Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Ravi has been recalled.

There goes all my optimism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.
You seem to have missed something far more important.

:siren:Dernbach is not in the squad:siren:

I repeat, :siren:Dernbach is not in the squad:siren:

Frankly, picking Bopara is entirely forgivable under these circumstances.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I don't know what Alex Hales needs to do to get in the squad for one of these loving things.

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

I should have thought that would be obvious. Sign for Warwickshire.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Of note this evening is Essex getting annihilated by Hampshire in the first Yorkshire Bank 40 match of the season.
244/7 isn't great, but it's not bad.
Losing in 30 overs, by 9 wickets, however. That's bad.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Trent Copeland got 10 wickets (5 and 5) yesterday, looks like we can't depend on both Aussie batting and bowling to suck this time around. The more I think about it the less ridiculous the idea of an all-bowling Australia seems.

Oh, and gently caress the BCCI, Eng, Aus, NZ and SA should pull out and only play tests against each other.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Unimpressed posted:

Trent Copeland got 10 wickets (5 and 5) yesterday, looks like we can't depend on both Aussie batting and bowling to suck this time around. The more I think about it the less ridiculous the idea of an all-bowling Australia seems.

Oh, and gently caress the BCCI, Eng, Aus, NZ and SA should pull out and only play tests against each other.

Who is the 5th country that refuses to be bullied by India?

sixteenstraws
May 7, 2009

slave to a label but I own my masters
zimbabwe would probably side with sa

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Unimpressed posted:

Copeland is a really good bowler. Just been cursed with injury the last 2 or 3 seasons.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Largepotato posted:

Copeland is a really good bowler. Just been cursed with injury the last 2 or 3 seasons.

I think he was a little too slow for test level wasn't he? Just not penetrating enough? I don't mind the old military-mediums though, him and Butterworth would do well with extended international runs imo.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

So if I wanted to try to get into cricket, what would be a good match to start with? An ODI or any good tests coming up?

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Teddybear posted:

So if I wanted to try to get into cricket, what would be a good match to start with? An ODI or any good tests coming up?

Wait for the England tests. England tests are always good because we go easy on smaller teams to make it entertaining.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Also, we will be mouthy as gently caress while they're going on.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Unimpressed posted:

South Africa are as much in their pocket as anyone else, Australia are getting that way too.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

Smorgasbord posted:

Who is the 5th country that refuses to be bullied by India?

Pakistan? Not that they probably get voting rights anyway..

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
What the hell is the jogger in the green and yellow supposed to be?

Edit: nevermind, was overthinking.

Gambrinus fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 5, 2013

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Rogers makes a double ton for Middlesex, meanwhile Warner is playing in the IPL and I don't know if he's ever played a form of cricket other than T20 in the UK. I wonder who they will choose to open in the first test?

Pollard just dropped Hussey twice in a row

edit: three times, holy poo poo.

Centusin fucked around with this message at 13:24 on May 5, 2013

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Scylo posted:

And now four catches dropped by Pollard off Johnson.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Scylo posted:

Maybe he was trying to follow David Hussey's advice.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
IPL update:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Noice :stare:

sixteenstraws
May 7, 2009

slave to a label but I own my masters

david miller was 41 off 22 when kohli dropped this catch. he ended up 101* off 38.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Please tell me that killed Virat Kohli, or at least permanently left him unable to open his mouth.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

sixteenstraws posted:

david miller was 41 off 22 when kohli dropped this catch. he ended up 101* off 38.

Yeah, and then he came out and thanked Jesus Christ for his talent. :ughh:

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Glenn Maxwell and Phil Hughes can't get any games for their IPL teams, but some 41 year old Indian man that has hardly played any "official" cricket has gotten a game for the Royals today. The IPL is kind of weird.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
I'm not sure Maxwell cares, being paid $1 million and all.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Quanta posted:

Please tell me that killed Virat Kohli, or at least permanently left him unable to open his mouth.

He can only suck BCCI cock out of one side of his mouth now.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Doctor Cave posted:

I'm not sure Maxwell cares, being paid $1 million and all.

Most of that money is only awarded if the player is actually selected.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Mister Chief posted:

To be told it's a million-dollar agreement and be literally too poo poo to be paid any of it... that is delicious

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

He can only suck BCCI cock out of one side of his mouth now.

When harsha bhogle stops doing it

defending BCCI's handling of the Tim May-Sivaramakrishnan vote

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
Harsha Bhogle can get hosed forever

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

The Indian inferiority complex is reaching satirical levels.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Mister Chief posted:

Is it? I figured they bid to have them in the team and then they got match payments on top or something. Otherwise why the hell is Maxwell hanging around? Spose he'd still be getting a tidy sum even if most of the million isn't in his pocket.

Scylo posted:

Glenn Maxwell and Phil Hughes can't get any games for their IPL teams, but some 41 year old Indian man that has hardly played any "official" cricket has gotten a game for the Royals today. The IPL is kind of weird.

I like T20 for this kinda stuff. He didn't bowl great (better than Tait though) but it reminds me of Brad Young getting games in the BBL. You see some totally random domestic cricketers getting games out of nowhere for whatever reason (promotion, squad depth being used I'm guessing mostly) and it owns.

Also that dude named Sachin Baby must get so much poo poo on the field.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

PTizzle posted:

Is it? I figured they bid to have them in the team and then they got match payments on top or something. Otherwise why the hell is Maxwell hanging around? Spose he'd still be getting a tidy sum even if most of the million isn't in his pocket.

And they've probably got them tied up in hundreds of contracts telling them what they can and can't do and say.

I've always wondered how IPL contracts actually work, because it surely can't just be as simple as "bid $1m for someone, you win, you pay them $1m". I've always wondered how the IPL makes money at all really with the type of figures they throw around. I know Indian cricket gets shitloads from advertising, but still. Part of me suspects it's just a big money laundering scheme.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
They get huge crowds, TV deals, advertising and the squads would be smaller than most sports (plus it's not like everyone gets a million, I think most of the work-horses would be on 100-200k). In a country with a billion-plus people with the main sport being cricket it's not hard to see that it'd turn a massive profit.

I only really like it as a retirement fund for awesome older cricketers.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

The "huge crowds" won't matter a great deal because the regular tickets are probably very cheap because India's a poor country. Advertising and corporate sponsorship seems to be their main income, but the entire thing feels like a bubble waiting to burst to me.

This article expands on this: http://www.livemint.com/Consumer/Vx82Oge7kJ5nYt6rylf5FM/Profits-still-elude-some-IPL-teams.html

"Barring two-three teams, none of the IPL teams are making money. The ones that are, also are not making serious money,” said an executive from one of the franchises who wanted to remain anonymous."

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

It seems that Adil Rashid might have remembered how to bat. Now if he can remember how to bowl as well, Yorkshire might well stay up this year...

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Ilanin posted:

It seems that Adil Rashid might have remembered how to bat. Now if he can remember how to bowl as well, Yorkshire might well stay up this year...

I dunno. If they keep racking up big innings scores, I doubt they'll lose too many games.
Lancashire, though, are batting like they belong at club level this season.

Also, Ishant Sharma's efforts in the IPL today will have given renewed hope to Saj Mahmood that he can get a contract next season.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Ilanin posted:

I remember a few years ago he was the Next Big Thing. Selvey on the Grauniad has indicated (obliquely) that Rashid has no chance of playing for England again. What's the story there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

He's following the Graeme Swann career path. Arrive on the scene as an England prospect very young, impress everybody, get picked once or twice, act like a twat for a while pissing off everyone in the current set-up, and then lose form and completely fall out of consideration. What remains to be seen is if he manages to regain form in a few years' time (which would conveniently also be about when Swann and Panesar are around retirement) and come back into contention.

• Locked thread