Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Axiem posted:

In the near future, I'm going to be getting a new Mac, and I'm going to want to get Parallels/VMWare on it. It appears that the Mac Super Bundle has Parallels with a bunch of other software for less than Parallels itself.

I see ads for these sorts of Mac software bundles from time to time. Is it worth picking up this bundle? Or do I get locked in to some weird alternate-upgrade path for the various software in it?
Upgrades depend on the developer and how they're handling the promo. Sometimes they follow the regular upgrade path and other times it's on a different path (if there's a path at all). I figure if you have use for enough of the software as is and don't worry about the future they're good deals, like even discounted upgrades might not make up for the difference in initial outlay in comparison.

Sometimes the software in the bundles is towards the end of the current version's life cycle, so again the "as is" rule applies there too. Worst case though if everything still works fine, you can wait a while until the next version gets bundled...Parallels seems pretty common in these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Axiem posted:

In the near future, I'm going to be getting a new Mac, and I'm going to want to get Parallels/VMWare on it. It appears that the Mac Super Bundle has Parallels with a bunch of other software for less than Parallels itself.

I see ads for these sorts of Mac software bundles from time to time. Is it worth picking up this bundle? Or do I get locked in to some weird alternate-upgrade path for the various software in it?

I bought it from the bundle. Nothing led me to believe it was different from any other license. Works great. Prefer it over Fusion.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does anyone know if there's a system wide service I can install so I can highlight a word and have it translated to and from a different language? French, specifically. I don't need it to be intelligent enough to determine whether the word I highlighted is english or french or anything like that, I'd be happy to run two different services. One to translate TO French and one to translate From.

I realize I can use the Dashboard translate widget or translate.google.com but I'd like this to be built in as a service.

I'm generally familiar with writing system services but I'm not sure how I'd go about this so I'm hoping there's something pre-made.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Martytoof posted:

Does anyone know if there's a system wide service I can install so I can highlight a word and have it translated to and from a different language? French, specifically. I don't need it to be intelligent enough to determine whether the word I highlighted is english or french or anything like that, I'd be happy to run two different services. One to translate TO French and one to translate From.

I realize I can use the Dashboard translate widget or translate.google.com but I'd like this to be built in as a service.

I'm generally familiar with writing system services but I'm not sure how I'd go about this so I'm hoping there's something pre-made.

I think, but don't quote me on this, that alfred with a translation plugin can do this, maybe...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks for the suggestion :)

In the meantime I found this though which actually looks like more what I'm looking for since I already use LaunchBar over Alfred.

https://code.google.com/p/babelfish/

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Hey guys, having a bit of trouble with my Late 2012 imac, 10.8.3. I have a 1TB fusion drive.

Somehow, i've ended up with all these little partitions on the main drive (Macintosh HD). I just want to wipe the whole disk and flatten it but disk utility just won't let me. (I've tried booting off a external and doing it, but no dice)

Is there a good app that will let me do this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

the_lion fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 6, 2013

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

the_lion posted:

Hey guys, having a bit of trouble with my Late 2012 imac, 10.8.3. I have a 1TB fusion drive.

Somehow, i've ended up with all these little partitions on the main drive (Macintosh HD). I just want to wipe the whole disk and flatten it but disk utility just won't let me. (I've tried booting off a external and doing it, but no dice)

Stop what you're doing before you hurt yourself and your disk. Those are all normal partitions.

http://osxdaily.com/2011/09/23/view-mount-hidden-partitions-in-mac-os-x/

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

benisntfunny posted:

Stop what you're doing before you hurt yourself and your disk. Those are all normal partitions.

http://osxdaily.com/2011/09/23/view-mount-hidden-partitions-in-mac-os-x/

Glad you stepped in there. Should have done a bit more research. :s
Is there a reason I can't just wipe the whole drive clean though to do a fresh install with disk utility?
I'm just trying to work out if it's because I had issues with installing bootcamp or not.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

the_lion posted:

Glad you stepped in there. Should have done a bit more research. :s
Is there a reason I can't just wipe the whole drive clean though to do a fresh install with disk utility?
I'm just trying to work out if it's because I had issues with installing bootcamp or not.

Are you just trying to wipe "Macintosh HD" (the OS X only partition) ? Are you trying to do it from within Recovery Mode (Command-R on Start up)?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

the_lion posted:

Whatever setting you changed to let you see all the hidden partitions, undo it and go about your life. They are supposed to be there.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

benisntfunny posted:

Are you just trying to wipe "Macintosh HD" (the OS X only partition) ? Are you trying to do it from within Recovery Mode (Command-R on Start up)?

I tried wiping the drive in Black right at the top (also named "Macintosh HD" -though now when I go into disk utility it's calling that "Internal Drive.") and I got a "wipe failed" message.
Wiping just the "Macintosh HD" further down seems to be just fine. I booted from an external drive with 10.8.3 on it that i'd made earlier.

Is that normal?

I'll uh...Turn those hidden partitions back off.

the_lion fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 6, 2013

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

the_lion posted:

I tried wiping the drive in Black right at the top (also named "Macintosh HD" -though now when I go into disk utility it's calling that "Internal Drive.") and I got a "wipe failed" message.
Wiping just the "Macintosh HD" further down seems to be just fine.

Is that normal?

I'll uh...Turn those hidden partitions back off.

If you are booted into your install of OSX its not going to let you format the drive you are running off of. Boot from a thumb drive or off the recovery partition.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

If you are booted into your install of OSX its not going to let you format the drive you are running off of. Boot from a thumb drive or off the recovery partition.

Sorry, just edited my post because I forgot to mention- i am booted off an external with 10.8.3 when i'm doing this.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

the_lion posted:

Sorry, just edited my post because I forgot to mention- i am booted off an external with 10.8.3 when i'm doing this.

If you dont care about whats on the drive. Click the top level of it, click the partition tab and do 1 partition and allow it to re partition.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

If you dont care about whats on the drive. Click the top level of it, click the partition tab and do 1 partition and allow it to re partition.

This is the part that is confusing me- The partition tab appears and I can get into that section, but it won't let me edit the partitions. (The Apply button is greyed out)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

the_lion posted:

This is the part that is confusing me- The partition tab appears and I can get into that section, but it won't let me edit the partitions. (The Apply button is greyed out)

Is this encrypted or a fusion drive? The type shouldn't say Logical Volume Group.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Don Lapre posted:

Is this encrypted or a fusion drive? The type shouldn't say Logical Volume Group.

It's a fusion drive.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Yeah, not encrypted but it is a fusion. The other thing missing since I have the top drive selected is normally it tells you down the bottom if it's using the GUID table or not.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

the_lion posted:

Yeah, not encrypted but it is a fusion. The other thing missing since I have the top drive selected is normally it tells you down the bottom if it's using the GUID table or not.

I would destroy the fusion drive in terminal, and then rebuild it fresh then.

Especially if this is a home built fusion drive. Disk utility doesn't know wtf.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 6, 2013

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

I would destroy the fusion drive in terminal, and then rebuild it fresh then.

Especially if this is a home built fusion drive. Disk utility doesn't know wtf.

Is there a good, smart way to do this? Bit new to both fusion drives and terminal, and I don't want to stuff things up further.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

the_lion posted:

Is there a good, smart way to do this? Bit new to both fusion drives and terminal, and I don't want to stuff things up further.

If your fusion drive is a factory fusion drive, you MUST use the version of disk utility that ships with the machine, which means using Internet Recovery. If you use 10.8.3 from the app store or somewhere else it won't be able to automatically recognize it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5446

BTW, I hope this all gets cleared up in 10.8.4....

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

echobucket posted:

If your fusion drive is a factory fusion drive, you MUST use the version of disk utility that ships with the machine, which means using Internet Recovery. If you use 10.8.3 from the app store or somewhere else it won't be able to automatically recognize it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5446

BTW, I hope this all gets cleared up in 10.8.4....
I'm not seeing where that article confirms what you're saying. 10.8.3 was the unified build that brought Disk Utility from the 10.8.2-Fusion-fork version into the fold.

As far as I know, 10.8.3 already did what you're asking 10.8.4 to do.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 6, 2013

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm not seeing where that article confirms what you're saying. 10.8.3 was the unified build that brought Disk Utility from the 10.8.2-Fusion-fork version into the fold.

As far as I know, 10.8.3 already did what you're asking 10.8.4 to do.

Been dealing with Apple support, the guy told me this was the case and not to use just any old version of disk utility. He also mentioned he hoped "not having to use third party software to wipe the drive"- not sure which he was referring to. He said fusion drives are heaps finicky sometimes.

Turns out making my own bootcamp partition and using winclobe was what screwed things up. We managed to boot Internet recovery, and I should be okay hopefully. Will find out later when it finishes download.

Thanks a heap for the help guys.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
I'm having a huge headache attempting to use a non-standard external monitor with my Macbook. It's a white plastic 2009 model, running OS 10.6.

Basically, what I've got, is a Chinese DVI/VGA driver running a tiny 5.6" screen, rather than a giant name-brand monitor. I'm using it to build a homemade stereoscopic HMD. The hardware works perfectly, but the Macbook won't recognize that it exists.

I've tried sleeping the Macbook, then waking it up with the cover closed. I've tried detecting displays. Nothing. The ONLY thing that has worked so far was booting it up, then closing the lid immediately. That gave me the gray Apple logo on my HMD LCD, but then it turned off again before the login screen appeared.

Is there anything I can do to force/spoof an external display?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Try using SwitchResX and see if you can define a resolution that matches your custom display..

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

Binary Badger posted:

Try using SwitchResX and see if you can define a resolution that matches your custom display..

I played around with that a bit, and couldn't find any options that helped. The 5.6" screen actually has the same native resolution as my laptop, 1280x800, so the only problem is convincing the computer that it exists as a valid DVI output.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Locus posted:

I played around with that a bit, and couldn't find any options that helped. The 5.6" screen actually has the same native resolution as my laptop, 1280x800, so the only problem is convincing the computer that it exists as a valid DVI output.

Can you try another DVI adapter? Sometimes if you have/don't have the analog pins it will get confused. I had to swap adapters around on a couple of Macs to get the right combinations of adapters and monitors so that everyone could use an external monitor.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
So I'm on day 1 with a 13" MBP Retina. I've noticed that Preview will not actually display several photos anywhere near their actual resolution. The photo is 2560x1600 so it oughta fill up the screen almost completely. Clicking 'get info' tells me that it hasn't been resized. Just to double-check that, I uploaded it to imgur where it displays in its full resolution in Chrome. I have the display set at the more space option as well. Is this a weird bug or am I missing something?

bloops fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 8, 2013

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

holocaust bloopers posted:

So I'm on day 1 with a 13" MBP Retina. I've noticed that Preview will not actually display several photos anywhere near their actual resolution. The photo is 2560x1600 so it oughta fill up the screen almost completely. Clicking 'get info' tells me that it hasn't been resized. Just to double-check that, I uploaded it to imgur where it displays in its full resolution in Chrome. I have the display set at the more space option as well. Is this a weird bug or am I missing something?

On Retina MacBook Pros Preview shows the photo at 1/4 size so that 1 pixel on the photo corresponds to 1 physical pixel on the Retina display. You can easily zoom in/out on Preview with the +/- magnifying class buttons or by hitting Command-+/-. I honestly find it pretty annoying but there has been a history of non-Retina resolution display of photos on Retina MacBook Pro screens looking bad and getting Apple bad press so that might have informed this decision.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Short of disabling Documents & Data in your iCloud preferences, is there seriously no way to stop launching TextEdit without having it bring up that drat file picker?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Martytoof posted:

Short of disabling Documents & Data in your iCloud preferences, is there seriously no way to stop launching TextEdit without having it bring up that drat file picker?

I did this and it will default to local storage which is less annoying.

quote:

Change Default Save Location to Local Storage from iCloud
Launch Terminal, found in /Applications/Utilities/ and enter the following command:

defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSDocumentSaveNewDocumentsToCloud -bool false

http://osxdaily.com/2012/08/20/change-save-location-from-icloud-to-local-mac-storage-os-x/

trinary
Jul 21, 2003

College Slice
For the last week or two, whenever I open up my 13" MBP (2009, running 10.8.3) and wake it from sleep, I get a UserEventAgent process using every CPU cycle it can get and a couple gig of memory till I kill it. Searching around has turned up other people reporting sound driver or usb device issues, but I don't have anything plugged into this machine and haven't installed anything that'd need sound drivers.

Any hints on how to track down the offending driver or figure out what else might be causing this? Nothing in console.app logs looks related to me. It's not a big deal, but it is irritating.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

trinary posted:

For the last week or two, whenever I open up my 13" MBP (2009, running 10.8.3) and wake it from sleep, I get a UserEventAgent process using every CPU cycle it can get and a couple gig of memory till I kill it. Searching around has turned up other people reporting sound driver or usb device issues, but I don't have anything plugged into this machine and haven't installed anything that'd need sound drivers.

Any hints on how to track down the offending driver or figure out what else might be causing this? Nothing in console.app logs looks related to me. It's not a big deal, but it is irritating.

What does it have open? Instructions here

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I don't know if this is a dumb question:

Is there a way for me to remotely manage a Windows Server 2012 system via command line?

Would "PASH" allow it?

I'm able to sit in Terminal all day with our FreeBSD, Apple, and Linux servers, but I have to load up Remote Desktop GUI or VMware or whatever just to get right back to the command line in a PowerShell window on a Server 2012 box.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Thunderbolt Firmware v.1.2 just dropped.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1653

Only for appropriate computers and OS X 10.8.3 and up.

Edit: "This update provides stability fixes for Thunderbolt and Target Disk Mode."

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 10, 2013

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yeah I was just going to ask about that. Anyone see a difference?

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Has anyone else been having problems with Safari's performance lately? I've been having laggy performance (delays when scrolling, typing, loading new pages) that seems to have started with the most recent update.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I haven't noticed anything. Have you tried checking Console for error messages, or seeing if any extensions are misbehaving?

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
I don't have any extensions enabled, but I should check console. I'll try to take a look tomorrow and see if I find anything. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Joe Don Baker posted:

Yeah I was just going to ask about that. Anyone see a difference?

People have TB devices?