Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abrakadaver
May 1, 2013
I'd been looking forward to Star Commands release for longer than is cool to admit but was still worried I'd be disappointed with it. Oddly I'm quite relieved that all of the problems I have with it are essentially game-design issues, rather than horrible art or terrible performance, because hopefully these will be easier for the devs to iterate upon.

The SC forums are fairly quiet but the devs do seem to be listening to the criticisms so hopefully there will be some bamf patches before too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?

MissMarple posted:

The event has basically been "Get a couple of cool cars pretty easily" "Spend 2 days building the second one because they take forever" "Literally no chance of success unless you pay". I'm cool with that, maybe next time it comes around my head start means ill make it to the end, or maybe I won't be playing anymore. Also one of the free mystery cards gave me a Special Worker who is as good as the rest of my workforce combined so I'm happy.

I really, really wanted to love Motor World. Played the game religiously for a month or two, I think. I enjoyed it enough to spend maybe $5 on it, but it's full of needless, annoying cash grabs. Oh, you spent money on a kick-rear end worker but can only use him/her if you micro-manage your team, since you aren't allowed to fire anyone? Did you accidentally tap the screen a little too quickly and BAM, half your bucks are gone, because this game never heard of a confirmation button? Too bad.

Little poo poo like that just really burned any good will I had for the game. The developer tweeted that some of this would be addressed in the next update, but hell, that was like half a year ago.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Guysguysguysguys you really oughtta play SpaceAgency. It's free for now.

http://appshopper.com/games/space-agency

Build rockets, fly around in space, crash into space stations and explode in expanding clouds of millions of dollars of government funding. Not nearly as involved as Kerbal but still a nice little space sim-lite.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Requires iOS 6 :argh:

Bummey
May 26, 2004

SpookyLizard posted:

Get with the times, broseph.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Bummey posted:

I love Ellen

Permanent thread title right there.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

SpookyLizard posted:

Why are you not on it?

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
Starbucks App codes! This time it's for some game I've never heard of called Circadia. Never heard of it before, but I just played around with it for a few minutes. It's a rhythm-type game, I guess? There's a white ball, plus some other colored balls. Different colors produce different tones, and different tones produce waves that travel at different speeds. The goal is to get all ball waves to hit the white ball at the same time. If this sounds like your idea of a good time, here are codes that will save you the price of a Spicy McChicken!

(it was worth it just to get to say "ball waves")

EH7LH9AAFNXP
4767ML4FMA4Y
H7JYXXARJY6W
EE7HX63JTRN7
NYLKTERMFYT6
7JM7HMP433MJ
K939JXMNLKRT
ERYF3MLN7LH7
XJ993KHMYFYK
AT6A94AKK3KK

Voliun
May 31, 2012

Duranki posted:

NYLKTERMFYT6

Taken this one. Thanks!

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
NightSky is on sale for 99 cents. Worth it?

Also, anyone else get Leviathan Warships? I want to blow poo poo up, but only if its well done.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Duranki posted:

EH7LH9AAFNXP
4767ML4FMA4Y
H7JYXXARJY6W
EE7HX63JTRN7
NYLKTERMFYT6
7JM7HMP433MJ
K939JXMNLKRT
ERYF3MLN7LH7
XJ993KHMYFYK
AT6A94AKK3KK

You had me at ball waves. Actually, you had me at the point I saw a list of codes.

Thank you I took this one H7JYXXARJY6W. I think. Or maybe this one EE7HX63JTRN7. I was copying and pasting too quickly to pin down the one I used.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Also, anyone else get Leviathan Warships? I want to blow poo poo up, but only if its well done.
NightSky is a super chill, great game about rolling a ball. I enjoyed it on the PC.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

NightSky is a super chill, great game about rolling a ball. I enjoyed it on the PC.

Ball rolling? Sold. I'm a sucker for balls. Rolling games.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I'm playing it quite a bit. It's a mixed bag, but it is fun, and I suspect a lot of the rough spots will get polished up in subsequent patches. Anyway, I'd love to play some multiplayer with goons, so if you or anyone else wants to bang out a game or two, let me know.

Dumb proprietary game-specific Paradox game ID: Trustworthy

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Nightsky is fantastic. Relaxed yet challenging in places.
Uses tilt to move by default but has two other options (swipe and digital pad).
I typically use digital pad but be aware that the keys are tiny (so tiny) to a fault.
Also, there is a standard mode and an advanced mode for replay
I'd say worth it.

Trustworthy posted:

I'm playing it quite a bit. It's a mixed bag, but it is fun, and I suspect a lot of the rough spots will get polished up in subsequent patches. Anyway, I'd love to play some multiplayer with goons, so if you or anyone else wants to bang out a game or two, let me know.

Dumb proprietary game-specific Paradox game ID: Trustworthy

I have my eye on that one. What are the strengths and problems with it?

Sad lions fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 6, 2013

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Duranki posted:

Starbucks App codes! This time it's for some game I've never heard of called Circadia. Never heard of it before, but I just played around with it for a few minutes. It's a rhythm-type game, I guess? There's a white ball, plus some other colored balls. Different colors produce different tones, and different tones produce waves that travel at different speeds. The goal is to get all ball waves to hit the white ball at the same time. If this sounds like your idea of a good time, here are codes that will save you the price of a Spicy McChicken!

EH7LH9AAFNXP
4767ML4FMA4Y
H7JYXXARJY6W
EE7HX63JTRN7
NYLKTERMFYT6
7JM7HMP433MJ
K939JXMNLKRT
ERYF3MLN7LH7
XJ993KHMYFYK
AT6A94AKK3KK

Sweet, thanks! Took this one EH7LH9AAFNXP (The first one)

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Abrakadaver posted:

The SC forums are fairly quiet but the devs do seem to be listening to the criticisms so hopefully there will be some bamf patches before too long.

The reason the Star Command forums are quiet is that the game has no replay value at all. What the hell is there to talk about?

I know Touch Arcade's score inflation is just kinda the way it is but them giving SC a 4.5 out of 5 has still got me scratching my head.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Why are you not on it?

Because updating to jailbreak again is loving annoying. Whatever, I'll just play it on iPad.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I own both Vice City and GTA 3 on my iPad. But the controls are really hard to get used to. What are the odds I'd be able to jailbreak and use a PS3 controller or something?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Thanks to the guy who talked about that Kerbal clone - first crack at this genre and its awesome. I have no idea how to do the satellite mission without it blowing up though. I'm not too good with ship part knowledge.

DocMcgillicuddy
Jul 24, 2005

Stop! You need a new routine you've been on this one for almost a month man.
Ace Patrol is out already it seems, thought it wasn't till thursday but, I'm playing it right now and it's real fun. :)

Bummey
May 26, 2004

SpookyLizard posted:

Because updating to jailbreak again is loving annoying. Whatever, I'll just play it on iPad.

Just do it. I had the same objections to 6 but now there are so many apps that require 6.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How do I get missions in vice city? I did the opening stuff but there aren't any objectives for me after I leave the hotel.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Bummey posted:

Just do it. I had the same objections to 6 but now there are so many apps that require 6.

Except the latest version is 6.1.4, and there's no untethered jailbreak for anything after 6.1.2. Apple stopped signing 6.1.2 about 3 days after 6.1.3 came out.

At this point, if you didn't upgrade to 6.1.1 or 6.1.2 and re-jailbreak, your best bet is to wait for iOS 7.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Pitnicker posted:

I'd like to hear from people who went with the Machine Gun or Shield Booster for the first campaign, and how those rooms worked for them.

IMHO the Machine Gun should be renamed Artillery Gun because that's what it more closely resembles. It only fires a maximum of three rounds, it's animation shows a shell casing ejecting after firing, and the shot looks more like a huge shell than tiny bullets.

Also the Shield Booster was better for me once I set up a healing room, since blue rooms contribute to shield regeneration. If I was fast enough and timed building tokens just right, I could keep boarding parties from getting through. Dodge Generator isn't a blue room so it doesn't reinforce shields, I thought.

Kept my crew as experienced as possible because then I could activate skills that allowed them to increase their firing / accuracy rate to the point that if any intruders made it through, they'd be mowed down quicker than if I surrounded myself with rookies. Got them experience by grinding easier missions and allowing boarding parties so they could get target practice. ;)

If I ever wanted to do the "Win With Hull Breaches" strategy I'd keep raiding the Avians, for a bunch of birdbrains they sure throw the kitchen sink at you, or more like multiwarhead kitchen sinks. My ship is always full of holes after a fight with them.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 7, 2013

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Duranki posted:

EH7LH9AAFNXP
4767ML4FMA4Y
H7JYXXARJY6W
EE7HX63JTRN7
NYLKTERMFYT6
7JM7HMP433MJ
K939JXMNLKRT
ERYF3MLN7LH7
XJ993KHMYFYK
AT6A94AKK3KK

All codes used, FYI everybody.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!
http://www.healergame.com/

Really cool ipad game basically putting you into the role of a healer of a MMO raid.. Though this game is single player. If you've ever enjoyed playing healer definitely worth checking it out, Im having a lot of fun with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOVKg9pypOs gameplay footage

KarmaticStylee fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 7, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

KarmaticStylee posted:

Really cool ipad game basically putting you into the role of a healer of a MMO raid.. Though this game is single player. If you've ever enjoyed playing healer definitely worth checking it out, Im having a lot of fun with it

iPad only.

I've played a healer. I'm glad I don't have an iPad.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Bummey posted:

iPad only.

I've played a healer. I'm glad I don't have an iPad.

Haha why so you wouldn't be hooked like I currently am?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

I know it's not the stupidest game out there by far, but drat man. Why would you put yourselves through that without having friends to bullshit with?

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Why are you not on it?

I know this may be alien to you, so let me try to explain it to you simply. Some people are on devices that are, stay with me, so old that they don't support iOS6! It's weird but true.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

bunky posted:

I know this may be alien to you, so let me try to explain it to you simply. Some people are on devices that are, stay with me, so old that they don't support iOS6! It's weird but true.

Well that was quick. :allears:

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

KarmaticStylee posted:

If they made something like this but for tanking, I'd be all for it. Not sure exactly how it would translate to a singleplayer arcade experience, but I don't care :colbert:

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

bunky posted:

Yeah I have a 1st gen ipad, I can't upgrade it past 5.1.1 :(

Early apple adopter woes.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

So I would like to recommend chinese/chinese-knowing goons game that is based on the Romance of the Three Kingdom setting - Dominate the World (my own translation, as I cannot get the chinese words out without it being gibberish in the reply preview) https://itunes.apple.com/sg/app/xiong-ba-tian-de/id511840670?mt=8

At first glance it may be similiar to many of those free strategy/RPG games like Titans Mobile/Titans 2013: Revenge.

But, I find it to be vastly different, just looking at how the combat works http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INYCMNHTdgY

Heroes (each unit) will take turns to attack, they have skills that may be activated when their morale is full (skills include: attack all in enemy formation, attack enemies in row or column, attack with a secondary buff or debuff effect).

You get to choose formations (different formation gives different benefits like increased damage or defense for certain attack type), what heroes to use, what position to put those heroes in. Position is important since the order turns are taken is dependant on your hero position, and how they are attacked by the enemy.

There are 6 equipment slots for each hero, and equipment has color-coded quality like many MMORPGs. You can sell, strengthen equipment, merge equipment to either increase quality or increase level (combine 2 level 50 green-quality weapons to a level 55 green weapon, or a level 50 blue weapon).

Progression is done via clearing maps of NPCs, each of them like the one seen in that video, attacking once takes a turn, and you generate turns every 15 minutes. Every map or two will grant you access to a new city to transfer and reside in that increase your level limit by 5. Your level is determined by upgrading your goverment palace. How high you can upgrade other buildings and level up your heroes are tied to the level of your government palace (as well as how many turns you can store up to), which in turn is determined by which city you are in.

The tech building determines the max researchable level of your technology (things like overall attack/defense/troop number, attack/defense for specific troop types, effectiveness for specific formations etc.). Barracks determine how many volunteer soldiers you can enlist each day, and lets you use grains to get conscripted soldiers, it gets more expensive as you conscript more. Market level increase the maximum amount of grains you can buy or sell with silver. You have a building for the aforementioned equipment upgrade/merging/selling. There is also a building that lets you convert silver to silver tickets (there is a daily limit and a maximum amount of ticket that can be stored, both determined by building level).

This brings me to the point of currency - silver is the currency you earn by collecting tax (you need to manually collect, has a cooldown of 15 minutes, and your government palace level determines how many times you can collect per day. You can however, lose or gain them by losing or attacking another player), fighting NPCs and such. Gold is the IAP. However, this game is rather generous with giving you IAP from events and from in-game means. There is a log-in bonus daily which is random (can give you grains, soldiers, turns, silver or gold), and the bonus for the 7th consecutive day is a combination of all of them, which includes 800 gold I think. In reference, SGD 4 is 600 gold. There are frequent events that earn you gold too (a friend of mine has saved up 20000 gold in three/four months of playing from the log-in bonus and events). Lastly, you can use silver tickets to get gold too.

Gold can be used to collect tax forcefully when you normally cannot collect anymore, attack NPC/player when you are out of turns (both start at 8 gold, then 10, and so forth), speed up research/building upgrades, and most importantly, rolling for new heroes. Every 8 hours you can roll for a hero, or you can forcefully roll for 1 using gold. The cost is determined by how long left the cooldown is, if you want to roll again immediately, it costs 192 gold.

Buying gold can give you VIP status with permanent benefits (1 free hero roll per day at VIP level 1, I think), but is completely optional other than speeding things up.

Heroes are tiered - half star to 5 star, and the pool of heroes you can roll from is determined by what maps you have cleared. Once a map is cleared, all the elite NPCs that you fought would be added to the pool.

The social aspect comes from joining alliances - there is a build in alliance message board, there are weekly events like city battles and alliance battles which gives tangible benefits (the former gives your alliance chance to own a city, which gives daily collection rewards like extra soldiers/grains/turns, and the latter gives gold and free rolls).

Okay, that was a lot of :words:, so in-summary: non-essential IAP and suprising depth to combat and city building makes this really fun.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
If anyone else is playing Leviathan: Warships feel free to add me.

In game name is Raged

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

KarmaticStylee posted:

I love how all the skill and talent icons are lifted straight out of WoW.

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

IMHO the Machine Gun should be renamed Artillery Gun because that's what it more closely resembles. It only fires a maximum of three rounds, it's animation shows a shell casing ejecting after firing, and the shot looks more like a huge shell than tiny bullets.

Pretty sure you have the laser cannon, not the machine gun. The machine gun can fire something like 14-16 rounds and is pretty fast. The laser cannon has a max of 3 rounds and they are big discharges (I don't recall a shell casing ejecting).

Is Leviathans on iOS cross platform with Leviathan on Windows/Mac? Cause I don't have a tablet but I will play some multi with goons. I'm on the Leviathan 1 server and my name is Sidpret, add me. I'm really bad.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Switched.on posted:

If they made something like this but for tanking, I'd be all for it. Not sure exactly how it would translate to a singleplayer arcade experience, but I don't care :colbert:

The healing translates surprisingly well... I could see a genre of these type of games even. In a weird way it reminds me of tower defense. Like, say tower defense allowed you to frantically repair (maybe this exists?) your towers

webmeister posted:

I love how all the skill and talent icons are lifted straight out of WoW.

Like... Exactly the same? Have they no shame?

KarmaticStylee fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

Can anyone recommend some multiplayer wifi network games? I have a group of about 5 - 10 high school students, all with iPads, and I'd like to find some games for them to play with/against each other that aren't word games like scrabble or draw something. They will all be in the same room. I figure I'll give Spaceteam a shot but wanted some others for backup.

Thanks!

• Locked thread