Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
Alright, thank you! Like I said, I didn't think it did but I just wanted to confirm it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009
Can you guys post your favorite toddler cough and cold remedies? My 15-month-old has been sick off and on for the last month, and at this point it could not be more transparent that the pediatricians give gently caress zero. To be fair, as they told me this morning, it probably is viral and they'd just be treating symptoms...but it's the symptoms that are making him miserable, and I'd like to maybe treat that a little so he doesn't feel so bad.

He's had congestion, runny nose, coughing and sneezing, for a few days each week, for the last month. Every now and then he's also run fever of about 100-102 degrees, and he had an ear infection at one point which has been successfully treated. They thought he might have allergies, but allergies don't usually come with fever. He's on Zyrtec for them anyway. In light of the recent scary things coming out about giving babies cough medicine I don't want to load him up on it too much (although it is very tempting...I gave him a quarter teaspoon of Little Colds last night and he actually slept all night for the...4th time? in his short life). We have a cold mist humidifier but it doesn't seem to help much.

What works for your little ones?

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Chicken McNobody posted:

Our pediatrician said that the best we can really do is give Advil/Tylenol for fever and any aches. The reason all cold medications aren't approved for under age two anymore is because the FDA found them to be completely ineffective in that age group. We have had a luck with a hot steam vaporizer out of his reach with the baby Vicks pads (not the adult ones, which are contraindicated for babies/toddlers).

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
My daughter never responded to benadryl, it just made her extra cranky. Basically just control the fever when it gets bad and ride it out. My nephew has had a bad cough since November and there's not much to be done. Also, make sure you're cleaning your cold most humidifier at least a few times a week with bleach, preferably every day. They're basically bacteria incubators and then it just gets spread all over the room. It's good your pediatricians didn't just give you antibiotics to make you happy. That's what they did when I was a kid.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
FWIW, I flew with Tim when he was not quite two, and he had a miserable head cold. I mean, ugly. We both did. I was really concerned about the pressurization in the cabin killing him, so I called my ped and asked if there was anything I could do, on account of not being supposed to give them cold medicine. They said to give him 1/4 teaspoon of children's sudafed syrup--the kind you have to ask for at the pharmacy, not the PE stuff. They specifically repeated NOT the PE stuff (she said it's bad for the blood pressure). The nurse said what skeetied said, about the cold meds not explicitly being proven to work on little kids (she said because they never did the trials), but that small doses wouldn't hurt either. Just that they may not do anything. Anyway, I gave him the sudafed, and it worked. His nose cleared up for the flight. Just an anecdote!

Seconding the Baby Vicks. We have the little pads that you put in the plug-in, and they smell good and soothe. Hell, I slept with one plugged in right next to my side of the bed when I was sick and pregnant and they helped me! Also, the Baby Vicks chest rub (I use the Target brand). Good stuff. Also, you can use the Little Colds Honey Elixir on his cough just fine. It's mostly just honey and approved for kids over one (because you have to be one to safely eat honey).

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Chicken McNobody posted:

Can you guys post your favorite toddler cough and cold remedies? My 15-month-old has been sick off and on for the last month, and at this point it could not be more transparent that the pediatricians give gently caress zero. To be fair, as they told me this morning, it probably is viral and they'd just be treating symptoms...but it's the symptoms that are making him miserable, and I'd like to maybe treat that a little so he doesn't feel so bad.

He's had congestion, runny nose, coughing and sneezing, for a few days each week, for the last month. Every now and then he's also run fever of about 100-102 degrees, and he had an ear infection at one point which has been successfully treated. They thought he might have allergies, but allergies don't usually come with fever. He's on Zyrtec for them anyway. In light of the recent scary things coming out about giving babies cough medicine I don't want to load him up on it too much (although it is very tempting...I gave him a quarter teaspoon of Little Colds last night and he actually slept all night for the...4th time? in his short life). We have a cold mist humidifier but it doesn't seem to help much.

I was told that the reason infant cold medications were discontinued was because parents were overdosing their children, not because of ineffectiveness. I'd switch to a ped if they can't even suggest something that'll help with the symptoms, especially with how long it's been going on. When my little guy has a cold, we give him some loratadine to help with the runny nose and drainage, which helps him sleep better and helps prevent the worst of the sore throat & coughing. We also give him some honey for coughs.

I've never used the little colds thing, but if it's age-appropriate, I'd go for it.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Ariza posted:

Also, make sure you're cleaning your cold most humidifier at least a few times a week with bleach, preferably every day. They're basically bacteria incubators and then it just gets spread all over the room. It's good your pediatricians didn't just give you antibiotics to make you happy. That's what they did when I was a kid.

I may just quit using the humidifier altogether...it's soaking my floor anyway. If the warm ones are any better I may switch.

I definitely didn't want antibiotics for a probably viral infection. Mainly I just wish the docs and nurses at that clinic would at least pretend to care that the kids feel bad, and offer suggestions to ease the symptoms, instead of just "Call us if he runs a high fever, bye." I guess seeing so many sick kids every day would desensitize them though, and they are busy. My mom's a nurse and always feels bad for the kids she has to see so I might be biased.

We will definitely try the honey-based remedies. We have good local honey that should help with any allergies as well. Maybe warm, weak tea with honey and lemon, as long as I'm careful about what type of tea it is?

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Chicken McNobody posted:

I may just quit using the humidifier altogether...it's soaking my floor anyway. If the warm ones are any better I may switch.

I definitely didn't want antibiotics for a probably viral infection. Mainly I just wish the docs and nurses at that clinic would at least pretend to care that the kids feel bad, and offer suggestions to ease the symptoms, instead of just "Call us if he runs a high fever, bye." I guess seeing so many sick kids every day would desensitize them though, and they are busy. My mom's a nurse and always feels bad for the kids she has to see so I might be biased.

We will definitely try the honey-based remedies. We have good local honey that should help with any allergies as well. Maybe warm, weak tea with honey and lemon, as long as I'm careful about what type of tea it is?

You can also close the bathroom door and run the shower as hot as possible while you play/read books inside.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
If you have an Android phone (I'm sure there's 10x as many apps on iPhones) you can get a free app called SafeDose that asks for your child's weight in kg and then gives you recommended doses for medicines where it won't be listed on the labels, like benadryl. It's meant to be used by health care professionals though, so it's mostly IV drugs and stuff you'd never want to give your baby yourself. You can also ask a friendly pharmacist and they'll either look it up on their computer for you or pull out their big book to find a dosage. I would talk to your pediatrician before giving your baby loratadine though. I've never heard of that and all the info I can find says not to give it to babies under 2 (even professionally).

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Chicken McNobody posted:

They can still treat the symptoms. When Chris had bronchiolitis, a viral infection, they sent him home with a nebulizer and albuterol to help him breathe easier, and it definitely made him a lot less miserable. He wasn't a fan of having the mask on his face but he had tons of energy afterwards and slept way better.

I kind of suspect he has a mild case of that right now, but the first time I brought him in it was after a weekend of nothing but fever and sleeping all day and barely eating, and the symptoms were way more mild this time around so I'm not panicking.

So I guess if you're not happy with the current group, move on. I don't think there's anything wrong with going the extra mile for your kid's health.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Ariza posted:

I would talk to your pediatrician before giving your baby loratadine though. I've never heard of that and all the info I can find says not to give it to babies under 2 (even professionally).

Well yeah, we only gave it to our son because our ped recommended it (and my ped SIL confirmed it being fine). I wouldn't advise just giving your baby medicine without confirming it with your doctor!

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

iwik posted:

Hey Fionnoula, I think I recall you saying that the marbling in Liam's eyes was a distinctive feature of Williams Syndrome, is it generally only found in people with that condition?

I just ask because I saw a little girl at the supermarket last night and she had the most interesting eyes, they were a really pale blue - like an ice blue - and they looked like they may have had a bit of marbling in them, but I wasn't sure (they were so light in colour the white marble didn't stand out as well as Liam's) and I thought it was a bit creepy to stare to check it out more thoroughly.

I know that it's a very typical presentation for people with WS but I'd hesitate to say that WS is the only thing that can cause it. Much like their hallmark heart condition - just because 90% of people who have that specific condition have it because they've got WS, that still means that 10% of patients have it for some other reason. Some people just have awesome looking eyes, I guess :)

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

Fionnoula posted:

Some people just have awesome looking eyes, I guess :)

Yeah, they were really pretty & interesting.

(Just for the record, I wasn't looking at her thinking 'Well, hey. William's Syndrome', it was 'Oooh, pretty.. hm, was that a thing?')

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Social Security just released the name popularity for 2012. Looks like the Benjamin thing isn't just popular with goons; it was number 16 in popularity.

Also, in 2012 there were 206 baby boys born with the first name of Legend, 335 with the first name of Sincere, 499 named Justice!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

How are you finding the number of instances of the name other than the rank?

Jasper was ranked 264. The last time the name was that high on the list was 100 years ago.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Looks like Vivian is getting increasingly popular, but her middle name doesn't even chart.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Hah. My daughters name isn't even in the top 1000. It's oddly popular with dogs though. Bummer that.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Alterian posted:

How are you finding the number of instances of the name other than the rank?

Jasper was ranked 264. The last time the name was that high on the list was 100 years ago.

Go to the site (here for anyone who hasn't already seen it: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/oact/babynames/) and there are three tabs under the Top 10 list. Click the "Popular Names by Birth Year" and enter whatever year you're looking for. Choose Top 1000 from the Popularity dropdown (or less if you know that the name is pretty popular). Under that are two radio buttons for "Percent of total births" or "Number of births," click the "number of births" one and hit "Go." Then you can just do a "Find" from your browser for the name you're looking to see the numbers for.

You can see how many Johns, Michaels, etc were born in the year you put in. What it doesn't seem to do is show you how many Johns were born in 2012 vs 2011, vs 2010, etc. You can run it for each year though and find out that way.

EDIT: Blame the rise in popularity of Jasper on Twilight.

EDIT 2: It counts each spelling variation as it's own name, so while there were 14,779 Aidens, there were an additional 6,181 Aydens, 1,142 Adens, 335 Aydans, and 329 Aydins.

Mnemosyne fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 10, 2013

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Baby Name Wizard will show you a graph of popularity from year to year!

e: http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 10, 2013

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Mnemosyne posted:

EDIT 2: It counts each spelling variation as it's own name, so while there were 14,779 Aidens, there were an additional 6,181 Aydens, 1,142 Adens, 335 Aydans, and 329 Aydins.

Yeah I wish there was a way to see the rankings with the spelling variations lumped together. Like 2-2.5% of all girls were named Sophia last year if you look at all of the spellings.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Happy Mother's Day to all! May you spend at least some of it not actually mothering. ;)

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

AlistairCookie posted:

Happy Mother's Day to all! May you spend at least some of it not actually mothering. ;)

The kiddo went on a bike ride with Daddy so I get the bonus of a couple hours of quiet time AND not getting guilted into going along. Double win!

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Has anyone dealt with an infant who is losing weight? My kid was born huge (24 inches, 10.5 pounds), was 12 pounds, 25 inches at her 2-month check-up, and is now 11 pounds, 26 inches at 4-months. I feed her 5 or more times a day (breastfed), she is hitting all her milestones, and was napping well and sleeping through the night. She never really cried for food and is bright-eyed and giggly.

Once the ped saw her weight loss, he recommended more feedings and wants to keep the option to supplement with formula on the table. I check back in with him in two weeks to see if she's gaining again.

My first kid was born big and slowed his growth way down around 6-months, but he was also very active with crawling and stuff so it made sense he was burning what I fed him.

In a potentially unrelated but crappy coincidence, her sleep has gone to poo poo since we started feeding her more. No naps, barely sleeping at night, and she is refusing to go down.

Any advice?

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
5 times a day doesn't seem like nearly enough for an infant that age. Do you mean 5 times during the day time or is that in a 24 hour period? How is her output? Lots of wet diapers? This page has helpful info and links: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/enoughmilk-older/

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

My guy didn't lose weight, but didn't get back to his birth weight as soon as they wanted him to, and even once he did, he was in the 5th percentile or less for the first 3 or 4 months.

I breastfeed too, and I just made sure I was feeding him pretty much every 2-3 hours during the day, whether he was asking to eat or not. Then I would wake him up and feed him during the night, even though he would have slept longer. (The doctor told me I didn't need to wake him up at night, but my boobs were being drained every 2 hours during the day and weren't allowing me to go more than 4 hours at night with leaking everywhere). He's 11 months this week and now he's up to almost the 10th percentile. Even at 11 months, with 2-3 meals of solids each day, I still nurse him about 7-8 times each day, so 5 seems like a terribly small amount.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

I can think of 5 specific feeding times (after waking up around 8am, before we leave the house for the morning around 11am, before her nap around 2pm, right after she wakes up around 5pm, before bed around 8pm) and then I feed additional times during the day depending on where we end up for that day's adventures. It's hard to keep track of how long I feed her for with both an infant and a 2-year old to juggle, and I was taking her cues on if she needed more feedings. Since she never really cried for food, and she was hitting her milestones, I figured she was getting enough. Clearly, I was wrong.

She is 95%+ in head circumference, 90%-95% in length, and under 5% in weight. :(

Also, 3 or more wet diapers daily and a poopy diaper every few days.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

VorpalBunny posted:

I can think of 5 specific feeding times (after waking up around 8am, before we leave the house for the morning around 11am, before her nap around 2pm, right after she wakes up around 5pm, before bed around 8pm) and then I feed additional times during the day depending on where we end up for that day's adventures. It's hard to keep track of how long I feed her for with both an infant and a 2-year old to juggle, and I was taking her cues on if she needed more feedings. Since she never really cried for food, and she was hitting her milestones, I figured she was getting enough. Clearly, I was wrong.

She is 95%+ in head circumference, 90%-95% in length, and under 5% in weight. :(

Also, 3 or more wet diapers daily and a poopy diaper every few days.

She should be having 6 or more wet diapers a day. Feeding 5x/day doesn't sound like nearly enough :(

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Sometimes it surprises you how often you're feeding, I downloaded an app to track stuff with Ellie because she only put on an ounce this week and I wanted to work out exactly how much I fed before I started thinking about supplementing and I've fed her 14 times in the last 24 hours but if someone had asked me before how often I fed I'd have said 7 or 8 times.

Edit: Pictures of my very handsome and very monkey like toddler

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 13, 2013

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Can you set a timer on your phone to go off every 2 hours or something like that, and feed then?

I think it's great that you've got 2 weeks to work on it and that you and your ped are on top of it. If you do end up supplementing after that, you know there's nothing wrong with that :) Whatever it takes to get those calories in!

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
Lactation professionals have a diagnosis of a baby that's "happy to starve." Do you have a lactation consultant that you can speak with? I'd keep a breastfeeding log until you can do so.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Sometimes it surprises you how often you're feeding, I downloaded an app to track stuff with Ellie because she only put on an ounce this week and I wanted to work out exactly how much I fed before I started thinking about supplementing and I've fed her 14 times in the last 24 hours but if someone had asked me before how often I fed I'd have said 7 or 8 times.

Ben Davis posted:

Can you set a timer on your phone to go off every 2 hours or something like that, and feed then?

I think it's great that you've got 2 weeks to work on it and that you and your ped are on top of it. If you do end up supplementing after that, you know there's nothing wrong with that :) Whatever it takes to get those calories in!

Today, I set a timer to go off every 2 hours every day so I can nurse her. It's a total of 7 alarms from 8:30am-8:30pm, so she'll be fed at least 7 times to her satisfaction. So far, it doesn't feel like any more than I usually do so maybe I was doing 7+ feedings a day? Now that I am keeping better track, I'll have more info for the ped. She's as happy and energetic as ever, and she rolled from her stomach to back yesterday, so hopefully a few extra feedings are all she needs to put back on the pudge.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! :tipshat:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

While we're talking about feeding, is there an amount that's too much formula for a baby? I was looking up the amount Jasper should be eating and starting to read things like how you shouldn't be feeding more than 32oz of formula a day. He regularly eats about 40 and has had a day or two recently where he ate 48oz. He's not fat at all. Infact, he's on the skinny side. He's in the 90th percentile for height and 50th or weight. His doctor didn't say anything at his last check up at 4 months. He was eating around 36 oz then. He's due for another check up in a few weeks.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

New parent to a two month old here. Our baby has been pretty easy going for the most part, but the past week, she's been having 1-2 uncontrollable crying fits for about 15 minutes at a time. After they are over, she is back to being a normal and happy baby with really no other signs of distress.

This isn't a standard hungry cry, or even a painful cry, this is complete and utter chaos, where she sings bloody murder.

The doctor suggested that it could be a result of acid reflux (she has also spit up really badly since she was first born), so we've been giving her zantac for the past 3-4 days, but it hasn't really seemed to change anything as it relates to the crying fits (the spitting up is much improved).

I thought that it may be colic, but a majority of the items I've read say that it goes on for hours at a time. In her case, it's just 10-15 minutes, and 1-2 times a day.

Any suggestions on what this could possibly be?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
She's a baby.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Maybe gas pain? Does it occur a set amount of time after a feeding?

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

FishBulb posted:

She's a baby.

Thanks for the excellent advice. Babies cry regularly, but this isn't a normal cry of hers and nothing calms her other than a little bit of time. When we first brought her home and my wife was unable to get her to latch, she cried like this for hours at a time until we finally switched to formula. At that point, it was clearly pain from hunger. At this point, she is getting enough food, but this crying spells come seemingly out of nowhere.

Mnemosyne posted:

Maybe gas pain? Does it occur a set amount of time after a feeding?

It does happen regularly after eating, and we've assumed that it's gas pain...but I haven't been able to find anything that seems to help. She tends to have a ton of gas after the episodes. We've tried everything from pro-biotic drops to baby massages, and everything in between.

Acrolos fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 14, 2013

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

She could be reacting to that specific brand of formula. I know some babies do better with certain types!

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Acrolos posted:

New parent to a two month old here. Our baby has been pretty easy going for the most part, but the past week, she's been having 1-2 uncontrollable crying fits for about 15 minutes at a time. After they are over, she is back to being a normal and happy baby with really no other signs of distress.

This isn't a standard hungry cry, or even a painful cry, this is complete and utter chaos, where she sings bloody murder.

The doctor suggested that it could be a result of acid reflux (she has also spit up really badly since she was first born), so we've been giving her zantac for the past 3-4 days, but it hasn't really seemed to change anything as it relates to the crying fits (the spitting up is much improved).

I thought that it may be colic, but a majority of the items I've read say that it goes on for hours at a time. In her case, it's just 10-15 minutes, and 1-2 times a day.

It happens. You're kind of at the peak fussiness stage right now, my son did that for a week or so and then stopped. She may also be going through a growth spurt or developmental leap.

Or she could just be a baby doing what babies do. Seriously, sometimes they just scream. Overtired, overhungry, overstimulated, understimulated - it could be any of these things.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Alterian posted:

While we're talking about feeding, is there an amount that's too much formula for a baby?

Are you using the slowest nipple you can find on the bottle? Are you holding it parallel to the ground instead of letting gravity help? Are you trying other methods of consoling him before feeding him again if he has recently eaten? That does seem like a lot of formula for that young of a baby, but then, my son ate 36 oz. of breast milk a day for the first ten months of his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

Acrolos posted:

Collin does this - I just pick him up, walk around, bouncing and talking to him. Figured it was normal.

Alright a few questions - my flight home is next week and I'm figuring out what exactly to pack. Well be there 6 days, 5 nights with 2 of those days spent traveling. I figured 10 onesies, 4/5 shorts/pants, 2 jackets, his swim suit, 4/5 pairs of socks and his hat. If push comes to shove I have the ability to do laundry if need be... What do you guys think? Is that enough/too much/too little?

Also, because it is Oklahoma and Oklahoma at the end of may is usually filled with HOT days, well be in the pool (not all day of course). I've got him a long sleeve top, long shorts, one of those hats that have a bill/earflaps/covers the neck and completely organic sunscreen for the few exposed places. What floaty thing works best? I want one with a good sun shade (obviously) but nothing too big.

It's interesting to look back on how my family raised my nephew (7 years ago) and how we had no clue about 98% of this stuff, compared to how I'm going about raising Collin and being completely informed about all our parenting decisions. I'm sure I'm going to get comments about breast feeding since 99% of them formula feed, blah.