Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I'm going to guess they'll have a (possibly individual) internal hallucination with character-development-as-will-save check. Thingy. Or maybe V just shows up and solves it somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

RentACop posted:

I'm going to guess they'll have a (possibly individual) internal hallucination with character-development-as-will-save check. Thingy. Or maybe V just shows up and solves it somehow

You know who else isn't in the final frame all spinny eyed? Mr. Scruffy. :colbert:

There is also no sign of a pile of emaciated mice and bugs who wandered into the trap and zoned out, so maybe the trap doesn't work on normal animals. Mr. Scruffy saves the day.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Angela Christine posted:

You know who else isn't in the final frame all spinny eyed? Mr. Scruffy. :colbert:

There is also no sign of a pile of emaciated mice and bugs who wandered into the trap and zoned out, so maybe the trap doesn't work on normal animals. Mr. Scruffy saves the day.

Yeah, I doubt it would target small animals , buuuut consider that the place was regularly cleaned and kept up as short as Two(?) weeks ago? The beetles weren't eating on the Draketooths until only a day or two before the Order even got there. The reason given that the place was still under illusion and the beetles couldn't find it.
So, there really wouldn't have been time for any corpses to pile up.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I like how in Roy's ultimate victory fantasy he still needs a Vaarsuvius ex machina to succeed. I guess yesterday it would also have included Durkon, though... :smith:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Rich should seriously do what most authors do and just ignore his forums, he seems to be getting seriously burnt out with his audience from the way he's been responding of late.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ZearothK posted:

Rich should seriously do what most authors do and just ignore his forums, he seems to be getting seriously burnt out with his audience from the way he's been responding of late.

Nah, he's been like that forever. 'Giant in the Playground' basically means 'I am smarter than any four of you fucknuckles and don't you goddam forget it'.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gotta wonder why he keeps the forum around. There's certainly no shortage of RPG forums on the internet, and most of them are better than GitP if only by virtue of having, by default, a more diverse population than specifically D&D 3.5 nerds who come for useless bard and commoner railgun jokes. It's hard to see the special appeal that makes a specialized forum necessary beyond pure legacy and habit. It's not even particularly well moderated, as evidenced by Rich having to take time out of his day to reply to bollocks like that.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Without the Playground, a Giant doesn't really have a standard to compare by.

Of course, his playground could be "nerdy webcomics" without harming his name.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Meh, I'm nowhere near as fawning about Rich's 'smackdowns' as you guys seem to be.

Yeah, it's his comic, but it's pure bullshit posturing for him to claim that "[he] could not give one good goddamn what the rules say about anything" and "there are no mistakes, because there are no rules". Consistency is a rule: if Vaarsuvius were to suddenly don some plate armour and cast cure light wounds without an extraordinary reason - would Rich not call that a mistake? Is that not a rule?

Rich can* deviate from D&D rules in the same way that an author writing a story set in the real world can deviate from the laws of nature: that is, through suspension of disbelief, and within the limits of suspension of disbelief. Limits which are subjective for each and every reader.

* Preempting any :goonsay: : it's his comic and he "can" do whatever he wants, including turning it into a manga about talking bananas, durr.

Most readers are fine with Thor showing up and turning weather control into a kill spell, but wouldn't be fine with V suddenly doing cleric stuff out of nowhere (while a few might be). But the more spergy, D&D-addicted readers have their suspension of disbelief broken when an obscure 7th level spell is misused, or when Durkon and V happen to have ridiculously narrow spells prepared at the right moment. Rich can tell those readers "sucks to be you, I'm not willing to constrain myself that much, so you'll have to either stop sperging or stop reading", but he's full of crap when he says that the readers should never have any expectations or make any assumptions about how his world works (which is what "don't bring up the rules to me" ultimately means), and that whatever he makes up should just be accepted because he's the Author®.

It's like if in a review of a high-adrenaline action movie somebody wrote "it's pretty silly and immersion-breaking that every car explodes in a ball of flame on a simple crash, that's not how it works". The director could legitimately tell them "sure, but for our purposes and for 99.9% of the movie watching population a big cool fireball is a lot more important than realistic physics", but they would be full of crap if they responded with "it's MY movie so don't bring up your stupid science to me, if I say cars explode then they explode AND THAT'S FINAL".

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 12:01 on May 6, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The OOTS board on the gitp.com forums is a place I stopped visiting when they went from a weekly comic update thread to a single thread per update with ten pages filled within the hour of update. Keeping up with such threads turn into a full-time job, and not keeping up with them makes you part of the background noise, repeating the same thing twenty other people have already said five pages ago.

Same reason I stopped visiting the MSPA forum entirely.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
While it comes off a little angry your post Nihil is pretty much spot on, very well written.

Rich's best response to that guy would be a) no response at all, or b) the character don't have people's spell list memorized or necessarily know disentigrate can best forcecage, they aren't meta power gamers, they are characters who don't have perfect memory or knowledge ranks

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

greatn posted:

While it comes off a little angry your post Nihil is pretty much spot on, very well written.

Rich's best response to that guy would be a) no response at all, or b) the character don't have people's spell list memorized or necessarily know disentigrate can best forcecage, they aren't meta power gamers, they are characters who don't have perfect memory or knowledge ranks

It's not fawning, it's just funny when compared with (say) the intensely professional niceness of his Kickstarter comms.

He is a little disingenuous about claiming not to care about the rules; it's clear he cares quite a lot, he just gets irritated when people sperg out on something that is either obvious or irelevant.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 12:58 on May 6, 2013

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

sebmojo posted:

It's not fawning, it's just funny when compared with (say) the intensely professional niceness of his Kickstarter comms.

He is a little disingenuous about claiming not to care about the rules; it's clear he cares quite a lot, he just gets irritated when people sperg out on something that is either obvious or irelevant.

It's very funny because it's obvious that the OP in that thread had decided to make that post for the sole purpose of pointing out what would have been an incredibly minor and absolutely irrelevant mistake to score some nerd cred so that he could advance on his journey to be crowned King Sperg (of course he was wrong sooo). Rich's response is not only a message for that poster, but for all the little sperglings on that forum who are constantly combing a comic for tiny inconsistencies with D&D3.5 rules. His response, to me, boils down to him saying that he is writing a comic that is entertaining and tells a good story and the 3.5 rules will only be really examined if they enhance that story.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Olanphonia posted:

It's very funny because it's obvious that the OP in that thread had decided to make that post for the sole purpose of pointing out what would have been an incredibly minor and absolutely irrelevant mistake to score some nerd cred so that he could advance on his journey to be crowned King Sperg (of course he was wrong sooo). Rich's response is not only a message for that poster, but for all the little sperglings on that forum who are constantly combing a comic for tiny inconsistencies with D&D3.5 rules. His response, to me, boils down to him saying that he is writing a comic that is entertaining and tells a good story and the 3.5 rules will only be really examined if they enhance that story.

Even if you don't buy this, characters do not have perfect knowledge of game rules. Even if they do break the fourth wall all the time.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Kajeesus posted:

I like how in Roy's ultimate victory fantasy he still needs a Vaarsuvius ex machina to succeed. I guess yesterday it would also have included Durkon, though... :smith:

Either needed, or part of his fantasy is that V shows up okay and the party works well together as a team.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

My money's on either Elan breaking free by recognizing the flawed narrative structure of whatever dream world he's presented with or Belkar breaking free for one last heroic chance at quasi-almost-sorta-redemption before his impending death.

V probably won't fix things since V going missing still needs to pay off in a more grandiose way and we've already seen one example of V riding in and saving the day through Roy's dream. The Linear Guild and Xykon's party would roll the Order right now if they found them thanks to their undead members, although maybe that'd lead to the Order simply being taken prisoner.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Either needed, or part of his fantasy is that V shows up okay and the party works well together as a team.

Not really though, since Belkar, Haley, and Elan were all mostly or totally ineffectual during the fantasy, betraying Roy's low opinion of them. Roy still sees the order as "Roy and the Primary Casters", at least as far as getting things accomplished is concerned.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What makes everyone assume the fantasy is just Roy's and not communal at all?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

greatn posted:

Because Belkar died in it, and Belkar is still out of it.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I just had a dark thought. Elan was told he would have a happy ending, but what if that meant his last moments were living out a happy fantasy? I doubt that would happen, and it might be stretching the prophecy a bit, but that would be one heck of a gut punch.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

greatn posted:

Because Roy's the only one seen reacting to it, and he's the only one with any agency in the last half of it. Once the Forcecage is up, everyone else quits doing anything. It's just Roy beating on Xykon for several rounds. Why wouldn't Haley try to help, or V cast some combat spells, or even have us hear Elan's music?

Because this was all happening in Roy's head, and Roy's alone.

Depending on what Rich is going for, we might end up seeing the other characters' fantasies if he's using this as a mechanism for "show what each character really wants." On the other hand, it could as easily just be "show the first one so that we know that V's the only free member of the Order left." We'll see at the next update.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

fool_of_sound posted:

Not really though, since Belkar, Haley, and Elan were all mostly or totally ineffectual during the fantasy, betraying Roy's low opinion of them. Roy still sees the order as "Roy and the Primary Casters", at least as far as getting things accomplished is concerned.

Well realistically they would all be pretty useless in this fight so it's hard to blame him.

Elan's always been pretty much useless in any serious party fight if they're not fighting something with severe exploitable flaws like Thog.

Haley got a big enough sneak attack off on Redcloak that he had to heal himself, but it's not like plinking away with arrows after the surprise round's over is going to do a hell of a lot, especially to Mister Damage Reduction.

And Belkar is in bad enough shape to be one shot by pretty much anything.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Belkar knows that he's one stiff breeze from death, Haley knows that she can't Sneak Attack undead and without those extra dice she'd never get over his Damage Reduction, and Elan is too terrified of letting Roy down to ever try to contribute. It makes sense that Belkar would see himself dying, and that Elan and Haley would leave Xykon to Roy. I won't be surprised if each of them has their own dream phantasm, but nothing that happened in this one is so out of character that it can't be a communal fantasy either.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
As for V, since none of them are spell casters they just communally would not be able to really think of anything for V to do. Or maybe the illusion isn't simply generated by their minds, per se.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I hope we get a view of Belkar's afterlife hallucination out of this.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I reckon it's a cutaway after this. The Order are plausibly dealt with until some external factor comes in, so it's a good time to see what's going on elsewhere.

And when I say 'plausibly dealt with', I obviously mean 'fuuuuuuuuuuucked'.

Olanphonia posted:

Yeah, pretty much.

My other favourite GITP forum spergery was some kid who was apopleptic that Xykon beat Darth V when V's power level was CLEARLY SUPERIOR. It was like Epic Point-Misser was some prestige class he'd minmaxed his way into.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 6, 2013

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Does that forum still have at least 50% copy and pasted text from tvtropes?

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Noah posted:

Does that forum still have at least 50% copy and pasted text from tvtropes?

And then some.

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Jan 17, 2001

Forum Veteran

New strip is out!!

It's so beautiful!!

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
Well there's the happy ending

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Eh. I feel like the strip before it already said all that needed to be said.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Huh, so it looks like we're getting shots of all their fantasies. But if that's the case, I wonder why Belkar is dead in all of them. Maybe it's a cumulative fantasy or some poo poo like that?

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

What did they fantasize happening with Durkon and Malack exactly? That Belkar was lying or what?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Brainamp posted:

Huh, so it looks like we're getting shots of all their fantasies. But if that's the case, I wonder why Belkar is dead in all of them. Maybe it's a cumulative fantasy or some poo poo like that?

It is more likely that it's just inevitable in all of their heads -- Roy and Haley, at least, know that Belkar is going to die before the adventure is done, due to Oracle prophecy. Whether they want it to happen or not is irrelevant -- the fact that they know that it's going to happen factors into their vision of the future.

e:

Colonel Cool posted:

What did they fantasize happening with Durkon and Malack exactly? That Belkar was lying or what?

Yeah, that's what it looks like. In Roy's wish fulfillment dream, Belkar was lying and Durkon is still alive.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I love how Roy continues to give absolutely not a gently caress about dead Belkar.

Noah posted:

Eh. I feel like the strip before it already said all that needed to be said.
They're living out several days, if not weeks, of happiness and sunshine in that illusion. That's something the previous strip doesn't drive home. Girard is devious - I'm pretty sure no one's meant to ever wake up from an illusion like that. (Although the Order as it stands right now includes the members who probably have the lowest Will saves as it is; Elan's Wisdom is probably nothing to write home about). And along those lines, they're going to be in a terrible state once they do wake up and realize.

Plus, explicitly calling it out as a happy ending underlines the chance that Elan might die in there very soon. As was mention, this is exactly the sort of thing the rear end in a top hat oracle likes to spring on people.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

My Lovely Horse posted:

Plus, explicitly calling it out as a happy ending underlines the chance that Elan might die in there very soon. As was mention, this is exactly the sort of thing the rear end in a top hat oracle likes to spring on people.

Oh poo poo, I didn't realize at first that this completely voids his oracle-guaranteed survival to the end along with anyone he would consider part of his "happy ending" (which means haley and/or their relationship is at-risk as well now).

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Slashrat posted:

Oh poo poo, I didn't realize at first that this completely voids his oracle-guaranteed survival to the end along with anyone he would consider part of his "happy ending" (which means haley and/or their relationship is at-risk as well now).
I just double checked the Oracle strips for that and that's pretty much the case ("Will this story have a happy ending?" "Yes - at least for you"). Any plot immunity Elan had from that is now gone and I think he's bard savvy enough to realise that shortly.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Hmm... How would the '...For you at least.' part of the prophecy work? I guess if he died in the trap and everyone else came out it would be a happy ending for him, but not for anyone else. But I doubt Rich would kill off Elan so soon after losing Durkon and with Belkar on his way out.

e;fb I guess I should add that if Elan does come out of this trap alive I don't think it voids his prophecy. The tail end of the prophecy suggest that Elan will have a happy ending that isn't necessarily happy for anyone else, but all of them are seeing this happy ending so if that all come out of it intact it doesn't jibe very well with the prophecy.

cafel fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 13, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
People could have given the link.

cafel posted:

Hmm... How would the '...For you at least.' part of the prophecy work?

It's a happy ending for Elan, Haley, and Roy. Belkar's hallucinating that he's and his cat are dead; Vaarsuvius and Durkon aren't affected by the hallucination; so for half the Order it's not a happy ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Oh man, the roy and durkon panel :smith: