game theater threads, by Frankomatic IIRC. I've been toying with the idea for a similar mega-thread for quite a while now, but nothing is decided so far.

Volume posted:

I figure I could take pictures of me and slot it in next to my commentary. Maybe put on a wacky hat or two.
Please make them close-ups with a wide angle lense.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Law posted:

Are you saying you've followed LPers on YouTube and notice they don't post/have threads here, or that you found them through SA but they've seemingly only made one LP? If it's former then YouTube LPers aren't necessarily making their LPs for the Let's Play forum here on SA, they've become divided in that regard. The term was born here but it has become sort of ubiquitous.

You could take a look at the LP Archive. Any LP that has been completed in this sub and submitted to the LP Archive will be found on there with all of the relevant thread posts from when the thread intact.

Edit: Perhaps I'm not interpreting the question correctly. So is it single videos or "full" LPs that you're referring to?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
All this scarecam talk is reminding me of Dynamic Blisters

Migeman
Aug 1, 2011
Let's Play God of War Ghost of Sparta NSFW

What's this?
This is the second prequel and takes part between 1 and 2. This leads up to Kratos's downfall in GoW2.

Information stuff
This was originally released November 5th 2010 on PSP then it was rereleased on September 16th 2011 on the PS3 along with the other PSP game Chains of Olympus. It was quite a highly rated PSP game, it was given an 86 by Metacritic.

Why aren't you playing Chains of Olympus?
It's a good game but it just isn't as fun as all the other games.

What's the plot?
After ascending to the God of War Kratos is plagued by nightmares and visions about his past. He goes to chase up these visions even when Athena advises him to stay put and ignore them. So then he goes to where again he leaves a trail of destruction.

When will you upload videos?
Due to sometimes being busy in work I should manage at least one video per week, I couldn't give you a day at the moment.

Do I need to know anymore background information about GoW?
It's not necessary but limp-cheese has LP'd 1, 2 and 3 and they are available on the archive here; http://lparchive.org/title/god%20of%20war

Part 1: Atlantis

This is a different video to the one I posted before, I listened to the original one a couple more times and it just wasn't very good, this ones an improvement.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
The audio mix could be better. It's fine for when you're talking but when the cutscenes start it's hard to hear it if your speakers are adjusted for your voice, which will likely be the prominent part of the video. I'd suggest looking into Autoducking. It's extremely easy to do.

http://lparchive.org/meatsupport/AutoDuckingInAudacity/

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sundowner posted:

Are you saying you've followed LPers on YouTube and notice they don't post/have threads here, or that you found them through SA but they've seemingly only made one LP? If it's former then YouTube LPers aren't necessarily making their LPs for the Let's Play forum here on SA, they've become divided in that regard. The term was born here but it has become sort of ubiquitous.

You could take a look at the LP Archive. Any LP that has been completed in this sub and submitted to the LP Archive will be found on there with all of the relevant thread posts from when the thread intact.

Edit: Perhaps I'm not interpreting the question correctly. So is it single videos or "full" LPs that you're referring to?

No, he's saying that he subscribes to a few Something Awful LPers on Youtube and sometimes they post single videos that aren't part of any thread.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Waffleman_ posted:

No, he's saying that he subscribes to a few Something Awful LPers on Youtube and sometimes they post single videos that aren't part of any thread.

Ahh, I see now. Yeah I guess a general/non-specific videos thread could help organize something like that but I see threads that aren't for a specific game tend to have their own focus or a goal for those who may be posting. Hard games, Let's Try, Races and what have you. Then again I haven't been around the forums enough to know if a thread like that could work/has worked.

Migeman
Aug 1, 2011

Sundowner posted:

The audio mix could be better. It's fine for when you're talking but when the cutscenes start it's hard to hear it if your speakers are adjusted for your voice, which will likely be the prominent part of the video. I'd suggest looking into Autoducking. It's extremely easy to do.

http://lparchive.org/meatsupport/AutoDuckingInAudacity/

Thanks for this advice, I'm currently going through and doing the autoducking now, would you say apart from that audio problem the video is good to go?

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Migeman posted:

Thanks for this advice, I'm currently going through and doing the autoducking now, would you say apart from that audio problem the video is good to go?

I don't know enough about GoW or beat 'em ups to really tell you if the content itself is good but video/audio wise (when you add ducking) it seems fine and your commentary sounds informative so if I were to watch it to learn about the game(s) then sure, looks good! Might want to wait for someone else to chime in with regards to the actual content, though.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Law posted:

They're probably making it to this subforum in threads you aren't reading - I know I've done a few that I didn't create threads for, as extras for someone else's thread or as mod challenge entries, and I don't tend to link back to the SA threads because I figure anyone who's watching my videos and has an SA account is likely to have seen the thread before the video. In any case, I doubt that most people would take the effort to make a post in a devoted thread if they're also posting the video in another thread, and they might not appreciate a new link being made to the video outside of the intended context. (Although you could certainly ask before doing so.) There have been threads for short games, and a few specialized ones are still active, but interest tends to ebb pretty quickly once everyone who has an idea has completed their mini-LP. If you want to make such a thread and think you can keep it active, I don't see anything stopping you from doing so.

Radio Rovo
Mar 17, 2013
Let's Play 26 Years of Mega Man!

A Little Taste of History
Mega Man (or Rock Man in Japan) is one of the greatest franchises ever. Period. Produced By Capcom and original idea by Keiji Inafune. The first game was released in December 17, 1987, and was localized for North America in December 1987 and for Europe in May 1990.

How the LP will work
First off, for the most part, I (Tony), wont really explain the games unless they're the more obscure and weird Mega Man games. You have all seen these other games for the most part, and if you have not, my friend and I are definitely not the best to start out with. Also if it did not seem like we were shamelessly ripping off the Runbutton guys (Kyle and Keith) a little bit, Zakk and I also have that scatterbrain and all around ADHD feel that you eventually come to love in their videos.

Final Comments for the Sandcastle
This is not a perfect video, I do not expect this to go through with absolute praise. I know that we go off topic often and hopefully we do not begin catchphrase anything. However I'm not just saying this to cover my backside, I really do want criticism, so that I become a better LPer through all of this. But without any more of the textual ramble, here's to the visual one!

Part 1:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtCzIoPSExo
That Video That Took Us 4 Hours to Make: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTElwaPg7z4

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
Three months down the line, I'm planning to do a Let's Play of Monaco: What's Yours is Mine because I find the game to not only be fun, but very full of depth due to its simplistic nature in terms of its controls. However, some issues have popped up:

1. Should I do a split screen format to show everyone's cameras, or should I just record my own?

2. I would like to meet some goons who would be interested in doing this a few months down the line.

3. Should I only show the successful attempts, or a mixture of both successful and failed?

Slur fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 6, 2013

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Radio Rovo posted:

Let's Play 26 Years of Mega Man!

A Little Taste of History
Mega Man (or Rock Man in Japan) is one of the greatest franchises ever. Period. Produced By Capcom and original idea by Keiji Inafune. The first game was released in December 17, 1987, and was localized for North America in December 1987 and for Europe in May 1990.

How the LP will work
First off, for the most part, I (Tony), wont really explain the games unless they're the more obscure and weird Mega Man games. You have all seen these other games for the most part, and if you have not, my friend and I are definitely not the best to start out with. Also if it did not seem like we were shamelessly ripping off the Runbutton guys (Kyle and Keith) a little bit, Zakk and I also have that scatterbrain and all around ADHD feel that you eventually come to love in their videos.

Final Comments for the Sandcastle
This is not a perfect video, I do not expect this to go through with absolute praise. I know that we go off topic often and hopefully we do not begin catchphrase anything. However I'm not just saying this to cover my backside, I really do want criticism, so that I become a better LPer through all of this. But without any more of the textual ramble, here's to the visual one!

So you're playing all of the games, or just the obscure weird ones that no one played?

Also, "loladhd so random" might be a side effect but it should decidedly not be something you shoot for. It's usually obnoxious and not conductive to making actual content.

Radio Rovo
Mar 17, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

So you're playing all of the games, or just the obscure weird ones that no one played?

Also, "loladhd so random" might be a side effect but it should decidedly not be something you shoot for. It's usually obnoxious and not conductive to making actual content.

No, we are going to try and play most of the games, and we really are not shooting for the random factor. I was just saying that in the beginning it might be a little like that. I completely agree that the random factor is a pretty off putting. We just happen to ramble off sometimes.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Is there a way to contest youtube account suspensions? I just got an email with three penalties from 2007 and a standard "multiple notifications from content owners" script.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Radio Rovo posted:

Also if it did not seem like we were shamelessly ripping off the Runbutton guys (Kyle and Keith) a little bit, Zakk and I also have that scatterbrain and all around ADHD feel that you eventually come to love in their videos.
Opinions on the RunButton guys are actually kind of mixed. I'm not meaning any disrespect to those guys because I do enjoy watching videos they put out but they are not, by any stretch, commonly accepted as a shining beacon of quality in the SA LP subforum like you seem to believe!

e:
And so attempting to emulate their style is not necessarily a worthwhile goal.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Some Strange Flea posted:

Opinions on the RunButton guys are actually kind of mixed. I'm not meaning any disrespect to those guys because I do enjoy watching videos they put out but they are not, by any stretch, commonly accepted as a shining beacon of quality in the SA LP subforum like you seem to believe!

In a similar vein I think it's not in good form to introduce yourselves as ripoffs of some other guys, no matter how tongue-in-cheek it is. Also, aren't there like 40 billion Mega Man games if you include the off-shoots like Mega Man Soccer or the highly screenshottable Mega Man Zero series? What's the scope, there? Play 'em till you get bored? Only play ones that broke X amount sales (joke)?

I ask because playing every Mega Man title would be a Herculean effort and probably not lend itself to much time left for quality, which is a shame because some of the lesser known ones deserve a decent LP, which is why I stopped mine.

judge reinhold fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 6, 2013

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Radio Rovo posted:

How the LP will work

I'm not really getting the ADHD feel with one of you being half-asleep and nearly unhearable. What I did hear was a joke about killing the jews and I really just decided to stop there because the height of comedy was achieved.

Radio Rovo
Mar 17, 2013

Some Strange Flea posted:

Oh trust me I know they're not. I was just pointing out something I noticed while editing the video. I just thought I should point out that we were similar in ways before anyone else did. By the way, I may have only recently made an account, but I've been lurking the forums since like late 2008 when I started watching Retsupurae, so I understand what the forum expects for the most part.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Radio Rovo posted:

Oh trust me I know they're not. I was just pointing out something I noticed while editing the video. I just thought I should point out that we were similar in ways before anyone else did. By the way, I may have only recently made an account, but I've been lurking the forums since like late 2008 when I started watching Retsupurae, so I understand what the forum expects for the most part.

Keith and Kyle did not invent the idea of two guys talking over video games. Why invite the comparison at all? Also, who gives a flip about your reg date, some of the worst posters are from the earlier part of the century.

Radio Rovo
Mar 17, 2013

FutureFriend posted:

What I did hear was a joke about killing the jews and I really just decided to stop there because the height of comedy was achieved.

Yeah I should probably explain that one...Zakk makes fun of the fact that I'm half Jewish (from descent)and also we were talking about the kid at our school that was nicknamed Hitler, and he absolutely enjoyed the nickname for whatever sick reason.

Also the reason I mentioned the reg date was that I was just pointing out that I knew a little about how the forums worked, and what was and wasn't well received.

Also I explained the whole Hitler thing in the video...after Zakk made that distasteful joke.

Radio Rovo fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 6, 2013

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Don't make jokes that you have to explain.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Xander77 posted:

Is there a way to contest youtube account suspensions? I just got an email with three penalties from 2007 and a standard "multiple notifications from content owners" script.

Not unless you legitimately hold the right to that content, no.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Testing an effect that I'll be using in my next LP episode.

http://youtu.be/Qw8FM2DBFk8

Any complaints? Anything about it seems unclear or could be done better?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Slur posted:

Three months down the line, I'm planning to do a Let's Play of Monaco: What's Yours is Mine because I find the game to not only be fun, but very full of depth due to its simplistic nature in terms of its controls. However, some issues have popped up:

1. Should I do a split screen format to show everyone's cameras, or should I just record my own?

2. I would like to meet some goons who would be interested in doing this a few months down the line.

3. Should I only show the successful attempts, or a mixture of both successful and failed?

1. That may depend on the format. If you intend to do live commentary, just your own camera. Being only able to see what your character sees is an interesting design, and will get your audience more involved as they only know what past-you knows. Post-commentary dissections of a mission ("Hmm, we could've done this better if X had done Y"), on the other hand, would need all viewpoints.

3. This again depends on how many / how bad the failures were. You're not going to want to cut them out entirely, as some of the fun will come from seeing the trial and error, but non-unique, non-amusing failures should be axed. Another option is having a Success Run video and then a Failure Runs video, if you're particularly attached to seeing all or nothing of the failures.

Something else to keep in mind is editing out repeated success. I don't know how the game works, but if you must restart an entire mission when you fail, you'll probably want to edit out the run back up to where you failed, since we already saw that the first time. If the game has checkpoints you likely won't have to bother as much.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Zorak posted:

Not unless you legitimately hold the right to that content, no.
Ugh. Guess I should get a new email and a new account if I'm to upload more LP stuff.

JGKing
Dec 26, 2012

What has happened to this company?!
A very quick but important question, since I'd rather check this before I get slapped with a ban. Are Football Manager LPs banned? I'm really eager to start one of my own, but there is a conspicuous absence of them around these parts (especially since it is such a popular game). If they're not banned I'd love to get my own up and running, unless they're more appropriate to post in the Sports forum.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Nope, only Pokemon LPs are really banned around here, so I'd say to go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JGKing
Dec 26, 2012

What has happened to this company?!
Thank you good sir.

• Locked thread