Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

snoot posted:

Does it get better after the first couple of episodes? I chuckled at 'I heard you the second time', but the acting was a little wooden and felt like a slog.

I am very much enjoying Awake though.

I liked it when it aired, sucks it got cancelled. Now I just need Journeyman and Day Break on Netflix to cover all my beloved cancelled shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Wilhelm Scream posted:

And definitely read This Book is Full of Spiders, I loved John Dies at the End but Spiders is so much better.

Good to hear. I just got it from the library.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Power of Pecota posted:

I really don't understand the crazy degree of love this forum collectively has for Paranorman, but re: great fitting music and Jon Brion -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8c7fAAtdLs

ParaNorman is brilliant in that it supports the wildly unpopular notion that just being a victim doesn't mean you have carte blanche to be a total jackass. Also, the art style is gorgeous and the movie is clearly a love letter to z-grade horror movies.

Also, Laika has announced their next project: Boxtrolls. Keep an eye out for it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

PaganGoatPants posted:

I liked it when it aired, sucks it got cancelled. Now I just need Journeyman and Day Break on Netflix to cover all my beloved cancelled shows.

Day Break was great and - thankfully - was designed as a mini-series anyway so when it ends it basically ends. There was apparently one or two ideas they left themselves should ABC have asked them for another season but other than that it's all good. My only sticking point in the whole show is that in the final episode they couldn't afford that Johnny Cash song so they make a lovely soundalike version of it.

See also; the home release of Friday Night Lights. I own the whole show but honestly considered 'obtaining' the original broadcast versions of Season 1 because the music stuff bugged me so much.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Wilhelm Scream posted:

And definitely read This Book is Full of Spiders, I loved John Dies at the End but Spiders is so much better.

The first page has the word "fartsouls". Nope.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Wilhelm Scream posted:

You can definitely see him improving as a writer, Spiders (TBiFoS?) is a much more cohesive narrative.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

You can definitely see him improving as a writer, Spiders (TBiFoS?) is a much more cohesive narrative.

To be fair, as mentioned, JDATE was always just made up of various bits and pieces and was never intended to be a longer book. Even Wong admitted that had it been up to him he wouldn't have done it that way. Spiders was intended as a novel from the start.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
All this talk about John Dies at the End made me watch it, and boy was I disappointed. Not only does it cut like a huge chunk of the book, it just felt so empty from all the interesting monsters mentioned in the book. And I felt like Korack was way neutered since he really just isn't mentioned until the end. I was really looking forward to seeing that end area and it's just so lackluster.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

DrVenkman posted:

To be fair, as mentioned, JDATE was always just made up of various bits and pieces and was never intended to be a longer book. Even Wong admitted that had it been up to him he wouldn't have done it that way. Spiders was intended as a novel from the start.

I wish it was still out there in it's original form from back when he was posting it in installments. The polished up book version is good, but I remember it being so much more chaotic and funny pre-edit.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've tried to read JDATE like 3 times because several people have told me how good it is, but every time I try, I only make it a few chapters in before losing interest and putting it down. I don't know if it's the writing style or the plot or the characters or what, but something about it just doesn't grab me. And then the movie came out and I thought maybe I'd be able to get into that easier, but the movie was loving garbage. If you've never read the book, it'll make no sense to you. I read part of the book and I still thought it was terrible.

But even the people that told me the book was great said they hated the movie, so I'm not alone there. But apparently I am in the minority for not liking the book.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I've tried to read JDATE like 3 times because several people have told me how good it is, but every time I try, I only make it a few chapters in before losing interest and putting it down. I don't know if it's the writing style or the plot or the characters or what, but something about it just doesn't grab me. And then the movie came out and I thought maybe I'd be able to get into that easier, but the movie was loving garbage. If you've never read the book, it'll make no sense to you. I read part of the book and I still thought it was terrible.

But even the people that told me the book was great said they hated the movie, so I'm not alone there. But apparently I am in the minority for not liking the book.

Can't blame you, it's a very weird horror novel written for the internet. It's exceptionally well written for each of those three qualifiers, but it's still weird internet horror, so it's got some baggage. The second book is a lot more... Traditional of a novel. It's still weird horror, but it's not written for the internet, it's written for fans of weird horror. It's a lot more coherent and less indulgent.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Did netflix kill their rss feed for new releases? I used to check it daily but I'm not seeing any new releases for a few weeks. Don't really understand why they would stop that service as it was super useful to see what they just added. Now it's impossible.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

scary ghost dog posted:

Can't blame you, it's a very weird horror novel written for the internet. It's exceptionally well written for each of those three qualifiers, but it's still weird internet horror, so it's got some baggage. The second book is a lot more... Traditional of a novel. It's still weird horror, but it's not written for the internet, it's written for fans of weird horror. It's a lot more coherent and less indulgent.
Audiobook. That's how I did both books. The narrator is goddamn great. It's perfect if you have a commute every morning.

But hey we should talk about Netflix Streaming I suppose.

I'm watching Wilfred now. I've decided to just start consuming TV series after TV series.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 5, 2013

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Cabin in the Woods was absolutely fantastic, and once I knew what was going on they did not let me down.

Also, I've been slowly going through Fringe and after a few episodes into the first season I'm only sticking around for more Alvarez from Oz.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Wooh, new eps of Portlandia and Justified on Netflix UK! That, combined with new Arrested Development this month means I'm going to be binging on entire seasons soon.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

magnificent7 posted:

Audiobook. That's how I did both books. The narrator is goddamn great.

Ahhh! I was just about to post that I thought the audiobook for JDATE was awful. John's lines in particular are so poorly interpreted that it kills most of the humor of his character. Lines that should be sarcastic are read with sincerity, and lines that are smart-rear end get read with a sense of idiotic wonder. I had to read the text version after I heard it just to clear it out of my head.

The movie was way better than I expected for a no budget indie film. I thought it nailed the characters perfectly, but it's more of a companion piece to the book. I can see why someone who hasn't read it wouldn't like it, but I can't imagine a fan of the book not enjoying it in a "Window into moments from the novel" sort of way. Well, unless they seriously expected a 200 million dollar mini-series. Sure tons of great stuff was cut and the ending was rushed with crappy effects, but it's still a fun watch.

Also I have to Nth the love for 13 assassins. I thought I'd maxed out my love of that genre, but holy crap. I would never have believed that literally half of a film could be the climax without ever getting bored or overloaded.

-Atom- posted:

Also, I've been slowly going through Fringe and after a few episodes into the first season I'm only sticking around for more Alvarez from Oz.

People will tell you it takes off halfway through season two. They are right, and it keeps getting better. I hated season one and just kept watching a borrowed box set out of boredom, just putting in a disc while I was going to bed. The odd bit is that I'm loving re-watching season one now that I've seen the rest of the show, just to see all the little details that dovetail into the overall arch.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 5, 2013

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Frankenstyle posted:

Also I have to Nth the love for 13 assassins. I thought I'd maxed out my love of that genre, but holy crap. I would never have believed that literally half of a film could be the climax without ever getting bored or overloaded.

Watch Hara-kiri NOW(if you haven't).

:suspense: That will be your face during movie. There was also one scene that made me cry a lot,loving emotional.

Miike is my new favorite director.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Desperado Bones posted:

Watch Hara-kiri NOW(if you haven't).

:suspense: That will be your face during movie. There was also one scene that made me cry a lot,loving emotional.

Miike is my new favorite director.

Ha yeah, I meant to recommend that one. I love Miike too, but be warned that many of his films are very much not Hara-kiri. Visitor Q may have hosed me up for life.

*I just remembered Audition is another great Mikke film on Netflix. It's miles away from Hara-kiri, but not as insane as Visitor Q or Ichi the Killer.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 5, 2013

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

-Atom- posted:

Cabin in the Woods was absolutely fantastic, and once I knew what was going on they did not let me down.

The last three or so episodes are sublime. There are two reveals in the last episode that explain so much of why the first season seemed so lovely, and they just open so many possibilities that it's amazing.

I don't know what it's like to just go right to the second season in five seconds, but watching when it was airing, I was hooked. There are some really compelling avenues the show opens up over the course of the second season, and it handles exploring them at just the right pace--not too fast, but not LOST-style moseying, either.

Anna Torv also turns into a great actor at some point before the end of season 2.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I haven't seen Miike's Hara-Kiri yet, although it's in my queue, but you all should definitely track down the original 1962 film Hara-Kiri by Masaki Kobayashi. It's a masterpiece through and through. Not on streaming though.

I liked John Dies at the End. It has a lot of flaws, but I thought it was a lot of goofy fun with some amusing pseudo-intellectualism thrown in for good measure. I laughed all the way through. It would make for a really good double feature with Cabin in the Woods, although Cabin is definitely the better movie.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Jim Gaffigan is easily my favorite modern comedian. Two of his specials are up on instant watch, Beyond the Pale and Mr. Universe, and I highly recommend both of them. He's pretty clean but it's not that kind of clean; you just kind of realize at the end that he said "drat" maybe once. If you have children who are like 13/14+ you could even watch it with them and everybody could enjoy. Maybe younger depending on their maturity. (I grew up from about the age of 9 with Bill Cosby's and Bob Newhart's stand-up, so I may be way off.)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Finally got around to watching Doomsday Book, you guys were right, the one about robot enlightenment was definitely the best of the three, though all three stories were interesting. I've never seen any other Korean films before, what else would be like this?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I saw Cabin in the Woods in theaters and it was my absolute favorite horror movie of the last X-many years. Do yourself a huge favor and watch it, then check out the CineD thread.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

RBA Starblade posted:

Finally got around to watching Doomsday Book, you guys were right, the one about robot enlightenment was definitely the best of the three, though all three stories were interesting. I've never seen any other Korean films before, what else would be like this?
Watch The Host for another example of some of the goofy comedy combined with large scale drama and action, as seen in the first and last segment. Also check out the usual recommendations;
Action/thriller/emotionally exhausting: The Man from Nowhere, Vengeance Trilogy (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, Sympathy for Lady Vengeance), Mother

Horror: Tale of Two Sisters, I Saw the Devil (both directed by the director of the middle short), Bedevilled.

These should be all on Netflix. I envy you getting to watch any of those for the first time! Check out the South Korean film thread if you want to dive in deeper: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3525253

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I don't know if it's my dislike for Joss Whedon's past material or that I don't watch a lot of horror movies, but Cabin in the Woods landed with a dull thud to me. By the halfway point I already felt like the "4th wall" stuff had outlasted it's cleverness only to discover that it barely had begun.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Completely different genre but an excellent Korean movie about the Korean War is The Frontlines. Goes on a bit too long, but the production values are impressive and the characters are pretty likeable.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

So, last night at a few minutes before midnight, I made the mistake of turning on 13 Assassins. Staying up until 2 am when I had to be up at 6 was not a smart idea, but good Lord, that movie is outstanding! I wish I would have watched it months ago when I added it to my Instant Queue.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

kuddles posted:

I don't know if it's my dislike for Joss Whedon's past material or that I don't watch a lot of horror movies, but Cabin in the Woods landed with a dull thud to me. By the halfway point I already felt like the "4th wall" stuff had outlasted it's cleverness only to discover that it barely had begun.

I kind of felt the same way but I didn't fault the movie for that, as such. I think it all held together in the end, albeit just barely. The problem I had with it is that early on in the film you kind of "get it" but then it just keeps on going, then they pull back the curtain and spell it out, then it just keeps on going. Then they get to the climax but it doesn't end there, no, they have to bring in the Gigantic Plot Device to hammer home what they'd been telling you the whole film. You know it's coming and then they have to show you.

It was really more of a 45-minute short film that they stretched to feature length. It was clever for what it was, and I really enjoyed it, I just didn't think it was this Great Horror Film that every horror fan "has" to see.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Cabin in the Woods is worth watching just for that betting board with all the monsters on it.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Dismemberment Goblins. :3:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Side By Side was a lot better than I was expecting. My jaw dropped at the end when the Hollywood old guard were going on about how we need Hollywood to act as a buffer by deciding what movies are worth making and what aren't, and how making film more accessible to people who aren't wealthy film school students is a bad thing that will drown film in mediocrity. In general it was nice having younger people in the industry on there to defend things like watching movies on your phone or on Netflix since I've already heard the usual movie theater nostalgia bit about a million times.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

MrGreenShirt posted:

I really like the mental image of (more Cabin spoilers) all the monsters just kind of hanging out together after they finish murdering everybody. It'd be like Mad Monster Party, but with a bunch of rotting corpses in an underground bunker.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Tewratomeh posted:

I really like the mental image of (more Cabin spoilers) all the monsters just kind of hanging out together after they finish murdering everybody. It'd be like Mad Monster Party, but with a bunch of rotting corpses in an underground bunker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo4tzrxyXsA

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Tewratomeh posted:

I kind of felt the same way but I didn't fault the movie for that, as such. I think it all held together in the end, albeit just barely. The problem I had with it is that early on in the film you kind of "get it" but then it just keeps on going, then they pull back the curtain and spell it out, then it just keeps on going.

I rewatched the movie over the weekend and this, I think, might be its biggest flaw--The actual people in the cabin and their travails with the beasties out to get them are a necessity, but still a bit of a slog. As the characters progressively slipped into their stereotypical roles and the cliched zombie narrative played out, I found myself more and more eager to cut back to the control room.

I still love it, though. And the scene where Chris Hemsworth makes his heroic speech about jumping the chasm on his dirtbike is still hilarious, even the second time. I really think the cabin segments might've been stronger if he had been allowed to turn on and let his "Thor" persona off the chain, but I understand I'm a bit of a minority where it comes to recognizing Chris Hemsworth as a comic talent.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

MrGreenShirt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsMKOx6fumc

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

The second season of Bob's Burger is up. One of my favorite animated show from the last couple of years.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Alex WS posted:

The second season of Bob's Burger is up. One of my favorite animated show from the last couple of years.

Score. I didn't like it at all at first, but it's quickly growing on me.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Score. I didn't like it at all at first, but it's quickly growing on me.

It gets compared a lot to early Simpsons, which I think is pretty accurate. It handles the balance of character development and gags really well, and it's done a great job of world-building over three seasons.

It's not as good, but what is?

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Alex WS posted:

There's a lot of great stuff in season 2 (and a lot of surprisingly good songs), and I highly recommend it. In fact, I might watch it again myself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
After watching The Cabin In The Woods, which was really fun and you all should watch it, netflix suggested Gingerdead Man 3: Saturday Night Cleaver and I my brain process feel like forgot how to things.

• Locked thread