Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sicDaniel
May 10, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Thanks for taking Elsa for a spin Das, the gear she came back with is awesome. :unsmith:

Your pawn has now replaced my other warrior pawn.

You're welcome! The cape is actually from BBI, Elsa survived an attack from an Elder Ogre, drat these hp sponges. My lvl. 60 MK took 10% off his first hp bar in 5 minutes before I gave up...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

So I decided to jump into BBI at level 18. That was fun. Managed to mess around in Dusktower a bit before running into things that just murdered me. Like that giant skeleton. Or the...undead, I believe, dragon. Or the mimic chest SWEET JESUS IT ATE MY PAWN. Several levels higher and rocking better gear now, time to go mess up some bandits.

How long does it take chests to respawn? Wandering around the main world and occasionally doing quests broken up with doing dives into BBI really appeals to my play style. Kind of reminds me of the Baldur's Gate 2 expansion and slowly working through the Helm's Keep tower bit by bit in a new game to get access to sweet loot.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I think I mentioned it before, but High Sopor (Mystic Knight's unique staff skill) permanently sleeplocks Elder Ogres, making them the easiest Necrophage if you're an MK :hist101:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Added my pawn to the PS3 database. She's a pretty solid lvl 33 tank, but I worry that she has bad equipment because I don't really know where the good stuff is yet. Her name is Atalanta (I think I gave her the name Atila from the alternate name database).

Buttermonster
Jul 11, 2003

TaintedBalance posted:

So I decided to jump into BBI at level 18. That was fun. Managed to mess around in Dusktower a bit before running into things that just murdered me. Like that giant skeleton. Or the...undead, I believe, dragon. Or the mimic chest SWEET JESUS IT ATE MY PAWN. Several levels higher and rocking better gear now, time to go mess up some bandits.

How long does it take chests to respawn? Wandering around the main world and occasionally doing quests broken up with doing dives into BBI really appeals to my play style. Kind of reminds me of the Baldur's Gate 2 expansion and slowly working through the Helm's Keep tower bit by bit in a new game to get access to sweet loot.

Doing BBI at low levels was a ton of fun. I started at level 20, then resumed to the story at around 60. Throwblasts are amazing in that level range since it will 1-2 shot a lot of the minions in the starting blocks. I don't remember if they are available in vendors at that point, but if they are it is worth stocking up on them.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Is there a way to change your Main Pawn completely? Like, down to name and gender? I had like four ideas for goofy gimmicks over the last few days, and I have a habit of sperging out over character customization in games.

If not, I may be tempted to start over. I'm up to Gran Soren and am doing the quests for the Wyrm Hunt but have not met the Duke or stumbled into anything else that seems like a major plot thing. How bad would starting over be at this point?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Chas McGill posted:

Added my pawn to the PS3 database. She's a pretty solid lvl 33 tank, but I worry that she has bad equipment because I don't really know where the good stuff is yet. Her name is Atalanta (I think I gave her the name Atila from the alternate name database).

Its not really worth spending any money on anything until you're about to fight the dragon and have unlocked everything at the shops. Most of what can be found in the world can be bought in shops before the dragon and drop rates are pretty poo poo so its worth buying and upgrading at that point. This is all mainly for weapons but works the same for everything

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

Crowetron posted:

Is there a way to change your Main Pawn completely? Like, down to name and gender? I had like four ideas for goofy gimmicks over the last few days, and I have a habit of sperging out over character customization in games.

If not, I may be tempted to start over. I'm up to Gran Soren and am doing the quests for the Wyrm Hunt but have not met the Duke or stumbled into anything else that seems like a major plot thing. How bad would starting over be at this point?

In the Encampment next to Cassardis is a guy who will sell you things for rift crystals, and he sells an item called "Art of Metamorphosis" that is a one time use to totally remake your Arisen and main pawn from scratch without restarting. You can buy a permanent version of that, but you have to be in the post-game first.

As far in as you are you could restart if you really wanted without losing too much, if one use isn't going to cut it for you.

Edit: He also sells potions that change your pawns inclinations and sweet spectacles to replace all those dumb not proper wizard hats the game will throw at you until you can get a real one.

Tyskil fucked around with this message at 12:16 on May 7, 2013

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Crowetron posted:

The guy at the Riftstone in Encampment sells an item (Art of Metamorphosis, I believe) for 5000 RC, which allows you to edit both the pawn and yourself once. Other than that, post-game has an item that allows you for an infinite edits - Secret of Metamorphosis, which is also sold in the same shop, I think.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Is it possible to completely change my Arisen? I put no effort into him or my pawn and he's really ugly. Pouts at absolutely everything

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Thanks! I totally forgot the Encampment exists. I'm glad I don't need to start over because then I'd lose this pimpin harpy cloak I found in a Goblin fort.

I also found a Port crystal in there. Are those one use only or can I pick it up and move it if I find a better place later?

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...
My stamina runs out insanely fast. I'm level 35 but using bitter back level 2 gear that I purified. Is that why?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Crowetron posted:

Thanks! I totally forgot the Encampment exists. I'm glad I don't need to start over because then I'd lose this pimpin harpy cloak I found in a Goblin fort.

I also found a Port crystal in there. Are those one use only or can I pick it up and move it if I find a better place later?

I think they create a permanent Ferrystone destination, otherwise there wouldn't be so many of them, but you can always save the game and experiment :v:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Crowetron posted:

I found 4 in total by the end of my run in the game and there are maybe more. You can also pick up and move them later.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Scott Bakula posted:

Its not really worth spending any money on anything until you're about to fight the dragon and have unlocked everything at the shops. Most of what can be found in the world can be bought in shops before the dragon and drop rates are pretty poo poo so its worth buying and upgrading at that point. This is all mainly for weapons but works the same for everything
That's how it seems, although I did end up buying the Scalding Razors for my assassin since I was finding gently caress all on my adventures. They made a massive difference.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Million Ghosts posted:

Shouts out to Rascyc for giving my pawn a rent, I can only assume she got horribly splattered due to the all 3 star rating :v:
Yeah, fighting Death while not a ranger/magic archer will do that. I hardly ever get to rate pawns proper like. =/

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I've got a question: Is there an all-gold armor set in the game? It doesn't need to be very good, I want one so my Arisen and pawn can match, silver and gold. :v:

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

S-Alpha posted:

I've got a question: Is there an all-gold armor set in the game? It doesn't need to be very good, I want one so my Arisen and pawn can match, silver and gold. :v:

Scale armor is goldish.

e: And the Golden Lion Set from Everfall.

Gildiss fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 7, 2013

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
Oh god Death :suicide: I'm after the first major boss fight in Bitterblack and there is this bridge filled with undead that spawns Death every time. Also every time my pawns stay there when I run the hell away and they get killed. I do barely any damage to the terrible creature so I don't know if I can get him to despawn (he chased me pretty far after killing my pawns too) or what. How do I deal?

I killed an Elder Ogre, though! Took like 30 minutes of hammering it with Arc of Deliverance since it decided to stop fighting and curl up into a ball after the first couple. And then I was killed by a minotaur. I can't wiggle my left stick fast enough to get out of its one-shot move :geno:

Additionally:
I like that the broken riftstone repair cost ramps way up. 3500, 5000, 15000 what
My Gran Soren innkeeper is still missing. I don't know if he somehow died and I should rest for a week but this really blows!! I can change my vocations at Bitterblack I guess but all I want is a friendly dude in Gran Soren so I can farm discipline on guards. Could it possibly be bugged?

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

One of the rest camp dudes should be hanging out near the north gate, you can rest through him. It's even cheaper!

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
The Eliminator one-shot move can't be wiggled out of as far as I can tell. You need a pawn to actually hit the thing. Even the best-inclined pawns I found don't always do this 100% of the time for some reason. Sort of like when a dragon grabs you or someone else; sometimes the pawn is like, right there and bashes its hand to free you/whoever, other times they run around screaming 'I'll scale it and strike from above!' and then start to climb the thing and stab it in it's back where there's no heart.

I'm really not sure what triggers them hitting the Eliminator. I can say it's not spamming ''HELP.'' Like the drakes, sometimes they are right there and the bash the thing in the head, other times, nope, they go after some other enemy in the room as you wait for it's smash to hit.

I also found it's best to stop hitting the ogres when they curl up and let them uncurl. IME, they come out of their little shield-shell cower pose quicker that way.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I never wiggle out of anything in BBI in fear of breaking a stick.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

Azaael posted:

The Eliminator one-shot move can't be wiggled out of as far as I can tell.

:( i've been SO CLOSE to the complete bar, this is horrible

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Actually, since I switched to easy mode, that attack from the eliminators isn't a one-shot any more. The Arisen just takes a hell of a whack but gets back up afterwards. It's quite funny.

Muntu
Apr 29, 2013
Been playing Dark Arisen the whole day, I really missed this game. It's got this certain charm to it that no other game has. This time around, I'll actually finish the main quest too :v:

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I was able to borrow DD, before I get DA, to get the bonus stuff. How far into DD should I play to activate them?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Seedge posted:

I was able to borrow DD, before I get DA, to get the bonus stuff. How far into DD should I play to activate them?
Huh, good question. I had heard that any DD save will do it, so maybe you just need to go as far as when you make your character?

Muntu
Apr 29, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

Huh, good question. I had heard that any DD save will do it, so maybe you just need to go as far as when you make your character?

That's what I did. Started a completely new game in DA and got all the bonuses.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

I can confirm that jus going far enough to create a character is far enough. And once DA detects the vanilla save, you can start a new game and still get the bonuses, in case you wanted to check out the new haircuts without having to go to the barber.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
On a side note, I'm surprised nobody has tried to make Hermione Granger as a pawn yet in Dark Arisen. Hairstyle #58 is so totally her hairstyle.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005

ARACHNOTRON posted:

I killed an Elder Ogre, though! Took like 30 minutes of hammering it with Arc of Deliverance since it decided to stop fighting and curl up into a ball after the first couple. And then I was killed by a minotaur. I can't wiggle my left stick fast enough to get out of its one-shot move :geno:

Elder Ogre are fun and easy to kill as a magic archer. Ricochet stun lock and have your pawns take care of the rest.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
I have urges to start about five other games just for theme characters. I've wanted to do Bruce Dickinson/Ozzy Osbourne, Kramer and George Costanza, Liz Lemon and Jack Donaghy, and many others.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
So that chained up cyclops in BB, are you not supposed to kill him? I got up to level 74 and tried him again and as soon as the chains break he just non-stop stomps continuously and pawns just run around his feet getting killed over and over despite what ever orders I give them.

Also, Pumpkinreaper, Jivers got eaten by a mimic :v: I found he doesn't seem to be very good in BB :(

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
You can kill that dude, but if you don't have ranged or magic attacks, you're probably going to have a rough time. If it helps, the back of his neck has a strap that can be detached to make his helmet fall off, exposing his face/eye as the primary weakspot.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Here is a picture of my character (red head with glasses), my pawn (lady in the mask on the right) and Blaise (Sylphosaurus' pawn) in the background. There is a fourth pawn of my friends, but she is behind the leader.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Rirse posted:

Here is a picture of my character (red head with glasses), my pawn (lady in the mask on the right) and Blaise (Sylphosaurus' pawn) in the background. There is a fourth pawn of my friends, but she is behind the leader.
Thanks for hiring her! I just hope that she performed adequatly, since I'm still experimenting with her inclinations.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Just put my pawn onto the goon list since I had her finish her levels as a Warrior and Fighter, having now put her into a strider. She is only a rank one Strider so she only has a few skills, but with ~400 strength as a Strider at level 30 and a ton of health and defense from the time as a Warrior and Fighter she should stay pretty useful. I'm wondering if I should have her put any time into Ranger later on, though. It's a useful class as an Arisen if you use special arrows, but I haven't seen any Ranger pawns use them.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, it turns out you can get out of an Eliminator's grasp before he whacks you. Found that out about twenty minutes after that post. Suck it, Goatman!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

zarron posted:

Elder Ogre are fun and easy to kill as a magic archer. Ricochet stun lock and have your pawns take care of the rest.
Until they get down to one or two life bars and decide to stop loving around and just oneshot you. All of my encounters with one so far have ended that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Danith posted:

So that chained up cyclops in BB, are you not supposed to kill him? I got up to level 74 and tried him again and as soon as the chains break he just non-stop stomps continuously and pawns just run around his feet getting killed over and over despite what ever orders I give them.

Also, Pumpkinreaper, Jivers got eaten by a mimic :v: I found he doesn't seem to be very good in BB :(

You can kill him, but he has a huge amount of health and does a ton of damage so it won't be easy/quick. You can stand on the stairs and he won't be able to attack you, but good luck attacking his eye from there. Quickest way to kill him without using Blast Arrow spam/Maker's Finger is probably a Sorceror spamming High Maelstrom, or possibly High Levin. Ricochet Shot from Magic Archer would probably work too.

• Locked thread