Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

SlightlyMadman posted:

I'm having way too much fun with this voronoi generator:

I've tweaked things a bunch, and added a post-relaxation pass that collapses rendundant nodes (any node surrounded entirely by nodes of the same height). That leaves the terrain edges intact but removes huge swaths of the same tiles, and I think looks much more organic. The plan is eventually to use this for a Risk-like game.

edit: Bridges!

Really curious to see the source for this. Voronoi has always intrigued me but I never seem to have time to sit down and learn them via a half assed tutorial with code with no comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

This seems like a pretty good starting point for that sort of map gen.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Tolan posted:

This seems like a pretty good starting point for that sort of map gen.

I have that bookmarked already. His whole site is a really good read. Never hurts to see another example though.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Yep, that was linked somewhere here and was my initial inspiration. I didn't end up using much from it except the basic idea though. Most of the above code is based on this great library:
https://github.com/gorhill/Javascript-Voronoi

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

parkov posted:

Thanks! When I saw the amount of traffic coming from Neatorama, I just about had a heart attack.
And now on HN: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5624295

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!
This isn't a screenshot, but I'm working on a little level editor for a game I'm working on and I've started uploading short videos of my progress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNEdipE6nAs

It's pretty simple so far, I got auto-tiles working for the grass tiles, flood fill, and I can save and load maps. I'm having a lot of fun working on it. At some point I will have to make a start on some actual gameplay!

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Got Players and board set-up working last night. The game is almost ready to start playing!

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

SlightlyMadman posted:

Got Players and board set-up working last night. The game is almost ready to start playing!

You may be passed the voronoi point, but in case you are still tooling around: d3.js is an excellent visualization toolkit, and they have voronoi tesselation as one of their default things. d3.js and an example. Also, d3.js is just fun as hell to use.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Got the first bit of Hot Tin Roof environment art today. I'm pretty dang excited to see how it looks in-game:

(ignore the iffy lighting / weirdly off-center globe, he threw that in as a quick test of the mesh in a locally lit environment)

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Luminous posted:

You may be passed the voronoi point, but in case you are still tooling around: d3.js is an excellent visualization toolkit, and they have voronoi tesselation as one of their default things. d3.js and an example. Also, d3.js is just fun as hell to use.

Interesting, if I wasn't already pretty much done with the rendering code I'd look into that, but I'm pretty happy with what I've got. I'm using a library I linked above to build the diagram, which is based on the exact same algorithm as d3's, so it probably wouldn't be much different. It's nice that d3 does the rendering for you, but I'm doing a lot of custom stuff there anyways, and d3 seems to be built around SVG whereas I'm doing canvas drawing. I'm definitely going to hold onto that link to look into in the future though. I actually do a lot of data visualization in my day job and it would probably come in handy for some of that.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

SlightlyMadman posted:

Interesting, if I wasn't already pretty much done with the rendering code I'd look into that, but I'm pretty happy with what I've got. I'm using a library I linked above to build the diagram, which is based on the exact same algorithm as d3's, so it probably wouldn't be much different. It's nice that d3 does the rendering for you, but I'm doing a lot of custom stuff there anyways, and d3 seems to be built around SVG whereas I'm doing canvas drawing. I'm definitely going to hold onto that link to look into in the future though. I actually do a lot of data visualization in my day job and it would probably come in handy for some of that.

d3 does the layout in a fashion. You're more dealing with the "how" to display it visually. Which brings the point of svg vs canvas. d3 actually just operates on DOM. You can use whatever you want.

Ya, my day job tends to revolve around visualization as well, and coming from java (prefuse ugh) and .net libraries into d3.js was an eye opening moment of just how over the top and burdensome other libraries are. I seriously have fun using d3.js just because of how to the point and powerful it is.

Luminous fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 2, 2013

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

I finally figured out the order of matrix transforms to implement separate object, world, and camera spaces. I have implemented a simple camera that can rotate and pan on any arbitrary axis too. I've wanted to understand the matrix transforms for 3D graphics for a while now and I'm pretty proud that I've finally managed to get it. I chose python because there is less overhead for the code.

edit: I managed to figure out back-face culling too, but it is turned off in the screenshot.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Internet Janitor posted:

To get out of a rut I've been in recently I whipped up a Chip8 emulator this afternoon.

source (Forth)

It's a fun and strange little architecture- I may take a crack at writing an original game or two for it.

After reading this post I was motivated to make a Chip8 emulator in C++:

(notice the ghetto debugging and the unchanged window title from a SFML tutorial)

Thanks for the inspiration :)

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Cross posting from all those other places I cross post from just to say I built a loving pixel shader in QBASIC

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I don't know whether to slap you on the face or shake your hand.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I don't know whether to slap you on the face or shake your hand.
You've got two hands don't you?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Screenshot Saturday!

My latest development blog update is an explanation of how I solved a design problem about sharing data between screens. And for people who don't care about that crap, it's about adding player health (hearts on the HUD) and fighting ghosts with hats.

The video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMUq5JdiC-g&hd=1

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Some really impressive stuff on this page!

Woodsy Owl posted:

I finally figured out the order of matrix transforms to implement separate object, world, and camera spaces. I have implemented a simple camera that can rotate and pan on any arbitrary axis too. I've wanted to understand the matrix transforms for 3D graphics for a while now and I'm pretty proud that I've finally managed to get it. I chose python because there is less overhead for the code.

edit: I managed to figure out back-face culling too, but it is turned off in the screenshot.

3D graphics are really fun to play with, good luck! I just finished the ray tracer for the online course a few days ago. It basically just does the minimum requirements: triangle and sphere intersections and arbitrary transformations thereof, Lambert and Phong shading, shadows and reflections:

I also added the GUI and partial-screen updates for instant feedback and rolled my own multi threading instead of using OpenMp, this time it actually it almost quartered the time instead of increasing it :D. I really need to implement octrees or something to speed up the ray-object intersection testing, and then I could finally focus on rendering the drat teapot.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Woodsy Owl posted:

Embarrassingly, I still don't understand this. Were there any resources that helped you with the 3D transformation math?

Foiltha
Jun 12, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

... rolled my own multi threading instead of using OpenMp, this time it actually it almost quartered the time instead of increasing it :D ...

I'm sort of curious what went wrong here. I think for my old ray tracer I just added a single #pragma omp parallel for and my rendering time got quartered.

Anyhow, if you're looking to add a neat little feature to your ray tracer before tackling tree structures, I'd recommend adding supersampling to reduce jaggies. Basically you just create multiple rays for each pixel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supersampling. It's really simple to implement and makes the renders look a lot neater!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Suspicious Dish posted:

Embarrassingly, I still don't understand this. Were there any resources that helped you with the 3D transformation math?

Have a look at this edX course, which is what got me from next to zero linear algebra and totally zero 3d math to that ray tracer in a few weeks. It just concluded earlier this week, but you can still watch all the videos, in particular the introduction lectures cover all the math you'll need, which isn't that much, really.

Foiltha posted:

I'm sort of curious what went wrong here. I think for my old ray tracer I just added a single #pragma omp parallel for and my rendering time got quartered.

Anyhow, if you're looking to add a neat little feature to your ray tracer before tackling tree structures, I'd recommend adding supersampling to reduce jaggies. Basically you just create multiple rays for each pixel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supersampling. It's really simple to implement and makes the renders look a lot neater!

I just wasn't being very clear/specific there. Enabling OpenMp didn't just didn't play well with my sampler and resulted in weird results. I got scared because I couldn't really see what it was actually doing, and rolled my own. The decreased performance happened in another project of mine where I was doing some Monte Carlo calculations, but I can't blame OpenMp for that as that was also my own half-assed solution :).

So now I start a bunch of threads and have them pick up rendering tasks. When they finish, they submit the results to my film class, and repeat. At the very least, it seems to replicate the observable behavior of some real raytracers, if not the outcomes. I'm sure this could be replicated with OpenMp as well, but at least I learned a bit more about concurrency.

And thanks for the supersampling recommendation, adding that seems like a good idea before I start messing with trees, which look like serious business.

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

So now I start a bunch of threads and have them pick up rendering tasks. When they finish, they submit the results to my film class, and repeat.

This is what I ended up doing with my ray tracer. The limiting factor with multi-threaded ray tracers is contention for the frame buffer I've found. With bidirectional path tracing, any thread can write to any pixel, so you start needing sample sorting jobs, kernel sampling jobs, and tiled frame buffers. Much is made of the parallel nature of ray tracing, but once you start doing anything more complicated than forward tracing, you run into all the same threading issues that other, less parallel friendly algorithms do.

Speaking of ray tracers, I haven't posted anything from mine in a while:

A day and night render of an industrial space that were part of an architectural vis project that got canned half way through. There was originally going to be a backplate, which is why the sky is black.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

steckles posted:

This is what I ended up doing with my ray tracer. The limiting factor with multi-threaded ray tracers is contention for the frame buffer I've found. With bidirectional path tracing, any thread can write to any pixel, so you start needing sample sorting jobs, kernel sampling jobs, and tiled frame buffers. Much is made of the parallel nature of ray tracing, but once you start doing anything more complicated than forward tracing, you run into all the same threading issues that other, less parallel friendly algorithms do.

A day and night render of an industrial space that were part of an architectural vis project that got canned half way through. There was originally going to be a backplate, which is why the sky is black.

Yeah well here's mine

I hate you steckles :smith:

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 5, 2013

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Over the last week I've started writing an ORM for Javascript's IndexedDB and WebSQL.

This is the API so far: https://gist.github.com/MalucoMarinero/5519900
The only thing that needs to change for me to use one or the other is the name given to the initDB method. Pretty happy with this so far, working using promises has been very enjoyable once I got my head around them, made it very straightforward to put together some of the more complex stuff I found in putting together asynchronous calls.

Dolex
May 5, 2001

https://vimeo.com/65501819

I sorted Tron by brightness. Played back at 15x.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
Workin on an iPhone app that lets parents send photo postcards of their baby to grandparents and relatives. Doing all the design myself too, coming along pretty good I think:

Already have a backend for my other app lulcards, this is essentially a re-skin of that with a few new baby-specific features.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

This was pretty useful: https://www.cs.brandeis.edu/~cs155/Lecture_07_6.pdf

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

steckles posted:

Ahh, steckles! Really glad you showed up, I remembered someone posting amazing renders here, but couldn't find any of the older posts. From this post it seems like you actually found a practical/business application for your renderer? How is that going, I mean besides this particular project being canceled?

For now this approach to multi-threading is working just fine, but I can definitely see the frame buffer becoming a bottleneck and being a pain in the rear end to manage. Thankfully, I'm still quite far away from bidirecional path tracing so I won't have to deal with this for a while still :).

piratepilates posted:

Yeah well here's mine

I hate you steckles :smith:

:smith::hf::smith:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

nebby posted:

Workin on an iPhone app that lets parents send photo postcards of their baby to grandparents and relatives. Doing all the design myself too, coming along pretty good I think:

Already have a backend for my other app lulcards, this is essentially a re-skin of that with a few new baby-specific features.
If you don't make a million dollars, I'll be disappointed. That's genius.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

Shalinor posted:

If you don't make a million dollars, I'll be disappointed. That's genius.
Haha thanks but execution is everything, we'll see :) I'll post a link when its all done, hopefully in a few weeks.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Dolex posted:

https://vimeo.com/65501819

I sorted Tron by brightness. Played back at 15x.

If only Vimeo had an MJPEG mode-- the encoder choked pretty hard on that!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Have a look at this edX course, which is what got me from next to zero linear algebra and totally zero 3d math to that ray tracer in a few weeks. It just concluded earlier this week, but you can still watch all the videos, in particular the introduction lectures cover all the math you'll need, which isn't that much, really.

It doesn't seem like I can watch the videos without signing up, and I can't sign up as the registration period is over.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Suspicious Dish posted:

It doesn't seem like I can watch the videos without signing up, and I can't sign up as the registration period is over.

Oops, seems like that only works with Coursera then. But luckily all the video lectures are also available on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/raviramamoorthi

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

From this post it seems like you actually found a practical/business application for your renderer? How is that going, I mean besides this particular project being canceled?
Not really a business application for the ray tracer per se, but I've got a lot of experience in building analysis and space classification. Mostly boring poo poo like computing equitable rents for commercial buildings. Lots of a CAD and architectural modelling involved, so I occasionally bid on visualization jobs because it's similar to what I already do. I figured since I've already written a fairly fast physically accurate renderer that I know inside and out, I may as well use it.

I actually don't know the specifics of the industrial space, it was sub contracted to me from another company. Most of my other vis work is with developers putting up big planned community type stuff. Modelling and rendering the five or six McMansions that they're going to copy-paste all over the landscape.

Awww c'mon. Everybody has to start somewhere.

fuscus
Mar 18, 2013
So I made a travel website and so far I only have 18 users. I'm wondering what else we need in order to draw users in. This thing isn't done yet but I definitely didn't start it a week ago. If you have any input I'd like it.

Edit: apparently i suck at loading images.
edit: maybe i don't? guess i need to do more than lurk.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fuscus fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 7, 2013

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

fuscus posted:

So I made a travel website and so far I only have 18 users. I'm wondering what else we need in order to draw users in. This thing isn't done yet but I definitely didn't start it a week ago. If you have any input I'd like it.

Create a site for something that hasn't been done back and forth a million times.

fuscus
Mar 18, 2013

Grawl posted:

Create a site for something that hasn't been done back and forth a million times.

That's something I've been worried about since starting but no other site had what I was looking for. :sigh:

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

fuscus posted:

That's something I've been worried about since starting but no other site had what I was looking for. :sigh:

https://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=travel+blog

It doesn't help your site looks like a mix of Twitter/Wordpress/Flickr. I'm sure it's a nice way to learn new skills, and I envy you for that because I'd never do that, but I don't think you should expect much from the site itself.

e: http://tripwright.com/tripstarter/ now this is something I'd be interested in. Why not build on that?

fuscus
Mar 18, 2013

Grawl posted:

https://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=travel+blog

It doesn't help your site looks like a mix of Twitter/Wordpress/Flickr. I'm sure it's a nice way to learn new skills, and I envy you for that because I'd never do that, but I don't think you should expect much from the site itself.

e: http://tripwright.com/tripstarter/ now this is something I'd be interested in. Why not build on that?

The plan was to build on that. There are so many features I want to add to it but without the rest of the site it just feels like a part time maps mashup. I've been spending most of my time fleshing out the site once I got to that point with the map. In the couple of months or so flights are going to be coming so you can link up journeys across different continents and separate locations more easily. It will be awesome, but I'm still trying to find a way for more people to use it.

e: The cool thing about all of it is that you don't need to upload pictures at all, though it would be helpful to anyone viewing your trip, we find pictures of locations along the trip and automatically show a preview of what you may see. Funny thing is that it only does that 50% of the time. The other 50% is completely unrelated stuff, like old people getting back massages or something. Bugs and such.

As for looking like twitter, well bootstrap tends to do that but it speeds development up a lot since I hate futzing around with css and html.

fuscus fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

fuscus posted:

Edit: apparently i suck at loading images.
edit: maybe i don't? guess i need to do more than lurk.

This is geared towards blogs but probably has some good info for you, or you could post your site there to get feedback:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3447030
It probably would help if you wrote articles for it, since content like that is highly valued by search engines.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 8, 2013