Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

AlmightyBob posted:

There's one here in Redmond but it's employees only :mad:

Theres a tiny one at the HQ in the room where you take your systems to be serviced that has some neat doodads. Got me a plush KK Slider and Animal Crossing boy with fishing gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Louisgod posted:

The 3DS had and still has wonky load times: It takes forever for the camera app to load, the eStore is slow to load, notifications can take a while to load, internet browser is slow.. I just think Nintendo didn't take into account how much memory the OS needs while running in the background.

Maybe so, I never paid attention to handheld stuff. Prior to Wii U though the Gamecube just blew the PS2 out of the water on loading in my experience and the N64, being cartridge based, did the same to the PS1.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
In both instances, and also in Wii vs PS3, there was just a lot less days that needed to be loaded due to smaller formats. The PS3 loaded faster or slower depending on how smart the install of the game was though.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

greatn posted:

In both instances, and also in Wii vs PS3, there was just a lot less days that needed to be loaded due to smaller formats. The PS3 loaded faster or slower depending on how smart the install of the game was though.

I know the minidisks were, well, minidisks but they had just as much information on them, did they really load significantly faster because of that? I always thought the Gamecube just had a better design than the PS2 and Nintendo had higher minimum quality standards.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

Theres a tiny one at the HQ in the room where you take your systems to be serviced that has some neat doodads. Got me a plush KK Slider and Animal Crossing boy with fishing gear.

I think you're getting your company stores confused.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Lizard Wizard posted:

I think you're getting your company stores confused.

Werent we talking about how Nintendo needs more stores than just the one in Manhattan, and that they have an employee-only one in Redmond? At the Nintendo building in Redmond they also have a small area where you take your Nintendo systems for service or replacement. The room is full of various Nintendo paraphernalia for purchase by anyone.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Cliff Racer posted:

I know the minidisks were, well, minidisks but they had just as much information on them, did they really load significantly faster because of that? I always thought the Gamecube just had a better design than the PS2 and Nintendo had higher minimum quality standards.

Well technically they held less due to being the same storage density, but that's neither here nor there. Access times in the worst case would be faster due to the smaller disc but in theory the disc would be read slower because of the relationship of linear velocity to the disc size - at the same drive speed a disc will be read faster at the edges than at the center.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

deadwing posted:

It doesn't smoke and mirror the time it takes to boot up a disk game right after turning the system on, but anything not on the disk does seem to have a decent wait period if you boot it up right away.
Yeah, even at launch Nintendoland loaded pretty quickly off the disc. It's the digital poo poo that takes this long to load. Rayman isn't the only app that takes 17+ seconds before it starts to load, it's just the one I notice the most because I'm checking in every day.

The best part is, sometimes a "Starting software...." box shows up, then goes away and there's still a 10 second pause before the splash graphic appears, making it appear like the console locked up.

I'm not sure that they actually sped anything up, it seems more like they just drop you in mid-process. On boot, the menu icons appear one by one, and they also do that when you exit back to the menu (or there's a "Please wait.." box first). When I launch an app out of a clean boot, and it's taking 17+ seconds to even get to "LOADING", I can't think of a reason why it does that. I wanna say maybe it's still loading the OS into memory first, but I don't think it does that when you launch a game off a disk.

I will say that the system settings app at least loads quickly, which is nice.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 6, 2013

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Gutcruncher posted:

Werent we talking about how Nintendo needs more stores than just the one in Manhattan, and that they have an employee-only one in Redmond? At the Nintendo building in Redmond they also have a small area where you take your Nintendo systems for service or replacement. The room is full of various Nintendo paraphernalia for purchase by anyone.

That room has been gone for a year or two now. I think it was about the time they put up the new corporate building.

Cliff Racer posted:

The Gamecube had pretty fast RAM for its time. A few games took advantage of that, including Metroid Prime which loaded every room on the fly when you shot the room's door to open it. It was an interesting way of hiding loading screens, but you can notice the loading when a door takes a few seconds to open when it's shot.

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 6, 2013

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Dieting Hippo posted:

That room has been gone for a year or two now. I think it was about the time they put up the new corporate building.

Aww. Well it was like 5 years ago that I went there. Do they at least still have somewhere to drop off your broken systems or is that just totally gone?

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Gutcruncher posted:

Aww. Well it was like 5 years ago that I went there. Do they at least still have somewhere to drop off your broken systems or is that just totally gone?

The only way to get your stuff fixed is to call them and ship it now. I miss the room too, there was a bunch of neat gadgets you could get and they even had a few working systems that survived house fires on display. I think the Gulf War Gameboy was there before it was moved to NYC.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dieting Hippo posted:

A few games took advantage of that, including Metroid Prime which loaded every room on the fly when you shot the room's door to open it. It was an interesting way of hiding loading screens, but you can notice the loading when a door takes a few seconds to open when it's shot.

That and they had to lengthen the load times for the PAL version because the US version sometimes bugged the gently caress out and thought stuff was loaded when it wasn't and crashed. Though it was more likely to happen with elevators than doors.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

That and they had to lengthen the load times for the PAL version because the US version sometimes bugged the gently caress out and thought stuff was loaded when it wasn't and crashed. Though it was more likely to happen with elevators than doors.

I keep forgetting that the elevators were obviously loading screens, and they would bug out. I don't think it happened to me when I went through the last time I played, but they did crash for others.

Still, Prime is a wonderful game and I will gladly e-fight anyone who disagrees :colbert:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

That's really weird. I don't wanna derail the Nintendo thread into Apple talk, but for real, take your iPad to a fruit stand. Apple's customer service is neck and neck with Nintendo in awesomeness.

There's also a few Apple-themed threads in Inspect Your Gadgets. Maybe those dudes can help you fix your thing. I would never eschew a tablet browser to use a console browser.

Except say what you will about Console Browsers, the Wii U one is actually pretty darn good, especially nice now that after the last update it doesn't take very long at all to go in and out of it.

It's worth it just for watching youtubs on a TV, as you can watch one while browsing around for another; it's actually better than a desktop (and miles better than iOS or AndroTHE CONTENT OWNER HAS DECIDED YOU ARE NOT COOL ENOUGH TO WATCH THIS VIDEO ON THIS DEVICE)

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Dieting Hippo posted:

Still, Prime is a wonderful game and I will gladly e-fight anyone who disagrees :colbert:

I'm pretty sure the only person who does is Sakamoto.

One game that had absolutely superb loading times was Mario Kart: Double Dash!! on the Gamecube. There was less than a second between choosing a track and it being on-screen with the countdown starting. You'd normally only expect that speed from a cartridge.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Earthbound has been rated in Australia, which is good news with regard to it actually coming out this year. It was rated M for crude humor and sexual references. :australia:

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Quit staring at my hips.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Boten Anna posted:

Except say what you will about Console Browsers, the Wii U one is actually pretty darn good, especially nice now that after the last update it doesn't take very long at all to go in and out of it.

It's worth it just for watching youtubs on a TV, as you can watch one while browsing around for another; it's actually better than a desktop (and miles better than iOS or AndroTHE CONTENT OWNER HAS DECIDED YOU ARE NOT COOL ENOUGH TO WATCH THIS VIDEO ON THIS DEVICE)

I'm gonna keep on using the 360/PS3 for YouTube and Netflix until a patch comes out that lets you turn the GamePad screen off when watching a video.

Someone tell me that's coming in the second big patch.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

I'm gonna keep on using the 360/PS3 for YouTube and Netflix until a patch comes out that lets you turn the GamePad screen off when watching a video.

Have you tried cardboard or a thick piece of cloth? I think Nyko or Mad Catz makes a third party accessory.

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 6, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Of course take this with a grain of salt considering it's Kotaku, but still: http://kotaku.com/rumor-nintendo-wants-to-modify-the-wii-u-to-run-smartp-493098554

Is anyone else getting genuinely worried at this point?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

There is no ", but still" when you link Kotaku, they literally make up poo poo just to generate clicks. I'm not even going to click that and can tell you it's baseless assumptions (hell, they even start it with "rumor"). That aside, "genuinely worried" is not a term I'd use to decribe my feelings re:any console, but the Wii U has enough flaws as it is that we can ignore the ones Kotaku makes up.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I don't really see what there is to worry about. Nintendo wants more poo poo in the eshop, news at 11.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

Maybe so, I never paid attention to handheld stuff. Prior to Wii U though the Gamecube just blew the PS2 out of the water on loading in my experience and the N64, being cartridge based, did the same to the PS1.

The PS1 and PS2 suffered from Sony using the shittiest drives possible. The best thing about soft modding your PS2 and putting a hard drive in it is getting rid of those absurdly long loading times.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

TaurusOxford posted:

Of course take this with a grain of salt considering it's Kotaku, but still: http://kotaku.com/rumor-nintendo-wants-to-modify-the-wii-u-to-run-smartp-493098554

I'm pretty sure this is a misunderstanding, and is actually a mixture of two things:

A. Nintendo recently saying something about how they're planning on supplementing their console with smartphone apps/social functions, like miiverse or facebook sharing of Animal Crossing photos.

and

B. Nintendo revealing the Nintendo Web Framework and the announcement that smartphone apps would be portable with a simple conversion program.

It's not Nintendo wanting to "modify the wii u" (whatever the gently caress that means) to run smartphone apps, as much as Nintendo realizing that people like apps and social functions and looking into ways to utilize them while still maintaining their position as a gaming company.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I agree on Netflix and Amazon you should be able to tap the screen on some icon to turn it off, but for YouTube you want the browser window, it's great, blows other console (and WiiU's own) YouTube apps away.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah, the Nintendo Web api or whatever will be a godsend. The Miiverse mobile site is pretty good, but with an API someone could make a Miiverse browser as good as the Awful App with additional functionality not currently in Miiverse.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

Haha this has to be the most alarmist piece of poo poo article. I didn't see people going "has it really come to this?" when Steam started adding what were phone apps to their library. Only an article from Kotaku could take a company having an easy conversion system and pretty drat friendly policies towards indie and small devs in hope to attract them to thier virtual shop to put their small simple games on it that have churned out millions and millions of dollars as a bad thing :downsbravo:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Never mind that the Vita has basically the same thing. If your app runs on Android it doesn't seem to take much to port it to Vita for the Playstation Certified section or whatever.

Nintendo wants the Wuu to be the destination for small (and large) indie games, NOT doing something like that would be worrisome.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Boten Anna posted:

Never mind that the Vita has basically the same thing. If your app runs on Android it doesn't seem to take much to port it to Vita for the Playstation Certified section or whatever.

Nintendo wants the Wuu to be the destination for small (and large) indie games, NOT doing something like that would be worrisome.

You're thinking of PlayStation Mobile, and yes that's available on Sony smartphones and the Vita.

And considering Unity is coming to Wii U, PS3, PS4, Vita, and PS Mobile this year and has plenty of good games on the mobile market, I really don't see this article as anything to panic about.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

It's not even that surprising, considering Nintendo's new approach with small developers. Plus, Nintendo has acknowledged the real competition from the smartphone game market. All this probably does is give developers who make apps the option of putting it on a the wuu.

At the point people are just looking for reasons to panic about nintendo.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 6, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wonder if there'd be any chance of some ports to WiiU of games that had to be canceled because of size limitations on Wii. Super Meat Boy for example. I already have it on PC, but I'd certainly buy it again if it were 5 or 10 dollars.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Haha this has to be the most alarmist piece of poo poo article. I didn't see people going "has it really come to this?" when Steam started adding what were phone apps to their library.

Clearly you havent checked out the Steam forums or community hubs!

People get pretty upset with the Wrong Kind of Game is released on their platform of choice

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

Oh. For some reason I thought AlmightyBob was talking about an Apple Store. v:shobon:v

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Maboshi's Arcade on Wiiware is the Club Nintendo reward this month... along with Super Mario RPG! A game people actually care about.

Club Nintendo has been on the ball with Mario games these past few months.

I never did the system transfer, so I'm just gonna put this on my Wii U and wait the 4 years it'll take to re-release on VC and upgrade for a buck then.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Finally something to spend points on. This will still work if I've already done a system transfer, right?

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

greatn posted:

Finally something to spend points on. This will still work if I've already done a system transfer, right?

Yeah, but you only get the extra Club Nintendo points if you download it on a Wii

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

Zeeman posted:

Yeah, but you only get the extra Club Nintendo points if you download it on a Wii

Wait is this true? As long as it's linked to your Club Nintendo account, it shouldn't matter right?

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Palmtree Panic posted:

Wait is this true? As long as it's linked to your Club Nintendo account, it shouldn't matter right?

One would think so and yet:

Nintendo posted:

Note: Due to certain system constraints, Club Nintendo accounts cannot be linked to the Wii Shop on the Wii U. Games downloaded through the Wii Shop on the Wii U (in Wii mode) do not qualify for surveys or Coins.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

Just when you think Nintendo couldn't get any worse at "Internet." Is there a list of VC games that are eligble for coins? I downloaded SM64 last month and got nothing, but I've gotten some in past like with Super Smash Bros.

Typing that out I realize I only get VC games through Club Nintendo these days.

Apparently Tank!Tank!Tank is a free download. Is it even worth downloading? Being free makes me weary of it. Is it a gimped version of something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Palmtree Panic posted:

Just when you think Nintendo couldn't get any worse at "Internet." Is there a list of VC games that are eligble for coins? I downloaded SM64 last month and got nothing, but I've gotten some in past like with Super Smash Bros.

Typing that out I realize I only get VC games through Club Nintendo these days.

Apparently Tank!Tank!Tank is a free download. Is it even worth downloading? Being free makes me weary of it. Is it a gimped version of something?

It has parts cut out of the game that require paid DLC to reacquire. You don't need all of it though.

• Locked thread