Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

cooldude2.0 posted:

I was thinking today how I want the volumes in coffee table book form.
Then I was thinking I could use the plotter at work to print out a giant page from the manga. Now I just have to find the best page.

I don't think I've laughed harder than when One Punch Man revealed his secret training regimen, so use that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Wow, that was short.

Pretty awesome, but short.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I was not expecting the King to look like that.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

7c Nickel posted:

loving heart shaped nipple pasties. :magical:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

7c Nickel posted:

Oh buddy, you ain't seen nothing yet.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Oh god, the next issue is confirmed by the artist to be 100 pages long.
Well see you all at new years.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
I thought that was just the scanners pasting his tweet onto the title page. Is it actually more official than that?
I want to see a 100 page chapter

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
It's good to see some heroes are genuinely powerful as hell and reliable.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Liar posted:

It's good to see some heroes are genuinely powerful as hell and reliable.

Well, Stringer is a good guy but he's not exactly super powerful. If you look back at the last chapter you can see the news doesn't agree with his assessment on the threat level of the fishmonsters.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

AnonSpore posted:

the news doesn't agree with his assessment on the threat level of the fishmonsters.

He comes off as the kinda guy who became a hero because he wanted everyone to love him as a celebrity hero, so exaggerating, even just to himself, the threat he's facing to a disaster that will destroy all humanity is probably just an extension of that. He's like the opposite of Saitama.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

onepixeljumpman posted:

He comes off as the kinda guy who became a hero because he wanted everyone to love him as a celebrity hero, so exaggerating, even just to himself, the threat he's facing to a disaster that will destroy all humanity is probably just an extension of that. He's like the opposite of Saitama.

He just loving destroyed an army of thirty-foot tall fish monsters... I doubt these were weak monsters. Each could probably wreck a city. And he even managed to take four out at once while being physically exhausted enough to barely be able to stand.

I'm just saying the guy might have some cause to be a bit cocky. If you're saving the goddamn city every other day is it so wrong to enjoy the celebrity that gets you?

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
When the TV report that clued Saitama and Genos into the problem, it described the disaster level as "Tiger." According to Genos's description of disaster levels, "Tiger: Threat to an unspecified large number of human lives."

When Stinger finished off the last four enemies, he estimated that their total threat would be "God" level, "Threat to humanity." I'm not saying he's not super tough, one of the ones he took out was listed as "Tiger" on it's own and he took down ten by himself while getting a roughed up face. I'm just saying he's prone to exaggerating.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I'm just waiting for Saitama to cause some kind of insane vortex while running to this place.

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.
For those who aren't familiar with bamboo shoots, it's the edible thing attached to his spear. He's basically stabbing everyone with a carrot.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

By the by, we don't really feel it because Saitama is so freakishly strong, but anywhere from demon up is a serious threat that calls for the intervention of an S-class hero. Many of the enemies we've already seen, from the mosquito woman to Beefcake to Asura Kabuto, were easily demon level threats who would be able to give multiple low-ranking S-classers a run for their money. So when Stringer takes out a bunch of tiger level threats by himself he's actually doing really good for an A-ranker. It's just that when compared to the likes of Saitama, or even Genos or Sonic, he's way out of his league.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
And isn't he like the first guy out of the heroes to ya know actually beat an enemy on screen. All the other heroes always get their rear end kicked or get hosed up to the point they have to leave the screen. Until Saitama shows up and just one punches everything which fine with me because most of these heroes are just douchebags.

Except Watchdog-man.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Shindragon posted:

And isn't he like the first guy out of the heroes to ya know actually beat an enemy on screen. All the other heroes always get their rear end kicked or get hosed up to the point they have to leave the screen. Until Saitama shows up and just one punches everything which fine with me because most of these heroes are just douchebags.

Except Watchdog-man.

Genos beat up the Gorilla, off screen but the Gorilla guy was much tougher than these scrubs.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

AtomikKrab posted:

Genos beat up the Gorilla, off screen but the Gorilla guy was much tougher than these scrubs.

Genos is a primary character versus Stringer who's just some random hero. Most of the time when we see heroes leaping into battle it's to showcase how easily the villains are capable of defeating them. I think the only real exception was when we saw that one woman beat up the wind-robot guy... but then he wasn't dead quite yet... I forget her name.

failedninja
Nov 29, 2008

Shindragon posted:

Except Watchdog-man.

It barely counts but those B rank suits ganged up on that one guy and beat him.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
The best part about the Rank B heroes will always be that Tank Top Tiger manages to be considered a worse hero than all of them.

Also, question for the people who have read the original: when do we get to meet Metal Bat?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

The best part about the Rank B heroes will always be that Tank Top Tiger manages to be considered a worse hero than all of them.

Also, question for the people who have read the original: when do we get to meet Metal Bat?

He appears in the next major arc.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

The Lord of Hats posted:

Was he some Baseball star that was so good he became a hero?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So was the original translated into english?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So was the original translated into english?

Believe it or not some people are actually bilingual.

Anyway, I just took a peek at Murata's drawing stream and he's doing a scene from chapter 27. The most recent chapter covers up to the end of chapter 24. So it looks like he was serious about the 100 page thing (if there was ever any doubt).

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 6, 2013

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

AnonSpore posted:

Believe it or not some people are actually bilingual.

Anyway, I just took a peek at Murata's drawing stream and he's doing a scene from chapter 27. The most recent chapter covers up to the end of chapter 24. So it looks like he was serious about the 100 page thing (if there was ever any doubt).

So at this point, who's stronger? Saitama or Murata?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Onepunch-Man is Murata's autobiography

Murata just posted on his twitter in English that he's finished pencil drafts for 70 pages already. Jesus Christ.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 6, 2013

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
As great as he is, it still seems strange that the publisher lets him do full color whenever and however many pages. Bakuman told me color pages are a rare treat. This is printed in a magazine, right?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

cooldude2.0 posted:

As great as he is, it still seems strange that the publisher lets him do full color whenever and however many pages. Bakuman told me color pages are a rare treat. This is printed in a magazine, right?

No.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

cooldude2.0 posted:

Nope, just online so he basically has free reign.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
One Punch Man is as close to independent publishing as the Manga industry can possibly get. Murata makes it himself on what is essentially his own schedule. As far as I can tell, he doesn't have anyone looking over his shoulder about any of this except maybe ONE.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

cooldude2.0 posted:

Nope, it's posted online. Thus all the fancy storyboard-esque sequences that have to be changed when it's collected into volumes.

He can pretty much do whatever he wants whenever. It's just lucky that he is apparently the most industrious mangaka alive. We'd be SOL if Murata (of Berserk fame) was doing this.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Begemot posted:

Nope, it's posted online. Thus all the fancy storyboard-esque sequences that have to be changed when it's collected into volumes.

He can pretty much do whatever he wants whenever. It's just lucky that he is apparently the most industrious mangaka alive. We'd be SOL if Murata (of Berserk fame) was doing this.

Berserk is done by Kentaro Miura, not Murata.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

JosephWongKS posted:

Berserk is done by Kentaro Miura, not Murata.

Augh, I am idiot.

Yes, imagine the horror of things being exactly as they are now!

Miura. Not Murata.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Judging from the scene he's drawing right now, Murata's finishing up work on chapter 28 (again, the most recent chapter finished with the end of chapter 24). I'm guessing that he might end it in the middle of chapter 29, given the pacing so far and how he said he was 70 pages in around chapter 27. At his current rate that'll put him at finishing the rough pencil sketches today/tomorrow, which leaves him more than a week to fine-tune the drawings and then ink them.

Good_Haro
Mar 14, 2009

Noted shitposter.

AnonSpore posted:

Judging from the scene he's drawing right now, Murata's finishing up work on chapter 28 (again, the most recent chapter finished with the end of chapter 24). I'm guessing that he might end it in the middle of chapter 29, given the pacing so far and how he said he was 70 pages in around chapter 27. At his current rate that'll put him at finishing the rough pencil sketches today/tomorrow, which leaves him more than a week to fine-tune the drawings and then ink them.

It took him like 2.5-3 days to ink the 60 page color chapter from what I remember, so it sounds like he's on track to finish on time.

Begemot posted:

He can pretty much do whatever he wants whenever. It's just lucky that he is apparently the most industrious mangaka alive.

He does have deadlines and an editor who he has to get approval from before pulling these crazy stunts (at least as far as I understand it from some comments he's made). Being an online publication missing the deadline isn't as much of a fuckup though. They do give him a lot of freedom, but it's not like he's just doing literally whatever he wants on his own schedule.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Good_Haro posted:

He does have deadlines and an editor who he has to get approval from before pulling these crazy stunts (at least as far as I understand it from some comments he's made). Being an online publication missing the deadline isn't as much of a fuckup though. They do give him a lot of freedom, but it's not like he's just doing literally whatever he wants on his own schedule.
While we are in the topic about the industrial deadline, mind giving me a comparison on why Yoshihiro Togashi of Hunter × Hunter's fame gets to pick any schedule for a not-online publication?

I heard he's very sick, but how does it works for the publisher's industry deadline when an author is sick? Cause it feels like the publisher will let him off indefinitely until he can do a few chapters and the cycle repeats.

Sorry if there's a Manga Industrial thread somewhere.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nyaa posted:

While we are in the topic about the industrial deadline, mind giving me a comparison on why Yoshihiro Togashi of Hunter × Hunter's fame gets to pick any schedule for a not-online publication?

This is probably unlikely, but from what I've heard, it's because Yu Yu Hakusho was so popular that Togashi gets a lot of leeway nowadays.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
HxH is also incredibly popular. As for Togashi's medical issues, no one really knows the specifics. He might be desperately ill or he might be weird and sort of lazy. As far as I know, there is no concrete evidence on the matter whatsoever.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
When you create 2 of the top 20 most popular Shonen Jump titles ever and sell over 100 million tankobon, they give you a lot of leeway.

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/02/26/the-best-of-the-best-of-manga-shonen-jumps-20-best-sellers-of-all-time/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

ZerodotJander posted:

When you create 2 of the top 20 most popular Shonen Jump titles ever and sell over 100 million tankobon, they give you a lot of leeway.

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/02/26/the-best-of-the-best-of-manga-shonen-jumps-20-best-sellers-of-all-time/

This plus being married to the author of Sailor Moon.