Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006

Camo by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Hiding behind a tree with a 50mm lens is challenging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

DSC00250 by borkencode, on Flickr

DSC00153 by borkencode, on Flickr

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

That whale(s?) photo is fantastic.

I had an outrageously lucky wildlife encounter on an overnight backpack last week. I planned on some long landscape and lizard shots but never expected to run into this beast. :3:

Young Desert Tortoise by Icybacon, on Flickr

It was climbing up while I was headed down between boulders, so I went around to give it space and get a nice little video of it from a respectful distance.

Desert Tortoise by Icybacon, on Flickr

Tiny tortoise was maybe 5" long. :3:

So far I've seen 2 tortoises in 3 trips from the same place. It's definitely incredible luck, but they also might just go unnoticed a lot considering I almost stepped on both of them before realizing they weren't rocks.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
I really need to start saving for a lens with a little more reach. Also shooting from the bed of a truck is hard so I had to trash even more pictures than normal. These were taken at Elephant Mountain WMA in West Texas in case anyone was interested.

Big Horn by atticus_1354, on Flickr

Mule deer by atticus_1354, on Flickr

red racer by atticus_1354, on Flickr

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006
cause

Bruiser by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

effect

Flight by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

haircut

800_2886 by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Yellow-Banded Poison Dart Frog by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Good lord, Flickr loves to crush blacks.

Black And White Colobus by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

William T. Hornaday fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 7, 2013

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

William T. Hornaday posted:

Good lord, Flickr loves to crush blacks.

Black And White Colobus by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

Looks just fine to me :allears:

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Deer by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

DNM-lizard-FS 1425 on Flickr

Not sure what kind of lizard this is (photo was taken in Northeastern Utah).

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Alligator by pboutell, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Got ridiculously lucky yesterday when my wife noticed this badger running in the ditch beside the car. I'm outdoors a lot and this is the first badger I've ever seen in the wild. Through the excitement there was a bit of chaos resulting in some less-than-ideal pictures but thankfully he did turn to face us one last time before disappearing across a field.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

InternetJunky posted:

Got ridiculously lucky yesterday when my wife noticed this badger running in the ditch beside the car. I'm outdoors a lot and this is the first badger I've ever seen in the wild. Through the excitement there was a bit of chaos resulting in some less-than-ideal pictures but thankfully he did turn to face us one last time before disappearing across a field.

The badger pic is excellent! The only badger I've ever seen in the wild (alive), I got a lovely picture of it's arse. I didn't know they had such fur-puffs behind their ears.

Some oryx graced me with their presence the other day. I turned off the car and hopped out, but dipshits pulled up right next to them and nearly got them hung up on some barbed wire. Poor guys.

El Paso County by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

El Paso County by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

My fiancee yelled "OH MY GOD!!!" a couple hours ago. Turns out there was a deer standing right outside the door to our house.

Deer by iantuten, on Flickr

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Ghost Cactus posted:

Some oryx graced me with their presence the other day. I turned off the car and hopped out, but dipshits pulled up right next to them and nearly got them hung up on some barbed wire. Poor guys.

Do you live in El Paso county or were you just passing through? Where did you see these guys?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I take my camera everywhere. Sunday morning, driving for bagels? Camera. Couple Sundays ago, it was threatening rain, and I was up early, left camera in house for bagel run. So?

IMAG0015 by torgeaux, on Flickr

IMAG0016 by torgeaux, on Flickr

My HTC is not as good as my 5DIII with the 24-105 I carry as my walk around lens. Got a short video, too, of him capturing and killing the squirrel. Lots of good opportunities if I'd had a real camera, or even a camera where push shutter button to photo wasn't apparently 10 seconds.

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.

Huggable Bear King fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 4, 2013

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

torgeaux posted:

I take my camera everywhere. Sunday morning, driving for bagels? Camera. Couple Sundays ago, it was threatening rain, and I was up early, left camera in house for bagel run. So?

IMAG0015 by torgeaux, on Flickr

IMAG0016 by torgeaux, on Flickr

My HTC is not as good as my 5DIII with the 24-105 I carry as my walk around lens. Got a short video, too, of him capturing and killing the squirrel. Lots of good opportunities if I'd had a real camera, or even a camera where push shutter button to photo wasn't apparently 10 seconds.

These are still awesome! I try to console myself by thinking "well, I wouldn't have seen that if I had brought my camera" because it would have taken me 10 extra seconds or something to get out the door.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Do you live in El Paso county or were you just passing through? Where did you see these guys?

I live here - saw them on Ranch Road 2775. Apparently they're all around White Sands Missile Range too. I'd seen them a few weeks before and got cellphone pics (see above).

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
Double post, but this one has pictures. Western Diamondback, I do believe.

This guy/gal wasn't too big - about 2 1/2 feet or so. Only rattled when my freaked-out friend walked up behind it.

El Paso County, TX by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

I like that when it decided to leave the road, it was raised up like "okay, I'm going this way, but I'm still a badass and you should be afraid of me." Don't worry sir, I'm plenty afraid.

This one's a crosspost from Critterquest

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

WHO LIKES RABBITS

_6040246.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

_6040216.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

_6040210.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

_6040202.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Also a grackle i guess.

_6040239.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

My bunny is shyer than yours

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Those are actually 3 rabbits. My yard is the only one on the street that's fenced but doesn't have a dog, so it's the cool hangout for rabbits who want to relax and chill. :geno:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
This guy's name is Booger. His hobby is hanging out under my fiancee's car.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

QPZIL posted:

This guy's name is Booger. His hobby is hanging out under my fiancee's car.

Please tell me you gave him that name, and not some local 8-year-old.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

ExecuDork posted:

Please tell me you gave him that name, and not some local 8-year-old.

My fiancee did.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

I managed to find this in the woods while hiking along the coast in Spain.

Untitled by like okay cool dude, on Flickr

Its eating a lizard.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Crosspost from Critterquest.

Bughunt in Saskatoon 11 by Execudork, on Flickr

Bughunt in Saskatoon 12 by Execudork, on Flickr
Muskrat

Bughunt in Saskatoon 13 by Execudork, on Flickr
Beaver

Bughunt in Saskatoon 17 by Execudork, on Flickr
Garter snake

Bartleby
Sep 23, 2004

Special needs since 2003
Woke up to this out of my window. I call this one Ingrid, she is Swedish.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
Some wildlife from a trip to Acadia and Bryce Canyon!

Pronghorn Antelope at Dusk by no3rdw, on Flickr

Canyon Tree Frogs by no3rdw, on Flickr

Rattlesnake by no3rdw, on Flickr

I wish I had an opportunity to get a better photo of the rattlesnake... but also I'm glad I didn't accidentally step on him, sitting under a rock in the middle of a trail.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
From Jasper National Park

Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism

Ghost Cactus posted:

Double post, but this one has pictures. Western Diamondback, I do believe.

That mid air shot is so cool.

Red panda by faltion, on Flickr

Day Gecko by faltion, on Flickr

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Awesome red panda shot. They're so photogenic.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I don't have great equipment and I can't really edit, but I still kinda love this.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
BEARS!

Whistler Summer 2013 by hookshot88, on Flickr

And also a peeing deer:

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Gerenuk by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

:stare:

Did you not read the thread title?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

xzzy posted:

:stare:

Did you not read the thread title?
I was above them on a chairlift my risk of getting mauled was pretty low... the plan had been to go hiking, but when I killed my knee skiing I was on crutches for four days, so I just rode up and down the chairlifts looking for bears most of the day.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Has anyone mounted their dslr to a spotting scope? Specifically I have a D5100 and am going to be buying a spotting scope soon and want to use it to get long range video of some wildlife. Any suggestions ideas or examples of setups with any camera or scope?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Atticus_1354 posted:

Has anyone mounted their dslr to a spotting scope? Specifically I have a D5100 and am going to be buying a spotting scope soon and want to use it to get long range video of some wildlife. Any suggestions ideas or examples of setups with any camera or scope?
I haven't personally, but I see lots of people who do it. If you search for "digiscoping" I'm sure you'll get tons of useful info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Atticus_1354 posted:

I don't have any experience with it, but Nikon recently started making scope-to-DSLR adapters:
http://www.nikon.com/products/sportoptics/lineup/dsystem/fsa-l1/index.htm
http://www.nikon.com/products/sportoptics/lineup/dsystem/fsa-l2/index.htm

I've heard from other wildlife photographers that the quality doesn't compare with using proper telephoto lenses, but I guess it's better than not having a super telephoto setup and a lot cheaper if you're already getting a scope.

A bull roosevelt elk with a deformed antler and a fresh wound on its defenseless side

A spotted banana slug in the undergrowth

A river otter mother and two pups

I'm really thrilled to have gotten this last one. It took almost three years living in this area before I caught more than a fleeting glimpse of a river otter.