Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Mister Bates posted:

Wouldn't it be safer to just puppetize/sphere all the little Central American nations separately, rather than merge them into a big bloc that can potentially gain enough power to be a threat to you? If they ever have a revolution or otherwise try to leave your sphere, it'll be a lot easier to re-subdue them if you don't have to fight all of them at once.

NNM adds a decision to found/release the USCA if all of the former members are in your sphere. It's pretty handy. It adds similar decisions for other unions like Arabia and Italy I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Mister Bates posted:

Wouldn't it be safer to just puppetize/sphere all the little Central American nations separately, rather than merge them into a big bloc that can potentially gain enough power to be a threat to you? If they ever have a revolution or otherwise try to leave your sphere, it'll be a lot easier to re-subdue them if you don't have to fight all of them at once.

Even combined the USCA will never really be a threat to Mexico unless played by a player nation.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I beat the poo poo out of the USA as the CSA then turned my eyes on Mexico, now about to cOlonize. What would a colonizing CSA do in Africa :gonk:

Enrico Dandolo
Aug 6, 2010

Top Hats Monthly posted:

What would a colonizing CSA do in Africa :gonk:

Couldn't do much worse than Belgium.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Enrico Dandolo posted:

Couldn't do much worse than Belgium.

You put too much faith in the humanity of southern slave owners.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Actually, I think it's more that it would pretty much be physically impossible to do worse than Belgium, short of just outright exterminating everyone.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Whoever gave me that advice to play Japan to learn Vicky 2... High five damnit. I finally feel like I'm doing ok.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Yeah, no, the stuff Belgium did in Africa was pretty horrific. You know the whole thing in Rwanda was directly caused by their colonial policies, right?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, no, the stuff Belgium did in Africa was pretty horrific. You know the whole thing in Rwanda was directly caused by their colonial policies, right?
The Rwandan Genocide, you mean? That seems...difficult to prove, at best.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Fister Roboto posted:

Holy poo poo. I had no idea. :smith:

Wikipedia posted:

Through the forced exploitation of rubber, copper, and other minerals in the upper Lualaba River basin, together with the global rubber boom, huge surpluses were generated. Léopold II used part of this new wealth for the embellishment of his native country: the Royal Galleries in Ostend, the Palace of the Colonies in Tervuren, or the triumphal arch in Brussels were funded from the profits generated by the Congo. It soon became clear that these profits were generated on the back of brutal mistreatment of the local people and plunder of the Congo’s natural resources.

Thus, under Léopold II’s administration, the Congo Free State became the site of one of the worst man-made humanitarian disasters of the turn of the 20th century. The report of the British Consul Roger Casement, published in early 1904, was an irrefutable indictment of the “rubber system”: “... the drowsy, unsupervised machine of coercion which wore out the people and the land”.[8] In the absence of a census (the first was made in 1924), it is difficult to quantify the population loss of the period, but it must have been very high. According to Roger Casement’s report, depopulation was caused mainly by four causes: “indiscriminate war”, starvation, reduction of births, and tropical diseases. Adam Hochschild argues that roughly 10 million perished.[9] The human suffering inflicted by the rapacious exploitation of the colony was immense.

When freaking Wikipedia calls your colonial enterprise a humanitarian disaster, you know that you're playing in the Evilness big leagues.

quote:

Congolese children and wives whose fathers failed to meet rubber collection quotas were often punished by having their hands cut off.

Jesus. :gonk:

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I, for some reason, bought a book detailing the poo poo that leopold did in the congo and it legit made me depressed for about two weeks.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Strudel Man posted:

The Rwandan Genocide, you mean? That seems...difficult to prove, at best.

I don't know if I'd characterize it as direct causation, but the German and Belgian policies of favoring the minority Tutsis definitely didn't help ethnic tension. They even did poo poo like make them wear ID cards stating their ethnic identity. I always try to remain cautious when drawing causal links, but they certainly made things a lot worse.

Enrico Dandolo
Aug 6, 2010

Cityinthesea posted:

I, for some reason, bought a book detailing the poo poo that leopold did in the congo and it legit made me depressed for about two weeks.

Yeah I read a book on this topic too, ahh shoot, what was it called again? A House Divided, I think? I'm sure it'll come to me.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Cityinthesea posted:

Leopold's Ghost really did me in for awhile. :smith:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Defeatist Elitist posted:

I don't know if I'd characterize it as direct causation, but the German and Belgian policies of favoring the minority Tutsis definitely didn't help ethnic tension. They even did poo poo like make them wear ID cards stating their ethnic identity. I always try to remain cautious when drawing causal links, but they certainly made things a lot worse.
Yeah, I mean, you could certainly argue that they exacerbated the existing conflicts by further institutionalizing them, but flat-out saying that the genocide was directly their fault strikes me as a little much.

In the Congo, though, yeesh. That stuff was just monstrous beyond belief.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

DrSunshine posted:

Holy poo poo. I had no idea. :smith:

When freaking Wikipedia calls your colonial enterprise a humanitarian disaster, you know that you're playing in the Evilness big leagues.

Jesus. :gonk:

To make things slightly worse, note that the colony wasn't considered a Belgian colony per se, but the personal property of Leopold himself, with all profits going into Leopold's personal bank account to use as he saw fit. So Belgium itself was only enriched as much as Leopold cared to enrich it in whichever ways he wanted to enrich it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Defeatist Elitist posted:

Even worse, the idea of the Tutsis being a real minority might have been a European invention, since the only real difference between the two seems to have been that one group skewed slightly richer and did cattle farming instead of crop farming. The Europeans then took this, and basically redefined everyone along that line, with rich Hutus becoming Tutsis, and poor Tutsis becoming Hutus. Of course the newly defined Tutsis were then favored because they were a rich minority, which is basically the M.O. for any imperial power. Want some locals who would be screwed over by you leaving* to help you keep the rest in line. Though really, that's true for any kind of class warfare, just replace the Tutsis with the middle class and Hutus with "the poor"/"moochers"/"welfare queens".

*or at least fearing they will be.

mmtt
May 8, 2009
So I've been playing a new game as Prussia. It went pretty well by early 1840s, I had founded the NGF and in 1870, had Greater Germany. I had to reload though the first time I didn't get to gobble Austria.

But I've run into a slight problem during a crisis. I had a huge war with France, Russia and the Netherlands. Nobody likes me so nobody joined my side.

At first, I managed to stop France at the border with my professionnal armies but didn't have enough troops to stop the Russia hordes in the east. Finally, I managed to mobilize enough troops to more or less hold the line around the natural borders of Germany, meaning the whole Austria was occupied, getting me ton of war exhaustion.

I beat the Netherlands, advanced in France to get them out and turned my armies east, pushing back the Russian hordes and slowly advancing into western Russia. This took years of constant fighting.

Sadly, at this point, rebels started to pop out due to war exhaustion and a falling economy. Sweden, in my sphere, helped me out by declaring war to Russia and I managed to get them to free Poland (the whole point of the crisis thing). But it seems I lost more than I won.

By then, after a four year war, I was facing massive revolts, my industry scores fell apart as half my factories weren't making any profits due to blockade I believe. Thousands of craftmen are unemployed and joined the rebellion.
I'd would reopen them if I had the money but I'm in debt due to the prolonged war, close to bankruptcy I think. Rebels from Jacobin to Reactionaries are shouting down with the Kaiser.

Basically I won the war but just lost the game. I guess what would have happened to real Germany if they had won WWI but kept being blockaded.

Should I just let them revolt and hope the new government fixes thing ? Should I borrow more money to reopen the factories and hope they get back me in the green to reimburse my debts ?

How do you fight off both France and Russia at the same time without losing grounds ? My standing armies can't man the whole border and at max speed, I can't keep track of all the doomstacks.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
When is it preferable to take a nation as a puppet (or is it satellite)? When is it preferable to take a nation as a sphere? How about both?

What's the difference between a colony, a protectorate, a full national state, a dominion and a satellite?

Since I can only build big ships from states with level 4 naval bases that are in the same continent as my capital, what benefits does building naval bases on other-continent states provide me, aside from ship repair, extended naval supply range and additional colonial points?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Just had a thought after a chat with Pattersong - would it make sense to require a state to have a certain percentage of population be bureaucrats/of an accepted culture before you can spin it off as part of a dominion? Since it'd be a bit odd for, say, the British Empire to tromp down to Africa, plant a bunch of flags down, and then proclaim "OK, you guys are all part of the Dominion of the Congo, now have fun ruling yourselves!" before leaving the befuddled natives for all time, never to return.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

mmtt posted:

How do you fight off both France and Russia at the same time without losing grounds ? My standing armies can't man the whole border and at max speed, I can't keep track of all the doomstacks.

You don't. There's a reason Germany lost both world wars, and you don't even have the Ottomans or Bulgarians to help you. I'd say either reload from way back and try to find some more allies if you're really dedicated to this game, borrow heavily and hope that works out in time, or pick your rebel poison.

Tomn posted:

Just had a thought after a chat with Pattersong - would it make sense to require a state to have a certain percentage of population be bureaucrats/of an accepted culture before you can spin it off as part of a dominion? Since it'd be a bit odd for, say, the British Empire to tromp down to Africa, plant a bunch of flags down, and then proclaim "OK, you guys are all part of the Dominion of the Congo, now have fun ruling yourselves!" before leaving the befuddled natives for all time, never to return.

This sounds great. I don't know how well colonial migration works (I haven't played in forever) but .25% of the population sounds good.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

mmtt posted:

How do you fight off both France and Russia at the same time without losing grounds ? My standing armies can't man the whole border
Why not? Greater Germany shouldn't have trouble fielding enough men to guard its borders. What year is it? Have you kept military spending high to encourage people to become soldiers?

Also, you don't have any natural points of conflict with the Dutch, so you can try buddying up with them. Once China westernises, it's a fantastic ally against Russia. Similarly, Spain makes a useful ally against the French, if only by distracting their armies for a bit. If you can persuade Britain to be friends (don't question Heligoland), the beta patch makes them actually useful.

quote:

and at max speed, I can't keep track of all the doomstacks.
Don't fight wars at max speed. Problem solved. Also, I find it easier to keep track of wars when every relevant thing (battles started, battles won/lost, sieges doing anything) is set to pause the game. It makes big wars take forever to play, but it stops me getting overwhelmed.

quote:

Should I just let them revolt and hope the new government fixes thing ?
You're a major industrial power in at least the mid-game, and since you won the war you probably still have an army. Rebels are not a threat. Unless you want a new form of government, swat them aside.

quote:

Should I borrow more money to reopen the factories and hope they get back me in the green to reimburse my debts ?
If you haven't got the cash to reopen factories and you do have a lot of unemployed craftsmen/clerks, then yes, definitely go into the red to get factories open. Austerity doesn't work.

gradenko_2000 posted:

When is it preferable to take a nation as a puppet (or is it satellite)? When is it preferable to take a nation as a sphere? How about both?

What's the difference between a colony, a protectorate, a full national state, a dominion and a satellite?

Since I can only build big ships from states with level 4 naval bases that are in the same continent as my capital, what benefits does building naval bases on other-continent states provide me, aside from ship repair, extended naval supply range and additional colonial points?
If you can satellite a nation, and you're willing to take the badboy for doing so, then it's better than sphering them. You get a big bonus to influence in a satellited nation, which makes it much less of a pain to hold onto.

A colony is a state which you don't have full control over. The main thing is you can't build factories there, and having a colony eats up colonial power points in maintenance. Colonials can't vote, and several events and techs affect consciousness/military in non-colonial states, but those are minor issues. A full state doesn't do any of that stuff. Creating a protectorate is a polite way of saying you're going to annex some brown people as a colony. A satellite is a country under your control, which stops other countries doing any sort of meaningful diplomacy with it and gives you a big bonus to influence there. A dominion is a satellite, but one you released rather than one you forced to serve you.

You can build light ships from overseas naval bases, and I like to have a few cruisers to pad out my fleets just because they use a third as much naval supply as dreads. I have no idea if that's particularly optimal. Also, just the extra naval supply makes it well worth building all the naval bases you possibly can.

Kavak posted:

You don't. There's a reason Germany lost both world wars, and you don't even have the Ottomans or Bulgarians to help you. I'd say either reload from way back and try to find some more allies if you're really dedicated to this game, borrow heavily and hope that works out in time, or pick your rebel poison.
With a bit of strategic friend-making, Germany is in a good position to kick the poo poo out of France and Russia on a regular basis. My only problem in my current Great War is German scientists' stubborn refusal to invent the gas mask.

quote:

This sounds great. I don't know how well colonial migration works (I haven't played in forever) but .25% of the population sounds good.
Between migration and assimilation, it's entirely possible to get majority-European regions of Africa by game's end, especially since the colonisable bits of Africa don't have anyone's cores.

Friend Commuter fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 6, 2013

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Top Hats Monthly posted:

This image is the best to show what Europeans thought, cicra 1821

As erroneous as this map probably is, historical maps with population density are hard to come by.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Friend Commuter posted:

Why not? Greater Germany shouldn't have trouble fielding enough men to guard its borders. What year is it? Have you kept military spending high to encourage people to become soldiers?
In my experience, there is a short period where you can be a bit short on men, though it might be because I tend to forget to expand my armies. :v: Still, in that situation you should look at how you can most easily shorten the front. If you only have historical Germany then just setting up a straight north-south line from Danzig and down is a good way to stop the Russians, even if they get to hold Prussia for a while. If France is the war leader, those territories don't count for much, and if not you can just take them back after beating France. Similarly, if you're a Greatest Germany (Germany + most/all of Austria's starting territory), you should set up a similar line from Memel and down, which means making a rapid push into Russia. This will prevent the Russians from advancing into Germany, while trapping some of their armies and letting you take their Polish territory.

Also, since the war started from a crisis, you would have had some time to mobilize before the war kicked off, which should have filled out the front lines. Speaking of that, does mobilizing have an effect on crises? It really should have, since it's a major escalation.

Friend Commuter posted:

Don't fight wars at max speed. Problem solved. Also, I find it easier to keep track of wars when every relevant thing (battles started, battles won/lost, sieges doing anything) is set to pause the game. It makes big wars take forever to play, but it stops me getting overwhelmed.
It's funny how different people's play styles can be, I don't ever use anything but max speed, I just (manually) pause often to make sure things are still going according to plan. But hey, whatever works/is fun! :v:

Friend Commuter posted:

A colony is a state which you don't have full control over. The main thing is you can't build factories there, and having a colony eats up colonial power points in maintenance. Colonials can't vote, and several events and techs affect consciousness/military in non-colonial states, but those are minor issues. A full state doesn't do any of that stuff. Creating a protectorate is a polite way of saying you're going to annex some brown people as a colony. A satellite is a country under your control, which stops other countries doing any sort of meaningful diplomacy with it and gives you a big bonus to influence there. A dominion is a satellite, but one you released rather than one you forced to serve you.
A 'protectorate' is also the first level of a colony after you've taken control of a territory, with the 'colony' level requiring more colonial power to unlock. I don't know what the numbers are like, but colonies are supposed to give you more resources I believe.

Friend Commuter posted:

Between migration and assimilation, it's entirely possible to get majority-European regions of Africa by game's end, especially since the colonisable bits of Africa don't have anyone's cores.
Yeah, that really annoys me. No way in hell would most of those areas become majority-European without the states being both downright genocidal and forcing all their poor people to move to a disease infested hellhole (from the perspective of Europeans who were unaccustomed to the climate and diseases at least!) And the natives surely wouldn't be assimilated into the same culture as their oppressors, so that's right out as well.

mmtt
May 8, 2009

Friend Commuter posted:

It's 1880. I'm fielding about 140 brigades, half infantry half artillery. I can man the French border (they have part of belgium) with 30+ stacks but that leave me lacking in the east.
Military spending is at 50%. I usually leave it at that, not sure if I should increase it.

I'm on pretty good terms with GB but they didn't join in and since this isn't a Great War, they can't join during the war.

I'll probably reload and bid my time.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

mmtt posted:

It's 1880. I'm fielding about 140 brigades, half infantry half artillery. I can man the French border (they have part of belgium) with 30+ stacks but that leave me lacking in the east.
Military spending is at 50%. I usually leave it at that, not sure if I should increase it.

I'm on pretty good terms with GB but they didn't join in and since this isn't a Great War, they can't join during the war.

I'll probably reload and bid my time.

Yeah you should increase your military spending, if you're Germany even on max it will probably be a fairly insignificant ammount.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

mmtt posted:

:stare: That's far too low! Pump that poo poo up as high as you can, no poor people are going to want to be soldiers if you don't pay them well to jump into meatgrinders. Germany in particular can easily afford a huge army, so don't skimp on it. Germany's destiny is having a military that can take on all of Europe at once, not being challenged by two "great" powers and the Netherlands.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's funny how different people's play styles can be, I don't ever use anything but max speed, I just (manually) pause often to make sure things are still going according to plan. But hey, whatever works/is fun! :v:
I used to do that, but with how fast sieges go in HoD (in my current Great War in 1920, I'm sieging fortless provinces in about 10 days) I just can't keep up without constant pausing. I think I'm actually making Operation Barbarrosa look glacial.

quote:

Yeah, that really annoys me. No way in hell would most of those areas become majority-European without the states being both downright genocidal and forcing all their poor people to move to a disease infested hellhole (from the perspective of Europeans who were unaccustomed to the climate and diseases at least!) And the natives surely wouldn't be assimilated into the same culture as their oppressors, so that's right out as well.
Especially when it happens in the extra-inhospitable regions (the Libyan Desert was the first bit of German Africa to become majority-German in my current game, probably because it starts out with a really low population but I can't imagine Germans wanting to move there/the locals suddenly declaring themselves German).

mmtt posted:

On top of what's already been said about military spending, by 1880 your army tech lead on Russia should be devastating. You ought to be able to win decisive victories with any fairly-equal commitment of forces. If you can't keep the whole frontline manned, you can hold your armies in reserve and attack the Russkies as they start to siege your provinces.

Also you shouldn't be using just half inf half art. Throw a couple bridages of dragoons/hussars and engineers into each stack, getting your siege and recon efficiencies up to 100% makes your armies much more effective on the offense.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I would love to know what goes into a hand-conversion -- is just a matter of tweaking values in a save file, line-by-line, or did you write a program to do it, or what? From a layperson's perspective, it seems like translating province ownership, for example, would be simple enough, but then I'm trying to think of how one would go about modifying/creating every single POP in the world for Vicky 2...

Thankfully I've already made a post about it, I've had some experience with creating an alt-history Vicky.

ZearothK posted:

This editor works for Rome, EU3, HoI3 and V2, it really should be added to the OP, since this question comes up a lot.

The POPAdjuster in this thread is an amazing tool for quickly editing POPs for a mod. Make sure you backup your files until you're familiar with it.

POPAdjuster really is fantastic and makes converting POPs quite easy. You can set it to search for any provinces owned or cored by a specific nations and then change POPs (specific or general) by a percentage or even to other types. So say, for example, you have a new nation around Brazil that is meant to be densely populated and industrialized by protestants, so you can tell the tool to search for cores of your new nation, and then change all Brazilian POPs to your new culture and religion, and then increase population by 150%, and then you can tell it to convert 2% of the labourers into craftstmen so you have people to work in the factories. It takes about a minute, it's easier than blitzing Belgium.

There's also the new Victoria II Nation Establisher. I haven't used it as it only came out after I was done with creating nations, but apparently it automates the coding part of setting technology, government type, literacy, names, colours, flags, political parties, et al. So it should come in handy.

What I mean is that the modding tools people keep asking about already exist.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Friend Commuter posted:

If you can satellite a nation, and you're willing to take the badboy for doing so, then it's better than sphering them. You get a big bonus to influence in a satellited nation, which makes it much less of a pain to hold onto.

You can build light ships from overseas naval bases, and I like to have a few cruisers to pad out my fleets just because they use a third as much naval supply as dreads. I have no idea if that's particularly optimal. Also, just the extra naval supply makes it well worth building all the naval bases you possibly can.
Thanks! I didn't know about the influence bonus for nations that are your satellite. I guess that means that I can satellite them, THEN put them in my sphere afterwards.

How is satelliting a nation comparable with outright conquest, though?

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Also, since the war started from a crisis, you would have had some time to mobilize before the war kicked off, which should have filled out the front lines. Speaking of that, does mobilizing have an effect on crises? It really should have, since it's a major escalation.

Mobilizing increases the crisis tension by 10 for each nation that does it, I believe.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

DrProsek posted:

I totally get why they aren't willing to surrender to me, that makes sense and they are still sending soldiers out every so often so I get why the AI doesn't want to surrender, but my problem is the AI is sending me demands for peace that I gained militancy and war exhaustion for refusing.

Good, use all that free anger to force through reforms!

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thanks! I didn't know about the influence bonus for nations that are your satellite. I guess that means that I can satellite them, THEN put them in my sphere afterwards.

How is satelliting a nation comparable with outright conquest, though?

This gets asked a lot, so here's a handy list to help you decide.

Advantages of satelliting:
- Significantly less infamy than outright conquest
- The country is under your diplomatic control
- Essentially perma-sphering, which gives you access to its resources
- You can still build stuff there via foreign investment
- No issues with nationalist rebels, this is especially a problem with civilized territories
- The country will maintain a modest army of its own
- Doesn't drive down average literacy (note, only civilized areas will do this if you conquer them)
- Can create buffer states between opposing GP's
- Doesn't take up colonial points (if unciv)

Disadvantages of satelliting:
- You don't get access to its manpower
- Can't place NFs and tweak population
- You don't gain any factories already in place
- Doesn't gain access to your techs, so production probably be less efficient
- Satellites build very little in the way of armies and count on you for protection
- A revolution in either country will cause you to lose the satellite

In short, it's generally better to conquer, the main reason for puppeting countries is if you just want secure access to their strategic resources and are wary about getting too much infamy / the territory would be troublesome to hold on to.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

DerLeo posted:

Mobilizing increases the crisis tension by 10 for each nation that does it, I believe.
Looking in defines, I see you're right. Well, that's good then, though 10 does not seem like that much. Does the AI become more likely to mobilize if others do so? If that's the case 10 might be enough. Hah, Victoria II really is a game where you can be completely clueless about certain facets and still do extremely well.

Guildencrantz posted:

In short, it's generally better to conquer, the main reason for puppeting countries is if you just want secure access to their strategic resources and are wary about getting too much infamy / the territory would be troublesome to hold on to./ pretty borders
You forgot the most important consideration.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Quick question about Victoria 2 - as the UK I fought a war against France and lost. Fair enough, I'm terrible at this game. Problem is, I still had armies hanging around in France when the peace treaty was signed and for the life of me can't figure out how to get them back to Britain. Clearly (despite being able to disembark units anywhere) you have to own a province in order to embark them there. This is kind of a problem in this situation, as almost the whole British Army is now hanging around France and totally unable to return home. Disbanding them and reforming new units just seems so inefficient and wasteful. In the end, I had to march them all down to Gibraltar and pick them up there, but surely there's a better way of doing it than this?

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

ThomasPaine posted:

Quick question about Victoria 2 - as the UK I fought a war against France and lost. Fair enough, I'm terrible at this game. Problem is, I still had armies hanging around in France when the peace treaty was signed and for the life of me can't figure out how to get them back to Britain. Clearly (despite being able to disembark units anywhere) you have to own a province in order to embark them there. This is kind of a problem in this situation, as almost the whole British Army is now hanging around France and totally unable to return home. Disbanding them and reforming new units just seems so inefficient and wasteful. In the end, I had to march them all down to Gibraltar and pick them up there, but surely there's a better way of doing it than this?

Put transport boats in the Channel, order dudes to go into the Channel. You'll end up with boats full of dudes. Drop them off in England, repeat as necessary.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Friend Commuter posted:

Put transport boats in the Channel, order dudes to go into the Channel. You'll end up with boats full of dudes. Drop them off in England, repeat as necessary.

Believe me I tried. I couldn't get it to work. Maybe I'm missing something, I'll have another look.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

ThomasPaine posted:

Believe me I tried. I couldn't get it to work. Maybe I'm missing something, I'll have another look.

Were the transports all in a single fleet and with enough free space to take the armies you were sending over? You need one transport per brigade you want to ship, however many men are actually in that brigade.

If that doesn't work, I guess you could save a little time by getting military access from Belgium or someone. Although that's not an option if you've got to pull back from the British Isles or Japan.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Transmetropolitan posted:

The Great Coal Crisis of the early 20th century is really annoying. Any tips in regards to that? I am Brazil, and the distinct lack of coal ANYWHERE in Latin America is frankly abysmal. I guess I will just add some in Colombia and Chile.

Also, must say that after AHD and HoD, Vic2 became a much more enjoyable game. I hope that there is at least one more expansion planned to cut the gem into a really nice game :)

This is one of the things I found frustrating about playing in Latin America. Even though there is coal in a few of those countries its very little in game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

AtomikKrab posted:

Some people have mentioned they wish to see an LP of the game mechanics and stuff... I've been tossing around doing a VIC II LP...

Does the 3 month rule apply due to the expansion?

Can I work on a test post and plans even so?

I'd do france to show off a whole lot of things.

incidently Lev: warships is worth 10 bux. Botes

Do Hearts of Iron 3 instead please.

• Locked thread