Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster
Okay, to touch on something from my previous post:

Nick_326 posted:

Quoting this super old post because I'm actually working on a list that is basically that, which leads me to my two questions:

#1: Does anyone know who innovated the Brainbuster? The oldest user I can find is a guy named Killer Karl Kox:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_Karl_Kox
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ph_1JJIMzs#t=10s

-Kobashi is credited as the innovator of a move called the Diamond Head, which Wikipedia describes as a "Powerbomb lifted and dropped into a sidewalk slam" and that it was "used on rare occasions".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenta_Kobashi#In_wrestling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYC_PmgBNsc

However, the comments on that video seem to indicate that the move was botched. Did he ever do this move more than once?

-I remember reading some comments saying Misawa innovated what were described as a "seated crossface" and a "step-over facelock". I have no idea if those are just different ways of saying the same move. Any truth to this?

Here's a clip of Misawa doing a facelock, which I'm assuming is what was described:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw4yk87rYVo#t=1m39s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

MassRanTer posted:

Kobashi's health declined and Misawa died. Kobashi was the most popular wrestler and Misawa brought in a lot of paid spot shows, and with both of them gone the promotion didn't have anyone else the public cared about. NJPW on the other hand saw Tanahashi become a legitimate big star and Okada come out of nowhere to be an heir apparent. AJPW is kind of a joke right now though.

I can't speak for DDT Pro or any of the Joshi promotions, so it's good to hear DDT's still on the upswing.

What about KENTA and Naomichi Marufuji and Morishima? :( The public never went too gaga for them?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Flameingblack posted:

New Japan and DDT Pro are getting pretty good numbers right now, considering the state of Puro, they've both been on a big uprise in popularity. STARDOMS, a Joshi promotion is also seemingly doing pretty well.

Yeah, the New Japan show last weekend was a full house on the day - reported about 7,000, and I'd believe it. But when they started Wrestling Dontaku 20 years ago, it was a dome show at the Fukuoka Dome and probably drew three or four times the crowd.

It's just not mainstream at all anymore.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
I know the broad brush strokes of Pillman's loose cannon schtick, but I'm fuzzy about what he did exactly in WCW to get across the persona. I know about the "booker man" thing & the sneaking up on Heenan before that, but my impression is that he'd already got himself a rep for being "legitimately" unpredictable before these things occurred. What did he do exactly?

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

If I remember right, Kanemara overrotated. You can see Kobashi trying to keep him in position before he spikes him, but he rotated too much. It was allegedly supposed to be a spinning sitout side powerbomb.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Theshby posted:

I know the broad brush strokes of Pillman's loose cannon schtick, but I'm fuzzy about what he did exactly in WCW to get across the persona. I know about the "booker man" thing & the sneaking up on Heenan before that, but my impression is that he'd already got himself a rep for being "legitimately" unpredictable before these things occurred. What did he do exactly?

As far as I know he pretty much worked everyone in the locker room with outlandish behavior. Someone accused him of being on coke so he put powered sugar from a donut under his nose and hit someone up for cash. Foley tells a story about being in ECW, watching someone get hit with a singapore cane shot and running around the locker room screaming "CALL 911! CALL 911! OH JESUS HE'S HURT!" Everyone was acutely uncomfortable and Pillman dropped Mick a wink to show he was working them.

Then he played Bischoff like a fiddle with the "firing" angle: To push his loose canon persona, Bischoff "fired" him. Pillman pushed for an actual release to be drawn up, claming the boys in the back and the dirtsheets would get a hold of it to make it even more "real." Bischoff agreed and had the office draw up a very real and legally binding release from his contract. Pillman used it to sign a very lucrative contract with the WWF days later.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Critical posted:

Then he played Bischoff like a fiddle with the "firing" angle: To push his loose canon persona, Bischoff "fired" him. Pillman pushed for an actual release to be drawn up, claming the boys in the back and the dirtsheets would get a hold of it to make it even more "real." Bischoff agreed and had the office draw up a very real and legally binding release from his contract. Pillman used it to sign a very lucrative contract with the WWF days later.

That's not precisely right. Pillman actually stayed "independent" for awhile (while making tens of thousands of dollars by running his own hotline), and his actual plan was to leverage an offer from WWF into a huge guaranteed money contract with WCW, and then with his new main eventer deal. Then he got in the car accident and the WWF offer was the only one he had.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jeffersonlives posted:

That's not precisely right. Pillman actually stayed "independent" for awhile (while making tens of thousands of dollars by running his own hotline), and his actual plan was to leverage an offer from WWF into a huge guaranteed money contract with WCW, and then with his new main eventer deal. Then he got in the car accident and the WWF offer was the only one he had.

He had a WCW offer too which was for a higher dollar value but it was not guaranteed.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

MassRanTer posted:

He had a WCW offer too which was for a higher dollar value but it was not guaranteed.

Was it still there after the accident? I had always thought that WWF was his only realistic option post-accident.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jeffersonlives posted:

Was it still there after the accident? I had always thought that WWF was his only realistic option post-accident.

The accident is why it was non guaranteed. It had some 90 day thing-a-ma-jigger in it where if he was unable to wrestle the contract would be void. Something like that, I can't remember the exact language. The offer was there, he just couldn't take it because he'd be out all of that money once the 90 days were up.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Critical posted:

As far as I know he pretty much worked everyone in the locker room with outlandish behavior. Someone accused him of being on coke so he put powered sugar from a donut under his nose and hit someone up for cash.

This was actually something Jericho did at an indy promotion near the start of his career.

quote:

Foley tells a story about being in ECW, watching someone get hit with a singapore cane shot and running around the locker room screaming "CALL 911! CALL 911! OH JESUS HE'S HURT!" Everyone was acutely uncomfortable and Pillman dropped Mick a wink to show he was working them.

Pretty sure this was a story from Jericho's autobiography as well, with him as the one who got the wink.

Claytor fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 6, 2013

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Claytor posted:

This was actually something Jericho did at an indy promotion near the start of his career.

[quote]Foley tells a story about being in ECW, watching someone get hit with a singapore cane shot and running around the locker room screaming "CALL 911! CALL 911! OH JESUS HE'S HURT!" Everyone was acutely uncomfortable and Pillman dropped Mick a wink to show he was working them.

Pretty sure this was a story from Jericho's autobiography as well, with him as the one who got the wink.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I got all my biographies confucked.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
After watching Wrestlemania 18 for the first time since it was live, the Scott Hall vs Steve Austin match made me start wondering how badly Austin was hurt during this time period? I haven't really watched many of the matches from this time period again since seeing them live, but I remember fairly solid matches out of Austin during the Invasion. Did he just wreck up what little was left of his body during the fall of 2001 and he was pretty much a shell by WMX8?

That match against Hall felt like Austin was really protecting his body through out, with the only bump he actually took was a fairly soft looking fall-away slam from Hall. I was just really surprised by how lovely that match was. It pretty much consisted of Austin punching the poo poo out of Hall for the first 75% of the match, then Nash beating up refs, and Austin hitting like 5-6 stunners on Hall and Nash to win the match. I'm sure that Vince wanted to bury the nwo to show WWF superiority, but man, that match makes Hall & Nash into complete chumps.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Havoc904 posted:

After watching Wrestlemania 18 for the first time since it was live, the Scott Hall vs Steve Austin match made me start wondering how badly Austin was hurt during this time period? I haven't really watched many of the matches from this time period again since seeing them live, but I remember fairly solid matches out of Austin during the Invasion. Did he just wreck up what little was left of his body during the fall of 2001 and he was pretty much a shell by WMX8?

That match against Hall felt like Austin was really protecting his body through out, with the only bump he actually took was a fairly soft looking fall-away slam from Hall. I was just really surprised by how lovely that match was. It pretty much consisted of Austin punching the poo poo out of Hall for the first 75% of the match, then Nash beating up refs, and Austin hitting like 5-6 stunners on Hall and Nash to win the match. I'm sure that Vince wanted to bury the nwo to show WWF superiority, but man, that match makes Hall & Nash into complete chumps.

You have to remember that Austin was dealing with Hall who was drunk. Austin was protecting himself from getting seriously injuried.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

bobkatt013 posted:

You have to remember that Austin was dealing with Hall who was drunk. Austin was protecting himself from getting seriously injuried.

I was under the impression that he was a relatively clean wrestler for the first two months and then the wheels went off with the trip to Europe in May of 2002. Him being drunk at Wrestlemania 18 would make sense for the way they worked the match though.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Havoc904 posted:

I was under the impression that he was a relatively clean wrestler for the first two months and then the wheels went off with the trip to Europe in May of 2002. Him being drunk at Wrestlemania 18 would make sense for the way they worked the match though.

Yeah, they told Scott he was going to be a part-time guy when they hired him, then kept him on the road way too long and he fell off the wagon.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Scott Hall said that 40 days was the longest he has gone sober unless forced too. He might have been sober, but Austin might have just been playing it safe since he had no idea what state Hall would be in when he got out there.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I'm pretty sure Austin's body was pretty well hosed at that point. He walked out shortly after WrestleMania and only wrestled a handful of matches after that.

In retrospect, spending half of 2001 getting suplexed to poo poo by Angle and Benoit probably wasn't very smart for a guy with a surgically repaired neck.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

The quality of austin's matches went to utter poo poo near the end. He was so immobile from the knee injuries that it was painful to watch him go through his matches at the end. Everyone's marking out for the idea of punk/austin but austin is far more immobile than taker at this point. It would probably be 5*'s promo wise but 2* wrestling product

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I have to say I kinda don't want to see Austin/Punk at this point. Partly because both guys clearly have some nagging injures that are still giving them grief (though Punk's are more recent than Austin's, of course) and I'd really rather not see either one of them come to any further harm. And partly because WWE hasn't been filling me with confidence lately in regards to most of their recent storylines and angles, so I have no doubt they'd find some way to gently caress up the build to an Austin/Punk match.

Now, if both guys were in much better shape? That'd be a different story. :allears: I'd be willing to see that even with the recent spate of terrible booking, because they'd manage to rise above it in the ring.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Austin has been fine for a while now, actually. He'll never work a full schedule again, but he has another program or two in him if he wants them, and it would have to be something great to get him out of retirement.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Austin said on twitter a while back that in his current shape he could probably go a full WWE schedule for a year, but then he likely wouldn't be able to walk afterwards and he rather fancies being able to do that.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

oatgan posted:

Austin has been fine for a while now, actually. He'll never work a full schedule again, but he has another program or two in him if he wants them, and it would have to be something great to get him out of retirement.

Yep, he was saying exactly that on his podcast a couple weeks ago. Oddly dovetailing into his pitch for Onnit...

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Zyla posted:

The quality of austin's matches went to utter poo poo near the end. He was so immobile from the knee injuries that it was painful to watch him go through his matches at the end. Everyone's marking out for the idea of punk/austin but austin is far more immobile than taker at this point. It would probably be 5*'s promo wise but 2* wrestling product

It wouldn't be a 5* classic remembered for expert workrate, but there's no way in hell that IMO if Austin came back for one huge program with Pun that it wouldn't culminate at least a fairly good match. And I think everyone would agree that the promos and atmosphere would go a long way towards making up for other issues.

I think it would actually be pretty hard for Creative to gently caress up too simply because I really think that if Austin comes back he's going to do so on his own terms.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Thauros posted:

It wouldn't be a 5* classic remembered for expert workrate, but there's no way in hell that IMO if Austin came back for one huge program with Pun that it wouldn't culminate at least a fairly good match. And I think everyone would agree that the promos and atmosphere would go a long way towards making up for other issues.

CM Pun would be the greatest gimmick ever. Ryback starts chanting "feed me more" and CM Pun comes down with a turkey sandwich

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
How about he goes 1 match at Mania and still be able to walk. If built up in a way I'd be fine if it was basically a kick, stunner, pinfall.

Or, hell, just be around in some capacity and not risk his health. Maybe be Daniel Bryan's coach in trying to get him fired up to kick rear end for him at Punk vs Bryan Mania.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Austin vs Punk wouldn't take too much of a toll on Austin, cause I bet Punk would be the one doing all the big bumping.

Yes Punk is banged up right now, but I really doubt he's in such bad shape that he couldn't rest up and eventually bump around for an Austin brawl.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

MrBling posted:

Austin said on twitter a while back that in his current shape he could probably go a full WWE schedule for a year, but then he likely wouldn't be able to walk afterwards and he rather fancies being able to do that.

poo poo, 2-3 matches, occasionally Stunner Brad Maddox/Cole, he can handle it

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

CM Pun would be the greatest gimmick ever. Ryback starts chanting "feed me more" and CM Pun comes down with a turkey sandwich

That isn't a pun.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Gonzo McFee posted:

That isn't a pun.

My favorite current one is

"There's a leak on the boat!" the scientist observes
"AAAAHHHH!!!" the scientist screams
"AAAHHHHH!!!" the leak screams back

From the Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 trailer. So many puns it's going to be loving epic and I can't wait.

I don't even know if they are puns but whatever.

"Tacodile....SUPREME!"

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Gatts posted:

From the Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 trailer. So many puns it's going to be loving epic and I can't wait.

"Tacodile....SUPREME!"

What is this

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Gatts posted:

"Tacodile....SUPREME!"

Can you give me a synopsis of the Monsters University trailer now?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Gatts posted:

"Tacodile....SUPREME!"

This certainly is a wrestling question that didn't deserve its' own thread. :v:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Guys, I was quoted, I should answer.

I don't know what the gently caress you're talking about, Gatts.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Why did Chavo ask for his release from the WWE?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Shadow225 posted:

Why did Chavo ask for his release from the WWE?

He felt that he could be as big a star as John Cena, but wasn't being given the opportunity to do so.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Currently watching Wrestlemania IV for the first time. This is bizarrely terrible. Like, the matches aren't bad except for being too short, but all the finishes are garbage. They accidentally ring the bell that Hercules pinned Ultimate Warrior even though he kicked out and the ref corrects it by awarding the match to Warrior? WTF? Was the entire tournament basically an afterthought to the DiBiase story?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Gonzo McFee posted:

That isn't a pun.
Okay, CM Pun comes down with The Miz and they beat down Ryback. The Miz bites Ryback and Cm says "You said 'Feed meme whore,' didn't you?"

Sorry.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

LightsGameraAction posted:

Was the entire tournament basically an afterthought to the DiBiase story?

More or less, yup. Although Bret really started getting a singles push around WM4, so there's that at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Gonzo McFee posted:

Guys, I was quoted, I should answer.

I don't know what the gently caress you're talking about, Gatts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PmUemZywgg

This trailer. With the puns. The glorious puns.