Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I am angered by the amount of good painters suddenly appearing. I want a chance at winning something, damnit!

For alternate universe oaths - do they have to be the same as normal oath re: state of painting at time of oath?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
I, Ripley, hereby oath that I will paint these three Games Workshop Space Wolf Longfangs for the month of May. This is my first ever oath, so 'Awwww, it's a baby'.

None of the parts are primed or painted at all, just different shades of bare plastic.

I haven't really painted anything since I was a kid; I've been working on a unit of Grey Hunters painfully slowly for the last few months, but I'm hoping oathing might give me a kick up the rear end to actually get something finished.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

LazyAngel posted:

I, LazyAngel, being of sound mind, OATH 3 Infinity Haqqislam Ghulam by Corvus Belli (all 28mm) for the month of May

Uh hey guys, I've been putting down "Infinity" for the model maker for a few goons, but is the model maker actually "Corvus Belli"? Please do my research for me, I refuse to google things.

Thundercloud posted:

I, Thundercloud, oath 3 Klingon E5 Battle Corvettes from Mongoose Publishings Starline 2500 line and a Wight King from Games Workshops Vampire Counts range for Fantasy Battle.

Here's to another year of glorious failure!

Screw it, this is like internet dating, go big or go home. I additionally Oath 1 Mongoose Publishing Federation class Dreadnought from the Starline 2500 range. Time to go airbrush crazy.

Approve me Sole sushi, you're my only hope!

What's the scale on these space ships?

krushgroove posted:

:siren:ATTENTION:siren:
NEW SPONSORS ANNOUNCEMENT!!

Springer-Pinsel Kolinsky Sable Brushes
New thread sponsor!
A German brush manufacturer that's been around for over 100 years, Springer-Pinsel have donated a pack of their top-quality Kolinsky Sable brushes every month for a random participant!

This is fantastic. Folks in the general painting/modeling thread consistently recommend Kolinsky brushes and I have to agree.

quote:

Games 'n' Gears
New thread sponsor!
We now have WEEKLY prizes! Games 'n' Gears have promised us one of their unique double-ended brushes EVERY WEEK! We'll have a few more details to come after we figure out how we can give these out, but the lucky winners will be sent a brush direct from Games 'n' Gears every. single. week!

Games 'n' Gears are encouraging all participants to post pictures of the miniatures they complete on Sundays this June - more details here: https://www.facebook.com/events/350021115098113/

Wow! A weekly contest! So uh, how will this work for drawing and stuff? We're going to have to decide something for eligibility that isn't based on people completing oaths. Or, we'll have to wait till the following month and then give away 4 or 5 retroactively? Or something? Anyway I put in a new column for this one, but I can't put in logic for it till we figure this out.

Serotonin posted:

I, Serotonin, oath that I will paint this unit of 4 bases of Cossack Moloitsy riflemen (12 figures) from the 15mm historical wargame "By Fire and Sword" (or Ogniem i Mieczem in its original Polish) for the month of May

Your photo isn't loading for me for some reason. Other images hosted on imgur on this page are loading, so I'm not sure what's up. When I paste the image URL directly into a browser, it just spins forever without loading it.

Lethemonster posted:

I am angered by the amount of good painters suddenly appearing. I want a chance at winning something, damnit!

For alternate universe oaths - do they have to be the same as normal oath re: state of painting at time of oath?

I'm not the ultimate arbiter but I'm pretty sure the answer is "yes".

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Leperflesh posted:

Uh hey guys, I've been putting down "Infinity" for the model maker for a few goons, but is the model maker actually "Corvus Belli"? Please do my research for me, I refuse to google things.

Yes, Corvus Belli is the company, Infinity is the game system.

Corvus Belli:Infinity::Games Workshop:Warhammer 40k

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Leperflesh posted:

Wow! A weekly contest! So uh, how will this work for drawing and stuff? We're going to have to decide something for eligibility that isn't based on people completing oaths. Or, we'll have to wait till the following month and then give away 4 or 5 retroactively? Or something? Anyway I put in a new column for this one, but I can't put in logic for it till we figure this out.

I would think the easiest way to do it would be to give out 4 every month to 4 randomly selected oath completers.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
If they want people to post oath completes on Sundays, then the brushes should be given out on Mondays to people who have completed oaths that month. Gives a benefit to finishing early.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I, SRM, make an additional "gotta do this bonus style" oath of three Ravenwing bikers, from Games Workshop's Warhammer 40,000.

And the other Oath going on:

SRM posted:

I, SRM, Oath three Goliath juves and one Goliath Ganger from GW's Necromunda line:

I'll be doing both the 3 WIPs and the parts list bonuses in an interesting way...

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Leperflesh posted:

What's the scale on these space ships?

1/3125. When Mongoose did the Starline 2500 range they upped the scale so you can fit more detail. The old scale of the TFG/ADB ships was 1/3700. There've also been a bunch of scale corrections with the new range.

They're a lot nicer. And now all the production issues are settled, they're bigger, still metal and equivalent or cheaper in some places than the old ranges. I'll be painting a bunch of Klingon and Fed ships initially, then some civilians and then Romulans.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Speaking of games n gears, I got my brush set from their kickstarter today and they seem really nice. I've never used kolinsky sable brushes before, so it'll be fun to use good tools to do terrible things.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

MasterSlowPoke posted:

If they want people to post oath completes on Sundays, then the brushes should be given out on Mondays to people who have completed oaths that month. Gives a benefit to finishing early.

..but on the flip side, punishes those with real world distractions such as jobs, kids, wives :v: just playing devils advocate :3:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

JoshTheStampede posted:

I would think the easiest way to do it would be to give out 4 every month to 4 randomly selected oath completers.

Unfortunately that'd only yield 48 prizes, when there's actually 52 weeks in the year.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'm not sure we want to encourage people to try and rush through an oath before the first Sunday of each month. In some cases that could be 24 hours and it will average less than 4 days.

It might be better to take the number of Sundays that happened during each Oath period, and then award that many prizes to random oath completers for the month. But let's see what krushgroove comes up with.

Ashcans posted:

Yes, Corvus Belli is the company, Infinity is the game system.

Corvus Belli:Infinity::Games Workshop:Warhammer 40k

OK I updated to use Corvus Belli for the maker info. Thanks!

Thundercloud posted:

1/3125. When Mongoose did the Starline 2500 range they upped the scale so you can fit more detail. The old scale of the TFG/ADB ships was 1/3700. There've also been a bunch of scale corrections with the new range.

They're a lot nicer. And now all the production issues are settled, they're bigger, still metal and equivalent or cheaper in some places than the old ranges. I'll be painting a bunch of Klingon and Fed ships initially, then some civilians and then Romulans.

Ok I calculate that as about .52mm scale. Thanks!

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Some sort of honourable mention prize to completed Oathers might be one way to go.

I want to master the airbrush this year, and become both quicker, more organised and technically better. So not a big ask then.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
:siren: I, JoshTheStampede, being of sound mind and body, hereby oath 3 Silurids, from Malifaux by Wyrd Miniatures, for the month of May! :siren:

Do I get to claim Aww a Baby if I have changed my username since the last oath thread? :v:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

enri posted:

..but on the flip side, punishes those with real world distractions such as jobs, kids, wives :v: just playing devils advocate :3:

And those that make larger oaths.

lunchbox624
May 6, 2013
I, Lunchbox624, Oath to paint these for deathwing terminators for the month of May. They are from the games workshop line. also 'Awwww, it's a baby'

lunchbox624 fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 7, 2013

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

lunchbox624 posted:

I, Lunchbox624, Oath to paint these for deathwing terminators for the month of May. They are from the games workshop line.

Drumstick posted:

I, Drumstick, Oath one Tervigon from 40k.

Wazzu posted:

I, Wazzu, do Oath to paint an entire Blood Bowl Orc team; 1 Troll, 4 Black Orcs, 4 Blitzers, 4 Lineorcs, 2 Throwers, 2 Goblins, All from Games Workshop.

Commissar Kip posted:

I, Commissar Kip OATH five M4A1 Sherman tanks by Battlefront Miniatures (15mm) and one Shoanti Barbarian (28mm) from Reaper Miniatures' Pathfinder line for the month of May.Awwww, it's a baby!

LazyAngel posted:

I, LazyAngel, being of sound mind, OATH 3 Infinity Haqqislam Ghulam by Corvus Belli (all 28mm) for the month of May

Thundercloud posted:

I, Thundercloud, oath 3 Klingon E5 Battle Corvettes from Mongoose Publishings Starline 2500 line and a Wight King from Games Workshops Vampire Counts range for Fantasy Battle and 1 Mongoose Publishing Federation class Dreadnought from the Starline 2500 range.

Serotonin posted:

I, Serotonin, oath that I will paint this unit of 4 bases of Cossack Moloitsy riflemen (12 figures) from the 15mm historical wargame "By Fire and Sword" 'Awwww, it's a baby!

Ripley posted:

I, Ripley, hereby oath that I will paint these three Games Workshop Space Wolf Longfangs for the month of May. This is my first ever oath, so BABY!

JoshTheStampede posted:

:siren: I, JoshTheStampede, being of sound mind and body, hereby oath 3 Silurids, from Malifaux by Wyrd Miniatures, for the month of May! :siren:

Accepted.

SRM posted:

[b]I, SRM, make an additional "gotta do this bonus style" oath of three Ravenwing bikers, from Games Workshop's Warhammer 40,000.

Also accepted.

Germ
May 7, 2013

I, Germ, hereby oath that I will paint these two Games Workshop Necron Night Scythes for the month of May. This would be my first oath (heck, my first post on SA) so, 'Awwww, it's a baby'.

The models are primed black and ready to paint! My friend Fix has been talking up SA in general, and the Oath thread in specific, for a while. I'm looking forward to being publicly ridiculed when my "Look ... a squirrel!" mentality causes me to end this year with piles of half-painted models.

Edit... Switched image hosting to imgur

Germ fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 7, 2013

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

lunchbox624 posted:

I, Lunchbox624, Oath to paint these for deathwing terminators for the month of May. They are from the games workshop line.

:hfive: Deathwing oath buddy!

I just finished my chainfist guy that I oathed. 8 different colors and then a wash for each terminator, and I have 2 more to go :negative: This one came out nice, though. I can't wait to post the final product :)

nathonicus
May 2, 2013
I, Nathonicus, hereby oath that I will paint these 10 Death Korps of Krieg Guardsmen by Forge World (Games-Workshop), for the month of May.

Awwwwww, it's a baby!

nathonicus fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 7, 2013

Mmtheblue
Jul 25, 2007

...Out of this period a particularly cunning and strong Ork will emerge as the leader and the other Orks will gather round him...

Mmtheblue posted:

I, Mmtheblue, Oath to paint 9 Games Workshop Space Marine Scouts, 3 Ork Big Shootas, and one Reaper Dragon Familiar for the month of May.

Looks like my AP was missed.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
I, Destrado, oath a 5 Haramaki link team (Corvus Belli/Infinity) for May.

(pile of arms and heads included because I haven't decided how much I'll paint before assembly).

Not sure if it'll be enough for the 'themed group' prize, hopefully I'll get time to do some squad markings and such.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Dr. Phildo posted:

I, Dr. Phildo, oath two Vanguard people for the month of May

They are from 28mm Sedition Wars, Studio McVey. I'm starting slow, but I've got a buttload of these little people :$

Sup, poo poo-ton of SW:BfA buddy!

I have 2 Biohazard sets waiting for me to do something with them, and then god knows what else is coming in the delayed second shipment now - at least the 3d scenery. It's intimidating, especially trying to come up with a color scheme other than the studio version when I spent so long looking at their versions. Interested to see what you'll be doing with these.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

lunchbox624 posted:

Considering this appears to be your first ever post on SA, and you registered today, I suspect you might qualify for Aww, a Baby!. If so, please edit it into your post and also post to let me know you've done so, so I can credit you.

This goes for everyone else who is new to Something Awful Oath threads: it's a free point! Might as well claim it.

In other news, I have identified a bug in Google Sheets. Lovely. It is preventing me from sorting the May 2013 tab by goon name. I've done the thing for notifying Google of an issue, but I doubt we'll see any kind of instant results or something. In the mean-time, the only way to resolve the issue would be to get rid of my clever labor-saving method of keeping track of everyone, so gently caress that. Instead, if you want to find your name on any sheet, please use the search function (ctrl-F) to search for your username.

SpiderMonkey47
Oct 29, 2009

If painting could kill, you would have committed suicide.
Enjoyed my day off as any responsible goonette would - ignoring the laundry and dishes in favor of working on my oath! :woop: Finished the base coat and shading for both rat ogres, even if I did forget how I normally paint my warpstone. It's ok - that rat ogre can be the derpy one with the malfunctioning stone.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Destrado posted:

I, Destrado, oath a 5 Haramaki link team (Corvus Belli/Infinity) for May.

(pile of arms and heads included because I haven't decided how much I'll paint before assembly).

Not sure if it'll be enough for the 'themed group' prize, hopefully I'll get time to do some squad markings and such.

You're good. Infinity is 28mm and you're doing five guys. All depending on how you paint them of course :)

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Does battletech class as 6mm or 28mm?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Lethemonster posted:

Yes, Sole.Sushi has to approve the oaths and oath additions, so they have to be maximum of one color.

enri posted:

Fix posted:

And those that make larger oaths.

I know what you guys mean, but the Games 'n' Gears Facebook thing is just a separate thing they want to get more FB posters to put pictures on. No one has to consider it part of this competition - unless you want to do the speed painting thing!

Kommando posted:

Does battletech class as 6mm or 28mm?

Ladies and gentlemen, the most meta question we'll ever get in this thread!

I wouldn't worry about the scale, the minimum oath is taken care of either way. Personally I would call it 28 or 30mm since most battles are going to be between 'mechs and not infantry.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 7, 2013

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10
I, The Impaler, oath these 5 Covenant of Antarctica (Spartan Games -> Dystopian Wars) frigates for May.

Hope it's enough for an oath as the ships are 4cm long and about 1cm wide. If not, I can throw more in.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
^^^ can you let us know what scale those are, roughly? They look like they fit within the minimum oath size anyway, but to satisfy our insatiable curiousity it would be cool to know.

:siren:CLARIFICATION:siren:
Just to update the Games 'n' Gears prize, we're going to set it up so 4 double-ended brushes are given away at the end of each month (not weekly). Together with our OTHER brush sponsor, Springer-Pinsel (suppliers to some very big-name hobby companies you WILL be familiar with) we have 5 brushes or sets to give away every month!

...and we're in talks with a couple more sponsors to add to the prize pool, so watch this space :)

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10

krushgroove posted:

^^^ can you let us know what scale those are, roughly? They look like they fit within the minimum oath size anyway, but to satisfy our insatiable curiousity it would be cool to know.

My apologies for the omission. The scale of Dystopian Wars is 1:1200.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Yay, someone else with Dystopian Wars!

That said, I am not oathing my Italians. At least not this month.

I'll post tomorrow with my oath and try and get a bunch of it done Friday. :)

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
"Oathing my Italians" sounds like a euphemism.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

mehall posted:

I'm really happy to see people posting so many different varieties of models - historicals, skirmish games, of course GW stuff and even an actual real scale model (that I totally didn't anticipate!).

Also, SO MANY FIRST-TIMERS! Really really happy to see you all joining up! I'm still looking for a suitable prize to give to all the first-time oathers (any goons want to step forward to donate something?) but we'll get something lined up for a lucky one of you at the end of the season!

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

"Oathing my Italians" sounds like a euphemism.

;)

@Krushgroove:

My oath will be a real scale model plane. I might just go take a pic just now actually.

EDIT:

I, Mehall, do hereby Oath to get off my arse and paint this Stuka in the month of May.

It is a 1/72 scale Stuka 87-G but without the Tank Buster bombs because I didn't want them.

Aww, a baby!

This model started construction before I knew about the existence of this oath stuff, and the instructions told me to do the cockpit dark before I built the plane, since you can't readily get into it once it's assembled.

If I have to, I will re-prime it and cover the the cockpit internal, but it's basically a black primer on the cockpit and a normal grey primer on the outside, so I hope this is okay for my first oath. :shobon:

e; broke tables

mehall fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 7, 2013

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I, Lungboy, do hereby oath to paint 20 CSM cultists from Dark Vengeance by the end of May!
Models are from Games Workshop

lunchbox624
May 6, 2013

Icon Of Sin posted:

:hfive: Deathwing oath buddy!

I just finished my chainfist guy that I oathed. 8 different colors and then a wash for each terminator, and I have 2 more to go :negative: This one came out nice, though. I can't wait to post the final product :)

Yeah I am pretty stoked to actually get working on these guys. hopefully they turn out as well I think they can lol. I want to try and see if I can manage to work in hazard stripes as much as possible on these guys. I think it gives them a bit of an old school feel to them with the new amazing sculpts. Hopefully between tonight and Thursday I can get the majority of the work done on these guys. GL on your oath man. May the Emperors light be in your favor and death to the heretics!

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Ok. I think my questions are answered. I'll pick a mini and post an oath once I get home from Cambodia/Vietnam.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Is it too late to get in on this or do I have to wait till next year?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

crime fighting hog posted:

Is it too late to get in on this or do I have to wait till next year?

It's the first month, you can take part whenever you want, now is a good time though.. no catching up to be done :)

Go forth and make an oath! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nathonicus
May 2, 2013

mehall posted:

That said, I am not oathing my Italians. At least not this month.

I'll post tomorrow with my oath and try and get a bunch of it done Friday. :)

By the end of this thread, I hope to get some of my Covenant of Antarctica models in here. Dystopian Wars is a solid game, and the models are delightful. I'm looking forward to seeing how others paint their ships up.

• Locked thread