Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Rei_ posted:

I just get frustrated over people who constantly jockey for 'Grimdark' appeal in shows, like everything has to be Warhammer. AOT is about struggle, and it's about the will to survive, and just because it's told incredibly well doesn't mean it's still not a manga.

If someone takes warhammer seriously, you can safely ignore everything they will ever say for the rest of their natural lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Devil Tesla posted:

That's next episode according to the preview. And guess what? They are still going to hate her! "What kind of child can kill a dude like that so unrealistic" or something.

I wonder what they're going to think about 1st grader Eren going on his killing spree and then using his Shonen demagogue powers to get Mikasa to kill some bitches.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

coreycoryecorey posted:

Yea. It kind of the same deal we had with Madoka. How people would gush over how it was a "deconstruction of the whole magical girl and anime genre" it was. Don't get me wrong I liked Madoka and it was a good show, but it was by no means the most forward-thinking and genre breaking anime of all time. I wish people would realize that killing off the main character in the middle of his or her Journey is not conducive to good story telling. Sure it would be edgy and make people go WHOA, but it is kind of hard to pick up the pieces be able to frame the rest of the story after that.

I think it's a fine line to tread: you can buck the trends and tropes but they exist for a reason, and going too far in subverting them can damage a story irreparably if done poorly. AoT does a good job treading this line: We have a shounen protagonist for sure, but he is heavily flawed. His first mission is a loving disaster and he gets almost everyone killed, and subsequent missions don't go much better. Additionally, the setting itself creates a threat to convention. We've seen a lot of characters spout off big or think they'll survive and just get absolutely obliterated seconds later without remorse; that sort of pressure frames the readers view on the rest of the story. Eren is the protagonist and thus the reader wants to believe he'll survive or they wouldn't invest themselves in his character development, but I also don't think it'd be impossible for him to die, just unlikely.

My only concern for anime viewers is that we (manga readers) made a point of emphasizing that this series likes to gently caress with expectations and trample tropes and some viewers may take that as a statement that the series never follows convention, instead of sometimes following along and sometimes going outside the norm when it serves the story to do so. Hopefully any such disappointment will be remedied by realizing that always bucking trends is as cliche as always following them, and that Titan Eren punching a titan so hard it blows his hand off and sends the top of it's skull flying away is :black101: as all hell.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Mo_Steel posted:

I think it's a fine line to tread: you can buck the trends and tropes but they exist for a reason, and going too far in subverting them can damage a story irreparably if done poorly. AoT does a good job treading this line: We have a shounen protagonist for sure, but he is heavily flawed. His first mission is a loving disaster and he gets almost everyone killed, and subsequent missions don't go much better. Additionally, the setting itself creates a threat to convention. We've seen a lot of characters spout off big or think they'll survive and just get absolutely obliterated seconds later without remorse; that sort of pressure frames the readers view on the rest of the story. Eren is the protagonist and thus the reader wants to believe he'll survive or they wouldn't invest themselves in his character development, but I also don't think it'd be impossible for him to die, just unlikely.

My only concern for anime viewers is that we (manga readers) made a point of emphasizing that this series likes to gently caress with expectations and trample tropes and some viewers may take that as a statement that the series never follows convention, instead of sometimes following along and sometimes going outside the norm when it serves the story to do so. Hopefully any such disappointment will be remedied by realizing that always bucking trends is as cliche as always following them, and that Titan Eren punching a titan so hard it blows his hand off and sends the top of it's skull flying away is :black101: as all hell.

I wish there was some way we could tell them that without accidentally spoiling things. Even just a simple "hey guys, this series does like to gently caress with expectations, but it still does follow expectations at time as well" would probably be helpful.

Though if any of us said that now, they would probably figure out that Eren isn't actually dead.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Mo_Steel posted:

Hopefully any such disappointment will be remedied by realizing that always bucking trends is as cliche as always following them, and that Titan Eren punching a titan so hard it blows his hand off and sends the top of it's skull flying away is :black101: as all hell.

That actually makes me wonder how they're going to handle the titan gore. I mean the anime has been kind of edging around showing too much, but it's going to be harder once the script calls for people to be dodging giant severed heads. Guess we'll see next week.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Thanks for that post Mo_Steel. I wasn't trying to say that no writer should ever try to subvert the reader's or viewers expectations, SnK has done a wonderful job of that so far, I just think that the people who will become disappointed with this story are silly because it isn't going to be 100% grimdark and genre breaking.

I remember when reading that manga and Eren died I was really concerned on where the story would go from there. He had the most character development at that moment. I was relieved when it turned out he wasn't dead, and the story has only gotten better since!

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
It is really baffling that the anime thread hates Mikasa so much. I don't think I've ever been more tempted to post completely made up spoilers just to ruin their day when they see what actually happens.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

7c Nickel posted:

That actually makes me wonder how they're going to handle the titan gore. I mean the anime has been kind of edging around showing too much, but it's going to be harder once the script calls for people to be dodging giant severed heads. Guess we'll see next week.

Titans shouldn't be as much of an issue since they aren't humans and don't bleed all over the place.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I hope they change up the order a bit and show part of when Eren is in the stomach right away next episode, that scene is grisly as gently caress and would be horrifying if you didn't know what was coming next:

:shepface:

Have him crying and sinking while he rants and rambles incoherently about how he's gonna kill them all, then cut away to Mikasa or Armin.

musouka
Apr 24, 2009
I don't think the flashback will do much to make people like Mikasa. I do think seeing how she actually reacts to the possibility of Eren's death will win her a lot more supporters.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009
Bringing this over here because of manga spoilers.

Over in the anime thread they're talking about the implications of having all the best soldiers guarding the inner district. Another reason they might be doing that is because the Church knows about the titans in the walls, and the soldiers in the inner area are meant to be the last line of defense against those titans if they suddenly wake up.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

of bees posted:

Another reason they might be doing that is because the Church knows about the titans in the walls, and the soldiers in the inner area are meant to be the last line of defense against those titans if they suddenly wake up.

This implies a level of compitance that the inner circle has never seemed capable to exhibit.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Agh, this scene. I am both dreading and looking forward to this one in the anime because nothing has unnerved me as much as this has.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

onepixeljumpman posted:

Agh, this scene. I am both dreading and looking forward to this one in the anime because nothing has unnerved me as much as this has.

This got me too. Getting eaten whole and alive.....now there is a terrifying nightmare.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mo_Steel posted:

I hope they change up the order a bit and show part of when Eren is in the stomach right away next episode, that scene is grisly as gently caress and would be horrifying if you didn't know what was coming next:

Have him crying and sinking while he rants and rambles incoherently about how he's gonna kill them all, then cut away to Mikasa or Armin.

This would be pretty good if they made the scene end with a strong implication that Eren was actually, seriously, for realzies dead. It's going to be the only way to convince some of those people in the anime thread. And then make their reaction to his becoming a Titan even funnier.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

This got me too. Getting eaten whole and alive.....now there is a terrifying nightmare.

He wasn't eaten whole, though.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

onepixeljumpman posted:

If it's any consolation it's totally dark in there and Eren probably can't see a thing.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

of bees posted:

Bringing this over here because of manga spoilers.

Over in the anime thread they're talking about the implications of having all the best soldiers guarding the inner district. Another reason they might be doing that is because the Church knows about the titans in the walls, and the soldiers in the inner area are meant to be the last line of defense against those titans if they suddenly wake up.
I don't know if this was already discussed in this thread, but here's some speculation:

If Titans reproduce by eating humans, it'd also make sense that in order to reinforce their power over those living inside the wall that they'd have periodic cannon-fodder expeditions. At first with the scouting legion; later, to alleviate overpopulation from the now-unsustainably-large number of people in the inner walls. Make it so that despite titans gradually dying out, there's a steady stream of people to keep them going.

If what Bertholdt said about Reiner being a soldier before is true, and the other human titans were also trained to be soldiers, then perhaps they're some sort of rebels who are trying to disrupt/infiltrate the inner walls because it's actually the central government which is propagating mass-murder-by-titans and preventing humanity from freeing itself from the walls, to secure its power.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I don't know if this was already discussed in this thread, but here's some speculation:

I'm not convinced of reproduction via eating being a thing. It's made clear early on that they know what happens to people who get eaten, and turning into Titans isn't the answer.

I suppose you could make the argument that they are wrong, but one of the districts spent several days cover in regurgitated corpses. You'd think someone would notice something strange.

The presence of the hairy Titan and what happened to Connies village really clash with this theory too.

However Titans are made, it's a process that invokes very little bloodshed, and can happen very fast.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Giggily posted:

He wasn't eaten whole, though.

Er, aside from an arm and a leg, yes he was?

Thoren
May 28, 2008

AndroidHub posted:

It is really baffling that the anime thread hates Mikasa so much. I don't think I've ever been more tempted to post completely made up spoilers just to ruin their day when they see what actually happens.

Weird. I used to love Mikasa. I kind of grew to dislike her character a bit after she was so manipulative and angsty about Eren and Annie. Team Annie for life :c00lbert:

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

AndroidHub posted:

How do you figure this? People are just saying that as far as she's been portrayed in the anime, her apparent flaws have not yet demonstrated a cost to her or caused any conflict. Do you not understand that people in the anime thread have only seen the anime?

edit: I did pick up on her being isolated and dependent on Eren, which would indeed be an awful burden, but there was so little exposure to her emotions or way of thinking because we were fixed on Eren's point of view. It's hard to tell whether she is content with excelling in studies, training, etc., while shadowing Eren or if she does not think that way. Next episode is a flashback to her backstory, I think, so I think you can hold your judgments of the anime-only cretins until then.

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 6, 2013

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
There isn't any evidence for titans reproducing via eating humans. For that matter, the only evidence of titans being produced in any way is via transformation. Either there is another, completely unexplained process by which titans are created (which is entirely possible), or it all comes down to transformation somehow.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 6, 2013

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

RatHat posted:

Er, aside from an arm and a leg, yes he was?

That's the joke.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mo_Steel posted:

Don't know why I never noticed Eren wasn't alone inside the stomach. Just always thought the other bodies were dead dudes, not people still being digested. Hope Rage Titan didn't stomp that dude dead when he punched his way out of Santa Titan.

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡
Some reason immediately thought this upon seeing this image

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I guess it's quite a ways off, but I'm wondering what they are going to do for the voices of the titans that can talk- Ymir, squatchtitan, and I think Annie say at least a couple of things during her "incidents", then there's that one that talks to the short-lived scout lady right after the Trost arc ends. I am also a bit curious if we've seen the last of the members of the 104th who can turn into titans, or if it gonna turn out that Mikasa was the only one in the top ten who wasn't actually a titan. In any case I don't think it's too far-fetched to consider that Conny might be a titan, given the state they found his village in.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

AndroidHub posted:

I guess it's quite a ways off, but I'm wondering what they are going to do for the voices of the titans that can talk- Ymir, squatchtitan, and I think Annie say at least a couple of things during her "incidents", then there's that one that talks to the short-lived scout lady right after the Trost arc ends.

When I think of the Hairy Titan's voice, I keep going to Norio Wakamoto or some similarly deep voice.

I think they might go for an altered voice, where it sounds JUST below the range of a human to sound unnerving. I always pictured the first non-Hairy that spoke to sound like PE2's Chasers.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Zeikier posted:

When I think of the Hairy Titan's voice, I keep going to Norio Wakamoto or some similarly deep voice.

I think they might go for an altered voice, where it sounds JUST below the range of a human to sound unnerving. I always pictured the first non-Hairy that spoke to sound like PE2's Chasers.

Wakamoto is too much of a ham. Nakata Jouji, or Tachiki Fumihiko, or Mugihito could do a better job, I think.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thoren in the anime thread asks a question that the manga readers would like to find out as well.

Thoren posted:

I've always wondered who would win in a hand to hand fight: Mikasa or Annie?

I wonder if we'll ever know the outcome of the duel that Eren flashbacked to at the start of Chapter 44.

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

Surec posted:

Some reason immediately thought this upon seeing this image

If the anime were to rewrite this scene to include the Catatafish et al., I would think it an improvement.

Seriously, though, the anime is killing it so far. Right now the pacing feels on track to end the season around Annie's capture, with a little wiggle room, so I'm hoping they don't go the anime original ending route. I'm really looking forward to seeing the forest battle in animated form.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

If Titans reproduce by eating humans, it'd also make sense that in order to reinforce their power over those living inside the wall that they'd have periodic cannon-fodder expeditions. At first with the scouting legion; later, to alleviate overpopulation from the now-unsustainably-large number of people in the inner walls. Make it so that despite titans gradually dying out, there's a steady stream of people to keep them going.

If what Bertholdt said about Reiner being a soldier before is true, and the other human titans were also trained to be soldiers, then perhaps they're some sort of rebels who are trying to disrupt/infiltrate the inner walls because it's actually the central government which is propagating mass-murder-by-titans and preventing humanity from freeing itself from the walls, to secure its power.

Which would mean the right 'action' would have been to continue to survive within walls and expand slowly and safely (not sure where they'd get new walls though, maybe they just keep killing the smaller incoming Titans at a rate enough to decrease overall Titan pop) but the regular Recon Corps' forays actually spurred a reaction from another Titan force? ... Thus, people with Eren's convictions and the Recon Corps are assholes who ruined it for everyone else? Actually, that'd sort of be hilarious. Grim but hilarious.

Inevitable though, I think. If nothing else, it's also a pressure valve on the society since if they had been prevented from going out, those rebellious, inquisitive thinkers would be agitating within walls against the upper society folks.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
One problem I foresee with the anime is the scene where Reiner carried Armin while regenerating. It wasn't obvious in the manga, but I don't see how it could be anything else animated.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

One problem I foresee with the anime is the scene where Reiner carried Armin while regenerating. It wasn't obvious in the manga, but I don't see how it could be anything else animated.
This?
http://www.batoto.net/read/_/21418/shingeki-no-kyojin_v6_ch23_by_tdx/42

Are you sure that's not just Annie's titan blood and gore evaporating?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Serious Frolicking posted:

As Eiba points out, unless you are already aware that Reiner is a titan, you will most likely attribute the steam coming off his back as Annie-Titan's evaporating blood and gore.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
He didn't appear to have any noticeable injuries after escaping Annie's hand anyway, even before he would've regenerated. The splash of blood from Annie's hand was probably Reiner making the message.

ShadeIncarnate
Dec 18, 2001
I couldn't think of anything original.
I've recently went back and started reading earlier chapters looking for things that didn't make sense on the first read through, or seemed to be hidden clues on the events to come. One page that struck me as odd is the scene where Eren's mother is eaten by the titan. This may be another of those scenes meant to make us think one thing is happening, yet it's really something totally different happening.

In this scene, right before the mother is eaten she seems to have a change of heart, saying "Don't leave me" as she covers up her mouth. However, what if it's not the mother saying "Don't leave me" but it's actually the titan about to eat her talking. It would explain why she suddenly goes wide-eyed in surprise, and then covers her mouth in shock. This would also lend some credibility to the idea that the titan eating her is Armin as well. In the earlier pages of Chapter 2, there is a scene where his right hand is shaking and it's brought up to his mouth while Eren and Mikasa run away from him. So maybe he changes and loses control, with the desire for his friends not to abandon him as his "goal" when changing.

I know in the anime it has the mother saying the line, "Don't go" but it wouldn't be the first time an anime adaption ended up being different from it's manga counterpart.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Thaaaat... really makes no sense. It's just a scene meant to illustrate the fear of dying alone.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

And there we go. We've got it. The dumbest theory presented with a straight face.

I'm sure that post will be the benchmark against which other ridiculous theories will be measured, like nanomachines in the One Piece thread.

"That's getting dangerously close to 'Armin ate Eren's mom' territory," we'll say to each other when someone forwards an idea that lacks an iota of plausibility.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Eiba posted:

And there we go. We've got it. The dumbest theory presented with a straight face.

I'm sure that post will be the benchmark against which other ridiculous theories will be measured, like nanomachines in the One Piece thread.

"That's getting dangerously close to 'Armin ate Eren's mom' territory," we'll say to each other when someone forwards an idea that lacks an iota of plausibility.

Hahahaha I was reading his post and planning on saying "man that is a real Devil Fruits Are Nanomachines or Blackbeard's Fetus theory, that is".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
So uh, anyway.

I was just rereading the first two chapters and, apologies if the answer was given later, but what's the significance of the two numbers that flash up out of nowhere? In chapter one I think it's 845, and in chapter two it's 850.

It's late so I'm not going to read anymore, but I don't think I remember seeing those numbers again. It's all very Spawn-esque.