Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sagebrush posted:

What "systems" do you need to employ an AIM-9, exactly, beyond a button to uncage the seeker and a button to ignite the motor? I thought part of the idea of the Sidewinder was that it was completely self-contained. You don't even need to hear the growl if you have a pretty good idea of your target's aspect and angle.

Which if you're in the front of an airliner, you're not going to know. So yeah, you need all that.

And as mentioned, tactically it's a complete and utter waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

wdarkk posted:

A cable that goes between the buttons and the missile.

Also a hardpoint to attach the rail to the wing, of which a 707 has zero. You can't just go willy nilly attaching rails and pylons to things where there aren't hardpoints specifically designed to be a load bearing structure, airplanes don't work like that. The Nimrod had hardpoints on the wings for mounting air to surface missiles on; they just adapted these for the Sidewinder. If those hardpoints hadn't existed it would've been much more difficult (honestly probably impossible) to jury rig the Sidewinders like they did.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
Why did the Nimrod have hardpoints? I mean, wasn't it a DH Comet originally?

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.

Thank you for posting this.

I knew I had seen the footage many times before. A quick Google search led me to Threshold The Blue Angels Experience, an awesome 70s documentary(narrated by Leslie Nielsen!). I must have worn out that VCR tape, watching it every week as a kid.

If only the DVD wasn't ridiculous money on amazon.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

ctishman posted:

Why did the Nimrod have hardpoints? I mean, wasn't it a DH Comet originally?

iyaayas01 posted:

The Nimrod had hardpoints on the wings for mounting air to surface missiles on

The Comet obviously didn't have them originally, they added them to the design as part of the militarization process to go from the Comet design to a Nimrod (just like they added a bomb bay, etc). Same thing with the Electra and the P-3. Whereas the E-3 did not get hardpoints added to the design as part of the militarization process.

...or did it?

e: So you all should check out this ppt featuring pictures of the Naval Aviation heritage paint schemes. I know there's a couple that aren't depicted there (VX-9's, for starters although that one apparently wasn't an "official" heritage scheme and was just done up by the unit) but it is a pretty good round up. I think my favorite has to be the P-3 scheme that is identical to the scheme that the first P-3s were delivered in.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 5, 2013

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

iyaayas01 posted:

e: So you all should check out this ppt featuring pictures of the Naval Aviation heritage paint schemes. I know there's a couple that aren't depicted there (VX-9's, for starters although that one apparently wasn't an "official" heritage scheme and was just done up by the unit) but it is a pretty good round up. I think my favorite has to be the P-3 scheme that is identical to the scheme that the first P-3s were delivered in.

Oh man, can someone tell me why the P3C in that picture still has an HF antenna strung between the tail and the fuselage? I thought modern antenna couplers did away with those.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

ctishman posted:

Oh man, can someone tell me why the P3C in that picture still has an HF antenna strung between the tail and the fuselage? I thought modern antenna couplers did away with those.

Several aircraft still use them. I don't know where the idea that the military keeps its hardware on the cutting edge or even in the same decade as modern technology comes from. I had an 8 year old desktop computer in my office, and my aircraft's missions systems were run by a CPU designed in 1963, and the guys up front were still using steam gauges. I'm pretty sure there are newer office computers now, but the rest is still true.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 5, 2013

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Several aircraft still use them. I don't know where the idea that the military keeps its hardware on the cutting edge or even in the same decade as modern technology comes from. I had an 8 year old desktop computer in my office, and my aircraft's missions systems were run by a CPU designed in 1963, and the guys up front were still using steam gauges.

Some of the newest technology in the AF inventory (Preds and Reapers) utilize a literal string dangled in front of the nose cameras in the airstream to determine yaw.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ctishman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if0jhEA2z8k

Hispano HA-200 exhibition pilot encounters the ground a bit too suddenly this morning.

Aww jeez, I plan on never going to an airshow.

What is the announcer saying about North American?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

Those two- and three-tone Orca schemes are baller as gently caress.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

CharlesM posted:

Aww jeez, I plan on never going to an airshow.

What is the announcer saying about North American?

".. the air ministerium wanted a transitional aircraft from prop to jet. At the time the first F-86 Sabres, [from the] North American [company], attack-fighters, were arriving... [screams] HOSTIA*"

*: holy wafer, the spanish "allahu akhbar", good for any situation.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

Several aircraft still use them. I don't know where the idea that the military keeps its hardware on the cutting edge or even in the same decade as modern technology comes from. I had an 8 year old desktop computer in my office, and my aircraft's missions systems were run by a CPU designed in 1963, and the guys up front were still using steam gauges. I'm pretty sure there are newer office computers now, but the rest is still true.

I'm so glad our C-130s and E-8C's don't have longwires.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:ssh: Some of our C-130s do.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

:ssh: Some of our C-130s do.

Only E models, and most of the E's are coming to the end of their hour limit, so unless you have an EC-130E or other specialized C-130 platform, you won't have them long.

Even then, most EC/AC/KC/etc. C-130s are being replaced by H2, H2.5, and H3 models.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 6, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah, Compass Call is what I was thinking of. IIRC they're H models and not going anywhere soon. I realize it's a specialty platform, I just felt like being a smartass because this homework is grinding my brain into mush and making me dumb.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

Yeah, Compass Call is what I was thinking of. IIRC they're H models and not going anywhere soon. I realize it's a specialty platform, I just felt like being a smartass because this homework is grinding my brain into mush and making me dumb.

Fair enough, I know the feeling.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

iyaayas01 posted:

The Comet obviously didn't have them originally, they added them to the design as part of the militarization process to go from the Comet design to a Nimrod (just like they added a bomb bay, etc). Same thing with the Electra and the P-3. Whereas the E-3 did not get hardpoints added to the design as part of the militarization process.

...or did it?

The WW2-era stuff is great, same with most of the Hornet/Super Hornet schemes (dat growler). The Digital Camo 18F is atrocious, though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Fucknag posted:

The WW2-era stuff is great, same with most of the Hornet/Super Hornet schemes (dat growler). The Digital Camo 18F is atrocious, though.

To be fair, the same can be said about the navy's new uniforms...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

To be fair, the same can be said about the navy's new uniforms...

The USAF is supposedly going to replace the ABUs in a year or two, they admitted that they didn't really do the job and they wasted a lot of money on designing them.

I know in a lot of deployments now they are switching us to ACUs.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

I'm getting a 404, is it just me? I want to see all the cool camo schemes :(

Godholio posted:

I know you're fully aware of this, but something something "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" + the ridiculously long qualification and testing process for components that need to meet mil-spec. Same thing with the space shuttle, where I'm pretty sure NASA ended up literally garage-saleing/eBaying some components needed to keep the things flying. Not to mention the delay between design time and actual entry into service (see F-22, some of the newer naval ships). I think we had a post about that in this thread too, we need to index some of the awesome wall-of-text posts about certain subjects in this thread.

movax fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 6, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

^Oh I know that, but there are a lot of cases of it "it's broke, but it's not a fighter jet so don't fix it."

CommieGIR posted:

The USAF is supposedly going to replace the ABUs in a year or two, they admitted that they didn't really do the job and they wasted a lot of money on designing them.

I know in a lot of deployments now they are switching us to ACUs.

The Army is ditching ACUs, and everyone who deploys to Afganistan gets multicam, not ACU. The ABU is a garrison uniform and despite rhetoric to the contrary, that's all it was ever intended to be.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

iyaayas01 posted:

I've always thought that the Coral Sea-Midway color scheme was baller as gently caress. Simple and stylish like a good suit. The '30s schemes are just plain pimp poo poo, though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

^Oh I know that, but there are a lot of cases of it "it's broke, but it's not a fighter jet so don't fix it."

The Army is ditching ACUs, and everyone who deploys to Afganistan gets multicam, not ACU. The ABU is a garrison uniform and despite rhetoric to the contrary, that's all it was ever intended to be.

Yeah, forgive me I meant Multicam, Multicam is the new adopted Army uniform anyways...

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
I will now answer your questions about falling out of a BO-105 and slicing my arm open on 30-year old West German aluminum. Also this urgent care has lovely magazines.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Polymerized Cum posted:

I will now answer your questions about falling out of a BO-105 and slicing my arm open on 30-year old West German aluminum. Also this urgent care has lovely magazines.

Ask me about being in an industrial accident... :v:

How far did you fall? I assume nothing is too broken.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Polymerized Cum posted:

Does West German metal slice better than unified German metal, and as for magazines, how lovely are we talking...Reader's Digest lovely, or "we only have 10-year old Cosmo issues" lovely?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I'd rather read a decade old Cosmo than a current Reader's Digest.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Polymerized Cum posted:

Vampire helicopter. A very specific form of erotic fanfic.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I've always thought that the Coral Sea-Midway color scheme was baller as gently caress. Simple and stylish like a good suit. The '30s schemes are just plain pimp poo poo, though.

I think my favorite is the P-3 delivery scheme. Not because it's the best looking, but because the airframe is old enough to qualify for its' own heritage scheme.

Edit: Same with the Huey.

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 7, 2013

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
How about a P-51 executing an overhead break approach for your viewing pleasure?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaVGIISlPsI&t=5m

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

ehnus posted:

How about a P-51 executing an overhead break approach for your viewing pleasure?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaVGIISlPsI&t=5m

Oh the horrible, despicable things I would do to be the one taking those instructions.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
So I just saw that the Flying Heritage Collection, located next to the Boeing plant just a couple miles from where I live, is flying their Mig-29 for the first time today and tomorrow. Awesome! Except for I'm out of town for work right now. gently caress.

Check it out if you're in the area though. They seem to be keep their Facebook page up to date as the schedule changes:
https://www.facebook.com/flyingheritagecollection

I can't complain too much. I was parked at the end of the runway a few weeks ago doing something completely unrelated and a P-51 did a screaming fast take-off. I also see Dreamlifters pass over 1-2 times a week.

LOLbertsons
Apr 8, 2009

I just learned today that I work with the son of Ken Collins, who was one of the A-12 test pilots, and one of the few humans in the world to successfully punch out of one.

He had some cool stories to say the least.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
First launch of the X-47 drone from an aircraft carrier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqAa57UGZ1s

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Phanatic posted:

First launch of the X-47 drone from an aircraft carrier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqAa57UGZ1s

I read that as the first launch of a B-47 from a carrier and I said to myself "I REALLY want to see THAT".

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
One of those guys had a wicked utility belt and bionic arm.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Ominous Balls posted:

I just learned today that I work with the son of Ken Collins, who was one of the A-12 test pilots, and one of the few humans in the world to successfully punch out of one.

He had some cool stories to say the least.

Is he the guy who's plane broke up at Mach 3?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

The Ferret King posted:

One of those guys had a wicked utility belt and bionic arm.

Drones, cyborgs, lasers, railguns....

The Navy is on drugs.

LOLbertsons
Apr 8, 2009

drgitlin posted:

Is he the guy who's plane broke up at Mach 3?

No. Subsonic. His pitot tube iced over and he got a false airspeed reading. Stalled out and went into an upside down flat spin. Ejected somewhere over Utah. A couple of farmers came and picked him up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Stupid Airbus question: During taxi in an A320, I heard 4 or 5 "bark"-like squeals from the undercarriage. Upon reaching the gate, I heard something similar. Since the barks seemed to coincide with engine spool-up/down, I suspect the PTU. It sounded like it was right under my feet, and freaked the heck out of a bunch of people around me.

I've flown in A32Xs before and noticed they make a bunch of weird noises. Boeing jets, on the other hand, tend to be quieter - some 'clunk's, but no barks or whoops or "WOOOORIUUUA" noises.

Is there some reason why Airbusses tend to be louder? Are the French big fans of odd barks and squeaks? Is it their passionate nature expressing itself through the medium of hydraulic noises?