Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

So I set a few more e-mails to a few guys, including this ZRX1100 for shits and giggles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012
Just wanted to say thanks to y'all for answering my questions and helping me search for a bike. Ended up picking this up for my first ride:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

That is probably the nicest (un-hosed-up) Ninja 250 I've ever seen

Congrats dude. :)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, that is absolutely gorgeous. Great color.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Xovaan posted:

That is probably the nicest (un-hosed-up) Ninja 250 I've ever seen

Congrats dude. :)

Pretty sure that's a Ninja 500. Nice bike though :)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ElMaligno posted:

So I set a few more e-mails to a few guys, including this ZRX1100 for shits and giggles.

Excellent. Buy it and there can be at least another person with a rex on here :)

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Abe Froman posted:

I think I'll ask him to put a stockish throttle on, as I don't want a quarter turn racing throttle.

Ha, that's a really good idea. I would suggest watching him do the throttle tube or do it yourself though, it's a really easy mod and someday you might want that wider throttle tube back on.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I've found that the cam profiles for the "quick" throttles don't really add to the sensitivity of the first few degrees of usage over the stock ones. The main reason people go for the quick throttles is so the pull to WOT is shorter. I had an R6 tube on my SV650 and I have an R1 tube on my Bandit (~25% and 35% difference, respectively) and the low speed maneuverability didn't change much with each swaps, if at all. :)

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I ended up selling my XS400 earlier today. I wanted to pick up a Ninja 250. After browsing craigslist for a couple weeks, I couldn't find any 200x unmolested Ninjas for under $2000 in Seattle. Is it normal to find 1990s Ninja 250s to be priced at $1500+? I found one that's in decent condition but he's asking for $1600. I tried to get him down to $1300 but he countered with $1500. I think I maybe able to get it for $1400 but is it worth it to even pick it up at that price?

It's a '95 and has 12,000 miles on it. He said it runs and starts fine. I'll be checking how old the tires are when I check it out. Is there anything I should be looking for in particular with these kind of ninjas?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
$1500 is about the floor for a running, complete, titled bike around Seattle this time of year. Ninja 250s didn't change much either, so buying a good running '95 is about as good as buying a good running '03.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago
I'm looking at a 2006 sv650n with 8400 miles. Pretty immaculate condition, m4 exhaust, slip on handlebars, frame sliders. Think I can get the guy to take $3500. He's at $3700. Worth it? Am I being stupid and should just take the sv1000s I posted about last page?

Abe Froman fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 7, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
The 650 will be enough for the street for sure, but why would you sell your bike and pay for a 3700 dollar motorcycle when you could trade for one straight up? You're way too worried about this if it's just about the 1000 vs 650. I haven't ridden a 1000 but I wouldn't be surprised if you found yourself wanting the extra grunt after a few weeks on the 650.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

nsaP posted:

The 650 will be enough for the street for sure, but why would you sell your bike and pay for a 3700 dollar motorcycle when you could trade for one straight up? You're way too worried about this if it's just about the 1000 vs 650. I haven't ridden a 1000 but I wouldn't be surprised if you found yourself wanting the extra grunt after a few weeks on the 650.

Well, my dad would just resell the 1000 so I wouldn't be paying anything for this one either...just giving him my Ninja.

I'm not really so concerned about going to a 1000...I like the looks of the 650 better and its in better overall condition, but point taken.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Z3n posted:

Pretty sure that's a Ninja 500. Nice bike though :)

Yeah the belly pan gives it away right? IIRC the OP was going to be commuting on it so the 500 should be nicer than the 250.

Abe Froman posted:

Well, my dad would just resell the 1000 so I wouldn't be paying anything for this one either...just giving him my Ninja.

I'm not really so concerned about going to a 1000...I like the looks of the 650 better and its in better overall condition, but point taken.

Oh I see. Well you gotta buy the bike you want and I prefer naked with bars too, but you can always swap that with the 1000. I'd see if someone here has 1000 vs. 650 experience on the street cause I've only ridden the 650. I do know that I would choose my FZ6 over a FZ1, but I think the 1000 is the same size as the 650 but with more power.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 7, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

Yeah the belly pan gives it away right? IIRC the OP was going to be commuting on it so the 500 should be nicer than the 250.

Oh I see. Well you gotta buy the bike you want and I prefer naked with bars too, but you can always swap that with the 1000. I'd see if someone here has 1000 vs. 650 experience on the street cause I've only ridden the 650. I do know that I would choose my FZ6 over a FZ1, but I think the 1000 is the same size as the 650 but with more power.

It (almost) is, also has properly adjustable suspension which doesn't suck and 4-piston brakes which combined make a HUGE difference to handling. Plus a dual-can exhaust, if that's your thing. Also the sv1000s has blindingly, ridiculously powerful headlights compared to the sad single bulb on the nakeds.

Abe I think the 650 is probably a better bike if you've only ever ridden regularly on a 250, but the 1000 is something you're more likely to keep for much, much longer without getting bored or spending money on making it better.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'll play devils advocate and say if you're just going to street it either is fine but a 650 is a fine motorcycle. It's plenty fast, a relaxing yet exciting at times throttle personality, cruises good, well mannered around town, great ergos and MPG. I don't know what much of else you could want.

If you are thinking 'well that all sounds great but I'd like it to be a bit sportier...', I still don't know I'd choose an SV1000. Seems to me 650 or bust, meaning if you want more sportiness or zest from your engine than a SV650 I'd be looking beyond the brand and going for a mild mannered supersport (FZ1 comes to mind) or one of the modern fantastic nakeds.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
The 1000 has a GSXR front end and some other stuff tho, I forgot about that. Tough call.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

nsaP posted:

The 1000 has a GSXR front end and some other stuff tho, I forgot about that. Tough call.

The 1000 is a better bike on all levels. It's got more torque, has the GSXR stuff at both ends, and the sort of power that will never leave you wanting for more. As long as you don't live in the midwest.

The slugs of power you get from that thing at low rpm is fun. :-) And it winds out well too. The only good answer here is SV1000.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Ah, I wasn't paying attention to specific for sale ads. A GSXR front end beats stock front end anyday and if you are saying "I'm buying this or that" go the 1k if its in budget and has the GSXR front end.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Honestly I'd go for the SV1000. It's not a bad bike and most nitpicking around it, while valid, is still something you have weigh against the experience of riding it for yourself. From the sounds of it, the bike is a really good straight-up trade and you'll likely keep it for a long time. Pretty good mods to boot.

It's a fast bike, sure, but bikes only go as fast as you twist your hand. Plus, if you don't like it after a few hundred miles, as you said, you can always find something else.

The main reason I'd do the trade is because it is basically removing all the nightmares involved with buying a used bike. This alone is worth it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
A big complaint about the SV platform is the suspension is made of soggy licorice, the 1000 already has that at least half-sorted. Looks aside a bikini fairing is a really nice thing to have and also brings functional lights. I'd go with the 1000, but you alluded to issues with it's condition that could be more of a factor.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

Well its not like the sv1000 is in bad shape. It has blemishes that I expect you'd find on any bike and was sitting in a garage for awhile without being cleaned up. While the 650 looks fairly pristine. The guy who has it now bought it in July of 2010 and has put a total of 800 miles. Plus the sv1000 guy seems like a dunderhead while the sv650 guy is some middle aged dude who works on classic cars and who obviously takes care of his poo poo so I guess I trust his history more. I know if the sv1000 wasn't already purchased the 650 would be in my garage tomorrow.

I'm sure I'm over thinking this.

Abe Froman fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 7, 2013

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Solution:

Buy them both, convert the 650 to full time track duty, daily drive the 1k

Comedy option: Make like the other goon and buy a ZRX

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Speaking of which, is there any reason I should be looking at a Bandit over say, an older ZRX1100 for an intermediate bike?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Comfortable seat and ergos, reliable, sky-is-the-limit upgrades, torque for days. It's up to you to decide which bike this describes best. :madmax:

But really, I absolutely love my Bandit. It's gobs of unrefined power strapped to a couch. Fairing with an extended windscreen does a really good job at blocking wind. Also, listening to Z3n say "oh wait, I was in 5th and that was roll-on acceleration" blasting past me, two-up with my girlfriend, is hilarious.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Spiffness posted:

Solution:

Buy them both, convert the 650 to full time track duty, daily drive the 1k

Comedy option: Make like the other goon and buy a ZRX

Hey <:mad:>

I traded my 650 for a ZRX.

astrollinthepork posted:

Speaking of which, is there any reason I should be looking at a Bandit over say, an older ZRX1100 for an intermediate bike?

Xovaan posted:

Comfortable seat and ergos, reliable, sky-is-the-limit upgrades, torque for days. It's up to you to decide which bike this describes best. :madmax:

But really, I absolutely love my Bandit. It's gobs of unrefined power strapped to a couch. Fairing with an extended windscreen does a really good job at blocking wind. Also, listening to Z3n say "oh wait, I was in 5th and that was roll-on acceleration" blasting past me, two-up with my girlfriend, is hilarious.

I would counter with amazing looks and attention-grabbing ability, and more suspension adjustability (I could be wrong wrong about the bandit on this front).

I'd say a B12 is probably a better bike overall, but I've lost count of the number of people who can't stop looking at my rex or ask me about it; noone really looks twice at a bandit (which can be a good thing). I prefer riding something gaudy and eye-catching over something anonymous; on the other hand I'd say a B12 has a fair bit more grunt than a ZRX1100 which was one of the main complaints about it when it came out, hence the extra 100cc halfway through the model lifespan.

edit: the bolded part pretty accurately describes the rex too, except you're always aware that you're doing it on something that looks like it was painted by ronald mcdonald on acid.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 7, 2013

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Both ZRX and Bandits can be made to make metric fucktons of power and handle really well, so it's a tossup on the visible vs. invisible aspect, definitely. I do enjoy the fact that cops don't look twice at 23-year-old-me on a Bandit wearing an Aerostich though. :ninja:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Xovaan posted:

Both ZRX and Bandits can be made to make metric fucktons of power and handle really well, so it's a tossup on the visible vs. invisible aspect, definitely. I do enjoy the fact that cops don't look twice at 23-year-old-me on a Bandit wearing an Aerostich though. :ninja:

Every cop I've spoken to has been of the middle-aged variety and said something along the lines of 'aren't you too young for something like that?'. Lazyboy rockets rule.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

astrollinthepork posted:

I think the ZRX looks way better. But that's just me. The end goal for me is a turbocharged ZRX. Although now that I'm going racing again, probably be awhile before I do another project!

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

Went with the 650. Got the guy to agree to $3500. Hope I made the correct choice.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Goon asking advice.txt

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Abe Froman posted:

Went with the 650. Got the guy to agree to $3500. Hope I made the correct choice.

The worst decision would have been no decision, so you've already won at life.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

nsaP posted:

Goon asking advice.txt

Sorry bra, I did appreciate everyone's advice/opinions. I had to go with my gut and just felt a lot better about the 650 - about the bike itself and how it fit in with my riding style, ability, and what I'm looking for. At least I didn't come in asking advice about a first bike and end up buying a super sport or something. :downs:

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Ha, had a guy come up to me and start talking bikes, said he wanted a Ninja. "Which one?" "I don't know." So I started talking about the various beginner ninjas, and he got this look on his face and said he might be considering a wide glide, which is where I quickly ended the conversation because if you're in a teenager or in your early 20's and talking about buying a luxury road sofa new you're in dreamworld and not going to buy a loving bike because you want to ride but rather because you just want a certain look. Dude didn't want any advice beyond a "yahbrah".

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Xovaan posted:

The lazyboy feeling is why, though it is kind of watered down, I keep being glad I went with the wider, longer Buell instead of the standard one. That drat seat is just so comfortable, it fits my butt exactly. As for getting/not getting attention, people not interested in bikes walk right past it, people kind of interested in bikes go "that looks awesome what is it", and people that think they know about bikes are often rather negative.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Ha, had a guy come up to me and start talking bikes, said he wanted a Ninja. "Which one?" "I don't know." So I started talking about the various beginner ninjas, and he got this look on his face and said he might be considering a wide glide, which is where I quickly ended the conversation because if you're in a teenager or in your early 20's and talking about buying a luxury road sofa new you're in dreamworld and not going to buy a loving bike because you want to ride but rather because you just want a certain look. Dude didn't want any advice beyond a "yahbrah".

You know those luxury road sofas are really fantastic to ride. Folks here like to boil it down to the look and circle jerk around that but really they're great bikes and you're never too young to ride a great bike. Keep on ending those conversations though, that's how you make friends.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Last group ride I was on had:
Bandit 1200, Brammo Empulse R, Ducati 999, BMW R1200ST, and a Kawasaki ZX6E. The unlikeliest bedfellows. All we needed was a cruiser, and soon we might have one of those around again too!

Vessel From Denny
Nov 20, 2007
Hey yall, Im new to bikes and dont really know what im doing so I thought maybe you could help. Ive been looking for older cheaper bikes to get me started since I havent ridden a bike for many years. I saw this thing and thought it looked cool

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/3779546747.html

I emailed him and he had this to say about it

quote:

Its is a 650 engine so not too big but still gets up. Honestly i just bought the bike a month ago without ever riding a bike and i was able to learn on this one by myself after i watched a youtube video. the bike works fine, when i bought, the front fork oil was leaking so i fixed that and in the process i just added the K&n air filters and the Dynojet stage 3 carburetor kit. I rode the bike from Baltimore to towson yesterday on 695 doing like 95mph at one point so its good. I'm just selling it because my wife is graduating from law school and i need to pay for her party and the money i used to buy and fixed the bike was supposed to be for that so...

So aside from the weird impulsive excuse hes using for selling. does it seem like something worth checking out?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Seems like he's asking way too much for it. It's probably jetted like poo poo, but maybe not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

clutchpuck posted:

You know those luxury road sofas are really fantastic to ride. Folks here like to boil it down to the look and circle jerk around that but really they're great bikes and you're never too young to ride a great bike. Keep on ending those conversations though, that's how you make friends.

He went from supersport to cruiser, talking only about how sick those bikes looked. He wasn't even close to thinking about ergos or how nice they must ride. He didn't know poo poo and was a young jerk-off who liked the idea of bikes more than thinking about how much fun it must be.