Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

weirdojace posted:

Help this hack "comedy musician" get $1000 to release a CD of songs he recorded with MIDIs in his basement.

Donate now!!!

Ha ha ha ha, this guy's famous for his incompetence and assholery, as you can see from his :nws: Encyclopedia Dramatica page: https://encyclopediadramatica.se/David_Tanny (:nws: because Encyclopedia Dramatica)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

That's not even the half of it. Can't find the chain you like already? Well let me tell you about my friend McMaster-Carr...

http://www.mcmaster.com/#roller-chain/=mlcz1p

I emailed the dude all the links LINKS! ITS BICYCLE CHAIN JEWELRY! and he just dismissed it all as being not up to his caliber. He seriously thinks that industrial chain is going to make spiffy jewelry, and that he came up with it first.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What do you want to bet his nifty piece of random found chain that he thinks is unique simply because he doesn't know where to get more isn't even stainless?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

weirdojace posted:

Help this hack "comedy musician" get $1000 to release a CD of songs he recorded with MIDIs in his basement.

Donate now!!!

His pitch video is him literally rambling. He's a terrible speaker. Also, I think I gathered that he needs kickstarter money because he's out of space to put up the new albums. Out of space on his website.

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

What do you want to bet his nifty piece of random found chain that he thinks is unique simply because he doesn't know where to get more isn't even stainless?

Here's what he said when I sent him all those links to identical products :

quote:

Thanks for sharing, I see they are all nothing at all the same quality, just cheap non-moving castings. Had me worried there for a minute, I wouldn't waste my money on those, the quality of the chain alone is used for micro-precision machines and makes it cost more for the raw material than a cast of something that "looks like" a chain.

You hear that, faggots?

MICRO PRECISION

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Madcosby posted:

His pitch video is him literally rambling. He's a terrible speaker. Also, I think I gathered that he needs kickstarter money because he's out of space to put up the new albums. Out of space on his website.

quote:

The WAV files are about 600 megabytes long, and each track may take up to an hour to upload.

The technology for sub-600-megabyte sound files is at least 20 years away, what can he do? Also, he has a character named "Ahnowd" and I'm really excited at the idea he does a lovely Arnold Schwarzenegger impression.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

KittyLitter posted:

You hear that, faggots?

MICRO PRECISION

Even assuming he's using the posh stainless steel corrosion resistant chain, the fine stuff still only costs about $5 per ring, and obviously any user needs to be able to get a specific length since it's only supplied in set lengths, so removing and refixing the pin can't be that big of a deal. How is he justifying a 12 fold or more markup?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

KittyLitter posted:

You hear that, faggots?

MICRO PRECISION

Did you show him the mcmaster-carr link? Because that one, imho, is the clincher. :v:

Fatkraken posted:

Even assuming he's using the posh stainless steel corrosion resistant chain, the fine stuff still only costs about $5 per ring, and obviously any user needs to be able to get a specific length since it's only supplied in set lengths, so removing and refixing the pin can't be that big of a deal. How is he justifying a 12 fold or more markup?

Because he's clueless? Or wants a free lunch, I suppose that's just as likely.

Dr.Mrs.The Monarch
Aug 8, 2005

Obamunist Troll Bot: Built to bring a One World Government to the People
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/211760777/give-me-the-america-of-the-past?ref=home_location

End the Obama dictatorship with T-shirt, WHILE YOU STILL CAN

Dr.Mrs.The Monarch
Aug 8, 2005

Obamunist Troll Bot: Built to bring a One World Government to the People
Damnit double post

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

I love how you have to see the back to get the full message. Otherwise it's "Give me the America"

You can't handle the America!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am surprised the Risks & Challenges section doesn't mention Comrade Obama trying to stop the kickstarter..

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

weirdojace posted:

Donate now!!!

This pitch audio sounds like he was forced to do it in one take and spent zero time thinking about what he would say.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BoutrosBoutros posted:

That is not the same thing as tampering and you know it. USPS isn't allowed to lose your poo poo because you put weird tape on it.

The problem with their whole "experiment" is that they have no idea why the packages didn't get to where they mailed them.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

AxeManiac posted:

This pitch audio sounds like he was forced to do it in one take and spent zero time thinking about what he would say.
That pitch "video" is fantastic evidence that actually no, Asperger's Syndrome does not in fact make you some kind of misunderstood super-genius.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

The problem with their whole "experiment" is that they have no idea why the packages didn't get to where they mailed them.

No, that's not really the problem at all. The aim of the experiment was to find out if their packages were getting lost more often than others. You can certainly argue that their control group wasn't that great, it would have been much better if the controls had tape that said something more innocuous than "ATHEIST" rather than no tape at all.

But the point still stands, the whole purpose was to properly demonstrate that their packages were being lost more than they should have been. You don't answer the question why until after you can demonstrate that something is actually happening in the first place.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
They know that tape with Atheist shows up later/less often than tape with nothing, but there are so many uncontrolled variables that that's practically meaningless. It doesn't show discrimination against them specifically at all. The terrible control groups don't just make it a bad experiment, they make it a worthless one.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Here's AR-K, a serious adventure game with rich 3D animation.

Wait no it's like Spanish Tommy Wiseau making a game about bomb-rear end titties, and the 3D animation is rich by the standards of 1997.

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"

Count Uvula posted:

Here's AR-K, a serious adventure game with rich 3D animation.

Wait no it's like Spanish Tommy Wiseau making a game about bomb-rear end titties, and the 3D animation is rich by the standards of 1997.

Bomb rear end titties with rudimentary jiggling attached to women with very small fork-like hands.

The concept art on their kickstarter is so much better than their shoddy 3D work that it's severely disappointing. I do have to admit though that their USB floppy disc is a really neat idea. I'd love to get a collection of Sierra games packaged like that.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

AxeManiac posted:

Oh man this guy lives about ten minutes down the road from me and is always trying to get on local radio stations with his "dementia" music (basically novelty 'comedy' songs).

The problem is his music sounds just like his talking in that pitch video. They're all literally him semi-talking over the beat of a midi file. He's been at this for, I think, 30 years. It'd be sad if he weren't also the creepiest motherfucker alive.

Here's an example of what the holy poo poo is wrong with you with the following lyrics:

Tanny posted:

Mila Kunis, Mila honey - do you like songs that are funny?
Watching Star Trek, Play Atari
But you have to share my house with my old mommy.

You can't listen to the whole thing and be the same person at the end, be forewarned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuGl43e_jwU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Modern Day Hercules posted:

No, that's not really the problem at all. The aim of the experiment was to find out if their packages were getting lost more often than others. You can certainly argue that their control group wasn't that great, it would have been much better if the controls had tape that said something more innocuous than "ATHEIST" rather than no tape at all.

But the point still stands, the whole purpose was to properly demonstrate that their packages were being lost more than they should have been. You don't answer the question why until after you can demonstrate that something is actually happening in the first place.

They didn't demonstrate it actually happening though, they didn't even show any kind of proof. We were never given any info on how many got lost before or after their "experiment" and we weren't given proof of failures of shipment. They could have, for example, posted up a big list of tracking numbers, and then anyone could see whether or not each individual thing arrived (and it wouldn't reveal the address of the person meant to receive it, nor the address they sent from).

They just posted "oh no we totally lost more of them with the tape on" and expected everyone to believe them at face value. In some cases they even just complained that "they took longer to be delivered" which is exactly what you expect with international package mailing arriving to the US, since all sorts of things can upset the automated sorting equipment and shuffle off a package to be manually sorted before going on to the next step.

Nintendo Kid has a new favorite as of 16:34 on May 6, 2013

WendyO
Dec 2, 2007
So was this taping thing done for a sociological study, instead of a little 'what if' side project by some shoemakers?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

WendyO posted:

So was this taping thing done for a sociological study, instead of a little 'what if' side project by some shoemakers?
No, it was done by a bunch of passive-aggressive, super-smug eternal victims looking for a way to further cement their status as an oppressed minority.

E: and also by the kind of people who will loudly (on the Internet) proclaim their demands for evidence and scientific rigor, and then not actually demand either of themselves.

sub supau has a new favorite as of 20:12 on May 6, 2013

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
It was done by the kind of person who would wear shoes that say "I'm an atheist" on the sole, AKA weirdos who care WAY too much about everyone knowing they're an atheist.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

No, you guys don't understand! We were paying HOMAGE to the Pokemon TCG by deliberately ripping it off in some kind of parody. It just failed because YOU GUYS didn't get it!

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Oh, wow, they really put a lot of effort into ripping off Pokemon instead of making their own system that might have actually sold.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

MemeTCG posted:

We are trying to salvage the project by explaining to people it was meant to be a blatant rip off but in a way that we would not get sued.

Well poo poo, I'm convinced.

Edit: The more I think about it, the more insane it feels that this is a thing that he posted.

tlarn has a new favorite as of 23:31 on May 6, 2013

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

No, it was done by a bunch of passive-aggressive, super-smug eternal victims looking for a way to further cement their status as an oppressed minority.

E: and also by the kind of people who will loudly (on the Internet) proclaim their demands for evidence and scientific rigor, and then not actually demand either of themselves.

And, a pessimist might suppose, done by the kind of people who would likely see an increase in sales caused by such a claim.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Hey guys do you want a sequel to the Nintendo horror video game Eternal Darkness? Well you're in luck because the original developer is trying to make a spiritual successor. They may have already fleeced a major publisher to help fund the gameplay video for it and also lost millions in a frivolous lawsuit they started last year, but don't worry guys they totally want to make a great game and not just steal your money. That's why they completely bypassed Kickstarter and Indiegogo and made the crowdfunding campaign on their own site, because they want to interact with you the gamer directly.

http://www.precursorgames.com/shadowoftheeternals/

Also please ignore their Terms of Use page, its all legal mumbo jumbo that hardcore gamers such as yourselves shouldn't bother yourselves with.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

It's really sad how scammy that whole thing feels because Eternal Darkness 2 would be a cool thing.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Even if their reputation wasn't in the dumps asking for over a million dollars is way too much.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I'm so sick and tired of seeing lovely kickstarters that it's good to see a developer cut out the middleman and put a crowdfunder on their own page :haw:

I imagine it's the same developers of Eternal Darkness in the same way the White House of today is the White House of 1972

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm so sick and tired of seeing lovely kickstarters that it's good to see a developer cut out the middleman and put a crowdfunder on their own page :haw:

I imagine it's the same developers of Eternal Darkness in the same way the White House of today is the White House of 1972

Uhhh... I'd hate to break it to you... but the White House of today *is* the same White House of 1972.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Accordion Man posted:

Hey guys do you want a sequel to the Nintendo horror video game Eternal Darkness? Well you're in luck because the original developer is trying to make a spiritual successor. They may have already fleeced a major publisher to help fund the gameplay video for it and also lost millions in a frivolous lawsuit they started last year, but don't worry guys they totally want to make a great game and not just steal your money. That's why they completely bypassed Kickstarter and Indiegogo and made the crowdfunding campaign on their own site, because they want to interact with you the gamer directly.

Also please ignore their Terms of Use page, its all legal mumbo jumbo that hardcore gamers such as yourselves shouldn't bother yourselves with.

You forgot the part where they we re court ordered to destroy remaining inventory and IP related to Too Human after the lawsuit because of copyright infringement.

Although this isn't SK making it, that company is dead. I'm not entirely sure of the relationship that Precursor has with SK other than Dyack.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

KittyLitter posted:

Uhhh... I'd hate to break it to you... but the White House of today *is* the same White House of 1972.

Really? Same president, same chief of staff, same people cleaning the bathrooms?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alan Smithee posted:

Really? Same president, same chief of staff, same people cleaning the bathrooms?

Those lizardpeople wouldn't wear the same disguises every term, they mix it up every year.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

Eternal darkness wasn't even that great of a game. If it hadn't been for the Sanity meter and the little things than it would have just been another generic gamecube title that few would remember. Of course, we won't actually get a proper sequel because the sanity meter was patented by Nintendo and I don't see them willingly handing out licensing to use that to just anyone. Two of the three characters shown off even look exactly like the original game's protagonists.

To be honest, I would pay $40 for a proper sequel that fixed a lot of the original's problems even if it had gamecube graphics and got rid of the stupid "play this game with tedious combat 3 times to get the real ending!" stuff. As it is, they're asking for 1 million for a sequel they probably don't have rights to do AND making it episodic.

edit- although this ending last year, icepick lodge should have something good out in a few months concerning games with sanity meters http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1535515364/knock-knock

Horrible Smutbeast has a new favorite as of 15:32 on May 7, 2013

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Accordion Man posted:

That's why they completely bypassed Kickstarter and Indiegogo and made the crowdfunding campaign on their own site, because they want to interact with you the gamer directly.

I wouldn't be against this in principle; over $100,000 being sucked out of your funds in Kickstarter fees is nothing to sneeze at, and as a donor that's money that could be spent towards whatever it is I'm pledging to. In practice, however, the only people who do it are shady as gently caress ("Black Isle" wanting you to pay them to make a tech demo, for instance).

I found this one through Snopes: Pay us to make some bullshit urban myth that you'll be getting e-mail forwards about for years to come!

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

Same motherfuckers.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toffile posted:

You forgot the part where they we re court ordered to destroy remaining inventory and IP related to Too Human after the lawsuit because of copyright infringement.

Although this isn't SK making it, that company is dead. I'm not entirely sure of the relationship that Precursor has with SK other than Dyack.

I'd feel more confident if Dyack wasn't involved.

Edit: Oh gently caress me

Pomp has a new favorite as of 22:59 on May 7, 2013