Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Neige and I took advantage of every client cancelling today and we went to the beach! Here are some photos we would like to share with you. Lucky you, you can't smell the dead crab that she rolled in just from looking at the pictures. I, alas, cannot escape it.

jumping over driftwood like it ain't no thang

not pictured: completely biffing the jump and getting a snootful of sand

this is about as close to the water as she'd get, and even then she quickly jumped right back away from it

"Aren't I cute? Please give me that cheese you have there!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Is that Puget sound? Also she's adorable, sorry about the crab. I'm pretty sure decaying sea life smell like roses to corgis.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Mr.Citrus posted:

Is that Puget sound? Also she's adorable, sorry about the crab. I'm pretty sure decaying sea life smell like roses to corgis.

Yup, at Owen Beach in Point Defiance. It's a great place to go, and much less crowded on weekdays. And if it hadn't been the crabs, it would have been the dead fish she found instead. Luckily I was on my game and was ready to call "leave it" with that one.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
I love how Tycho tolerates the cat

Closet Nerd
Feb 21, 2011

Mr.Citrus posted:

Yeah, I've bathed her that way in both bath tubs and in sinks when she was potato sized. She protests any time someone other than her gets her wet. She was right as rain the moment she got out to get dried.

It's just more convenient to use my condos shower than it is to go to my parents house and use their tub. She's well loved and we don't torment her, I just thought that particular video of her shower protests was pretty cute and funny :3:

Just for reference, this is how her mind works as far as I can tell.

Awesome:
Jumping in dirty lakes
splashing around gross water at low tide
running through water sprinklers
attacking water coming from a hose

Not awesome:
No longer smelling like the goose poo poo I decided to roll in
Being made wet by any person other than myself

Oh no, I don't think you are torturing her at all. I was just hoping maybe another way might be less scary to her. Sounds like she just doesn't like baths is all.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Haven't put up pictures of Igby in a while, so here's a bunch. I think he's turning eight this year.

His favorite spot while I'm working on the car.

His favorite puddle that he always finds every time we go to the big dog park on the west side of Houston.

Riding in the Roadmaster.

Friend of mine took this while he was watching me on the porch.

His most recent bed. These last about a month before he is able to remove the last bit of stuffing.

The classic hiding leg trick.

Got these socks last time I was in Florida

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Sir Tonk posted:

Haven't put up pictures of Igby in a while, so here's a bunch. I think he's turning eight this year.

His favorite spot while I'm working on the car.

His favorite puddle that he always finds every time we go to the big dog park on the west side of Houston.

Riding in the Roadmaster.

Friend of mine took this while he was watching me on the porch.

His most recent bed. These last about a month before he is able to remove the last bit of stuffing.

The classic hiding leg trick.

Got these socks last time I was in Florida

Sup Houston AND Corgi buddy! Have you been to the Boneyard yet? Something weird about a dog park that sells beer.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

I Might Be Adam posted:

Sup Houston AND Corgi buddy! Have you been to the Boneyard yet? Something weird about a dog park that sells beer.

Pretty cool place, but I don't go much. My father actually put in that dog wash thing in the back. I have to go empty it for him every so often.

Igby and I typically just go to the Menil park and sometime the Dunlavy dog park, but that place has been lame since those apartments were built and all the sun went away.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I live about 2 blocks from the Dunlavy park but instead choose to take Panda to the Danny Jackson park as it has grass and is a bit nicer.

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
Speaking of bathing your corgi.
How do you/What is the proper way of washing your dog's head? In particular the nose and areas close eyes.

I am always very cautious with washing head because I think a lot of water will get into my corgi's ears.

Is there a technique for safe head-washing?
Should I not be worried about water in ears?
Should I not touch the head at all?

To be absolutely honest I'm asking this because after washing Guinness today (though I notice it every time) his nose is just a tad smelly compared to his freshly washed fur elsewhere. :)

Also I found out how to brush him easily. He is always very whiney and anxious whenever he has the brush in sight. Yet today I decided to take him outside (one of the very first hot days this year down here) before he got completely dry and sit in the middle of very busy park nearby oir apartment and brush him for good 20-25 minutes.
He didn't move a muscle. :) Infact it looked like he enjoyed it from time to time.
I'm convinced that it was the sturdy Corgi pride that made him deal with it when people were around. :)

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I use diluted shampoo for the face in particular (though you should be diluting the shampoo for the whole body... just more diluted for the face). I tend to focus on behind the ears and under the jaw for my dog. I don't think I've ever actively tried to wash a snout. While rinsing I try to cover the ears with my hands to minimize the amount of water which runs in, and I don't ever spray them directly.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

I Might Be Adam posted:

I live about 2 blocks from the Dunlavy park but instead choose to take Panda to the Danny Jackson park as it has grass and is a bit nicer.

No way, I live behind that Shell station on Richmond. Crazy.

Danny Jackson is the park over by the old Houston Post building on Westpark, right? I've never been.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Sir Tonk posted:

No way, I live behind that Shell station on Richmond. Crazy.

Danny Jackson is the park over by the old Houston Post building on Westpark, right? I've never been.

Yeah, we live down the street from Rockin Robin. Small world. You are correct, Danny Jackson is behind the old Houston Post building (now the Chronicle distribution center). It's a pretty good park. Lots of space, grass, swimming holes, and it's divided for big dogs and small dogs. I still take Panda to the big dog side. Weeknights tend to have more dogs on that side for her to play with.

We're thinking of looking into a Houston area corgi meetup. We ran into a collie/corgi mix the other day and Panda really enjoyed playing with him.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

I Might Be Adam posted:

We're thinking of looking into a Houston area corgi meetup. We ran into a collie/corgi mix the other day and Panda really enjoyed playing with him.

Cool, keep me posted. I'm done with class today and will have a few months before starting up again for summer.

I've run into one cardigan at the Dunlavy park that I can remember and a few at Petco, but it's rare.

edit, a few that I forgot

Playing with a baby opossum that kept trying to get into the house. Wish they stayed this cute, the adults are bastards.

Watching people at the Menil park.

And he is very proud of this motorcycle that he isn't allowed to ride.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 9, 2013

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.
I found this old video of Beanie eating a treat on my lap while I play piano.

SHE GREW UP SO FAST i can't take it

yidlove
Mar 11, 2010
They just revamped the dog "park" (more of a dog run -- it's not very big) near my apartment, so I took Gimli there this morning. He wasn't a big fan of the gravel at first, and spent most of the time running around the paved path. :downs: It's way better than the mud pit that used to be there, though.

Leaping over the gravel area to avoid touching it.

Getting used to it.

Yay!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

yidlove posted:

They just revamped the dog "park" (more of a dog run -- it's not very big) near my apartment, so I took Gimli there this morning. He wasn't a big fan of the gravel at first, and spent most of the time running around the paved path. :downs: It's way better than the mud pit that used to be there, though.

Leaping over the gravel area to avoid touching it.

Igby does this with water. Whenever I'm in a pool, he runs around it constantly while stopping every so often to check and make sure the water is still a liquid.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
Corwin would like you to know that life is hard on a sunny porch...

And life is much easier at the park...

A woman at the park today asked me "what mix is he?" and when I replied "he's a Pembroke Welsh Corgi," she said, "I can see the corgi."

Well, yes, I would hope so. Especially being that both of his parents, and all their parents before them were corgis.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

I was wondering where Corwin had gone. Glad to see he's photogenic as always.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Took my corgi to the beach today. It was his first time swimming and absolutely hilarious looking. His eyes just bulged out as if he were in disbelief that he could swim. He seemed really afraid at first but then he kept going back into the water to swim around for fun.

phootnote
Mar 6, 2006
sleighted!
What is the general price range for a pet corgi? I would really like one, but a breeder is ask $1500 for a puppy....

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I got my puppy from a real breeder for $500.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

systran posted:

I got my puppy from a real breeder for $500.

That's actually pretty low for good bloodlines. $1000-$1500 is more on target but the price doesn't really mean much in terms of health and long term costs.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I live in Florida and I feel like the cost is way lower here. I called around to several breeders and the only ones that broke the $1,000 mark were for "CHAMPIONSHIP DOGS" or whatever the gently caress she called them. She refused to leave the tail on those etc. Most breeders are called were like $500-$750.

In case anyone is curious I got from here: http://www.thecorgilady.com/ (It might have been $550 I can't remember the exact number).

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

systran posted:

I live in Florida and I feel like the cost is way lower here. I called around to several breeders and the only ones that broke the $1,000 mark were for "CHAMPIONSHIP DOGS" or whatever the gently caress she called them. She refused to leave the tail on those etc. Most breeders are called were like $500-$750.

In case anyone is curious I got from here: http://www.thecorgilady.com/ (It might have been $550 I can't remember the exact number).

Just FYI, this is a pretty mediocre looking breeder -- sort of one of those "you get what you pay for" of places. I'm sure your dog is lovely, but the breeder could be doing much better for the breed. As a very very general rule of thumb, I expect to pay about $1k+ for a dog with proven parents with full health testing.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
I paid $800 in Louisville for the direct offspring of a Westminster Best in Breed. I suppose it depends on where you live or how badly the breeders need the money.

EDIT Why is that Corgi Lady crossbreeding her Cardis and her Pems? Her defense is that she 'likes the colors' but they look weird as hell and I don't get the rationale behind it.

FormerPoster fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 21, 2013

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I visited her place and was happy that she treated the dogs really well and had a nice place for them. The puppies had a lot of space to play and the adults all seemed really happy. I liked that she was totally cool with keeping the tail on ours; a lot of breeders were extremely snoody about this and it put me off. The dog we got had papers with his family tree etc. The one I got wasn't crossbred or anything (I agree those look weird as hell).

I am not an expert at all, and her being mediocre is likely true. I hope that doesn't mean my dog is more likely to have health problems, but I was really quite put off by how snoody other breeders were being about keeping the tail. I had people saying, "That will reflect poorly on me as a breeder" etc.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

We paid $650 outside of Houston for Panda and she ended up with Dermatomyositis. I didn't really understand the hatred towards "back yard breeders" because any dog that we paid for when I was growing up came from families that just happened to breed their dogs and we never had an issue with them. Panda came from a family with a lot of land and it looked like they took good care of their dogs so nothing came off as inhumane or wrong when we bought her. In the end, we could have asked more questions or been more informed before making the purchase and they could have taken more pride in their sir and dame as far as medical history and health screening. Panda is doing great and she's happy, so we're happy.

Some of those cardi and pem mixes look really interesting while some of them look a little weird.

phootnote
Mar 6, 2006
sleighted!
Does the cost of corgi guarantee anything? I know this breeder wants you to bring back the corgi if you cannot take care of it for some reason.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

phootnote posted:

Does the cost of corgi guarantee anything? I know this breeder wants you to bring back the corgi if you cannot take care of it for some reason.

There are no guarantees in dogs. The cost of the dog is going to be roughly proportionate to the amount of money the breeder puts into their dogs. Shows, sports, health testing, quality food, care for the dam and pups pre and post whelp, etc all cost a great deal of money. Dogs aren't a cheap hobby and it's normally just a way to recoup some of the associated costs.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
I like shelter dogs. They don't get corgis often but they come in from time to time. $350 adoption fee for my 100% certified "Corgi/other dog" cross. I did have to check the shelter's website a few times a week for about 4 months to get him, though.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

This is FL only but good if you want to adopt a corgi:

http://www.sunshinecorgirescue.org/

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

systran posted:

This is FL only but good if you want to adopt a corgi:

http://www.sunshinecorgirescue.org/

Yeah, search for Corgi rescue in your state. Or use petfinder.com, a lot of rescue groups put their doggies on it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

We were super lucky to have someone we know working at the local SPCA and know that we love Corgis. It's certainly different, not knowing where a dog came from, what kind of situation she was in, but drat do I love her and am so happy we got her. Weird though to imagine a pure bread gorgeous Corgi as a stray. I felt obligated to do lots of searching when we got her to make sure there wasn't a public lost dog posting, but I never found anything.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Tegan was almost 4 when I rescued her, and with her energy level I can't even imagine what kind of hell she would have wreaked as a puppy. Rescues are a great way to go if you're not insistent upon a puppy, you can still find pretty young, healthy, purebred corgis if you have patience.

Millions fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 21, 2013

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

I Might Be Adam posted:

I didn't really understand the hatred towards "back yard breeders" because any dog that we paid for when I was growing up came from families that just happened to breed their dogs and we never had an issue with them.

My actual and genuine hatred comes from a very emotional place. I don't believe the majority of PI-ers have LITERAL hatred toward byb's, but I watched my beloved bestest friend ever sheltie die of a disease that the breeder should have been screening for when I was a super-losery high schooler (then had people laugh at me for "crying about a dog"), so I have zero respect for ANYONE who just throws two dogs together and then sells the results. If a breeder is not actively trying to make the breed better, stronger, and healthier, they have no right asking anyone to pay money for the heartbreak to come.

And yes, Neige is proof positive that even the best and brightest genes still throw weirdness, but thankfully for me, fluffy hair and a white mismark cost me nothing at the vet.

Also: seriously wtf breeders should not be crossing pems and cardis. what on earth is the point of that other than "it's cute so $$$." Show breeders who breed for color are stupid, byb's who breed for color are a very special kind of idiocy.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Golden-i posted:

I like shelter dogs. They don't get corgis often but they come in from time to time. $350 adoption fee for my 100% certified "Corgi/other dog" cross. I did have to check the shelter's website a few times a week for about 4 months to get him, though.

Yea I used petfinder to find a suitable Corgi for me. $350 seems crazy for an adoption fee. I paid around $150 for Lewis and they threw in a pretty sweet "camping" cage. As far as I can tell he is pure-bred... but there's obviously no paperwork.

I got pretty lucky with Lewis.. he was already house trained, understood a couple of commands and is generally a pretty quiet and chill guy. He may have been abused by his previous owner, unfortunately, because he cowers when I show the slightest amount of irritation with him. Also he freaks out at the sight of toy guns... or even my roommate making a gun with his hands and pointing it at him.

It took me about a month of perusing pet websites to find my corgi.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

extravadanza posted:

He may have been abused by his previous owner, unfortunately, because he cowers when I show the slightest amount of irritation with him.

This always makes me sad with Pita. She seems to lower her head and close her eyes instinctively when we have a hand above her head, though we're just going to give her scratches or pets.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

I wouldn't take that automatically as a sign of abuse unless it's dramatic. The worst 'abuse' Nova has ever had is someone telling her 'no', and she cowers and sulks if she thinks you're mad at her. I think some dogs are just a bit more submissive than others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

ButWhatIf posted:

My actual and genuine hatred comes from a very emotional place. I don't believe the majority of PI-ers have LITERAL hatred toward byb's, but I watched my beloved bestest friend ever sheltie die of a disease that the breeder should have been screening for when I was a super-losery high schooler (then had people laugh at me for "crying about a dog"), so I have zero respect for ANYONE who just throws two dogs together and then sells the results. If a breeder is not actively trying to make the breed better, stronger, and healthier, they have no right asking anyone to pay money for the heartbreak to come.

I totally agree with you. I had never experienced the bad side of it so I didn't even realize it was a serious concern. I figured all of those fancy breeders were just for people looking to buy a show quality dog for their own breeding or competition purposes.

I did speak with a woman who ASSURED me that her puppies were 100% Corgi, just never had the paperwork done nor had any medical records for the parents or had shot records for the pups and wanted to charge $400.

• Locked thread