Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Monathin posted:

That was truly the definition of :magical:. Right there.

THE BROOKLYN BOMBERS III HAVE BEEN EXCISED FROM EXPANSION CUP IX, AND AS A RESULT SUPER-LEAGUE X.

Jesus poo poo what a game, I'll have a log of the IRC up here soon.

Brooklyn, you are a loving dumbass, and this is coming from somebody who put his trust in Larry Doby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

The Coburns have always had the offense necessary to take the Losers down, but the pitching has been a problem. In fact, with Maddux already burned because of the Wildcard game, their best, and only truly reliable, starter might not even get a chance to start a game in this series if the Coburns can somehow manage to win one of the first three games of this series, in which the Losers will be starting, in order, Satchel Paige, Don Drysdale, and Tom Seaver. This series is winnable, especially since a potential Game 4 matchup of Maddux against Koosman would heavily favor the Coburns, but it's not going to be easy.

The Losers have always been a bit unlucky when it comes to the playoffs. They run into the Bangers at their apex, the Tornados when they were actually decent, and the one time they reached the Finals, they ran into the Bobbleheads when they were unstoppable. That said, they should win this series. Even with their injuries, they have enough pitching and hitting to overcome the less-balanced Coburns team.

Don May posted:

LOSERS MANHANDLE COBURNS 9-2 IN OPENER

Rockford- The Coburns may have the power of Coburn on their side, but the Losers have Satchel Paige, and that might be enough.

Satchel Paige held the Coburns' league-leading offense to just one run over eight innings as the Losers easily turned back the Coburns 9-2. Of course, as good as Paige was, and he was fantastic, some credit must also be given to the Losers' offense. Even without Charleston, the team's best hitter, the Losers' hitting has continued to be effective and consistent, which is just what their powerful rotation needs to keep them in games. Today, with Bert Blyleven, who once set a record for most home runs allowed in a season, on the mound, the Losers smelled blood, eventually hitting three long home runs off of him in the course of the rout.

After the game, Blyleven attempted to explain away his struggles, "Sometimes....uh...sometimes you have to know when to hold them....know when to fold them....know when to....how the gently caress did the rest of that song go?" Blyleven then hummed part of Kenny Rogers' "The Gambler", trying to remember more lyrics, "In any case, I know there are a lot of people out there who will say, 'Gee, Bert, maybe giving up two home runs to Joe Torre wasn't very good at all'. And yeah, I guess it wasn't ideal. On the other hand, let's not forget that I kept Frank Robinson and Frank Thomas and Oscar Charleston from hitting any home runs! And isn't that much more impressive? It was like...uh...not a defeat....an anti-victory...it's like an anti-hero, except with winning."

Warm Sarsaparilla, owner of the Coburns and inventor of Dr. Pepper, still had confidence that the great Coburn would save his team, "Without struggle, there is no faith. Were our journey just an unending series of triumphs, then what would be the point? We would never have that moment, that critical moment, where doubt crept it, where we would have to confront the possibility that there would be no happy ending for us. We would be no better than Miami Heat fans. Soulless marauders who want glory but want not the struggle that comes with it. Lounging around the beach without any care for anyone else, their leathery skin, overexposed to the harsh light of the sun stretched too tight, as its elasticity had long been burned away. These twisted parodies of humanity are the result of when a people are not properly tested before tasting the sweet nectar of championships. And I would not have that happen to my team, no matter how tempting it might be. Glory to Coburn for this defeat. May we have many more like it before our time finally comes."

That confused Lord Mayor Humungus, even as he was grateful for yet another win over his team's most enduring rivals, "Coburns! You should not have come here! This place means death for a team such as yourselves. I gave you a chance, Warm Sarsaparilla, to stay away from Rockford, to live the rest of your days in blissful ignorance of its horrors. Instead, you dared turn your back on my generosity! See now the price! Your mighty Bert Blyleven, turned to ashes by my disciplined hitters! Your vaunted offense, so great that many considered it more powerful that even my own, lies in ruins! You must realize now that this was a terrible mistake! But I give you some hope in the darkness, Warm Sarsaparilla, I will still allow you to leave. Go from this place, return to your homes, and allow us to take our rightful place in the Dynamo League Championship Series without further struggle. End this madness, I beg you, for your own sake. Do not let fairy tales of a celestial cowboy lead you to your own destruction!"

Game 2 will take place in Rockford, recently named as one of America's Top 10 Places to Inspire Depressive Poetry. The Losers, looking to end things as quickly as possible, will send out Don Drysdale. The undermanned Coburns will have to turn to Sonny Siebert to keep them alive.

GAME NOTES

-Bill Campbell also sucked for the Coburns.

-Every starting position player for the Losers got at least one hit as Blyleven pitched to contact much more than was either healthy or wise.

Box Score

Don May posted:

LOSERS TAKE 2-0 SERIES LEAD WITH 4-2 WIN

Rockford- It might have been a nice story if Sonny Siebert were the one to stop the rampaging engine that is the Rockford Losers and taken home-field advantage in the series back for his team, but it was never going to be a true story.

The Losers started hot, scoring three runs in the bottom of the first inning and, once again, they were not impressed with the caliber of pitcher sent out by the Coburns. Siebert did manage to steady the ship after that first inning, but with Drysdale on the mound for the Losers, the damage had already been done, and the Coburns just could not come back from that early deficit. Drysdale, in particular, proved to be a tough draw for the Coburns' squad, as their heart of the order can, at times, be vulnerable to the strikeout. While the strikeout total for the Coburns was a modest six in today's game, the threat of the strikeout was enough to provoke a certain amount of defensiveness in their plate approaches, which likely hurt the overall effectiveness of their team's offense.

Whatever the case, the Coburns now find themselves in a deep hole, and will need to win the next three games of the series in a row if they are to advance to the Dynamo League Championship series. For his part, Warm Sarsaparilla did not seem too concerned, "I have already told you how I felt about these losses: I welcome them. They test me, they make me doubt myself, and my lord. And every doubt that pops into my head is beaten back, and only serves to strengthen my faith. Because when Coburn leads us to three straight victories over the Losers, it will be so clear that his divine hand is guiding us that even the most hardened skeptic will be forced to question his most sacred beliefs. The world will have no choice to wonder if there just might be something beyond this temporal world, and the cynics will weep tears of joy that miracles can still happen. All of these things will happen, they must happen, and they could not happen if we had won this game. From the bitterest defeats grow the sweetest fruits...of VICTORY!"

Don Drysdale, who got the win, was not happy, raving at his post-game press conference, "The Coburns must die! I killed them myself, and they won't even give me the credit! I'll destroy them! I'll murder them! I'll rip them to tiny pieces! BLOOD! DEATH! KILL! DIE! DIE! DIE!"

Humungus then attempted to calm his pitcher, which mainly involved locking Drysdale into a sleeper hold and squeezing him into unconsciousness, "Sleep now, my dog of war, sleep and dream of your next combat, when we shall burn down the jungles of Burma. Sleep..." The unconscious Drysdale then slumped to the floor as Humungus began his own address of the media, "The time has come, Warm Sarsaparilla! I gave you two opportunities to yield to me! To surrender without bloodshed! But you rejected me! Mocked me with the talk of your 'god' and his so-called 'plan' for you! Spun stories that you intended these defeats to happen! That is sheer mendacity, Warm Sarsaparilla, and I will not tolerate it any further! There will be no more offers of surrender! In two days' time, my forces shall descend on Fort Sumner and we shall make war! It is not enough that we win this series, Warm Sarsaparilla, not any more! We need further compensation. We will march down to New Mexico and we shall steal the Intercontinental and Heavyweight Titles from your corpses. Yes, we will sweep you, and then you will learn that there is no power in this universe that is greater than me."

Game 3 will be a potential elimination game. If the Coburns lose, the series is over, and the Losers, in addition to advancing in the playoffs, will take the Coburns' Intercontinental and Heavyweight Championships. Tom Seaver will take the mound for the Losers, while the Coburns have elected to skip their own aged Tom Seaver and instead will start Greg Maddux in this do-or-die Game 3.

GAME NOTES

-The 2-through-5 hitters of the Coburns' lineup went 2-for-14 in today's game with three walks and only one extra-base hit. If the Coburns are going to survive, that cannot happen again in Game 5.

-Davey Lopes was used as a pinch-hitter in today's game. It would take a baseball scientist to explain why in Coburn's name that happened.

-Frank Robinson tried to steal a base, which had as much chance of succeeding as if Frank Robinson had tried to eat the sun.

Box Score

Don May posted:

ARMAGEDDON IN FORT SUMNER! LOSERS WIN 5-3, SERIES OVER!

Fort Sumner- Even at the end, the Coburns had a chance, but it definitely did not feel like much of one.

The Losers sent the game into the bottom of the ninth inning holding a 5-1 lead. As had become tradition in this series, they had gotten out to a quick start, and simply bullied the Coburns into submission with dominating pitching and timely hitting. It certainly looked as though the series was over.

And yet, you could almost see the potential comeback on the edge of the horizon. The heart of the Coburns' lineup was due up, and John Smoltz had already pitched the eighth inning and was a bit more tired than was ideal. But when Rod Carew lined out to start things off, it definitely seemed more like a mirage than anything real. For one more moment, though, the Coburns reminded us all of how they had won 96 games in the regular season. Mel Ott hit a long double and then Jimmie Foxx hit an even longer home run to bring the Coburns within two runs. And now the greatest hitter that ever was strode to the plate. Ted Williams was here, and the Losers were about to pay for their arrogance.

But Humungus could see his doom writ large, and resolved to change his fate. He immediately left the dugout and pulled Smoltz from the game. It was no reflection on his closer, who had already done good work for his team, but a recognition that a talent on the level of Ted Williams needed to be treated with the utmost care. From his bullpen, he called Randy Myers, his best left-handed reliever, to deal with the left-handed Williams. If the Losers were going to lose this game, it would not be for lack of effort on his part.

Myers battled Ted Williams. He knew that Williams wanted to drive the ball, cut the lead in half with one swing. He also knew that striking Ted Williams was close to impossible. Instead he threw pitch after pitch right on the edge of the strike zone, hoping to induce a ball that his fielders could catch. Eventually, to the surprise of all, he got it, as Williams grounded out to Joe Cronin, and the Coburns were now just one out from death. Mike Schmidt was up next, and he too had a chance to drive one right out of the park, but he was too eager to begin the at-bat and popped up the first offering from Randy Myers to end the game.

Warm Sarsaparilla had a look of abject despair on his face, watching his dreams turn to ruin before his eyes. That lasted until he was seized by several members of the Rockford Losers, and dragged to the visitor's locker room. At that point, the only emotion on his face was that of terror.

Several minutes later, Humungus emerged from that locker room rolling a giant wagon wheel to which Warm Sarsaparilla had been nailed. Humungus then told the shocked reporters that, "I apologize for the crude imagery, but I am not well-versed in the symbols and rituals of the worship of James Coburn. Then again, after this," gesturing to the broken and bloody body of Warm Sarsaparilla, "I suppose it is an academic point, as I believe that this sect is at its end. Now, then, Warm Sarsaparilla, I demand you tell the reporters here what you think of your god now?"

"H-Help" was all that Warm Sarsaparilla could muster.

"Help?" Humungus said with a laugh, "You attempted to defeat an unstoppable team such as mine with the likes of Sonny Siebert and Bert Blyleven and you think there is something out there that can help you now? No. I think not. There is no help for one such as yourself, one that turned his back on my offer of peace and laughed at the majesty of my starting rotation! There is one pain and, some day, a very long time from now, the possibility of the sweet release of death."

Warm Sarsaparilla then summoned all of his remaining energy, "Coburn...save us!" before passing out from the pain.

"Viscount Slim!" Humungus had lost interest in Warm Sarsaparilla now, "I have heard that you have outlasted the Unicorns. My congratulations to you. And now I ask that you do the responsible thing, both for yourself and for your team, and just give up. There is no hope for you, just as there was no hope for the Coburns. Do not come to Rockford, unless you wish for the same fate to befall you as befell them. Consider my words, Viscount Slim, I give you full two days to surrender before I will take up arms against you."

Box Score

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I still hate the Losers. I also have the Super-League anthem stuck in my head and a brief foray into wikipedia shows how apt the song really is.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
Heh. That writeup was dark and awesome. Right at home in an episode of Metalocalypse.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

oldskool posted:

I still hate the Losers.
:glomp: I love my old punching bag oldskool.

Also

:siren: Playoff Pick Em Scores :siren:

Thanks to nailing this DLDS result, Zodiac breaks mentholmoose's hold on first place.

pre:
Owner	Score
Zodiac5000	        27
mentholmoose	        19
mks5000	                19
kw0134	                15
Robert_Deadford	        13
Monicro	                11
CaptainYesterday	10
Chilly McFreeze	        10
oldskool	        10
Beet	                 9
GVOLTT	                 9
Revenant Threshold	 9
FairGame	         8
TheFlyingLlama	         6
alpha_destroy	         4
factorialite	         4
tatankatonk	         4

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Expansion Cup 9: Skip to the End.

So, this update is going to work a little bit differently. Instead of Games of the Month and the like, I'm going to do some decent analysis of all your teams. The pros, the cons, and what to look for in the draft.

I will stress this to newbie owners. Almost all of you are going to need to look for pitching. While bats are impressive, most of you accidentally took the hard route because most teams relegated in the first 2-3 rounds (which the Dispersal Draft draws from) are relegated not because they have bad hitters, but bad pitching. And a lot of people are hesitant to trade pitchers to you for this reason, unless you give them a preposterously good deal.

Above all else? Do not trade Draft picks unless it is an extraordinarily good deal. We're talking at least one Super League tested superstar involved in the deal at least. As an example, I traded my Dispersal Draft pick and my Superdraft Pick for Willie McCovey and Juan Marichal, neither of which lived up to their expectations. In response, the person I traded them to, cbx, got Ted Williams and... Hank Aaron, I believe? I can't really recall. Point is, the deal effectively was two pretty good guys for two legendary players. If you are planning to trade your draft picks for any reason, ask one of the veterans, or Smasher, if you're getting a good deal. They will be relatively honest with you,

*Senerio will always tell you not to trade, and Cthulhu can generally be trusted to give you decent advice on a trade unless he's making you an offer. Don't trade with Cthulhu!

Without further ado...

Final Divisional Standings

Team Statistics and Analysis

Analysis

The Good: Two and a Half Otts worked like a charm, and they're all lefty bats who are sure to get you a ton of runs in the Super League proper.
The Bad: The rest of your rotation doesn't look so hot. Dan Uggla, Cody Ross, and Ronny Paulino are definitely going to need to be replaced. And your pitching is kind of a nightmare, but is not nearly as bad as some other people's.
The Ugly: There is no way you're going to find a decent replacement for Cody with your dispersal draft pick. You'll probably be able to get Uggla and maybe Paulino... if you don't spend your best picks on Pitching.
What You're Looking For: SP, 2B, C, LF
Final Score: Larkin-Jordan Divisional Champions

Analysis

The Good: You were able to withstand a preposterous amount of pitching injuries that probably won't happen again in the SL proper. Your offense is pretty decent.
The Bad: Your pitching, despite being tenacious, isn't entirely great. Okay, but it's not going to be winning you games single-handedly. Terry Kennedy is going to need to be replaced in some manner, as he is a gaping hole defensively, and doesn't have nearly a good enough bat to make up for that. Sixto isn't much better in this regard. Chili isn't good but he'll suffice for now.
The Ugly: You are probably not looking at this level of success in the Super-League, and the sooner you accept that, the better off you'll be. This team consistently surprised me with how well they did, and while you may be more than the sum of your parts, a lot of your parts aren't entirely awe-inspiring.
What You're Looking For: C, SP, LF
Final Score: Larkin-Hopp Division: 3rd Place

A formality, as Bruizer went and got himself ejected through the Bombers vs Oranges challenge. See you soon, Bruizer!

Analysis

The Good: Despite being in last place, you hit the most dingers out of everyone in Larkin-Hopp, so you're not at a want for those at all. The Say Hey Kid is going to carry you pretty far in the league, and Chipper Jones and Greg Vaughn are pretty decent as well.
The Bad: Dan Uggla, for all his bat heft here, is still a defensive black hole, so if you're thinking about putting him in as a position player, don't. Castillo is not much better. Your pitching is consistently below average, with poor Burnett there still getting the worst of it.
The Ugly: 1B is probably Chipper Jones' third best position, and Michael Bourn is simply not hitting enough for a corner outfielder. Your lineup is alo kind of a mess, with your best hitters a bit scattered around. I'd look at shifting your lineups a bit before the Super-League.
What You're Looking For: SP, 2B, C
Final Score: Larkin-Hopp Division: 6th Place

Analysis

The Good: You had absolutely no main hitters who didn't have a less that .300 OBA, got getting on base, your guys are drat good, and you've got enough dingers to support that. Your pitching is decent enough to get by, and you have a lot of guys who are pretty versatile in a lot of positions.
The Bad: For how good you did, you don't have any killer app guys, which could be something to look towards in the draft, either on the hitting or pitching front.
The Ugly: For his low BA, Morgan deserves to be right up there with Mauer. I ran Morgan and Mauer as an on-base combo in the Catastrophes, and they worked excellently. What I'm saying is reevaluate where your guys are the best at, both in your lineup and at their position, and make edits accordingly.
What You're Looking For: Big name bats/sluggers, mid-ranged SP.
Final Score: Larkin-Hopp Divisional Champions

Analysis

The Good: Good top half of your lineup. Good amount of home runs. Good ability to get on base. Also a pretty decent infield from what I can infer.
The Bad: Pitching, pitching, pitching! Your pitching is among probably the worst in the league, which is why you're getting the first pick, and it's absolutely going to get you relegated if you keep it as-is.
The Ugly: Carlos Lee is a defensive black hole, but his bat is hefty enough to make it appealing to keep him there. Look through your lineup and see if there might be some reordering in order between your guys with OBA but low HR and your guys with loads of HR but lower OBA.
What You're Looking For: SP, RP
Final Score: Larkin-Jordan: 6th Place

Analysis

The Good: Your pitching actually evened out to be not completely terrible, and Prince Albert isn't horrendously broken!
The Bad: You have literally no defense, and you need someone else to carry your offense.
The Ugly: Eck is still not getting a break, and Molina does not have the defensive stats to back up his poor bat. Phil Bradley doesn't hit nearly enough for a corner outfielder. You need more offense and you need it pretty badly.
What You're Looking For: LF, any good bat you can grab
Final Score: Downing-Rainwater, 3rd Place.

Analysis

The Good: Decent dinger count, decent defense for a Super-League team, decent pitching.
The Bad: Everyone who isn't hitting dingers isn't getting on base enough to help your team, and even Mike Schmidt with his 25 HRs probably needs to go, considering how much he's whiffing. Ron Gant absolutely does. You still need better pitching even if it's alright.
The Ugly: 3B is shallow as hell in the draft, and while you have a high pick, you will probably get called an idiot if you don't draft Babe Ruth or Barry Bonds, considering your need for a hefty bad in the corner.
What You're Looking For: LF, 3B, SP
Final Score: Downing-Yoshida: 4th Place

Analysis

The Good: Lots of on-base power with some good defensive power.
The Bad: Absolutely zero home-run power outside of Andre Thornton. You seriously need some dinger potential in the ranks, somehow, someway.
The Ugly: Mordecai Brown is still woefully untested, and it looks like he'll stay that way until you have to use him in the SL.
What You're Looking For:: ANY good sluggers.
Final Score: Larkin-Hopp, 5th Place

Analysis

The Good: A pretty good offense that strikes a good balance of OBA and dinger-hitting.
The Bad: No defensive ability, and sub-par pitching ability.
The Ugly: Bob Feller is good for maybe 80 Innings in the Super-League proper, and while you do need your fair share of pitching, you could honestly stand to have an upgrade anywhere, so use your best judgement.
What You're Looking For: SP, RP, Anything Ele
Final Score: Larkin-Jordan: 4th Place

Analysis

The Good: Pretty consistently high on-base average, :siren:good pitching:siren:, good defense.
The Bad: You could also probably stand to find one more slugger, and Dave Concepion doesn't do too hot in the SL.
The Ugly: Your bullpen is going to cost you a ton of games, even with Eck as your closer, which is why you'll likely be consistently under your pythag until the end of the season.
What You're Looking For: SS, RP
Final Score: Downing-Yoshida: 3rd Place

Analysis

The Good: Three good on-base guys, and two good dinger machines.
The Bad: Your pitching could stand to be a little better, though you probably have one of the best closers. Seminick is going to need to be replaced if he doesn't shape up either defensively or offensively.
The Ugly: Ryne Sandberg vastly underperformed, hopefully he should do better in the SL.
What You're Looking For: C, SP
Final Score: Larkin-Hopp: 2nd Place

Invalidated, due to the consequences of the Bombers v Oranges matchup. Good luck to the Florida Oranges in Super League X!

Analysis

The Good: Pretty excellent pitching, and good OBA.
The Bad: Defensively mediocre.
The Ugly: Between the upping of pitching between EC and SL and your intentions to switch to a pitchers park, there's no way your offense is going to ever match these numbers. I'd say try and beef that up as much as you can. I'm still not sure whether you should actually move out of the Baker Bowl or not. It might be worth trying it for a month to see how badly it backfires before switching to a pitcher's park.
What You're Looking For: Sluggers
Final Score: Larkin-Jordan: 2nd Place

If nothing else, an interesting thought experiment to see how someone who is Super-League savvy can take a bad team and make them fairly good.

Analysis

The Good: Dingers. Lots and lots of dingers.
The Bad: Boots Day, Clyde McCullough, pitching past #2. The lack of an owner.
The Ugly: If uublog doesn't post in the thread soon, I'm going to eject the Squirrel Flyers from the draft.
What You're Looking For: C, CF, SP
Final Score: Larkin-Jordan: 3rd Place.

Analysis

The Good: A good combination of on-base abilities and slugging potential.
The Bad: You can probably use maybe one upgrade to the middle of your rotation.
The Ugly: Realistically, you're probably not looking at many upgrades in the Dispersal Draft. Shore up what you can, take a look to see if there's any major things you overlooked while setting up the team, and enjoy the playoff writeups. Also, pray that Ott and Snider don't underperform again.
What You're Looking For: Upgrades whereever possible.
Final Score: Downing-Yoshida Divisional Champions.

Analysis

The Good: A couple pieces of your offense, and maybe one or two pitchers.
The Bad: Your offense. It just does not generate enough runs to survive in the Super-League, and your pitching, while not the worst, is still going to need some work. You're also looking at sub defenders in most of your lineup.
The Ugly: There is no way you are going to be able to fill all your holes over the course of the Dispersal Draft, so figure out which ones you think matter the most and save the rest for the Super-Draft.
What You're Looking For: SS, C, SP
Final Score: Downing-Rainwater: 5th Place.

Analyis

The Good: High OBA, Dingers out of 5/8ths of your guys, a pitching rotation with at least two sub-3 guys, and a not-quite atrocious bullpen.
The Bad: A couple of your pitchers didn't do so hot in the end. May want to shuffle them around.
The Ugly: Two of the three places you could look for a decent upgrade, SP1-2 and 3B, are some of the weakest pools in the draft. In all honesty, you're probably going to draft the best upgrade you can in the first round and then shore up your backups everywhere else.
What You're Looking For: LF, SP1-2, 3B
Final Score: Downing-Rainwater Divisional Champions

Analysis

The Good: Lots of on-base guys, decent amount of dingers. The fact that your backup guys maintained a .500 going into the last few months.
The Bad: NOT ENOUGH DINGERS! Also you can definitely use an upgrade at 1B. Also, your pitching is going to let you down a lot, but all your worst guys are mid-rotation, which is decently deep in the draft.
The Ugly: Your final lineup is a little scattered, I'd work on revising it for SL proper.
What You're Looking For: 1B, SP3-5
Final Score: Larkin-Hopp: 4th Place

Analysis

The Good: Decent tanking effort!
The Bad: A pretty measly offense, but you were tanking for about 4/5ths of the EC, so. Also your pitching is still kind of bad.
The Ugly: Poor Johnny Hopp, he only sees play when there's no other good options.
What You're Looking For: 2B, probably.
Final Score: Downing-Rainwater: Fourth Place.

Analysis

The Good: Despite everything, your offense put up an inspiring amount of dingers!
The Bad: Your pitching is going to need some serious re-working. Like. Complete overhaul.
The Ugly: You need a 3B, and there are only two really good ones in the draft. But if you don't draft Bonds or Ruth, you'll probably be called out on it.
What You're Looking For: 3B, Bonds/Ruth/etc.
Final Score: Downing-Yoshida: 5th Place

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

In lieu of making drastic changes to the lineup, I think a safe move is to make Earl Moore the number four pitcher, putting Red Donahue as mopup. Moore's just a superior pitcher this iteration.

Also :woop:

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.

Yay, I won my division, and I'm in the playo---no, not Mike Sweeney!

Err, umm...he was my backup catcher, as well as preferred designated hitter. Now I guess that Juan Chide character has to be called up just in case, even though he shouldn't have been on my team in the first place.

And I guess since he's healthy now, call up Dan Plesac, put him in middle relief, and send down Ken Johnson.

Everything else - stand pat, aside from my batting lineup:

1. Paul Molitor (3B)
2. Joe Mauer (C)
3. Carlos Beltran (CF)
4. Justin Morneau (1B)
5. Luis Gonzalez (LF)
6. Robin Yount (SS)
7. Jermaine Dye (RF)
8. Joe Morgan (2B)
9. Luis Castillo (DH)

Not sure if I should create a second lineup since Paul Molitor will miss the first couple of games, but I guess it's not a huge deal. Whatever the case, Michael Cuddyer should be starting in his place for just those 2 games, if BBM doesn't automatically do that for whatever reason.

EDIT: If there is a championship round after this...well, I don't see my lineup changing anyway, aside from putting Luis Castillo on the bench for non-DH games.

GVOLTT fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 6, 2013

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

So when/how do I draft?

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

FairGame posted:

So when/how do I draft?

After the playoffs and Gauntlet are over, the draft sheet will be posted in the thread, and when it's your turn on the sheet, you just post whatever player you want in the thread.

e: I don't think it'll be for at least another week.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Okay regardless of what happens this season, the Cultists are going to need an impact corner outfield bat, and/or some relief pitching. I would like to buy an early 2nd / late first pick, or a late 2nd / early 3rd pick, or those things directly. Please contact me in IRC for offers.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Playoffs lineup:

w/DH
#1 Hanley Ramirez SS
#2 Mel Ott RF
#3 Stan Musial LF
#4 Mel Ott CF
#5 Ken Boyer 3B
#6 Dan Uggla 2B
#7 Bill Terry 1B
#8 Andres Galarraga DH
#9 Gus Mancuso C

w/o DH
#1 Hanley Ramirez SS
#2 Mel Ott RF
#3 Stan Musial LF
#4 Mel Ott CF
#5 Ken Boyer 3B
#6 Dan Uggla 2B
#7 Andres Galarraga 1B
#8 Gus Mancuso C
#9 Pitcher

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

107-57. Not really sure why the game thinks I played 164 games but whatever. I guess we'll make a few tweaks for the playoffs:

SP1 Kid Nichols
SP2 Vic Willis
SP3 Paul Derringer
SP4 Frank Tanana
Mopup Warren Spahn

I'll save you the trouble of having to modify four sets of lineups and just not bother to make any changes. My offensive engine seems to work sufficiently well.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

ToiletofSadness
Viscount Slim
CthulhuDreams
Senerio
mrnoun

The time draws near. In just one week's time, give or take a day, one of your teams will become the new Super-League Champion.

But is that enough?

For some of you, this glory may be enough to satisfy you, perhaps that and the promise of more such championships to come in future seasons. But for others, you see this as proof that it is time to leave the Super-League behind, and ascend to still greater challenges. Which is right and which is wrong is impossible to say, and I will make no attempt to tell you what you should think in such a circumstance.

What I can do, however, is offer you a chance at Super-League immortality. Winning a Super-League title is quite the accomplishment, but it is not a unique accomplishment. It has been done eight times before this season, and it will be done once a season for so long as this league keeps going. There is something, though, that no team has ever been able to do, a challenge so incredible that no team has yet survived it. I refer, of course, to the Macho Men challenge.

The rules are simple. If your team should win the Super-League championship, you are entitled, as a matter of right, to challenge the Macho Men to a best-of-nine series. If your team wins, it will be remembered as the greatest Super-League team that ever was. If it should falter, it must surely die, for the Macho Men leave no survivors.

I ask you owners still in the playoffs one simple question: Are you ready to stare into the face of Macho Madness?

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
it's going to be the Luna Landers, why are we even pretending otherwise

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

CraigK posted:

it's going to be the Luna Landers, why are we even pretending otherwise

I Believe In the Mercuries

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
I believe you know my answer already, Herr Kommissar.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Smasher Dynamo posted:

ToiletofSadness
Viscount Slim
CthulhuDreams
Senerio
mrnoun

I ask you owners still in the playoffs one simple question: Are you ready to stare into the face of Macho Madness?

No. The Queens Mercuries have already been relegated by the Macho Men, and are not ready for more.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

ie, for the Macho Men leave no survivors.

I'm kinda torn - I feel like I'm the second best team in the Smasher league, let alone the super league. I guess I'm the 1926 athletics, except instead of Jim Poole and Chick Galloway I have Ancient Stan Musial and Phil Coke. I'm probably a pitcher and one other piece from being a good challenge for the macho men.

On the other hand, I feel like you should play anyway, 'cause choking up the league is rude. I guess I need more time to think about it, but I'm leaning no.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

I'm willing to entertain offers on any part of my roster and unused feeders now except Aaron, Bench, and Morgan. If you're looking for good players that aren't so deep in the draft, I have lots of any-OFs and SL-quality players avaliable at every position besides 2B. I also have a lot of lefty bats, and EC-tested lefty bats, at that (a lot of whom have already played in some age in the SL already, to good result).

I'm looking for left-handed pitching, both starting and relief, and big bats.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Does Charleston's and Ryan's injuries carry over into a hypothetical match up against the Macho Men or would I get them back?

One other question about my upcoming "Gold Rush" DLCS against the Imperialists: are they any in-game off days before the start of that series or are we both going with our #4 starters for the first game?

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

ToiletofSadness posted:

Does Charleston's and Ryan's injuries carry over into a hypothetical match up against the Macho Men or would I get them back?

One other question about my upcoming "Gold Rush" DLCS against the Imperialists: are they any in-game off days before the start of that series or are we both going with our #4 starters for the first game?

I think there are off days, because you both swept your opponents.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

So I guess I have the #2 pick in the draft coming up.

Meaning I'm either going to have a Ser Barrold or Babe loving Ruth.

That's pretty awesome.

However, 1 guy--however incredible--does not fix my poo poo roster.

I need mutliple starting pitchers and a 3b. Desperately. If you want to make an offer, by all means, please do.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

We must defeat the Football Manager thread!

You know, I was already ready to write your obit. It was going to be me criticizing Babylon 5 for a good long time, but, well, you didn't die. Let's see if we can't fix that next round, okay?

Grinnblade died in a Belorussian prison.

Panda magic can never die! NEVER!

We had joy, we had fun, but the Twinfield always sucked, and that's why your team is dead.

Pick 'em: Until the End of Time!
Pick ONE! and then pick ANOTHER ONE!
Barons
Canton Catastrophes
Oneida Mighty Spooners
Sad Pandas

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.

Barons
Canton Catastrophes
Oneida Mighty Spooners
Sad Pandas

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Barons
Canton Catastrophes
Oneida Mighty Spooners
Sad Pandas

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

As someone who's never seen Babylon Five but always heard good things about it, how would it hold up these days? Compare favorably to BSG?

Related to the games: jesus christ my hitting :wow:

Has anyone ever made a stadium that hosed with things as much as mine has?

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Owner: CVE
Home Grounds: Money, Inc. Arena

Teams Used:
1916 Yankees
1903 Tigers
1975 White Sox
1976 Cubs
1903 Cubs

A list of communications between CVE and Ted DiBiase, known as the "Million Dollar Man" in the World Wrestling Federation of the 1980's and 1990's, as well as assorted communications in the organization.

February 25th
To: CVE

Hey, I hear you're bringing back the Million Dollar Man gimmick, but instead of using it in the WWE, you're applying it towards a baseball team? Y'know, I -actually- made a Million Dollars. Several million, in fact. I think you should contact me about a... partnership.

To: TDB

Ja, ich bin mit dem "Million Dollar Man" Gimmick. Ich wäre sehr daran interessiert, zur Gründung einer Partnerschaft mit dem Original. Was würde ich tun, um Ihre Hilfe zu gewinnen?

Damnit, I don't understand die Deutschen! You've gotta find a translator before we do anything. I'll pay you 100,000 if you can find a translator who has a nice rack...

February 27th

Yes, Herr DiBiase. I have, with your very generous promise of 100.000 DM, established a quite, erm... wollüstigen female who will help us communicate.

Hahahaha, you thought I meant 100,000 of your DoucheMarks? I meant 100,000 cents! That's only 100 Dollars, you dumbass! Still. I don't know what that w word you put down was, so you better send pictures to verify her employment.

Ach, my apologies, Herr DiBiase. Here is your proof. So, can we begin our partnership?

Sure, buddy. That's one fine lookin' translator. Alright, so, here's the deal. You can make this baseball team, and use my image and my gimmick, as long as you can make the playoffs. Everyone knows that a team only really starts making money when they hit the playoffs. If you make the playoffs, I'll give you the rights to my image and let you keep the royalties for as long as your team exists, and all you have to do is pay me the profits from that playoff period. If they don't make the playoffs... you owe me 50 million dollars, US. Do we have a deal?

Ja, we have a deal. My translator says thank you for the compliment and maybe she could meet you for a drink and a "sexy time" when next we meet. I do not know what this "sexy time" is. I shall begin the assembly of the "Million Dollar Men" immediately. I have arranged for the Chicago Cubs and Detroit Tigers of 1903, the St. Louis Browns of 1906, the New York Yankees of 1916, the Chicago White Sox of 1975 and the Chicago Cubs of 1976 to hold tryouts here in Nuremburg, wherein I will choose a team from the standouts and hold the rest in cold storage in Berlin. I have faith that with these men who are not accustomed to high pay, I will establish a ruthless baseball club who will trample the competition and create a high profit margin, benefitting us both.

Sounds like a plan.

March 2nd

So, mein Herr, I have established the starting roster of your namesake and will be forwarding the documents to you shortly. I am greatly antcipating your arrival in Nuremburg for Opening Day, as is my translator. She says that she will "wear something special" for our session together.

Attached: MDM-SLIX-Roster.docx

To: SL IX MDM Roster

Listen up you jobbers. I'm prepared to make you guys richer than your wildest dreams, if you'll only do as I say when I say it. Keep an eye out for my communications, alright?

May 26th

So far, we have not had the greatest amount of success, but we did win the TV Championship! Could I trouble you for a small monetary reward?

Sure. I'll give you 500,000 US Dollars if you can bounce this ball 20 times.

How would I do this? I am in Nuremburg and you are in Miami, Florida?

Well, I guess you don't get the money then. Hahahahaha! Oh yeah, show this message to your translator: "I bought you some lingerie. When I stop by Nuremburg for the Super-League Draft, you're going to model it for me. Also, make sure your boss is out knocking down the Berlin Wall or tripping children or whatever it is he does for fun."

June 1st

Herr DiBiase, we have successfully completed the draft portion of the Super-League season. We drafted a strange looking fellow by the name of Hanley Ramirez, as well as a gentleman known as Goose. I do believe that these acquisitions will propel us to success in the Super-League from here on.

To: MDM-SLIX-Roster

Alright, it's time to start some forced "vacations".

June 10th
To: sutterbruce4240@juno.com

I'll pay you 125,000 dollars to take a 12 day vacation. Enjoy yourself.

June 30th
To: Urban Shocker STOP

I will pay you 75,000 dollars to go visit your grave site for 12 days STOP Watch out for any toasters STOP

July 21st
To: cullopinghorsie73@aol.com

On your porch is a "gift". Please open the "gift". Yours, Teddy D.

I do not understand, Herr DiBiase. Our baseball club is suffering from a rash of injuries, tiredness, and obesity. They claim that they are enjoying something called "poutine" and that it's causing them to be fatigued and gain weight, yet they can not resist the pull of the Canadian delicacy. At this rate, I feel that I must begin contacting my creditors to gather the money that I will owe you. Is there anything you can do to help?

I thought you had this all under control? You told me this was gonna be a good team. You said that they'd be a ruthless baseball club that would trample the competition and provide a high profit margin. I'm losing faith in you, CVE. Get it together, son. Otherwise, I'm sending Virgil to "collect". Also, I'm taking your translator once the season's done. She's too cute to be slumming with you.

September 30th

I am sorry, Herr DiBiase. The team has failed, and I have failed. They finished 67-95. I am a broken man, but I am a man of my word. I am wiring you 50 million US Dollars as we speak, and I apologize for this season. Auf wiedersehn.

To: MDM SLIX Roster

Hahahahaha! Excellent work, gentlemen! Now, you can come to my beachside resort here in Miami to collect your money. But first, you'll each have to complete a simple task I have for you...

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Barons
Canton Catastrophes
Oneida Mighty Spooners
Sad Pandas

Let's go Pandas and Spooners!

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Oneida Mighty Spooners
Sad Pandas

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

FairGame posted:

I need mutliple starting pitchers and a 3b. Desperately. If you want to make an offer, by all means, please do.
Would you be interested in a '75 Buddy Bell or same-year Tony Perez?

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

FairGame posted:

That's pretty awesome.

I've got multiple starting pitchers available. Christy Mathewson could be had for the right price. Contact me in IRC or through PMs.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

FairGame posted:

That's pretty awesome.

Don't trade Dispersal Draft Picks.

Also don't trade but that's much less general (read: loving universal) advice!

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Man I sound like such a kiss-rear end in that obit (which to be honest I would probably be in such a situation). Nice work cbx or how I would say in german: Vielen Dank für diesen erinnerungsträchtigen Nachruf cbx.

I however have seen the mistake on my part that I tried to run a baseball team to far from it's source so I may have to move to America with my next team (or find an equally ridiculous place like the Mountain Base of the Pandas). I heard Calgary is nice this time of the year and a lot friendlier than the States. Now I have to set up a meeting with the Excellence of Execution for a potential new team.

The other option obviously would be heading for Ravnui and meet with Lukav Minaev to discuss the idea of fielding a team composed of Imaginary Number version of baseball players (then again the Skyhawks already had that gimmick).

Other than that I could also try to come up with an actual unique and new gimmick that may even be fun to write for but this would require work on my part. decisions, decisions....

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Man, my German is rough. I had to look up the last segment of that thank you, CVE. I think I'd be better at remembering German if I had someone around all the time to talk to.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

cbx posted:

Man, my German is rough. I had to look up the last segment of that thank you, CVE. I think I'd be better at remembering German if I had someone around all the time to talk to.

That's basically true for all languages in my opinion. Granted my english is mainly kept alive through forum discussions, talking with exchange students and movies so I would say my formal english is probably a mess (not to mention my grammar). I also forgot almost every little thing I knew about french since I had no one to speak it with so I can at most form basic sentences now.

Also there is the thing with the german language that our grammar doesn't make sense. I'm thankful it's my first langugage but when I had to explain certain things to an exchange student I just had to shrug my shoulder and say that it's all experience speaking not actual knowledge why something is used that way with der, die, das being the biggest offenders (the english "the" is so much nicer). Afterall It's Der Panzer despite it being a thing (and logic dictating it should be Das Panzer), same with Die Schule (it's a thing so it should be Das Schule) or Das Kind (which is obviously not a thing...)

And that's already far more words than I wanted to lose about german and languages in general...

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Detective Don Slaught was loving tired. It was going to be a long season...

Owner: Archie Goodwin
Home Grounds: Bourbon Field

Teams Used
1954 New York Giants
1978 California Angels
1995 Cincinnati Reds
1989 Philadelphia Phillies

Past Records
Expansion Cup VI
93-69, 2nd Place, Skyhawks Division
Super-League VII
78-84, 3rd Place, Dies Irae Division, Gauntletted
Gauntlet VI
Round 8: 16-24, 3rd Place, Relegated
Defeated Wausau Woodchucks 3-2 in "Life vs. Death Challenge", Resurrected
Super-League VIII
98-64, Senor Goodtimes Division Champions
Lost to Finger Lakes Phoenixes 2-3 in SLDS
Super-League IX
68-94, 6th Place, Senor Goodtimes Division, Gauntletted
Gauntlet VIII
Round 1: 21-19, 2nd Place, Survived
Round 2: 18-22, 3rd Place, Relegated

Championship History
1x Larkin-Downing Champions
1x Heavyweight Champions
3x Television Champions
1x Hardcore Champions
1x Senor Goodtimes Division Champions

Living and Dying At the Top of the World
The Last Det. Don Slaught Story

Chapter 1 - Blood on Bourbon Street

It was cold and rainy that night. It's always cold and rainy this time of year in San Francisco. Some days, a trench coat just doesn't seem enough in the face of all of this rain.

I had spent the night at Mullaney's, a hole in the wall down Bourbon Street. It's a rathole of a bar, but the whiskey's cheap and no one asks questions. Which is good, because I sure as hell don't have any answers. I was shaky, I'll admit that. Just two hours before I'd been standing in The Thornton Lee's living room looking at the 30% of Lee that had been left intact. Twenty years in the detective game, and even I was sick to my stomach. Something hadn't just wanted Lee dead, it had wanted him obliterated. The walls were covered with blood and gore, pieces of my old friend from the Gumshoes dripping down the walls. This wasn't just mindless brutality. No, to do this much damage to a person, it had to be something else. I didn't know what at the time, and I was grateful.

The whiskey hadn't helped. Every time I closed my eyes, I could still see Lee in pieces. And for what? Lee was never the greatest pitcher in the world, hell, he spent most of his time on the Gumshoes riding the bench. Who would want him dead. It didn't make any damned sense. I finished my fifth whiskey and decided to head back to my office. I was going to get the mook who did this to Lee, but I wasn't going to do it tonight. I needed to rest, and I needed to think. I couldn't ignore the possibility that someone was trying to ice all of the Gumshoes, and I had a pretty good idea who it was. But I was in no condition to deal with that, not tonight.

Unlocking the door to the room I rented, calling it an office give it more credit than it deserved, I noticed a smell, a bad one. It was the smell of blood and guts, a smell just like I had smelled in Lee's living room earlier that day. It was the smell of murder. Turning on the light, I saw my office covered in blood. I was sweating now, Lee was bad enough, but at least that was in his own house. This was a hell of a lot closer to home. The head was completely gone, or, looking at the ceiling, had somehow been blown apart. The torso was still mostly intact, although there looked to be a nasty looking wound on the front, near the heart. I'm not a profiler, I'm not the guy from Red Dragon, I don't pretend to understand why people murder each other, and I don't care how they do it, or if they're trying to send some message or what. A dead body is a dead body, and it doesn't make a drat bit of difference whether the person who did it had a bad childhood, or didn't get enough love from his parents or what. It's not like it's going to bring the dead back to life.

Still, I had to know who this corpse was, and I had to do it fast. The cops would probably should up eventually, I'd think, I mean, this level of mayhem, odds are somewhat heard it. Touching the body to move it around, poor form when you're investigating a crime scene, I know, I noticed it was still luke-warm. Whatever had happened, it hadn't happened too long ago. Turning the hunk of what had been a man around so that I could get a better look at its back, to see if there were any wounds, a card fell out of the pocket and drifted into the pool of blood that had settled on the floor. I was suddenly very glad that I never got this place carpeted. You'd never be able to get the stains out. It occurred to me that I was never going to get that security deposit back now. It's funny what you think about in times like this. Two men had just been brutally murdered, and I was worried about a $200 check. Some heroic detective I was.

I picked up the card and my blood ran cold. There wasn't any face, so I couldn't no for sure, but in my heart, I now knew who this body, well, more like a carcass now, I knew who it was. Brian Downing was dead, and if I didn't get to the bottom of this case, and soon, I'd be joining him.

Chapter 2 - Bruised in Brooklyn

I hate Brooklyn. I think most people do. I go to Brooklyn and I see a place that used to be so quintessentially American, home to dozens of working class neighborhoods. People just trying to get by in the jungle that was New York City. It wasn't a glamorous place, and it certainly wasn't "hip". It was a place where people went about their day-to-day business, doing serious work and going home to their families. Of course, no one ever really dreamed of that sort of blue-collar lifestyle. No one really wanted to work those kind of jobs for that kind of pay, but they did it nonetheless. That was just the way life was.

It's different now, though. The rich have decided that the poor and middle classes no longer deserve to live in Brooklyn, and with their billionaire mayor backing them up, they've slowly muscled out the working class schmoes who made this place what it was. Of course, they didn't use real muscle. The rich don't need real muscle anymore, they just need the muscle that comes from bonds, stocks, and other things far more exotic. The mob drew its power from Sicily. The new breed of organized criminals, white collar to their core, get their help from the Cayman Islands and Switzerland.

But I wasn't here to settle things with the hipsters. No, I'd get even with them eventually for their appropriation of the badges and symbols of lower-class America for their own amusement, but that would have to wait. I had other plans. I cracked my knuckles thinking of what I was going to do. Brooklyn Bruiser wasn't a hard man to track. A guy like him, well, he tended to stand out. Which was good, because I didn't much feel like hunting for him. I ambushed him outside of his job, or maybe just some office where he hung out all day. Can't say I really know, and dragged him into an alley. "Bruiser," I said, "You've got to be about the dumbest man in creation!"

Bruiser was scared, "Detective Slaught? What are you-"

"Oh, surprised to see me?" I didn't care much for Bruiser's denial, and punched him in the gut to let him know. Must've gotten him right on the solar plexus, because he collapsed in a heap and struggled to get his wind back.

"I-I-I don't understand..."

I wasn't buying what he was selling, "You listen to me, and you listen good. Thornton Lee is dead. Brian Downing is dead. And that's just the ones I know about. Someone is 86ing the Gumshoes, and I think it's you. After all, you're still bitter about what we did to the Gumshoes, aren't you?"

Bruiser trembled, "It's not like that, I'm clean now, no challenges in months, I've been going to therapy, I've been in group, I'm not the same guy. I even have a girlfriend!"

I punched him in the face, just so he could understand this wasn't playtime. "Oh, you're clean now, are you? A little birdie told me that just last week you were down in Florida City gambling your team away to the Oranges. A junkie like you is never going to be clean, but you don't have the balls to blame yourself, so you've got to take it out on people stronger than you, people who don't make the same mistakes, and that's why you've been killing the Gumshoes! Admit it!"

"It's not like that, Don, it's not!"

I punched him again. When was he going to learn that I wasn't the mood for any of his lies? "I'm a reasonable man, Bruiser, but even I got my limits. We both know that if I just turned you in, you'd be back out on the streets in a week. So I ain't going to turn you in, I'm just going to do to you what you've done to all of my friends!"

Bruiser started tearing up, I guess he believed that I just might kill him this time. Honestly, I thought I might too. "I'm begging you, Don, I'm trying to get right, but Smasher, he keeps offering me these challenges, and I just can't help myself-"

Another punch. My hand was starting to hurt, but I was in no mood for any of this, "You're going to tell me what I want to hear, of so help me I will-"

I heard what sounded like a tinny version of the Kaiser Chiefs. It was awful as the Kaiser Chiefs are normally, actually. Bruiser looked down to his pants, "That's my phone." He said, looking surprised.

"Well, answer it."

Bruiser reached into his pocket and pulled out the phone, "Hello? I...I don't understand. How did you know that he was here?" Bruiser took the phone from his ear, and handed it to me, "He says he wants to talk to you."

I took the phone, at least I was making progress, "Who is this?" I growled. I had no patience left for this penny-ante bullshit.

"Detective Slaught. How good it is to hear your voice. You know, I've always been a big fan of you and your adventures." The voice sounded familiar, but I couldn't place it.

"Who is this?"

"Me? I'm just a man who wants to be your friend. I want to be everyone's friend."

"Who the hell is this?" Why couldn't things ever be easy?

The voice on the phone chuckled, "You'll know soon enough, detective. I know that you have many questions. So did Barry Larkin." I knew where this was going, and I didn't like it. "He had a good death, at least. I guess that he was almost resigned to it. After all, if Thornton Lee and Brian Downing went down so easily, what chance did he have?"

"I'm going to kill you, you son of a bitch!" How the hell had this happened? Any of this?

The voice laughed again, "Up in the mountains of China, there is an old Tibetan monastery. The monks are all gone, but Pander, you remember him, of course, has taken it as his home. Meet me there, detective, and you'll get your chance." The phone beeped to signal the end of the call. It used to click, but I guess that wouldn't make sense in today's digital age. Bruiser ran off, not even stopping to pick up his phone. It didn't matter. I knew that, one way or another, things were almost over.

Chapter 3 - Where Heaven Swallows the Earth

I never understood why China wanted to conquer Tibet at all. There's nothing up here worth taking. Hell, there's not ever enough air to breathe. I felt sick to my stomach as I hiked up the dirt trail to Pander's new "estate". The monks, back when they had lived here, had chosen the place because of its remoteness, the thought being that they could get away from it all up here. I've never been an ascetic myself, but after all of the blood and violence of the last few days, I was starting to see the appeal of a place where I could just rest and be alone. Maybe, after this was all over, I could take a vacation. God knows I'd earned it.

Pander hadn't done much remodeling since he took over, as his refuge was still appointed more as an ashram than a baseball stadium. Of course, it's probably not too easy to get a contractor up here. I approached the door, and knocked on it. A few minutes passed, and I noticed how could it was. Who the hell would want to live up here, anyway? Eventually, after what felt like hours, Pander opened the door and invited me in. "Don, it's good to see you! Come in, come in, Archie is already waiting for you in the foyer." I listened carefully, but Pander didn't sound like the voice on the phone. And if it wasn't him, then who was it? He said Archie Goodwin, the owner of the Gumshoes was there. But Archie....it couldn't have been him, could it?

"Pander, how did Archie seem to you?" I asked as we walked down the hall.

Pander stopped for a second to think, "Not terribly happy about the Gauntlet, but otherwise he seemed fine." Pander turned to look out a nearby window. The view was spectacular, as the nearby peaks pierced the cloud tops, as a green valley lay thousands of feet below. "It is humbling, isn't it?" Pander turned to me with a smile on his face, "You know, before I came here, I was stressed, anxious, the Super-League was no longer fun for me, it was just, well, work. But now that I've come up here, I feel renewed because when you look out there, and all the world beneath you. It helps you keep perspective."

We finished our walk in silence, I never had much of anything to say to Pander, even less now that he had become some sort of zen warrior. Entering the parlor, my nausea got worse. I could almost feel that something bad was about to happen. And it did, as, once again, I saw carnage played out before me. Archie Goodwin and I were never friends, exactly, but we had been through too much together for me not to have developed some attachment. And now he lay in pieces all over Pander's Persian rugs. This time, though, I wasn't going to let the perp get away, as I saw an open door at the back of the room, and footprints leading out into the snow. There'd be time to pick up the pieces later, but right now, I needed answers.

Running outside, a blast of chill air greeted me. I don't think I had ever felt as cold as I had in that moment. But I'd come this far, I wasn't going to turn back now. My right hand to the holster that I kept on my hip. It was a bitch and a half to get the gun past customs, but I had a feeling that I just might need it.

Eventually, that killer just ran out of room, running right to the edge of a crevasse. I finally had him. "Okay, friend, looks like it's over now." I was ready for this to end, but when I saw his face, I felt my stomach drop out. How could this be?

"Hello, detective, glad you could join me." Monathin said, cheery as ever.

"How?"

"Let me explain. You see, we both know that my Catastrophes weren't doing that well and that, if I just left nature to take its course, they would almost certainly be relegated. But I deserved better, I mean, I had given this thread so much...didn't I deserve to have my team live." Monathin adjusted his tie. "Of course, it was going to be a bit tricky to make that work. After all, teams like mine don't usually survive the Gauntlet, and Smasher certainly wasn't going to do me any favors at this point. So I had to make sure there was no chance I could fail. First, I took over the Expansion Cup. After all, that's where the team that was going to take the Catastrophes' place was going to come from. But what if there weren't enough teams that survived? What if, for whatever reason, too many new owners dropped out? Well, then Smasher would have no choice but to let my team live. So I made sure that I delayed my updates, over and over, so that the new owners would leave and never come back. It'll take a while to see just how successful I was at that, but the early returns look good."

Monathin grinned as he continued, "Of course, that wasn't enough. I had to make sure that no team that could beat mine emerged from the early round of the Gauntlet, and of all the teams beneath mine in the standings, yours was the only one I was afraid of, detective. You should be honored really. And, hey, at least you died for a good cause."

That was enough, enough talking, enough of all of this. I trained my gun and fired. But nothing came out. I checked by revolver, but couldn't even get the cylinder out. It was frozen solid.

"Up here, the thin air makes life difficult, but it isn't the most dangerous thing." Monathin said, reaching into his pocket, "It's the cold and the wind. They make even the most simple things, from grilling a stake to shooting a man dead so much more difficult. Of course, if you're smart, you can always make advance preparations to compensate." Monathin pulled his piece. I heard a shot, and I felt even colder. Looking down, I saw the blood start to pour out of me. It was a lovely way to die.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

CVE posted:

That's basically true for all languages in my opinion. Granted my english is mainly kept alive through forum discussions, talking with exchange students and movies so I would say my formal english is probably a mess (not to mention my grammar). I also forgot almost every little thing I knew about french since I had no one to speak it with so I can at most form basic sentences now.

Also there is the thing with the german language that our grammar doesn't make sense. I'm thankful it's my first langugage but when I had to explain certain things to an exchange student I just had to shrug my shoulder and say that it's all experience speaking not actual knowledge why something is used that way with der, die, das being the biggest offenders (the english "the" is so much nicer). Afterall It's Der Panzer despite it being a thing (and logic dictating it should be Das Panzer), same with Die Schule (it's a thing so it should be Das Schule) or Das Kind (which is obviously not a thing...)

And that's already far more words than I wanted to lose about german and languages in general...

Gendered articles are actually a problem with several languages, but English is way more difficult in its grammar structure, its homonyms, and all the bizarre words we've come up with. I can pick up German from people talking to me, but I would just have issues with learning the different genders of things. But if I were a foreign person, and someone started slinging English at me, well, I think I'd be in trouble.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Oh my god.

That obit is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

The was loving brilliant, holy poo poo.

Perfect noir narration, perfect setup. Perfect twist (I WAS THE MONSTER ALL ALONG :stonk:).

If I get immortalized as the evil mastermind who killed Detective Don Slaught, well. drat. With an obit like that, can't say I'd say no.