Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I got GTA2 last night, I'm having a lot of fun with it. Brings me back to my childhood. But I cant find a church to save the game for the life of me. I keep having to quit before I can save.

If you hijack a TV van, the aerial dish on top will always point towards a church.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

James Woods Fan posted:

Grand Theft Auto 2 was rated T? I...guess that makes sense. I remember loading a bus full of Krishnas into a hot dog meat factory but I don't remember much blood and cussing.

Shooting people had blood, you could also cook them with a flamethrower, electrocute them into skeletons and run people the gently caress over with cars. Does that seem like an "E" rated game to you? Because it doesn't to me.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Cameron posted:

Shooting people had blood, you could also cook them with a flamethrower, electrocute them into skeletons and run people the gently caress over with cars. Does that seem like an "E" rated game to you? Because it doesn't to me.

I think he was surprised it was T instead of M, but realized there wasn't too much blood or coarse language that helicopter parents would find offensive. Mass murdering cops and getting money for running over pedestrians is A OKAY though.

Edit: @ Big Grunty, thanks!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Cameron posted:

I think he meant it probably should have been M.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
The PC and Dreamcast versions of GTA2 were rated M. The PS1 version got a T because they toned down some of the language.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

havenwaters posted:

Make sure you aren't running the game on 16-bit colors mode. That could cause the colors to be weird (go check your resolution in the menu)

Yeah this is what happened, I'm not the smartest :(

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Which flavor of you GTAIV do you guys boot up when you want to gently caress around in the city? I usually prefer TBOGT but I really like being Niko for some reason. Buying new clothes is fun too.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Kilometers Davis posted:

Which flavor of you GTAIV do you guys boot up when you want to gently caress around in the city? I usually prefer TBOGT but I really like being Niko for some reason. Buying new clothes is fun too.

I play Gay Tony and wear a suit while listening to the N64 Goldeneye soundtrack driving a Faggio in the cinematic view under maximum police pursuit for as long as possible.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
TBOGT with simple native. Because explosive shotgun.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
TBOGT because parachutes.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
What are some good NON GRAPHICAL mods for iv/eflc just to muck around in?

I've got the first person mod and I love just walking and driving around, but I have no divine purpose.

Is there a mod that spawns random missions or something? Lcpdfr gets it right I guess but there must be a non cop thing floating around.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

simosimo posted:

What are some good NON GRAPHICAL mods for iv/eflc just to muck around in?

I've got the first person mod and I love just walking and driving around, but I have no divine purpose.

Is there a mod that spawns random missions or something? Lcpdfr gets it right I guess but there must be a non cop thing floating around.

Theres a paramedic mod. Normal people dont walk around and get missions.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

I think I suck horribly at GTA4. I tried to do the mission where you need ot ram the guy from the laundry mats car 4 times before finding how to get into a car again.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I'd like to acually complete TBoGT before GTAV drops. Any good mods you all can recommend? It doesn't matter if they're system-taxing.

Apr 4, 2004

by T. Finninho
I literally just beat gta4. Finally. I could've sworn that I read Roman died in the story. Is there multiple paths on that one or was I dreaming that scenario? I'm not gonna play through again I am just curious.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

56k posted:

I literally just beat gta4. Finally. I could've sworn that I read Roman died in the story. Is there multiple paths on that one or was I dreaming that scenario? I'm not gonna play through again I am just curious.

Roman dies instead of Kate if you do the deal with Dimitri in the final mission. Doing the deal seems really stupid and out-of-character for Niko, but Roman's death is the more interesting of the two endings, in my opinion.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
But Kate is totally boring and you'd never get to go bowling with your cahsin again. I think it might have been my first playthrough on the PC port of 4, but I definitely remember beating the game with Kate's death, but then getting calls from her to go on dates afterwards for a few weeks.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

The rear end Stooge posted:

Roman dies instead of Kate if you do the deal with Dimitri in the final mission. Doing the deal seems really stupid and out-of-character for Niko, but Roman's death is the more interesting of the two endings, in my opinion.

Yeah, but Roman owns, and Kate's boring, so for me, Revenge was an obvious choice. Who else would you talk with about BIG AMERICAN TITTIES if Roman was gone?

Apr 4, 2004

by T. Finninho
I also remember something about a plane flight scene at the end where they went to vice city. The credits are obnoxiously long and there was no extra scene like that at the end. It seems more like now all there is to do is kill people and carjack I guess. Either way the game owns and most of my time with it has been mp coop.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You can either do something dumb and Roman, an interesting character, dies. Or you can do something that makes sense and Kate, a boring character, dies. It's a no brainer.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I kind of like Kate. V:shobon:V

I think that's because I actually went on enough dates with her to see her become something of a real character. She's actually pretty similar to Niko, and her drunk dialogue is pretty good. That's not really a justification as she's just a bizarre character if you don't actually hang out with her, and the game's plot shouldn't depend on you doing the dates. She's not that bad though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The plot of the game acts as if Niko is in love with here, except I only interacted with her the one required time. I completely ignored the whole dating game because it was boring. She's never really in the story and then the end of the game comes and you're supposed to be distraught if she dies.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Because of all the GTA 5 hype getting me excited I just installed 4, since I never finished it the first go 'round. I've played and beat the Episodes, but Vanilla is still on my to-do list. I find myself really wanting to install some mods, namely a realistic car mod, though maybe some other stuff. Does anyone have a favorite car pack like that? There's a ton of them, so it's hard to figure out which is a good one to go with. Preferably something that includes the traffic bug fix, replaces all (or close to) of the cars with stuff that makes sense. You know, replace the Dukes or Sabre GT with an old muscle car and not a sports car. It would also need to be compatible with the Steam version of GTA 4.

I have a pretty good computer too, so enhanced graphics would be a plus.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 7, 2013

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I don't think I ever interacted with Kate at all apart from where the plot forced me to so when she died and Niko was all upset it was kind of weird.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Q_res posted:

Because of all the GTA 5 hype getting me excited I just installed 4, since I never finished it the first go 'round. I've played and beat the Episodes, but Vanilla is still on my to-do list. I find myself really wanting to install some mods, namely a realistic car mod, though maybe some other stuff. Does anyone have a favorite car pack like that? There's a ton of them, so it's hard to figure out which is a good one to go with. Preferably something that includes the traffic bug fix, replaces all (or close to) of the cars with stuff that makes sense. You know, replace the Dukes or Sabre GT with an old muscle car and not a sports car. It would also need to be compatible with the Steam version of GTA 4.

I have a pretty good computer too, so enhanced graphics would be a plus.

I would appreciate some mod suggestions too, as someone who wants reasonable enhancements with some really cool add-ons but doesn't want to transform the whole game.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

I always had to get 100% like/fondness on the girlfriends who leave/die, so I did at least enough dates with Michelle(Karen) and Kate.

Edit:

I have a question regarding Vice City Stories/Liberty City Stories: I'm currently playing on the PS2 versions, is there any way to convert my save to a PSP version in case I wanted to mess around in my save while I'm on the go?

Zedicus Mann fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 7, 2013

Apr 4, 2004

by T. Finninho

fuckpot posted:

I don't think I ever interacted with Kate at all apart from where the plot forced me to so when she died and Niko was all upset it was kind of weird.

Me either.
I think in part because Kate is introduced late enough in the game where you are literally just burned out on the whole concept of keeping friends "happy" and doing activities with them.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
After replaying GTAIII I feel comfortable stating that a lot of the positives of the game rest firmly in nostalgia. I still had buckets of fun (Steam says I spent 28 hours but I'm pretty sure I had half of day where it was loaded... still more time than I expected, though) but the series has seen such dramatic refinement over the years that the game feels downright crude in so many ways. The Bait mission can also go gently caress itself, that's probably the only one that I wound up having to replay a lot to complete.

It's also kind of interesting to go through the game with a better understanding of developer tricks in the map layout and ways Rockstar North trimmed budget on doing motion capture, such as characters leaving Claude notes for missions instead of talking to him sot hey don't have to animate their facial expressions.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

DangerKat posted:

After replaying GTAIII I feel comfortable stating that a lot of the positives of the game rest firmly in nostalgia. I still had buckets of fun (Steam says I spent 28 hours but I'm pretty sure I had half of day where it was loaded... still more time than I expected, though) but the series has seen such dramatic refinement over the years that the game feels downright crude in so many ways. The Bait mission can also go gently caress itself, that's probably the only one that I wound up having to replay a lot to complete.

It's also kind of interesting to go through the game with a better understanding of developer tricks in the map layout and ways Rockstar North trimmed budget on doing motion capture, such as characters leaving Claude notes for missions instead of talking to him sot hey don't have to animate their facial expressions.
GTA3 was the only game to ever truly amaze me. I remember the first time I played it was at my cousin's, and it was also the first time I played the PS2. I had never heard of it and I had no concept of sandbox games (especially coming from the N64). Simple things like being able to steal any car, listen to and change the radio stations, and get into a police chase at any time just blew me away. Nobody ever told me a game could be like that! I ended up buying it for PC as soon as it was released and put so many hours into it that summer.

I went back and played through it recently and it was still really great. Some of the missions were annoying but it was still fun. I was afraid I would ruin all my memories of it but instead it just reminded me of all the fun I had playing it.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
You know, the variety and detail on the police lightbars makes me think they picked up on the huge GTA Police Community, but from the short glimpses we got at flash patterns it seems they hosed them up pretty severly which kinda contradicts it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

56k posted:

Me either.
I think in part because Kate is introduced late enough in the game where you are literally just burned out on the whole concept of keeping friends "happy" and doing activities with them.

Or you just spent a whole bunch of time with the lawyer you can date.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.

wa27 posted:

GTA3 was the only game to ever truly amaze me. I remember the first time I played it was at my cousin's, and it was also the first time I played the PS2. I had never heard of it and I had no concept of sandbox games (especially coming from the N64). Simple things like being able to steal any car, listen to and change the radio stations, and get into a police chase at any time just blew me away. Nobody ever told me a game could be like that! I ended up buying it for PC as soon as it was released and put so many hours into it that summer.

I went back and played through it recently and it was still really great. Some of the missions were annoying but it was still fun. I was afraid I would ruin all my memories of it but instead it just reminded me of all the fun I had playing it.

I think this is why everybody, no matter how old, gets so drat hyped about a GTA new release. GTA was truly the next level in games when it came out, I mean, even gta 1 and 2, were so amazing to me and I played them after I played GTA 3 for the first time but the main thing was the amount of freedom they any GTA game had at the time was loving breathtaking. I remember playing it for the first time in maybe 4th or 5th grade and thinking wow, i'm going to be playing this for the rest of my life, and I pretty much have been playing GTA in one form or another ever since.

Quick question: Does anybody know when Rockstar first started working with the RAGE engine, obviously GTA 4, but I mean, did they start working on the RAGE engine immediately after San Andreas, does anyone know?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Dave Mustard posted:

Quick question: Does anybody know when Rockstar first started working with the RAGE engine, obviously GTA 4, but I mean, did they start working on the RAGE engine immediately after San Andreas, does anyone know?

That game released in 2006.

E. For reference, San Andreas released in 2004.

N. Senada fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 9, 2013

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown
Speaking of playing through past GTA games, I've been trying to wrap up the ballad of gay tony (never finished it for whatever reason)

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think time has been friendly to the controls of the IV-era games. Going in to and out of cover doesn't feel precise, the enemies are bullet sponges, and I constantly fight with the camera. Also, those Bulgarin can go screw themselves.

On the other hand, I've also restarted up Red Dead again and that game is so smooth. The shooting is such a step up from IV and the camera never gets in the way.

Bonus GTA 3 memory: I rented it about 40 times on PS2 before I was able to buy it. I think I could still get around that map today even though I haven't play it in years.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.

Faltese Malkin posted:

Speaking of playing through past GTA games, I've been trying to wrap up the ballad of gay tony (never finished it for whatever reason)

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think time has been friendly to the controls of the IV-era games. Going in to and out of cover doesn't feel precise, the enemies are bullet sponges, and I constantly fight with the camera. Also, those Bulgarin can go screw themselves.

On the other hand, I've also restarted up Red Dead again and that game is so smooth. The shooting is such a step up from IV and the camera never gets in the way.

Bonus GTA 3 memory: I rented it about 40 times on PS2 before I was able to buy it. I think I could still get around that map today even though I haven't play it in years.

Yeah, it's a pretty big problem. I always play Max Payne 3 and think man, i'm going to go back to GTA IV, who cares if I can't dive and do slow mo, but the loving cover usage and movement is soooo bad, it almost feels like each action is a quick time event like a resident evil melee attack or some poo poo because it takes the control out of your hands for so long, and even worse it's not responsive. If the movement/cover usage even reaches a halfway point between GTA 4 and Max Payne 3 i'll be happy.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

DangerKat posted:

The Bait mission can also go gently caress itself, that's probably the only one that I wound up having to replay a lot to complete.

How come? I didn't find Bait to be all that hard (I played it yesterday), and not nearly as hard as some other missions around it (dreading Espresso-2-Go, although at least the time limit starts from the first stall wrecked).*

Doing all the Import/Export garages in GTA III is one of the best ideas in the game. The Emergency one lets you get a tank without cheating (aside from the initial cheat to get the tank, if you're so inclined), and the one in Shoreside Vale carries a good number of good cars (Kuruma and Sentinel are pretty great at going from A to B at a reasonable pace), all of which except the BF Injection are easily found just outside it.

Also, am I the only one who really likes Donald Love as a character? To me, it looks like he's the most straight up "honest" character, at least in GTA III.

*but I just noticed that Espresso-2-Go is one of the last missions of the game. Might even finish it today, then on to VC.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I ran into a lot of problems with the Cartel dying before I got to the trap site if my car started on fire or if I did get to the site, the AI would try to enter from the wrong direction.

I'm sure if I had used the bulletproof Patriot I would have had no problem. Also what makes it frustrating is the dying/failing in Shoreside Vale and needing to get back to Staunton to replay.

And conversely, Espresso-2-Go only took 2 tries.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

DangerKat posted:

And conversely, Espresso-2-Go only took 2 tries.

Took me two tries as well, and I could have done it in one if I hadn't wasted a bit of time changing cars (bulletproof Patriot caught fire, stole a Coach, then went for a Cabbie, and wasted a bit more time trying to steal a Kuruma which drove away). Definitely easier than I expected, especially if you know where the stands are. It is a bit annoying when you're apparently not going fast enough to destroy the stand and have to waste ~30 seconds ramming it again.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Serperoth posted:

Also, am I the only one who really likes Donald Love as a character? To me, it looks like he's the most straight up "honest" character, at least in GTA III
You might not want to play Liberty City Stories, then...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Serperoth posted:

Took me two tries as well, and I could have done it in one if I hadn't wasted a bit of time changing cars (bulletproof Patriot caught fire, stole a Coach, then went for a Cabbie, and wasted a bit more time trying to steal a Kuruma which drove away). Definitely easier than I expected, especially if you know where the stands are. It is a bit annoying when you're apparently not going fast enough to destroy the stand and have to waste ~30 seconds ramming it again.

I used the rocket launcher so that helped with no needing to get right up next to the ones at the airport or in Bellevue Park. Hell, Staunton in general was real quick since like 3 blocks between 4 of the 5 using the rocket launcher.

• Locked thread