Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Nearly all of the base classes are pretty solid and the only notable problem with the Fighter is that people willing to dip into making and toying with crazy classes aren't interested in playing a simple "I hit things with my sword" character. Gnome's changes can be cool, but it's not like he's salvaging a trainwreck or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

LordZoric posted:

This is more the case in my opinion. :) Thankfully a lot of progress has been made in this thread.

Honestly, you're right. The druid's probably my favorite base class, but even it has issues.

I'm don't even want to look at the ranger.

ed: The reason I don't really like classes that have nothing but combat abilities baked into them is that my group so rarely runs any game that focuses on combat. Whenever we do people mostly just get bored or lose focus. The base fighter would be fine by me if I ever did something like a dungeon crawl.
Now it strikes me as a bit funny that I'm playing a game called "Dungeon World".

KillerQueen fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 6, 2013

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013
Hey y'all, ran my first game last week and it was a total blast. Most of my players had never done a tabletop RPG before and folks were really into it. Unfortunately our session had to be cut a little short due to outside circumstances so we ended up only getting to done one big scene after character creation before we had to call time. However, everyone was really stoked on it and want the game to be a regular thing which is awesome! I had a few questions for folks who've been running the game for awhile. We're running with just the base classes from the book, although my Bard is using the Improved Bard sheet.

How does Divine Guidance usually play in your sessions? I've got a cleric whose god's domain is Knowledge and Hidden Things and whose petition is Gaining Secrets, but I'm not sure exactly how that's going to/supposed to play out in the game.

For Wizards, how regularly do you have them encountering places of power for the Ritual move? What's your general framework for deciding if a place is one of power or not?

Finally: Loot. How much/what sort of loot do y'all hand out? I get that Dungeon World isn't really a kleptomaniac, steal all their stuff kind of game (or maybe it is, depending on yr group), but I've never run or really played in a dungeon crawl/fantasy-type game and I'm a little out of my depths when it comes to what I should be giving them and how often.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

LordZoric posted:

KillerQueen posted:

The moral of the story is that the Fighter all of the base classes could be a lot better.
This is more the case in my opinion. :) Thankfully a lot of progress has been made in this thread.

I agree with this, definitely. It was certainly one of the reasons I started making all the classes I did in the first place. The core classes are solid, but my oh my they can get boring. Coincidentally, I got in a conversation on G+ with Sage and a couple other folks over there about how The Thief is really really lacking in Stealth moves, and it reminded me that LemonCurdistan's City Thief really really needed a playbook version made up of it. So I made that happen.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

gnome7 posted:

and it reminded me that LemonCurdistan's City Thief really really needed a playbook version made up of it. So I made that happen.

This is totally an excuse to repost the City Thief since I made some more moves for it to eliminate the poison angle completely (and also since I love getting gnome to hate me):

quote:

The City Thief

The following changes represent a slightly different type of Thief - one perhaps involved in... darker projects.

Starting moves:
Replace Poisoner with:

Avoid the Light
When you stand in shadows or darkness without talking or moving, NPCs will never notice you as long as they haven’t already spotted you. If you’re more than a few feet away from them, they won’t see you even if you move or attack and even if they know you’re there.

Advanced moves 2-5:

Replace Envenom and Brewer with:

Contortionist
You’re adept at bending your body in ways it was seemingly not designed to bend. You can fit into uncomfortably small places, and when you Defy Danger by dramatically dodging out of the way, take +1.

Thieves’ Highway
When you use the city rooftops to travel to your destination or escape pursuit, roll+Dex. On a 10+, choose 2; on a 7-9, choose 1:
- you get there unseen or lose your pursuers
- you get there in half the time it would normally take
- you leave nothing that could be traced back to you or your friends

Add:
Mechanical Eye
You have a mechanical replacement for one of your eyes. You can see without difficulty in total darkness and its increased visual acuity gives you +1 to hit targets at range, but sudden exposure to bright light disorients you.

Stealthy Dabbler
Choose one non-multiclass move from another class. Treat your level as one lower for the purpose of choosing this move, unless that move makes you more agile or stealthier.

Advanced moves 6-10:

Replace Alchemist with:

Thief-Acrobat
Requires: Contortionist
You never lose your balance, and you always land on your feet. When you fall from any height, as long as you can find a way to break or cushion your fall, you take no damage.

Add:
Without Being Heard
You’re preternaturally silent, and will never make any noise unless you want to. You don’t need to Defy Danger to move about quietly.

Stealthy Initiate
Choose one non-multiclass move from another class. Treat your level as one lower for the purpose of choosing this move, unless that move makes you more agile or stealthier.

New equipment:

Blackjack (hand, nonlethal, 10 coins, 1 weight): this small club has a lead-filled leather pouch for a head. It is specially designed to knock victims out, as thieves have generally found it easier to rob people when they aren’t able to protest.

Flash bombs (3 uses, 20 coins, 1 weight): these glass bulbs contain two carefully-separated alchemical substance which, when they come in contact with each other (when the glass is thrown with enough force to break it, for example), emit a very bright flash of light. Anyone who was looking in towards a flash bomb at the moment of impact will end up blinded by the flash for a few seconds - good for making a quick getaway.

Moss arrow (1 use, 20 coins, 0 weight): this arrow’s glass tip contains fast-growing moss spores. When fired against a hard surface, the tip shatters and releases the spores. Over a few seconds, these will grow into enough moss to cover a couple of square feet. The moss is so thick that walking on it won’t make any noise, no matter the underlying surface.

Water arrow (1 use, 5 coins, 0 weight): this arrow’s glass tip contains an alchemical payload designed to snuff out your average torch, lantern or camp fire (despite the name, do not try drinking it). Just shoot it at a hard surface close to the open fire you’re trying to extinguish and gravity will do the rest.

Fire arrow (1 use, dangerous, 50 coins, 0 weight): this arrow’s glass tip contains two highly volatile chemical substances kept carefully separated, much like flash bombs. Unlike flash bombs, when the glass breaks and the two substances mix, the resulting reaction is somewhat... explosive. Anyone within a few feet of a fire arrow’s impact point takes 2d8 damage (forceful, messy, ignores armour).

Gas arrow (1 use, nonlethal, 50 coins, 0 weight): this arrow is tipped with a carefully-designed slow-release mechanism for varenech seed gas. When the tip of the arrow hits something solid, the mechanism starts pumping gas into the surrounding area. Anyone who breathes in even a little bit of this gas takes 4d6 nonlethal damage.

New weapon tag:

Nonlethal: it’s designed to knock people unconscious, not deal real damage. If you reduce them to 0 HP with this, they just get knocked out for a few hours.

New starting gear section:

Your load is 9+Str. You start with adventuring gear (5 uses, 1 weight), leather armor (1 armour, 1 weight), flash bombs (3 uses, 1 weight) and 10 coins.
Choose your arms:
- Blackjack (hand, nonlethal, 1 weight) and short sword (close, 1 weight)
- Dagger (hand, 1 weight) and rapier (close, precise, 1 weight)
Choose a ranged weapon:
- Shortbow (near, 1 weight) and quiver of arrows (3 ammo, 1 weight)
- Throwing knives (thrown, near, 3 ammo, 1 weight)
Choose one:
- Dungeon rations (5 uses, 1 weight) and one healing potion (0 weight)
- 2 water arrows (0 weight) and 2 moss arrows (0 weight)

Thieves' Highway is from my Assassin, but the only reason it's in the Assassin playbook is that it wasn't already in the Thief one.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Changed, but I'm done touching it now. :colbert:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Should I point out that having poisons on the gear page when the Thief no longer has poison moves is a bit weird? :ohdear:

Here's what I have so far for the Assassin. It is missing four 6-10 moves, so I would appreciate suggestions, but there's a catch: those can't be moves about poison, disguises or being stealthy since those are already covered by the Thief/City Thief.

quote:

STARTING MOVES

Cat’s Grace
Your coordination and agility are enhanced. You can jump three times your height and fall a great distance without harm.

Stakeout
When you spend several hours scoping out a place, person or situation, you can Discern Realities with +Int and add the following question to your list of choices:
- what would be the most opportune moment to strike?

Miséricorde
When you take the time to carefully aim an attack against a defenceless or unaware creature, your damage roll is maximised.

Contract Killer
When you have downtime and put out word that you’re looking to take on a contract, roll +Int. On a hit, someone approaches you with a job - they’ll give you a name and maybe a description. Roll 2d6: that’s what the job is worth to them, in tens of coins; take it or leave it. On a 7-9, the job has strings attached - they want you to kill the target in a specific way or place, by a specific time, etc. If you fail to complete a contract, take -1 ongoing to Contract Killer until you prove your worth again.

ADVANCED MOVES 2-5

Bound Weapon
When you take a few hours to ritualistically prepare a weapon, you can reach into any shadow and draw that weapon out, regardless of its physical location.

Ill Repute
When you put out word that you’re looking to take on a contract and get offered a job, their offer is double your roll.

Thieves’ Highway
When you use the city rooftops to travel to your destination or escape pursuit, roll+Int. On a 10+, choose 2; on a 7-9, choose 1:
- you get there unseen or lose your pursuers
- you get there in half the time it would normally take
- you leave nothing that could be traced back to you or your friends

Translocation
When you visualise your destination and step back into a space coextant with reality, roll+Int. On a 10+, you instantly reappear anywhere up to Near distance. On a 7-9, choose one:
- you reappear a few metres from your intended destination
- you reappear several seconds later
- you leave something behind when you disappear

Heightened Reflexes
You’re always the first to react to a perceived threat, and will always finish a task that requires manual dexterity before anyone else attempting it.

Vermin Friend
You are a friend to all the low forms of life - insects, rats, small birds, stray dogs, etc. and creatures of those types will never attack you. When you give them a simple order (“eat this,” “go over there,” “run away,” etc.), they’ll follow it as long as it doesn’t go against their instincts.

Corpse-Heart
You have complete control over your heart and can still it to a point where it barely beats. As long as you concentrate on slowing your cardiac rhythm, you cannot be detected through your life-force, your breath or your heartbeat.

Anatomist
When you deliberately aim for a creature’s vital organs, deal +1d4 damage.

The Creed
You have sworn to abide by a code of conduct, and its strictures guide you in your work. Describe your creed. When your obedience to your code gets that which you hold dear in trouble, choose one:
- you learn a useful piece of information
- you catch someone powerful's eye
- you make a new contact

Stealthy Dabbler

ADVANCED MOVES 6-10

The Professional
Replaces: Ill Repute
When you put out word that you’re looking to take on a contract and get offered a job, name your price. If they can afford it, they’ll pay.

Vermin Lord
Requires: Vermin Friend
When you summon verminous allies to your assistance, roll+Int. On a 10+, a great number of them answer your call, and they will ignore their instincts to fulfil any order you give them. On a 7-9, choose one: either you only manage to summon a handful to your aid, or they will only obey you so long as your orders do not run contrary to their instincts.

Bullet With Your Name On
When you engrave the real name of a person on a projectile, it will always strike them true as long as you can see them when you fire - no matter how improbable it would be for it to hit.

Devouring Shadows
When you whisper words of binding to shadows, you can wield them as a weapon with a range of Reach and the tags Area, Precise and Terrifying.

Cloak of Night
When you are at least partly in shadow or darkness, neither yourself nor anything you are touching can make any noise unless you wish them to.

Stealthy Initiate

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 6, 2013

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.
Maybe a more fiction driven move as an upgrade to Anatomist. Able to strike the organ wanted every time, and causing an effect in addition to the extra damage? Such as aiming for a lung, the target struggles breathing.

I remember someone here was taking about bring able to hide bodies via translocate. Maybe that could be an upgrade as well?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

RSIxidor posted:

Maybe a more fiction driven move as an upgrade to Anatomist. Able to strike the organ wanted every time, and causing an effect in addition to the extra damage? Such as aiming for a lung, the target struggles breathing.

Yeah, that is a good idea - I'll see what I can come up with, thanks.

RSIxidor posted:

I remember someone here was taking about bring able to hide bodies via translocate. Maybe that could be an upgrade as well?

This was tempting, but Vermin Friend/Lord is already meant to be usable to dispose of bodies, so I don't want to double up.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah, that is a good idea - I'll see what I can come up with, thanks.

This was tempting, but Vermin Friend/Lord is already meant to be usable to dispose of bodies, so I don't want to double up.

Totally missed, "eat this." Still, I think Translocation could get something extra. Maybe the ability to take someone (living) with you?

There might be something you could add to Creed as a 6-10 as well. I'm sorry that all my ideas are "add this to that."

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Got around to using the Hireling rules for the first time last session. A bit crunchier than I'd like for using on the fly, and we wound up ignoring most of the actual mechanics for their skills. Has anyone ginned together a lightweight replacement? I'm thinking of just giving them FATE aspects and if you have a hireling help you, you get +1 if their aspect applies (or possibly -1 if their aspect applies in a bad way)?

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Should I point out that having poisons on the gear page when the Thief no longer has poison moves is a bit weird? :ohdear:

Here's what I have so far for the Assassin. It is missing four 6-10 moves, so I would appreciate suggestions, but there's a catch: those can't be moves about poison, disguises or being stealthy since those are already covered by the Thief/City Thief.

I'd like to see more moves about the Assassin interacting with people in interesting ways. Perhaps an upgrade (Or a few) to contract killer?

with your increase in reputation, you get higher profile targets that pay more, or have more influential clients that you can lean on for useful favours.

Also perhaps a move about "making it look like an accident"? Something along the lines of if you kill the target in a certain way you can claim more reward, but if you blow it and get made you get nothing.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

This is excellent. Also, we really need to finish Exalted World.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I am shrugging so hard Atlas would feel it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I have a pounding headache right now so I'm not thinking too clearly, but the first thing that popped into my head is a staple of assassin fiction; When you elect to spare a contracted target's life by faking their death, roll +Int.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I have a pounding headache right now so I'm not thinking too clearly, but the first thing that popped into my head is a staple of assassin fiction; When you elect to spare a contracted target's life by faking their death, roll +Int.

I like it. I hope he likes it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The most basic idea I can think of is to make it a "pick two from the list on a 10+, pick one on a 7-9, on a 6- something bad happens" sort of deal. So a list for something like that might look like:

-The target will repay your mercy with a favor.
-Your deception is flawless; no one will suspect the target yet lives.
-?????? my brain is still running slow, something cool goes here.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

I can't sleep, brain won't stop going. Idea I had. Forcing myself to sleep now.

quote:

Destined

Since time began, those like you have been brought into existence, destined to do something of great note. Conceived by the fates, you come into the world to do their will- whether you want to or not. Though you likely don’t know what destiny awaits you, but you are aware that you are one of the heroes of time. Will you actively work toward your destiny, or try to drive away from what the fates hold for you?

DRIVE
Choose what drives you:

Fulfillment
Discover information that brings you closer to your destiny.

Participation
Accomplish an incredible quest.

Choice
Do something to prevent your destiny.

STATS
8+Con
d8 damage

EQUIPMENT
You start with leather armor, adventurer's gear, and dungeon rations.
Choose your weapons, found in a chest full of heirlooms:
Sword and shield
Hunter's Bow and ammo
10 Throwing daggers
3 spears
Choose your gear:
(stuff)

STARTING MOVES

Tools of Destiny
While adventuring, you’ve come across quite a few tools, perhaps by fate. These items don’t necessarily work the way you’d expect, such as a boomerang returning to it’s wielder even if they’ve moved around an area. Choose two from the following list, and describe the item and how it accomplishes its purpose.
- Something to bring things you can see to you, within near range.
- Something to take you to a place you can’t reach, within near range.
- Something to reveal secrets
- Something to let you breathe when you shouldn’t be able to
- Something ensorcelled with an arcane attack (choose an element for the attack, near range, single target)
- Something to make you stronger than you are (+1 to Str checks will using it)
- Something that lets you swim, climb, jump, or run (pick one) at a better pace than normal
- Something to destroy whatever blocks your path

A Fate of Many Quests (CHA)
When you enter a steading and your presence is known, roll+Cha. A number of quests will find you before you leave the steading and none of them will offer a reward. On a 10+, before you leave the steading, three quests will be asked of you. On a 7-9, 1 quest will be asked of you.

What Destiny Awaits?
At the start of each session, roll+Wis. On a 10+, choose two fates. On a 7-9, choose one fate.
- Prevent a great tragedy from affecting a nearby steading
- Uncover a great fortune
- Defeat an incredible enemy or overcome unbelievable odds
- Ally yourself with someone powerful
If you accomplish any of the fates you choose, mark 1 experience when you end the session.
The GM will choose one fate, foreshadowing your destiny.
- Make an enemy of someone powerful
- Lose something of importance to you or your allies
- Encounter overwhelming danger, beyond the norm, even for an adventurer
-

Hero of Time
(something)

Advanced Moves 2-5

Destiny Extended
Choose an additional item from the list in Tools of Destiny.

Advanced Moves 6-10

Destiny Expanded
Choose an additional item from the list in Tools of Destiny

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?
I don't know how to Dungeon World, help?

I'm starting up my first Dungeon World campaign soon, and one of my players just messaged me with this:

quote:

So, been looking though the classes and I'm thinking of going for the fighter class. I was thinking of a hunter/gatherer which would seem more rangery, but I don't really see him as having an animal companion. Basically his thing is that he's the guy who goes out and hunts monsters so that people don't have to eat mushrooms all day. He not only relishes the hunt, but also preparing anything he catches into a hearty meal... anything.
Anyway, I have some flexibility in case someone else wants to be a fighter or some such.
The setting, by the way, is the Infinite Dungeon where the entire world is a dungeon that people try to carve civilization out of.

I'm not sure what to do for him. Any advice? Fighter doesn't seem like a good fit, but he specifically denied Ranger because of the Animal Companion. Is there a good way to remove/replace the animal companion from Ranger or to add hunting abilities to something else? Or an awesome third-party class I've missed? I'm not entirely confident in doing this myself.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Maybe take the Improved Fighter from the 2nd post and replace I'm Your Opponent with the Ranger's Hunt and Track move?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Fighter seems fine for him, honestly. All of the stuff he described is fictional stuff that pretty much any class could do. The Fighter could have his Signature Weapon crafted from the bones of his greatest hunt, the Thief could focus on getting the drop on big beasts and taking them down with potent venoms he's extracted from snakes and spiders, the Druid could be a berserker kind of guy who takes on the traits of animals to blend in and take down his marks, a Cleric could worship the goddess of the hunt and take down grand beasts in her name, and if you get even more ridiculous with it there could totally be such thing as Huntomancy for a hunting Wizard; the Fireball takes them down AND cooks them at the same time! If I spent a bit more time I could probably make a decent excuse for the Bard and Paladin too, with the latter probably also being under the goddess of the hunt.

There's probably enough room to make a class all about hunting (especially with crazy stuff like Monster Hunter influences), but I'm not aware of one that exists at the moment and already have way too many other ideas I need to work on including finalizing one of my classes. If you run into a problem where your player really wants to do a thing a lot and you want to reward them for doing it, write a move for them. Maybe something like 'when you take the beast by the horns, roll +STR' for wrestling and maybe even temporarily riding wild beasts, or so on and so forth.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

madadric posted:

with your increase in reputation, you get higher profile targets that pay more

You mean like Ill Repute and The Professional? :P

I'd rather not write moves about using Contract Killer as leverage or whatever, because that would be saying that you can't do that unless you have the advance, which is not true - if you want to blackmail someone with the fact that you've killed for them, go right ahead.

madadric posted:

Also perhaps a move about "making it look like an accident"? Something along the lines of if you kill the target in a certain way you can claim more reward, but if you blow it and get made you get nothing.

Already part of Contract Killer, both as strings on a 7-9 and in general as a thing you can ask for. The people giving you these jobs are NPCs, so you can negotiate with them.

Kai Tave posted:

That's meant to be already covered by The Creed, although a wording change on the trigger is probably needed.

e; although it does give me an idea for faking your own death.

e2; vvv yeah, that is something I'll look at.

Thanks all!

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 7, 2013

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I think Kai's suggestion has merit, but it might work better as When you fake a death, either yours or someone else's, roll +INT...

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

quote:

Requiescat in Pace
When you fake a death, either yours or someone else’s, roll+Int. On a 10+, the evidence you planted is completely foolproof - everyone will be convinced you or the person you’re helping have died, and no one will ever go looking. On a 7-9, the staged death is sloppy and won’t stand up to rigorous inspection - although it looks convincing at first.

My only problem with this is it feels more like a 2-5 than a 6-10, but I don't see anything I could bump up. If anyone has suggestions as to how to jazz it up, that would be great.

Ended up tweaking the scope to make a 10+ entirely foolproof - should be a worthy 6-10 now.

RSIxidor posted:

Totally missed, "eat this." Still, I think Translocation could get something extra. Maybe the ability to take someone (living) with you?

Forgot to reply to this the first time: yeah, that's great. It's an easy upgrade move, so I'll add that. Not sure what I could add to The Creed.

RSIxidor posted:

I'm sorry that all my ideas are "add this to that."

Well, no, that's what I'm looking for.

e; renamed Translocate to Jaunt and gave the former name to its advance, changed the trigger to make it rely on shadows (less Dishonored-y, more in line with the rest of the class).

This is the new Jaunt/Translocate:

Jaunt
When you whisper words of passage and step into shadow or darkness (no matter how faint), roll+Int. On a 10+, you instantly reappear anywhere up to Near distance. On a 7-9, choose one:

Translocate
Replaces: Jaunt
When you whisper words of passage and step into shadow or darkness (no matter how faint), roll+Int. On a 10+, you instantly reappear anywhere up to Far distance if you’re alone, or you can take one passenger with you up to Near distance. On a 7-9, choose one:

Also renamed Stealthy Dabbler/Initiate to Sneak and Predator respectively, and changed their text to:

Sneak/Predator
Choose one non-multiclass move from another class list. Treat your level as one lower for the purpose of choosing this move, unless that move is from the Thief class or makes you more agile or stealthier.

e2; how's this?

quote:

Surgical
Requires: Anatomist
When you attack a defenseless creature, you can choose to disable any number of their limbs completely or partially, in addition to anything else.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 7, 2013

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Syka posted:

I'm starting up my first Dungeon World campaign soon, and one of my players just messaged me with this:

The setting, by the way, is the Infinite Dungeon where the entire world is a dungeon that people try to carve civilization out of.

I'm not sure what to do for him. Any advice? Fighter doesn't seem like a good fit, but he specifically denied Ranger because of the Animal Companion. Is there a good way to remove/replace the animal companion from Ranger or to add hunting abilities to something else? Or an awesome third-party class I've missed? I'm not entirely confident in doing this myself.

I do have The Marksman (also available in classic version), that might work for half of what he wants? I want to say that someone made a Compendium Class about cooking or eating what you killed, but I can't remember much more than that. Shoving the two of them together, or maybe swapping out the Ranger's Animal Companion for the CC's starting move, should give you a nice hunter-gatherer class.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Are there any differences in the races besides their class abilities? I'm looking at the free rulebook, maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see anything about it.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Dirty Job posted:

Are there any differences in the races besides their class abilities? I'm looking at the free rulebook, maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see anything about it.

They get their racial move for their selected playbook, and they get whatever influence the setting/fiction (predetermined or decided by consensus) gives.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Syka posted:

Fighter is a good fit, in my opinion. I don't see a reason not to allow the fighter's signature weapon to be ranged (just add near and far to the list of ranges), and I've in fact played a fighter who volleys more than she hack and slashes; it works pretty well.

A possibly better alternative, is take the ranger, replace the Animal Companion with something else (a compendium class starting move maybe, or some other move from another class), and replace advanced moves that refer to the animal companion with fighter advanced moves.

Prowave Tierdash
Mar 12, 2010
So last session the wizard in my game started getting weird, invasive nightmares from an obvious malefic presence (I won't say what since this player reads these boards!), so he decides to cast a ritual to set a trap in his mind while he sleeps for whatever keeps haunting him. When I tell him he can do this, but he exposes himself to a direct confrontation with this entity in his dreams, he asks if he can bring the party along and lo and behold we suddenly have an inception adventure. This kind of thing would never happen in D&D, Dungeon World rocks so hard.

Anyway, I told the players I would need some time to think about this, so we decided to put the dream world adventure off until today's session. I was toying with some ideas on how to give the players a good deal of creative control while in the dream (just like the main characters in inception can alter the dream), and I suddenly got the idea of changing Discern Realities into Define Realities. So here's my rough sketch for the custom move and I'd like input:

pre:
Define Realities
Whenever you attempt to bend the dream to your will, roll+Wis.  
On a 10+, the GM asks you 3 questions from the Discern Realities list.  
On a 7-9, the GM asks you one question from the discern reality list.  
Anything you say suddenly becomes fact within the dream, at least until someone else changes it.  
On a 6-, the malefic entity gets to Define Reality instead.
The way I imagine this is lets say a player attempts to Define Reality in order to escape the enemy invading her mind. He rolls an 8, so I ask him "What here is not what it seems?" and she responds "The floor is made of candy and I eat my way through it!" And suddenly the player is eating his way through a delicious floor to escape his foe.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

MagnesiumB posted:

Hey y'all, ran my first game last week and it was a total blast. Most of my players had never done a tabletop RPG before and folks were really into it. Unfortunately our session had to be cut a little short due to outside circumstances so we ended up only getting to done one big scene after character creation before we had to call time. However, everyone was really stoked on it and want the game to be a regular thing which is awesome! I had a few questions for folks who've been running the game for awhile. We're running with just the base classes from the book, although my Bard is using the Improved Bard sheet.

How does Divine Guidance usually play in your sessions? I've got a cleric whose god's domain is Knowledge and Hidden Things and whose petition is Gaining Secrets, but I'm not sure exactly how that's going to/supposed to play out in the game.

For Wizards, how regularly do you have them encountering places of power for the Ritual move? What's your general framework for deciding if a place is one of power or not?

Finally: Loot. How much/what sort of loot do y'all hand out? I get that Dungeon World isn't really a kleptomaniac, steal all their stuff kind of game (or maybe it is, depending on yr group), but I've never run or really played in a dungeon crawl/fantasy-type game and I'm a little out of my depths when it comes to what I should be giving them and how often.

So I actually haven't played DW, but I don't want this to get lost in the morass. Here's my take as an experienced GM with only theoretical knowledge of DW.

• For the Cleric, that seems like a cascading effect. When gaining a secret, they can petition to gain the benefit of more knowledge and hidden things. Though some things could be combat or adventure related directly (like a fire beast's secret weakness).
  • For Wizards, my thought might be to "flavor" the places of power and make them somewhat common. Not entirely RAW, but not really any more work. There might be a sacrificial altar which is a "place of power" with regards to demonic or necromantic magic. The wizard wants to use a ritual to make a sword with super awesome ice powers to give to the fighter so they can slay the fire beast they think is in the next tower? Sure - but it's going to be tainted with the "chill of death" or the "coldness of demonic hate."
  • With regard to loot, DW seems like a game where classic Moldvayian mundane loot could be awesome. So if it doesn't really have a game effect, there are no rules to break, so give it out freely. (Or rather, that's my plan.) A dagger that glows when orks are near? Sure, why not. Was I planning on orks? Not really, but that's a great soft move. Thief rolls a seven on Defy Danger. "Sure, you manage to draw your dagger while leaping from the balustrade and land on the fire beast's back, but as you do you notice that the blade is glowing a bright blue."

The pros may have better ideas.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

TheDemon posted:

A possibly better alternative, is take the ranger, replace the Animal Companion with something else (a compendium class starting move maybe, or some other move from another class), and replace advanced moves that refer to the animal companion with fighter advanced moves.

Reading various threads including the SA threads, I think this is something that gets missed a lot, since there aren't a lot (many/any) of Compendium Classes in the base rules. Nine times out of ten, I see a specialized class and think that a Compendium Class would be easier and more appropriate.

There's really nothing stopping a player from using a base class and then only taking compendium class moves. If you've got a wicked-awesome idea for a unique character concept, three compendium classes might make more sense than a new playbook.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Frankly, I think we need better compendium classes. We have a fair number, but they're kind of specialized? If there were a bunch of classes mirrored in some way as comp classes, that would be wonderful. And it would help that multiclassing issue some people like to obsess over.

Also I find the comp class starting move often isn't really worth a class advanced move, even if the later compendium class moves are pretty cool, which puts me off some.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Prowave Tierdash posted:

So last session the wizard in my game started getting weird, invasive nightmares from an obvious malefic presence (I won't say what since this player reads these boards!), so he decides to cast a ritual to set a trap in his mind while he sleeps for whatever keeps haunting him. When I tell him he can do this, but he exposes himself to a direct confrontation with this entity in his dreams, he asks if he can bring the party along and lo and behold we suddenly have an inception adventure. This kind of thing would never happen in D&D, Dungeon World rocks so hard.

We had something similar happen in our long running DW campaign. Except we all went into the Realm of Dreams ( in Planescape there is a realm for everything! ). We ended up with my character as a sorta mystery guide, going through each player character's dream, chasing clues to a mystery. It culminated with a fight at the Dream Well ( or something i forget what it was, Fountain of Dreams maybe? ).

It was a pretty cool session. And its definitely the kind of thing Dungeon World handles well.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

TheDemon posted:

We have a fair number, but they're kind of specialized? If there were a bunch of classes mirrored in some way as comp classes, that would be wonderful.

That's explicitly not the purpose of a Compendium Class, though? They are meant to be specialised, not violate niche protection.

If you want more multiclassing, just let your players take MC moves more than once.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

That's explicitly not the purpose of a Compendium Class, though? They are meant to be specialised, not violate niche protection.

If you want more multiclassing, just let your players take MC moves more than once.

Nonsense. There's nothing that says comp classes are meant to be specialized. The book reads:
"A compendium class is the way to go for a concept that can be layered onto multiple other classes."

That could be anything, specialized or generalist. If the prevailing opinion is that comp classes should be specialized only, my opinion is that that's the wrong approach and ought to be rethought.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Well, niche protection is a tricky beast. I'm not sure whether The Arrogant Bastard Demon meant the original classes mirrored, or the newer playbooks mirrored, but there's some element of truth there.

Take the most recently discussed new class, the Assassin. Why make it a core class? To be clear, I'm not saying it can't be, I'm just saying it can easily be a concept that works as a Compendium Class. A brash, in your face assassin a la Assassin's Creed? Fighter + CC. A sniper assassin? Ranger + CC. Traditional assassin? Thief + CC. Dark Sun Assassin? Bard + CC. Avenger? Cleric + CC. And so forth and so on.

Again, not saying it can't be done, but I think a lot of the "new" full playbooks (as opposed to the reimaginings, like the Improved Fighter and Mage) can more elegantly be done as CCs. There seems to often be discussion of "whelp, I've got twelve really cool moves, so I just need eight more to make this playbook." One of the first rules of editing/writing is to cut, not add. If you've got ten cool moves, you're either halfway to a playbook, or a few moves too far on an awesome CC.

And I don't know that the multiclassing "issue" is a desire for more of it.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 7, 2013

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe
Re: my Mage query from last page

Ich posted:

What I meant was: Do you understand that for non-aligned spells, mages get -1 to their roll?
As for aligned spells, they get the INT modifier, and your modifier for aligned spells will never drop below +1, even if you are somehow at INT -2.

That -1 to non-aligned rolls means if they're at high Intelligence, so INT+2, they roll+1 instead? If so, yes. The problem wasn't that he didn't get to roll+2 to do anything at all apart from his opposed elements. It was that he was allowed to do it at all, at +1 even!

I think it's too free for me.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

TheDemon posted:

Nonsense. There's nothing that says comp classes are meant to be specialized. The book reads:
"A compendium class is the way to go for a concept that can be layered onto multiple other classes."

That could be anything, specialized or generalist. If the prevailing opinion is that comp classes should be specialized only, my opinion is that that's the wrong approach and ought to be rethought.

They are meant to be things you can come up pretty rapidly to give player options for joining organisations or finding cool stuff.

quote:

A compendium class is like a mini-class, it’s a collection of moves around a fictional theme.

quote:

Compendium classes are best when they rely on what the character has done, not stat prerequisites or anything that happens without the player’s action. A compendium class that is available to anyone who just gained 5th level doesn’t stand for much; one that only applies if you’ve been to Death’s Black Gates and lived to tell the tale is more interesting.

Again: if you want more multiclassing, just let your players take MC moves multiple times instead of railing against the current state of affairs (or, you know, write your own CCs like you're supposed to!).

CitizenKeen posted:

Why make it a core class?

Because there is a clear fictional/thematic identity that is different enough to warrant a base class, because I had way too many moves for a compendium class, and because I know at least one person who will want to play an Assassin with the set of moves I wrote up rather than a Thief or Fighter or Bard with Contract Killer bolted on.

Incidentally, if you want to make the Assassin into a CC, here's how you do it:

The Assassin, CC version posted:

When you have taken a life in exchange for financial reward, you may take the following move when you next level up:

Contract Killer
When you have downtime and put out word that you’re looking to take on a contract, roll +Int. On a hit, someone approaches you with a job - they’ll give you a name and maybe a description. Roll 2d6: that’s what the job is worth to them, in tens of coins; take it or leave it. On a 7-9, the job has strings attached - they want you to kill the target in a specific way or place, by a specific time, etc. If you fail to complete a contract, take -1 ongoing to Contract Killer until you prove your worth again.

Once you've taken Contract Killer, the following moves count as class moves for you; in addition to your normal list of moves, you may choose from this list when you level up:

Stakeout
When you spend several hours scoping out a place, person or situation, you can Discern Realities with +Int and add the following question to your list of choices:
- what would be the most opportune moment to strike?

Ill Repute
When you put out word that you’re looking to take on a contract and get offered a job, their offer is double your roll.

Requiescat in Pace
When you fake a death - either yours or someone else’s - roll+Int. On a 10+, the evidence you planted is foolproof - everyone will believe you or the person you’re helping have died, and no one will go looking. On a 7-9, the staged death is sloppy and unconvincing, and won’t stand up to rigorous inspection - although it looks convincing at first.

The Professional
Replaces: Ill Repute
When you put out word that you’re looking to take on a contract and get offered a job, name your price. If they can afford it, they’ll pay.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 7, 2013

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Translocation
When you visualise your destination and step back into a space coextant with reality, roll+Int. On a 10+, you instantly reappear anywhere up to Near distance. On a 7-9, choose one:

I know you changed it already and what I'm about to say no longer applies here, but I gotta say that it really rubs me the wrong way when DW moves have such obscure and convoluted triggers like this one — ones that make the player think "okay, well, how do I even begin to do that in the fiction".

There are even a few in the base playbooks — for instance, the trigger for the Bard's Arcane Art, "When you weave a performance into a basic spell", which I think would have been a lot better as "When you perform a song or dance of praise or encouragement" or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Prowave Tierdash posted:

Anyway, I told the players I would need some time to think about this, so we decided to put the dream world adventure off until today's session. I was toying with some ideas on how to give the players a good deal of creative control while in the dream (just like the main characters in inception can alter the dream), and I suddenly got the idea of changing Discern Realities into Define Realities. So here's my rough sketch for the custom move and I'd like input:

pre:
Define Realities
Whenever you attempt to bend the dream to your will, roll+Wis.  
On a 10+, the GM asks you 3 questions from the Discern Realities list.  
On a 7-9, the GM asks you one question from the discern reality list.  
Anything you say suddenly becomes fact within the dream, at least until someone else changes it.  
On a 6-, the malefic entity gets to Define Reality instead.
The way I imagine this is lets say a player attempts to Define Reality in order to escape the enemy invading her mind. He rolls an 8, so I ask him "What here is not what it seems?" and she responds "The floor is made of candy and I eat my way through it!" And suddenly the player is eating his way through a delicious floor to escape his foe.

This seems awesome!