Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Sidpret posted:

Pretty sure you have the laser cannon, not the machine gun. The machine gun can fire something like 14-16 rounds and is pretty fast. The laser cannon has a max of 3 rounds and they are big discharges (I don't recall a shell casing ejecting)

Is Leviathans on iOS cross platform with Leviathan on Windows/Mac? Cause I don't have a tablet but I will play some multi with goons. I'm on the Leviathan 1 server and my name is Sidpret, add me. I'm really bad.

If you look closely a light shell case ejects when the laser cannon ejects.

Also yes Leviathan is cross platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

allsizesfitone
May 7, 2007
People never notice anything.

Weissritter posted:

So I would like to recommend chinese/chinese-knowing goons game that is based on the Romance of the Three Kingdom setting - Dominate the World (my own translation, as I cannot get the chinese words out without it being gibberish in the reply preview) https://itunes.apple.com/sg/app/xiong-ba-tian-de/id511840670?mt=8

Okay, that was a lot of :words:, so in-summary: non-essential IAP and suprising depth to combat and city building makes this really fun.

This game looks amazing. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for a translation, though.

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

DocMcgillicuddy posted:

Ace Patrol is out already it seems, thought it wasn't till thursday but, I'm playing it right now and it's real fun. :)

Can you post the link? Itunes search is just tossing up an ace combat soundtrack.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

LIMBO KING posted:

Can you post the link? Itunes search is just tossing up an ace combat soundtrack.

It's only out in Canada where it soft launched a few weeks back.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Space Agency is the best game about launching things into space that you will ever play on your iPad. Seriously, guys, download it now. I ended up playing 4 hours of it last night without noticing, it was incredible.

I'm sad I can't throw money at it to unlock everything though. I want to play with Free Play more, but some of the missions are really tricky (especially with a time limit).

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

NESguerilla posted:

Any opinions on NY Zombies 2?
Didn't see anyone answer you on this a couple pages ago.

I got NY Zombies 2 while it was free about a month or so ago and I was pretty taken with it for about a week. Although it has IAP currency options it's certainly not necessary to progress. The game has a fairly shallow learning curve but eventually gets pretty difficult about 8 levels in (the hospital level) which is where I stopped. I don't think I would say I hit a paywall but the strategy became deeper than run-and-gun which is what I found fun about the game. It seemed more like I'd have to grind to level up land mines to help stem the tide of enemies in the "survive 2 minutes" part of the mission.

That being said the "grind" to get more currency (premium and non-premium) isn't that bad and the missions were basically simple and fun. I found the controls responsive enough and the weapons have a reload "cooldown" (10-40 seconds, depending) which means that there's good reason to make use of all of your 4 weapon slots. If it's free I'd say there's no reason not to try it. If it's a buck, I'd say if you want an FPS on iOS that has RPG-like "progression" via weapon unlocks and traits tailored to your playstyle (melee/ranged/being tough), it stands a good chance of giving you at least a few hours of fun if not more.

For advice, get the revolver ASAP and level it up as it'll be quite a workhorse for a good part of the game. It reloads relatively quickly while packing a good punch and will at worst be a great sidearm that you use while your more powerful weapons are reloading. I went with marksmanship path and found it fun but the other two progressions seem pretty legit as well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SquadronROE posted:

I'm sad I can't throw money at it to unlock everything though. I want to play with Free Play more, but some of the missions are really tricky (especially with a time limit).

Go buy a copy of kerbal space program then, you get everything from the start.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

xzzy posted:

Go buy a copy of kerbal space program then, you get everything from the start.

I have a copy of that, but Space Agency is much more user friendly and easy to play. I don't need to do crazy maths to get a rocket from the Earth to the Moon. I also cannot play Kerbals from the iPad.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Space Agency is the best, I think I'll throw the $5 at the dev even though I'm sure I could unlock all the parts through missions. Actually the only reason I haven't done it yet is because I'm afraid I'll burn out on it too quickly if I have access to everything, it's fun to have a limited toolset and just play around with the little stuff for now.

It's like 2D KSP on my phone. Get it if you're into space nerd stuff at all.

edit: beaten on the KSP reference as I got a phonecall while writing this reply :)

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Weissritter posted:

So I would like to recommend chinese/chinese-knowing goons game that is based on the Romance of the Three Kingdom setting - Dominate the World (my own translation, as I cannot get the chinese words out without it being gibberish in the reply preview) https://itunes.apple.com/sg/app/xiong-ba-tian-de/id511840670?mt=8

Why are there always so many anime girls in my 三国!!!!!!!??!!!???!!!???!!!!!

It is a good game though. When I'm not playing digital versions of card games, it's how I get my Three Kingdoms fix.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
In Space Agency I don't understand re-entry, I point the heat shield down and still blow up almost immediately.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

What's the best Sodoku app out there? I randomly got the urge again and the one I downloaded, sodoku2, is just way too easy. Even the hardest ones in it don't take me more then 10 minutes.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Mozi posted:

In Space Agency I don't understand re-entry, I point the heat shield down and still blow up almost immediately.

It's a bit difficult, really. You point the blunt bit down, and if it starts tilting adjust until it stops being red. Gotta stay on top of it, though.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Magna Kaser posted:

Why are there always so many anime girls in my 三国!!!!!!!??!!!???!!!???!!!!!

It is a good game though. When I'm not playing digital versions of card games, it's how I get my Three Kingdoms fix.

There are so few female heroes, but almost all that I have seen are great for their star rating.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Space Agency is the best, I think I'll throw the $5 at the dev even though I'm sure I could unlock all the parts through missions. Actually the only reason I haven't done it yet is because I'm afraid I'll burn out on it too quickly if I have access to everything, it's fun to have a limited toolset and just play around with the little stuff for now.

It's like 2D KSP on my phone. Get it if you're into space nerd stuff at all.

edit: beaten on the KSP reference as I got a phonecall while writing this reply :)

Wait, where are you seeing you can unlock all the parts?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Ugh this Space Agency game makes me want to make a shameless Bitizen Space Program game.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

eeenmachine posted:

Ugh this Space Agency game makes me want to make a shameless Bitizen Space Program game.

:stare: DO. IT.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

eeenmachine posted:

If the only reason to watch rockets launch is to tap on coins as they scroll past, I will be SO ANGRY.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

eeenmachine posted:

Back to work on Little Locomotives, you. Also, do it and I will push money at you.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Clearly the answer is to just make a Galaxy Express 999 game and have both trains AND space.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

eeenmachine posted:

I would only play this if I could launch Space Trains, Planes and Towers into orbit alongside actual spaceships :colbert:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Shalinor posted:

I would only play this if I could launch Space Trains, Planes and Towers into orbit alongside actual spaceships :colbert:

I would un-ironically love a space trains game. Setting up trade route and passenger routes between plants. An influx economy randomly making certain route worth more/less. Sometimes a giant space crab comes along and destorys a train. Having pirates trying to steal your ice. Etc etc.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 7, 2013

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

mrwrong posted:

Can anyone recommend some multiplayer wifi network games? I have a group of about 5 - 10 high school students, all with iPads, and I'd like to find some games for them to play with/against each other that aren't word games like scrabble or draw something. They will all be in the same room. I figure I'll give Spaceteam a shot but wanted some others for backup.

Thanks!

How about Ticket to Ride? Other board games (of which there are like a zillion)? Those are pretty much made for exactly this scenario. I don't know if you can convince them TTR is cool, but if they don't believe you they're wrong. :v:

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

SquadronROE posted:

Wait, where are you seeing you can unlock all the parts?
Once you're past the training, go into any of the mission and hit the "..." at the bottom. That brings up the IAP store.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Had an urge to go back and play Space Miner for some reason. Man that's still one of my favorite iphone games. Seem to never get tired of it.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Is there a TTR thread? After playing against the AI for a while (though that's still pretty fun), I think it'd be pretty fun to start playing against goons instead of the crapshoot that is Game Center auto-assign. (I only have TTR Europe)

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

Mozi posted:

I can't even get into orbit.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I just want to say thanks to whoever recommended Space Agency. This game is ridiculously fun.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Is there a TTR thread? After playing against the AI for a while (though that's still pretty fun), I think it'd be pretty fun to start playing against goons instead of the crapshoot that is Game Center auto-assign. (I only have TTR Europe)
Join us in the iOS board game thread, brother.

Reciprocator
Jun 26, 2002

You're not taking drugs are you? I only ask because there is a zero-tolerance policy on the island, and I wouldn't want you to have to punch yourself in the face.

KarmaticStylee posted:

http://www.healergame.com/

Really cool ipad game basically putting you into the role of a healer of a MMO raid.. Though this game is single player. If you've ever enjoyed playing healer definitely worth checking it out, Im having a lot of fun with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOVKg9pypOs gameplay footage

I don't play world of Warcraft anymore, but this game simulates healing with grid perfectly. It's a lot of fun, is very polished, and the difficulty scales nicely. I'm surprised there isn't any mention of it on TouchArcade yet.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

theblackw0lf posted:

Had an urge to go back and play Space Miner for some reason. Man that's still one of my favorite iphone games. Seem to never get tired of it.

Good call, I haven't played that in years but I loved it. I should go back too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Seems like it would be an obvious candidate for a sequel, why was there no Space Miner 2?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

zoux posted:

Seems like it would be an obvious candidate for a sequel, why was there no Space Miner 2?

I remember reading some developer blog about how it wasn't profitable, and neither was the multiplayer spinoff they released later.

http://blog.venan.com/2011/06/up-next-new-direction.html

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kaboobi posted:

I remember reading some developer blog about how it wasn't profitable, and neither was the multiplayer spinoff they released later.

Yeah but iOS games aren't ever profitable :confused:

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I have been playing Motor World recently, and thought I wasn't going to be able to finish stage 3 of the current event since the Catman cars take so long to build. I found a way to boost the production of the cars for only a few of the premium currency dollars. If you have a bunch of the buff items laying around, buff your best worker with mushrooms or anything that increases the WP/min value. While the worker will burn through his stamina quickly, while he is working, the completion time will be small. Since the speed up cost is associated with time left, not total WP needed, this let me get about 8k WP for on 2 of the currency, instead of the 14-20 it was normally asking for. Don't forget to stack multiple buffs for extra discounts.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Davincie posted:

What's the best Sodoku app out there? I randomly got the urge again and the one I downloaded, sodoku2, is just way too easy. Even the hardest ones in it don't take me more then 10 minutes.

The Heist has a set of puzzles that are like sudoku, but with irregular grids and symbols instead of numbers. I enjoyed them much more than I do normal sudoku, and pretty much ignored the other kinds of puzzles as much as possible. It's also got neat little touches like fake "phone calls" from your handler and I think you still get a free steam game when you beat it. Jigsaw Sudoku does something similar but still has numbers rather than symbols. I don't know about difficulty though. SUDOKU* by moonrabbit has the best user interface I've come across and a broad range of difficulty levels.

*That's a link to the "pro" version. There is a free version, which doesn't have any discernible differences, but the url is weird and won't work. Just check the "other apps by developer" or be nice and give moonrabbit a dollar.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I was totally sold on Space Agency until tutorial mission 6. Orbital manoeuvring doesn't work like that :mad:

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

Enjoy Sudoku has been my go-to as long as I had an iPhone, free version 1 puzzle/day per difficulty but there's a $2.99 paid version. It has the most comfortable penciling interface I've used on a mobile device and has tons of features.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

TACD posted:

I was totally sold on Space Agency until tutorial mission 6. Orbital manoeuvring doesn't work like that :mad:

Which was that? Breaking orbit or landing your living capsule? (gently caress landing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
SpaceAgency kicks rear end. I'm stuck on Mission 15 where you lift two pieces of Voyager into orbit, assemble them in orbit, then do a flyby of the Moon and 3 other planets to take pictures. Gold medal is doing it within 14 minutes, which seems doable but I keep running out of thruster fuel towards the end of the run.

Maddening. And great fun! On my last run I miscalculated the slingshot around the moon and slammed Voyager directly into the face of the moon. The bottom part of Voyager snapped off and went hurtling through space at maximum velocity due to the gravitational slingshot. I LOL'ed.

Edit: I just remembered another hilarious SpaceAgency story.

One of the earlier missions has you fly out to a Space Station set up secretly by a covert government. Essentially your mission is to lift off, pass around the Earth, leave orbit in a trajectory to take position near the Space Station, take some pictures, and then you win.

But I was having trouble getting a good trajectory to the Space Station. I had to make multiple passes around Earth before I could line up the trajectory correctly, and knowing I had wasted some time I did an extra long acceleration burn on the way to the Station to make up for the lost time (so I could still Gold Medal the mission).

Mid-way through the flight to the Station, I turned my ship around 180 degrees in order to do a counter-burn to decelerate and stop near the Station, but I had used too much fuel to stop completely. I was about 20km from the station going way too fast when I realized I should use my thrusters to slow down, but instead of hitting thrusters I accidentally hit the jettison button and jettisoned the heavy tow module towing my craft right into the station. It collided with and subsequently blew the station to smithereens.

By now the survey craft had finally come to a stop. So I figured I would finish carrying out my mission and orient my craft and take pictures as if I HADN'T just destroyed a rival government's space station. I took a few pictures and a Gold Medal pops up for "completing" the mission. I laughed as I imagined those pictures getting developed back on Earth...

bobfather fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 7, 2013

• Locked thread