Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I put LTE in Courtenay last summer.

If it doesn't work very well, well, we got very drunk in the Fluid Lounge pretty much every night

edit: The River Heights Motel was also where we stayed, if price matters to you. It was pretty decent.

ante fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
My sister has an iPhone 5 on Rogers. She just called me for advice - really pissed off at her most recent bill which states 25GB of usage and a correspondingly huge overage fee. Rogers fobbed her off with a bullshit excuse that "she didn't close her apps like Facebook and Twitter". Obviously this is not explanatory for two reasons: 1) these apps don't background on iOS, and 2) even if they did, there's no way to account for that sheer volume of data.

This seems... suspicious. She's the typical non-geek early-twenties girl - perfectly competent at tech, understands the difference between WiFi and cellular, but not into anything exotic like podcasting or tethering or what not. Normally her usage fits into her 500MB plan easily, and this month she's not done anything different to her knowledge in her usage patterns.

I, by contrast, am a prolific user of cellular data - for podcasts, tethering, Google+ hangouts, Skype - you name it, and yet I've never come close to my 6GB allowance (4.5GB or thereabouts is my current maximum).

So this bill simply doesn't make sense. Anyone have any theories what might be going on? The competence of Rogers in accurately measuring and billing is, of course, a matter of some suspicion right now.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Have her check Settings > General > Usage > Cellular Usage

There was something wonky with one of the early iOS 6 versions and push email that caused a bunch of data usage IIRC

Rogers should reduce the bill if she finds the problem and fixes her phone

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

mewse posted:

Have her check Settings > General > Usage > Cellular Usage

There was something wonky with one of the early iOS 6 versions and push email that caused a bunch of data usage IIRC

Rogers should reduce the bill if she finds the problem and fixes her phone

She's running iOS 6.1. And her lifetime data counter is 30.2G Sent, 2.5G Received. That's... absurd. There's no usage pattern that would explain such an asymmetry in favour of upload. My own 4S has Sent: 3.8G, Received: 40.6G.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Will Canadian carriers still unlock phones, or did they stop when the US passed that law?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Okay, my old contract with TELUS is finally up! I still have the old Blackberry Curve that was with the account. I don't want the phone to go to waste and instead want to donate it to charity if possible. Two questions:

1: Is there anything I have to do with the phone apart from resetting to factory defaults? It never had a SIM card so I can't just remove that.

2: Where can I send it? What places will accept cell phone donations?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lexicon posted:

That's... absurd.

Agree

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Mak0rz posted:

Okay, my old contract with TELUS is finally up! I still have the old Blackberry Curve that was with the account. I don't want the phone to go to waste and instead want to donate it to charity if possible. Two questions:

1: Is there anything I have to do with the phone apart from resetting to factory defaults? It never had a SIM card so I can't just remove that.

2: Where can I send it? What places will accept cell phone donations?

1. Factory reset should be fine. Remove your memory card if you have one.

2. I know most Bell stores accept used phones, regardless of carrier, for proper disposal and recycling, with proceeds going towards saving pandas or something like that.

Aphrodite posted:

Will Canadian carriers still unlock phones, or did they stop when the US passed that law?

Yes, they still unlock phones, albeit with some strict policies and a high fee, depending on the device you want unlocked. Use an online service or local repair shop if at all possible (i.e, not an iPhone).

Lexicon posted:

So this bill simply doesn't make sense. Anyone have any theories what might be going on? The competence of Rogers in accurately measuring and billing is, of course, a matter of some suspicion right now.

I've seen stories about situations like these on the internet. It seems to be an extremely rare glitch that causes some error in data calculation yet looks totally legitimate and has no sign of an error on the carrier's part. Maybe it's an obscure glitch, maybe the phone is somehow transmitting a copious amount of data in error. The trouble is proving that you were not at fault, which can be extremely difficult. If she's never had this problem before, Rogers may allow a one time adjustment. If worse comes to worse try the link in the OP regarding escalating complaints, it's apparently helped some goons here. I'm assuming Rogers has a self serve app of some kind that can track data, so I'd advise monitoring that on a daily basis to see if it keeps happening.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Guys,

Bought an old unlocked AT&T iPhone 4 from my friend. I want to use this on Rogers. What, if anything do I need to do other than trim down the SIM card or buy a new SIM card from Rogers?

Will I need to inform Rogers of this at all? I'll be moving form an iPhone 3G to this iPhone 4 so should my visual voicemail work if I just pop my sim card into the new i4? Do you know if I'll have to change any APN settings on the new phone? It did come from AT&T after all. Will it just automagically download all the new stuff from Rogers when I put the SIM card in or will I need to do anything manually? I'm using the 500mb plan which kind of sucks but I've never even come close to hitting 500mb since I'm literally within spitting distance of a wifi point most of the day. This data plan should should work fine, right? There wasn't any difference in data plans for the 3G and 4 or anything esoteric like that, right?

Sorry if this is all basic. I would call Rogers and ask them but to be completely honest I trust you guys more than their phone support, and I don't really want to deal with any sales pitches or being pressured into buying a whole new phone by going to ask someone at a Rogers kiosk. Not to mention I don't trust some random mall dude to not out and out completely lie and tell me it's not possible in order to sell me a new phone.

My number one priority in all this is not going back on contract with any cell provider at the moment so I'll be happy to keep chugging along with my 500mb plan, etc. :)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 6, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

OilSlick posted:

Yes, they still unlock phones, albeit with some strict policies and a high fee, depending on the device you want unlocked. Use an online service or local repair shop if at all possible (i.e, not an iPhone).

Is that use an online service if it is an iPhone, or isn't? It's not for me, so I can't really do anything myself, just asking for a friend.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Martytoof posted:

Guys,

Bought an old unlocked AT&T iPhone 4 from my friend. I want to use this on Rogers. What, if anything do I need to do other than trim down the SIM card or buy a new SIM card from Rogers?

I suggest purchasing a micro-SIM, it's only $10. iPhone doesn't doesn't allow you to edit APN settings because... just because. You also can't manually edit the voicemail number because... it's an iPhone? Regardless, everything should work fine if it's an iPhone that's been properly unlocked with a proper sim card.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Is that use an online service if it is an iPhone, or isn't? It's not for me, so I can't really do anything myself, just asking for a friend.

If it's not an iphone, you can likely get it done a sketchy mall kiosk or buy a code from ebay and do it yourself. iPhones are a bit different, you should have it done by the carrier, if they support unlocking. According to Apple all the Canadian carriers will unlock iphones, except for Bell, Sasktel and Virgin.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Use one if it is NOT an iPhone. According to the iPhone jailbreaking thread there is no way to unlock an iPhone without carrier intervention unless your iPhone is super old.

Martytoof posted:

iPhone stuff

1. If you are able to successfully cut down your SIM card to fit the new iPhone, then yes, that's all you need to do. You do not need to inform your carrier that you are moving your SIM card. They don't know, don't need to know, and probably don't care. Otherwise, you'd need to get them to give you a new SIM card. This shouldn't renew your contract, even with Roger's penchant for re-signing you if you look at them funny

2. There is no difference in data plans for different iPhones. They are the same for all iPhones, Android, and Windows devices. They would use the same amount of data.

3. You may need to change the APN settings to access 3G, not sure about that one. Calls and texts should work just fine with no work required on your part.

4. Don't be afraid if you need to ask Rogers any questions about this. It's pretty basic stuff, even for them. There's no way they can seriously harm you. Hell if they resigned your contract the new laws can only charge you a maximum of $50 to cancel a contract if there was no device subsidy which should be easier to argue out of, so it's much less scary now.

Justaddwater
Jul 4, 2006

WienerDog posted:

I suggest purchasing a micro-SIM, it's only $10. iPhone doesn't doesn't allow you to edit APN settings because... just because.

You can. Just use wifi to get to this site on the iPhone. Sometimes you have to reboot afterwards and make sure wifi is off to test it.

http://unlockit.co.nz/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Awesome info everyone, thanks! Hopefully I don't have to dick with the APN stuff but I'll know when I actually have the device in hand.

I'm probably just going to buy the SIM card since I'll have to do it anyway if I gently caress something up, and I'd like as little to go wrong on day one as possible :haw:

rt_hat
Aug 3, 2003
YARRRR
Here's my experience in getting a Rogers iPhone 4 unlocked with Rogers :

I ported two telephone numbers from Rogers to Virgin Mobile two weeks ago. One of my phones was unlocked and that went well. The other phone was an iPhone 4 locked to Rogers. No surprise that the Virgin SIM card did not work.

I called Rogers support in the evening and talked to the CSR. They agreed to unlock it for 50$+tax (57.50$ total) and took my credit card information. It took about 1.5-2 hours bouncing between hold and not on hold. Apparently there was a bit of difficulty because :
- my account was closed.
- the iPhone 4 was a second-hand phone (bought from someone on the classifieds).
- we didn't tell Rogers when the iPhone 4 was put in use.

Information they needed :
- my account number.
- the telephone number associated with the phone.
- the phone's IMEI, make and model.
- payment info.

So if you want to get your iPhone 4 unlocked smoothly with Rogers :
- notify Rogers when you do bring a different phone on their network so they can update the IMEI information (unless you purchased it through them).
- do it with an active Rogers account.
- back up your phone using iTunes and make sure there's enough room left to restore it.

The CSR did some stuff with the information I sent him. After time had passed, he asked me to do an iTunes restore on the phone. Then I powered off the phone, put in the Virgin sim card and powered it back on with Rogers as a distant memory (besides the last month's bill). No need to change APN settings or anything.

rt_hat fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 8, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I believe my friend is buying it from someone who had it through Rogers and just bought a new phone, so most of those hoops should be non-factors. Thanks, I'll let them know.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Justaddwater posted:

You can. Just use wifi to get to this site on the iPhone. Sometimes you have to reboot afterwards and make sure wifi is off to test it.

http://unlockit.co.nz/

I've never heard of this before, thanks for the link.

Still, I don't understand why they won't let you edit it yourself in the settings menu.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Updated the OP a bit. Now with 16% more discount carriers!

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

OilSlick posted:

Updated the OP a bit. Now with 16% more discount carriers!

Maybe add Speakout? They are great for low usage users and emergency phones.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Don't know how useful it would be to many but, I'm currently visiting the US, and Roam Mobility is a Canadian MNVO of T-Mobile that offers prepaid plans with unlimited talk/text to the US and Canada with a solid amount of data. Way better rates than roaming and/or long distance with a 365 day expiry.

Starhawk
Mar 28, 2003

I am leaking dangerous cargo.
Last night I tried to check my data usage in the "My Telus" official android app. The saved password didn't work like it usually does, so I pasted it in again from keepass which it rejected, and then finally accepted on the third try. Although it signed me into somebody else's account. Some girl named Erica in the 403 area code (I'm 519/226). I was able to browse through all the pages just as if it was my own, could see her favorite numbers, her bill, plan, usage, everything.

I can't even begin to imagine the level of incompetence it takes for that happen. Should I tell Telus about it? Text Erica and tell her that Telus lost control of her information? Or just keep my mouth shut and pretend it never happened?

Starhawk fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 9, 2013

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Starhawk posted:

Last night I tried to check my data usage in the "My Telus" official android app. The saved password did work like it usually does, so I pasted it in again from keepass which it rejected, and then finally accepted on the third try. Although it signed me into somebody else's account. Some girl named Erica in the 403 area code (I'm 519/226). I was able to browse through all the pages just as if it was my own, could see her favorite numbers, her bill, plan, usage, everything.

I can't even begin to imagine the level of incompetence it takes for that happen. Should I tell Telus about it? Text Erica and tell her that Telus lost control of her information? Or just keep my mouth shut and pretend it never happened?

Uh, well, if you want to be helpful then I guess you should probably let Telus know. I don't think I'd tell Erica about it because I don't see how her life would be improved in any way by a random text that says "I just read your phone bill. I'm from the internet". Informing Telus of the error should suffice, as a privacy breach of that magnitude, while probably not enough to cause a lawsuit, should still probably cause someone somewhere in the company to crap their pants. It's probably not a common glitch and they probably aren't aware of it. If it were a known issue, I'm sure we'd have heard the shitstorm by now.

That sure is weird, though. I've only used the Bell self serve app and it doesn't require a password. It's connected directly to your phone number.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
So I'm mulling over what plan to go with.

Currently I have one line with Rogers, off contract:
$55 - Talk, Text, Wireless Internet ($60 - $5 credit)
- 3 GB data
- Unlimited Canada wide minutes
- Unlimited domestic text messages
- Basic voicemail + call display
+ $5: - Android Value Plan
- Upgraded voicemail (more than 3 messages)
- Call display with name
- Unlimited international text messages

I need to get a second line and my options are:

1) Sign a contract with the same plan as above
(I don't know if I would get the save together discount if I didn't sign a contract on both lines)

2) Switch to a family plan with two lines and roll other phone in:
$100 - Talk, Text, Wireless Internet ($120 - $10 credit - $10 save together discount)
- 6 GB data (shared)
- Unlimited Canada wide minutes
- Unlimited domestic text messages
- Basic voicemail + call display
(I am guessing I'd be paying $5/line for the better voicemail/call display)

3) Speak to Rogers corporate and try to get a plan with my CBA discount.
(I've never dealt with the corporate people so I wasn't sure what kind of plans they have available)

Any suggestions?

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 9, 2013

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Starhawk posted:

Last night I tried to check my data usage in the "My Telus" official android app. The saved password didn't work like it usually does, so I pasted it in again from keepass which it rejected, and then finally accepted on the third try. Although it signed me into somebody else's account. Some girl named Erica in the 403 area code (I'm 519/226). I was able to browse through all the pages just as if it was my own, could see her favorite numbers, her bill, plan, usage, everything.

Definitely tell Telus. And because I'm an rear end in a top hat (and paranoid about data privacy in general) I'd use it as a excuse to make a big stink about their incompetence, insecurity of my data, etc. You might get something out of it.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

:siren: :siren: Telus is buying Mobilicity! :siren: :siren:

It was really only a matter of time.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

This is the worst. gently caress the useless failures at the CRTC.

mewse
May 2, 2006

eXXon posted:

This is the worst. gently caress the useless failures at the CRTC.

I can't even get upset about this because of how horrible our carriers are

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The article says it hasn't been approved by the CRTC (or the Competition Bureau, or Industry Canada, or shareholders/debtholders) yet...

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

The article says it hasn't been approved by the CRTC (or the Competition Bureau, or Industry Canada, or shareholders/debtholders) yet...

Whatever Canadian telecom wants, it gets.

It's inconceivable this could ever be struck down a-la the failed AT&T purchase of T-Mobile in the USA.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

Regardless, it means Mobilicity's brass want out. Maybe shareholders don't; we'll see. But I can't see how this could possibly end well. Maybe the CRTC will get up off its rear end and reserve more of the new spectrum for Wind/Mobilicity, but if they don't have the money to pay for it then even that fantasy is a moot point.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Oh I'm fully aware how loving useless the CRTC is and how bullshit this deal is, I was just pointing that out because the above posters were saying "gently caress the CRTC" when they hadn't approved anything yet.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I was saying gently caress the CRTC for letting it get to this point and failing miserably at encouraging competition.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

eXXon posted:

Regardless, it means Mobilicity's brass want out. Maybe shareholders don't; we'll see. But I can't see how this could possibly end well. Maybe the CRTC will get up off its rear end and reserve more of the new spectrum for Wind/Mobilicity, but if they don't have the money to pay for it then even that fantasy is a moot point.

It's not so much "their brass want out" as "they are on the verge of bankruptcy as it stands". It's debatable whether they would even have survived until Industry Canada's block on them selling their spectrum to incumbents (because it's them that runs the spectrum auctions and handles set-asides, not the CRTC) expired in 2014.

(and it will also be interesting to see how Telus and their management intend to dance around that restriction.)

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 16, 2013

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why does everyone charge extra for caller ID, does it actually some how cost them anything? Fido calls me every few months offering me a free month or two of caller ID, or some super discount. I keep asking why they charge for it when no one else does and of course the poor indian call centre worker doesn't really know to respond to that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Of course it costs them nothing. In fact they probably have to go out of their way to actually remove the ID from your call.

I literally thought that my friend was joking when he told me it was a pay feature when I first moved back. Ridiculous.

The big three won't offer it for free unless they're either forced to, or one of them changes policy and forces the others to be competitive. Which will never happen.

Canadian telecom is a joke.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Martytoof posted:

In fact they probably have to go out of their way to actually remove the ID from your call.
Just FYI: They do. But they make even more money off charging it to folks at $7 a pop.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Of course it costs them nothing. In fact they probably have to go out of their way to actually remove the ID from your call.

They do, caller ID data is contained automatically in packets, they have to strip it out if you don't pay for caller ID. It's an utter joke.

e:fb

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Martytoof posted:

The big three won't offer it for free unless they're either forced to, or one of them changes policy and forces the others to be competitive. Which will never happen.

Actually, all three of Our Benevolent Overlords now offer call display as part of all new plans from what I can tell. (if you have an old plan, of course, gently caress you.)

Canadian Telecom: Because We Can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Do the new plans "happen" to cost $7 more? :haw: