Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Goodbye Horses is one of the best one-and-done songs of all time.

Someone sat down and was like "Hey, you know Erasure? What if it was super unsettling."

Then proceeded to make that song work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
In all seriousness I'm totally buying the poo poo out of that Goodbye Horses single.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Records I listened to today:

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

So that At the Drive-In - Relationship of Command reissue you can get through Hot Topic still doesn't have any info. I emailed them and asked about the details and they got back to me and said

Hot Topic posted:

I do apologize we wont have that information available. That information will be on Vinyl when you receive your order.

They've shipped it and right now it's in Georgia. Maybe the first batch that went on sale and the quickly became sold out was just the RSD version. #hope

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Was stuck in traffic yesterday afternoon, commuting home, hot and annoyed. Decided to hop off the freeway and stop by a salvage/auction place I occasionally check out for weird furniture or musical instruments. Ended up grabbing Death of a Ladies Man and New Traditionalists in really nice shape. I'd have left with a copy of Off The Wall as well, but the record didn't look to be in as good a shape as the others.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.
NOTE: I am not in any way associated with the following link.

A different music forum I've been known to frequent has a megathread where people post eBay buy-it-nows that are cool, but which the posters don't personally need/want. I was scouring the BINs when I came across this copy of John Fahey's The Essential.... And it seems to be a pretty good deal relatively speaking.

"Essential" is kind of a misnomer for this collection, because it's really just two of his Vanguard albums on a 2xLP. But the first disc is The Yellow Princess in its entirety, which is among his best albums, and perhaps the best to start with if you're not familiar with his material. If you're not familiar with him, he was an eccentric genius folk guitarist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C334UCVTPoE

Highly recommended. I'd buy it if I needed it.

Seller also has some other possibly-interesting stuff, e.g., RJD2's Deadringer for $9.99, and various poo poo I'm not too familiar with.

Again, I'm not the seller. Just sharing to be nice.

e: Someone bought it, perhaps not a goon, but someone did.

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 11:34 on May 7, 2013

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Found a copy of Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus for $1.00 at the GCF donation store. I excitedly bought it and brought it home.

It has a giant cracked chunk missing on the record. :smithicide:

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

the posted:

Found a copy of Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus for $1.00 at the GCF donation store. I excitedly bought it and brought it home.

It has a giant cracked chunk missing on the record. :smithicide:
Was it sealed? Why didn't you look at the vinyl before you bought it?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Well, it was a dollar. Turn it into a pitcher or something.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Because I'm a gullible idiot, and no it wasn't sealed. You live and learn man.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
At least it was only a dollar, that's a cheap lesson learned.

Unlike..

On top of being the worst sounding pressings I've heard (hey I bought them all on holiday and didn't have time to check discogs) I was greeted by that. The picture doesn't really do it justice. It's a pretty deep gouge. The sleeve is fine and it was new/sealed etc. $90 on all 3 Bungle albums and all 3 sound like garbage. Should have just saved a bit more and bought the original pressing of Disco Volante. Oh well.

worthless insect
Aug 12, 2012

Just bought Combatwoundedveteran's I know a girl who develops crime scene photos on white vinyl. Pretty excited but I don't think the people I live with will appreciate it as much as I do. They'll learn to like it.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I have an extra copy of Sigur Ros ( ) is anyone's interested. It's the recent Fat Cat issue from Amazon.co.uk.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

iostream.h posted:

I have an extra copy of Sigur Ros ( ) is anyone's interested. It's the recent Fat Cat issue from Amazon.co.uk.

I am. How much are you asking for it?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

iostream.h posted:

I might be, depending on how much it is shipped. I don't have PMs.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

luncheon meat posted:

At least it was only a dollar, that's a cheap lesson learned.

Unlike..

On top of being the worst sounding pressings I've heard (hey I bought them all on holiday and didn't have time to check discogs) I was greeted by that. The picture doesn't really do it justice. It's a pretty deep gouge. The sleeve is fine and it was new/sealed etc. $90 on all 3 Bungle albums and all 3 sound like garbage. Should have just saved a bit more and bought the original pressing of Disco Volante. Oh well.

I got the Sparklehorse Vivadixie reissue on Plain, and it's pretty hosed up on one side. I thought it was just because they have the additional 7" on that release, rubbing up against the 12", but that's disappointing that most of their releases are of very poor quality. Pity, since they usually get pretty good albums to repress. I've wanted California on vinyl, but I think I will avoid that, now.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Fors Yard posted:

I got the Sparklehorse Vivadixie reissue on Plain, and it's pretty hosed up on one side. I thought it was just because they have the additional 7" on that release, rubbing up against the 12", but that's disappointing that most of their releases are of very poor quality. Pity, since they usually get pretty good albums to repress. I've wanted California on vinyl, but I think I will avoid that, now.

Yeah I was pretty disappointed too. I think the problem is they crammed the whole album onto one record instead of spreading it out onto 2. Is yours like super super loving quiet too? I'd like to think its quiet because they used an analogue source and didn't do anything to it but somehow I doubt it, which is a shame too because Bungle made a point of recording California on analogue equipment.

When a 40 y/o record that's warped to gently caress after sitting in a shed for ~25 years sounds better than a brand new pressing you know they're doing something very wrong, heh.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

My friend has the double grooved Disco Volante and it was incredibly quiet as well. Strange to see a common thread among all these Bungle records.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Fors Yard posted:

Pity, since they usually get pretty good albums to repress.

Why do they get such good albums? I only have their Sparklehorse albums as a stopgap until I find for cheap / save up for / get drunk and buy the originals. They sound alright to me, but a bit thin, and what gets me most is there are tracks missing (because they cram it onto a single record, as has been said). I heard (in this thread actually) that their Ween releases are OK, but I can't vouch for that yet as the ones I got were warped too much to play, so waiting on replacements for them.

In unrelated news, was very happy to find a sky blue copy of Boc's 'In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country' for about half the going price today but it has a tiny dent during the title track which makes it skip (although I have only played it once so far). Still would have bought it if I had known, but aw.. at least the copy of 'Hi Scores' is fine.

Also bought pretty much my top 4 favourite Miles Davis albums so that'll keep me going, got to be careful not go nuts on Miles stuff as I do have a future to save up for and that's a slippery slope..

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Yes, all the Mr. Bungle releases by Plain are absolutely atrocious.

It's ridiculous and I felt completely ripped off.

e: I want this so bad but there's no way I can drop that kind of money on it.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 10:58 on May 6, 2013

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Yes, all the Mr. Bungle releases by Plain are absolutely atrocious.

It's ridiculous and I felt completely ripped off.

e: I want this so bad but there's no way I can drop that kind of money on it.

Does it have "One Track Lover?"

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Jerry Cotton posted:

Does it have "One Track Lover?"

I don't think he has the rights seeing as it's a Dean Learner joint, and Learner is known to be incredibly possessive when it comes to license rights.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

luncheon meat posted:

Yeah I was pretty disappointed too. I think the problem is they crammed the whole album onto one record instead of spreading it out onto 2. Is yours like super super loving quiet too? I'd like to think its quiet because they used an analogue source and didn't do anything to it but somehow I doubt it, which is a shame too because Bungle made a point of recording California on analogue equipment.

The length shouldn't be a problem. California is about 45 minutes long, which should fit very well on two sides of a vinyl record. Really, once you get to about 50 minutes, you start pushing it, but with careful cutting, you can have a 55 minute LP sound good. Nor should the source they used. Probably, whoever cut it just did a lovely job.

whooping crane
Feb 12, 2012

Fors Yard posted:

I got the Sparklehorse Vivadixie reissue on Plain, and it's pretty hosed up on one side. I thought it was just because they have the additional 7" on that release, rubbing up against the 12", but that's disappointing that most of their releases are of very poor quality. Pity, since they usually get pretty good albums to repress.

I was thinking of picking up It's A Wonderful Life just a few days ago. Are all Sparklehorse's reissued LPs poor quality? I'm glad I'm hearing about this now if so.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

The Human Cow posted:

I am. How much are you asking for it?

Blast Fantasto posted:

I might be, depending on how much it is shipped. I don't have PMs.
It cost me £20.80 which is $32.37 so according to the Paypal calculator I need to ask $33.64.
I won't be able to ship until Thursday however.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

iostream.h posted:

It cost me £20.80 which is $32.37 so according to the Paypal calculator I need to ask $33.64.
I won't be able to ship until Thursday however.

Human Cow can take it, if he still wants. I shouldn't be spending money on records right now anyway.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Blast Fantasto posted:

Human Cow can take it, if he still wants. I shouldn't be spending money on records right now anyway.
No worries, I'm not in a bind or anything and I am not trying to profit on it at all.

I'd actually be quite interested in trading for another Sigur Ros vinyl if anyone had something.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Jeff Goldblum posted:

My friend has the double grooved Disco Volante and it was incredibly quiet as well. Strange to see a common thread among all these Bungle records.

I don't really think there's anything wrong with a record being quiet. I'd in fact prefer it to be quiet and have to turn up the volume if I want it loud than for it to be loud on the disc. Of course, if it sounds lovely, that's another story.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

whooping crane posted:

I was thinking of picking up It's A Wonderful Life just a few days ago. Are all Sparklehorse's reissued LPs poor quality? I'm glad I'm hearing about this now if so.

It sounds like they are. I just thought it was because of the bonus 7". I was lucky enough to find the other three at incredible prices (IAWL, and Dreamt for under $20 each!?). I'm sure I'll eventually cave and buy an original Vivadixie, but I doubt I'll buy any of the other Plain reissues.

It should be worth noting that the original Devil in the Woods pressing of IAWL suffers from blown up CD art, too. You can see some ugly pixelation on the front and back covers. The image inside the gatefold looks fine, though. So don't feel too bad if your Plain reissue looks a little chintzy.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I don't really think there's anything wrong with a record being quiet. I'd in fact prefer it to be quiet and have to turn up the volume if I want it loud than for it to be loud on the disc. Of course, if it sounds lovely, that's another story.

It sounds lovely and even with the volume on maximum, it's still barely audible.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?
For what it's worth in support of the label, I have a few Plain reissues (The Flaming Lips, Ween), and I think they sound grand.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

The length shouldn't be a problem. California is about 45 minutes long, which should fit very well on two sides of a vinyl record. Really, once you get to about 50 minutes, you start pushing it, but with careful cutting, you can have a 55 minute LP sound good. Nor should the source they used. Probably, whoever cut it just did a lovely job.

Yeah, California is probably the best sounding of the three. Given the other 2 are up around 70 minutes they're just..

https://soundcloud.com/jerkwobble/badpressings

Go listen, make sure to turn volume up a little. When I loaded one of the tracks from the CD version of California into the editing software it clipped like mad. Just wish they'd released it on vinyl back when it came out.

luncheon meat fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 7, 2013

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

iostream.h posted:

No worries, I'm not in a bind or anything and I am not trying to profit on it at all.

I'd actually be quite interested in trading for another Sigur Ros vinyl if anyone had something.

I'd be happy to give you the cash, but I don't have much of interest to trade.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

The Human Cow posted:

I'd be happy to give you the cash, but I don't have much of interest to trade.

I'm down with that too!

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
A friend at work brought this in for me today. It's not in the greatest condition, but the discs should be perfectly fine after a bit of dust and dog hair removal. I've never seen a copy of this in person, so I'm super stoked. One of my favorite albums.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I recently got this flexidisc/postcard record. The grooves are where, on a normal record, there is the space before the label where people sometimes etch stuff in the wax. Trying to play it on my audiotechnica lp60 is impossible, as the tone arm auto-resets when it gets in that close. Is there any way to make it stop doing that? I've been thinking of upgrading to a newer player anyway, is there one I should get that doesn't do this?

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I've never seen a copy of this in person, so I'm super stoked. One of my favorite albums.

I picked this up on cassette at a thrift store a while back having never heard it before, it's pretty cool. I'm a Phil Lynott fan but had never heard The Spirit of Man before which blew my mind a bit. Glad to hear you picked up one of your favorites.
I've managed to gather a few Best Coast singles and I think they are cool and all but keeping with the trades motif I thought I'd mention I've got the new RSD single(2000 pressed) and the 2010 infinicat/volcom Jeff the Brotherhood single (24/1000) on clear pink. I'm not really looking for cash and shipping would be to/from Canada if anyone is interested.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Trying to play it on my audiotechnica lp60 is impossible, as the tone arm auto-resets when it gets in that close. Is there any way to make it stop doing that?

Nope. Not unless you want to pull the table apart and remove the gears/mechanism/etc. that control that feature. The automatic functions are all basically managed by clockwork connected to the main drive. It's honestly probably easy enough to do, but I think you're better off not gutting the old table if you're thinking of upgrading and selling/gifting it in the future. There's no guarantee that you'll be able to put it back together and make everything work right again. You might also end up loving up something else like the anti-skate in the process too. Budget tables in particular often have everything running off of one interconnected set of gears where pulling one thing kills everything else.

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I've been thinking of upgrading to a newer player anyway, is there one I should get that doesn't do this?

http://www.needledoctor.com/Brand-Stores/Pro-Ject-Debut-Carbon-Turntable

It doesn't have to be that exact model, but you'll probably want a TT that doesn't have any automatic mechanisms if you're on a budget. It means you'll have to set and remove the needle by hand, but it should also play all of the weird shaped records that autos often can't. In my opinion, these tables also tend to sound better out of the box than their automatic counterparts for the same money since they can take the cost of internals and put it into stuff like the cartridge/tonearm/etc.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 7, 2013

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I'm gonna be shipping a record for the first time in a couple of days and I'm curious where people get their packaging. I could re-purpose some packaging I got other records in I suppose.

I'm selling this if anyone's interested

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISIS-LIVE-V...7d2738592#payId

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

WASDF posted:

I'm gonna be shipping a record for the first time in a couple of days and I'm curious where people get their packaging. I could re-purpose some packaging I got other records in I suppose.

I'm selling this if anyone's interested

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISIS-LIVE-V...7d2738592#payId

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-56-33-13-rpm-lp-record.aspx

Or do what I do and just reuse the mailer that one of your albums came in if you've ordered any. If you don't have any lying around, then now's maybe a good excuse to order a new LP from Amazon (IMO, their packaging is always really good) or whatever.

Alternatively, I would also recommend checking around your local record stores to see if they'll sell you one or give it to you for free. A lot of stores buy/sell stuff online now so they must have tons of new and used individual mailers lying around.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 7, 2013