Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

nuncle jimbo posted:

Alright, good to hear. It's fairly hilly around my house, and I make sure to hit the biggest hill around here (something like a 30ish incline for 500m) 3 times in the 4 mile loop. I use my framed hiking pack, is that close enough for the gear I'd get?

They were using the ILBE when I was there, but they may have gotten the new pack system; guys I know at TBS are using it now. I wouldn't worry about whether or not your pack is exactly the same. The biggest difference is that you'll have your rifle on one shoulder so you won't get to use that arm for anything else, but honestly if you're doing as much rucking as it sounds like, you'll probably be just fine (at least on the hikes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Kaliber posted:

CrossFit is gay. I got that from some douche at a CrossFit™ forum.

When I'm forced to do unit crossfit Wednesday I wear girl shorts and a Pug face shirt. I got my shorts in Thailand at the lady boy section and hike them up as far as they will go when I crossfit in them. The ladies all want me. I even had sailors whistle and do cat calls when I crossfit pass them. They're so gay.

I totally knew that by the way. And those were the shorts I was thinking of when I responded to your post.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Is the 12 week ranger pt program legit or just army bullshit? I'm going to try to extend it into 24 weeks since I'm not super fit yet

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I've had differing reports. One post I was at the dude said it was Mickey Mouse bullshit, but he was a disgustingly fit dude. Here at Benning I'm told it's some hard core poo poo, but by people who are not super, super fit and also love cross fit.

Even if it's just army bullshit though it's probably what you want to do as ranger school is just gonna be more army bullshit but with a different flavor.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
All I do is bodyweight workouts, and thus far I've avoided falling into the crossfit cult. It didn't seem like something that I would do all on its own but like a good kind of starting point to work up with.

Manmower
Feb 22, 2013
I worked with a young guy who said he used to be Army SF and had a potbelly. I'm guessing Ranger training involves a lot of beer drinking? Or else he thought Park Ranger and Army Ranger were the same thing and spent most of his evenings with mountain dew and UV.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Welp, the FDA is working on getting DMAA taken out of the system. You may recognize it as the active ingredient in Jack3d, Cellucor C4, 1MR, MusclePharm Assault and Hydroxycut.

The new Jack3d, as far as I'm aware, does not contain DMAA. Unsurprisingly, its poo poo and does nothing.

Off to try the next PWO craze. :suicide:

brothertim
Mar 6, 2013

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Welp, the FDA is working on getting DMAA taken out of the system. You may recognize it as the active ingredient in Jack3d, Cellucor C4, 1MR, MusclePharm Assault and Hydroxycut.

The new Jack3d, as far as I'm aware, does not contain DMAA. Unsurprisingly, its poo poo and does nothing.

Interesting. I am currently in possession of a container of jack3d that apparently contains DMAA. I think I may work on this whole "muscle fake-out" trick...

My heart has no idea what's about to happen. :ssj:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I don't believe DMAA is in Assault or C4. When Jack3d was taken off of base GNC shelves, those other two were on there. I can't speak for the others.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I think I have half of a tub of the original Jack3d left. Currently selling for $250 OBO.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

psydude posted:

I think I have half of a tub of the original Jack3d left. Currently selling for $250 OBO.

You joke but I bet you could make a profit off half a tub of Jack3d.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

^^^
You could absolutely find some meathead that would pay good money for half a tub of original Jack3d.

holocaust bloopers posted:

I don't believe DMAA is in Assault or C4. When Jack3d was taken off of base GNC shelves, those other two were on there. I can't speak for the others.

They may have changed their recipe before the FDA slapped their wee wee, but it was definitely in their original recipes. Unless the FDA is completely wrong in its listing of mixtures in violation. :shrug:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Whip Slagcheek posted:

^^^
You could absolutely find some meathead that would pay good money for half a tub of original Jack3d.

They may have changed their recipe before the FDA slapped their wee wee, but it was definitely in their original recipes. Unless the FDA is completely wrong in its listing of mixtures in violation. :shrug:

Musclepharm Assault is still being sold and a cursory google search turns up that the product never contained DMAA.

Either way, pre-workouts are great for guaranteeing a poop before weight lifting.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Either way, pre-workouts are great for guaranteeing a poop before weight lifting.

And having to piss inbetween lifts.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

psydude posted:

$100 broski

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

You joke but I bet you could make a profit off half a tub of Jack3d.

They still sell it at GNC.

About to go do deadlifts (or so I'm telling my brain to maximize MUSCLE CONFUSION).

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

All of the products I mentioned in my previous post are still on the market. the manufacturers have just changed their recipes.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
God I hate taking pre-workout.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
I tried that caffeine poo poo(NOS or NO2 whatever the gently caress it was) before doing a MA workout and I thought I was going to die after 2 rounds. I literally felt like just laying down and going to sleep for the rest of the week. I felt like I was fighting the sandman on fire watch. Never again. I just take plain BCAAs before and after my workout now.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Some of my soldiers take that poo poo before running and I get so pissed at them.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I should probably go out and buy a bunch of cases of the most dangerous looking supplement (Dangerous looking packaging anyway), and sell it out of my car when it inevitably gets banned.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Musclepharm Assault is still being sold and a cursory google search turns up that the product never contained DMAA.

I love my Assault, it keeps me regular.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I had an APFT this morning, but the whole time I was envisioning sexual intercourse to confuse my muscles.

Seriously though, was it a bad idea to take naproxen before an APFT? I scored a 277 so it was okay but I'm just wondering if maybe I would have run faster without it or whatever. I suck at running, thus the 277. Maxed situps and pushups, 1520 on the run.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Buddy of mine took a bunch of Hydroxycut before a PFT (this was back in like 2003) and was super stoked that he got a couple extra pullups. Said he felt awesome and took off on the run...then I passed him at about the 1.5 mile mark and laughed as he puked his guts out.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Martello posted:

I had an APFT this morning, but the whole time I was envisioning sexual intercourse to confuse my muscles.

Seriously though, was it a bad idea to take naproxen before an APFT? I scored a 277 so it was okay but I'm just wondering if maybe I would have run faster without it or whatever. I suck at running, thus the 277. Maxed situps and pushups, 1520 on the run.

All that long hair is increasing your drag.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Martello posted:

I've always heard a million different things about the pros and cons of taking whatever. Take Tylenol it'll thin your blood, chug a monster it'll give you energy, caffeine pills, pre workout, NOS etc etc. Most of the time people just puke on the run. Or placebo effect their way to single digit more points.

If it weren't for the run I'd assume whatever helps you in the gym would help on an APFT.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I know taking jack3d was a bad idea the one time I tried that. I crushed situps and pushups but the run was awful, my muscles were super-tight.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I read somewhere (bro science heh) that small amounts of caffeine can increase aerobic exercise capacity, but we're talking like 25-50mg, not the 300+mg that you'll find in a typical dose of preworkout.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
Who loving knows what's good or not pre-APFT, because we've all seen the guy that only puts down his coffee and cigarettes just long enough to crush an easy 300.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

This seems appropriate for this discussion:

Solution, just get really drunk until about 6am, then run a 17 minute 3 mile.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Actually, best I've ever done on runs was in Korea after a night of drinking beer.

Not hungover, jesus christ, but with a semi-solid buzz going on. I figured something about carbohydrates or whatever.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

psydude posted:

All that long hair is increasing your drag.

Heard that one before, still like it. There's another CO in the BDE who has longer hair than me. Only one, though. His hair is so long that he has to part it to keep it from just hanging down to his ears on the one side.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

not caring here posted:

Actually, best I've ever done on runs was in Korea after a night of drinking beer.

Not hungover, jesus christ, but with a semi-solid buzz going on. I figured something about carbohydrates or whatever.

I think it has more to do with being numbed to the normal pain you'd get in your legs, back, or lungs.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Thump! posted:

I think it has more to do with being numbed to the normal pain you'd get in your legs, back, or lungs.

This might explain how my run time improved by like 30 seconds on the APFT I took in March: there was a 15 degree wind chill and I couldn't feel anything below my knees.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Probably the carbohydrates. I think only 14% of individuals prior to an endurance event eat the recommended amount of carbohydrates to successfully meet the demands for their exercise.

That plus the psychological factor of "i'm drunk and this run is gonna be funny lawl" may aid in it too.

Also why the gently caress would you take a pre-work out before running?

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

MurderBot posted:

Also why the gently caress would you take a pre-work out before running?

Because jack3d makes me feel awesome. I'm fat and not a good runner. Would I still benefit from blood doping?

Kick-Puncher
Jan 20, 2006
The new "original" jack3d has DMAA HCL in it. Totally, 100%, no lying different than straight up DMAA. Probably the exact same thing with a tweaked molecule or something but it doesnt seem to work like the old stuff did.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Kick-Puncher posted:

The new "original" jack3d has DMAA HCL in it. Totally, 100%, no lying different than straight up DMAA. Probably the exact same thing with a tweaked molecule or something but it doesnt seem to work like the old stuff did.

Yeah the new poo poo doesn't do anything for me and it comes in an even smaller container. :wtf:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Yeah the new poo poo doesn't do anything for me and it comes in an even smaller container. :wtf:

Can't you just use the coke you confiscate from GW/Georgetown kids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Benched my body weight for the first time ever today :toot:

(shut up bench has always been my weakest lift)