Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Bravo. That may be my favorite obit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
:siren: Playoff Pick Em Scores :siren:

We're roughly at the halfway point of the pick em now, with 5 (planned) Gauntlet rounds remaining and 4 (5 if we have a Macho Men challenge) playoff series remaining. No big moves after today's gauntlet round as a good number of you rode the Pandas and Barons this round. mks5000 did leap frog mentholmoose for 2nd place.

pre:
Owner	               Score
Zodiac5000	        31
mks5000	                23
mentholmoose	        21
kw0134	                17
Robert_Deadford	        17
Monicro	                15
Beet	                13
GVOLTT	                13
CaptainYesterday	12
Chilly McFreeze	        10
oldskool	        10
Revenant Threshold	 9
FairGame	         8
alpha_destroy	         6
TheFlyingLlama	         6
factorialite	         4
tatankatonk	         4

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

That's one way to demonstrate your ire at the EC proceedings, Smasher.

Pick 'em: Until the End of Time!
Pick ONE! and then pick ANOTHER ONE!

Barons
Oneida Mighty Spooners

Sorry Pandas, I think your time's up.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Barons
Sad Pandas

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

CaptainYesterday posted:

Barons
Sad Pandas

Hey you interested in trading now?

Archie Goodwin
Jan 2, 2012
Using intelligence guided by experience since 1934.
First, that was amazing. Thank you for all your work.

Living and Dying At the Top of the World

Epilogue

They say your life flashes before your eyes when you're dying. Of course, I'd spent the last twenty years trying to drown the things I'd seen in an ocean of bourbon, but sure enough, images came bobbing up from that choppy amber sea, like pieces of a shipwreck that haven't quite gotten around to sinking.

Daulton. That screwball Lee. Inscrutable Oh. Bruising Bruzer, on and off the field. What happened in Marrakesh. Downing with no place to put his hat.

And then a parcel, a brown ice cube in a Tennessea of whiskey. I'd sent it to the Commissar soon after the Gauntlet loss. Bundled with all the evidence I'd had that the fix was in, that something didn't smell right about that way it had gone down. Back then, I'd thought it was the missing owners - Pope pulling the strings. Maybe another Dusseldorf alias.

But now it was too late. The Gumshoes were dead; the heart ripped out of 'em. I was so tired.

As the curtain fell on the story of my life, something occurred to me. If it came out about Monathin, if that bunch of thugs, cake-eaters, and Jimmers Thome were going to make it, if they'd survive, the Gumshoes could still stop them at the last moment. Dead here, but Dynamo loved his funny-paper other worlds. Maybe somewhere there was a team that was whole and luckier than I'd been. Another bunch of Gumshoes that could close the case.

After all, there's a lot of twists in the road that runs down Russian Hill, and we always specialized in winning on a dead draw.

Funny thing about dying in the cold - at the end, you start to feel warm.

At peace.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Hey you interested in trading now?

What did you have in mind?

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Pick 'em: Until the End of Time!
Pick ONE! and then pick ANOTHER ONE!
Barons
Canton Catastrophes
Oneida Mighty Spooners
Sad Pandas

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

I asked in IRC how I should price some of these deals and he said a back end of the bench bat at best, so happy to talk from here, but yeah this is stuff I'm not using for stuff you're not using! Basically I want to buy some lottery tickets. Without further ado:

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Teams

You probably need some outfield action, but I am short on right fielders - Carlos Beltran 2008 (who I use!) for four guys you are not using - Tommy Hanson, Barry Zito, Randy Myers and Steve Finley

CaptainYesterday posted:

What did you have in mind?

Brad Lidge and George Winter from your feeders for not much - have a look at my spare parts and tell me what you think might be worth it. As an opening position let's say Mark Bellhorn (2003) who is literally an SL legend and has poo poo named after him. Also might be a useful defensive sub given your SS/3B situation. Alternatively I can offer a 1995 Steve Avery who is rotting in my minors. Disclaimer: Brad Lidge has done awfully in the SL before.

GVOLTT posted:

2006 Minnesota Twins, 2001 Kansas City Royals, 1986 Milwaukee Brewers, 1969 Los Angeles Dodgers, and since I've never owned a team before and have one more point, the 1963 Houston Astros.

On the topic of power relief pitchers with bad control. , what do you want for Pat Neshek, Danny Darwin and Bill Singer? Let me put trade offer of Boog Powell 1972 on the table who can backup in the outfield and at 1B and pinch hit and poo poo. I never use him because I think Billy Williams and Stan Musial are both better choices for the left handed part of my LF platoon.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 7, 2013

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Senerio cockblocks trades! (Yaaaaay!)

Carlos Beltran is getting up in years. Still a good replacement, but not "four guys" worth of replacement. Also, his best years are behind him.

Mark Bellhorn was only really a good luck charm for the Mercs I at his best (and he did a great job of that; read the Mercs Blood Sox series to see him in action). I used him on the Saints, and even that was ultimately to their detriment.

Like Beltran, Powell's best years are behind him. Basically take that argument against Beltran, and sub in the details of this trade.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Senerio posted:

Senerio cockblocks trades! (Yaaaaay!)

Carlos Beltran is getting up in years. Still a good replacement, but not "four guys" worth of replacement. Also, his best years are behind him.

Ha! Look, let's pick apart this deal:

It probably seems strange to think it, but Beltran is in the top 1% of all players ever. He ranks 130th on the all time WAR list. He is a fringey hall of famer, but it's hard to draw up a list and keep him out. He's one of the best Centrefielders of all time. So Llama is getting something useful out of the deal, let's look at the pieces coming back: Tommy Hanson has a career ERA+ of 109, Randy Myers is 35, Chuck Finley is CF/RF guy like Beltran except that he has as many WAR as Beltran has WAA, and Zito doesn't crack the top 200 pitchers of all time.

The obvious question then is, why am I doing this? I'm buying Zito, two lottery tickets and a crap CF for an OK CF/RF. Is that a fair deal? TheFlyingLlama needs a RF guy, for me I can probably slot Myers straight into my Bullpen because my bullpen is loving awful rather than Myers is great, and Zito will be useful as my 7th starter for when Curt Schilling blows up again or as trade bait down the stretch run. Tommy Hanson might get a good roll and be usable to plug a hole down the stretch for someone. I think we can both win this trade.

quote:

Like Beltran, Powell's best years are behind him. Basically take that argument against Beltran, and sub in the details of this trade.

He's two years off an MVP award man, and he's only 30. That's pretty much 'in his prime.' Okay his best year is literally behind him, but you're not getting something totally awful for it.

quote:

Mark Bellhorn was only really a good luck charm for the Mercs I at his best (and he did a great job of that; read the Mercs Blood Sox series to see him in action). I used him on the Saints, and even that was ultimately to their detriment.

Yeah, sure, he's not that useful - but George winter a ERA+ 101 pitcher who's ceiling is LR/5th starter and Smasher commissioned a special memorial to remember how awful Brad Lidge was in his one prior SL outing of significance. Sure, Mark Bellhorn isn't going to do anything other than be a utility infielder, but if you don't give up anything you don't get anything.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 7, 2013

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Senerio posted:

Don't trade Dispersal Draft Picks.

Also don't trade but that's much less general (read: loving universal) advice!

Everyone is saying don't trade picks. So I probably won't unless someone wants to offer me 2 seriously legit starting pitchers and a 3b solution. And that's probably overpaying even for a Babe Ruth or a Ser Barrold, First of His Name.

What am I missing, though? Yes, those 2 players are loving amazing and exist on a higher tier than literally anyone else. But with the rest of my roster being basically complete poo poo, wouldn't it make more sense to fix several weak spots rather than have 1 really amazing player?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

That obit was the best thing.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

FairGame posted:

Everyone is saying don't trade picks. So I probably won't unless someone wants to offer me 2 seriously legit starting pitchers and a 3b solution. And that's probably overpaying even for a Babe Ruth or a Ser Barrold, First of His Name.

What am I missing, though? Yes, those 2 players are loving amazing and exist on a higher tier than literally anyone else. But with the rest of my roster being basically complete poo poo, wouldn't it make more sense to fix several weak spots rather than have 1 really amazing player?

The reason for the caution is lots of people sell their picks without really considering the quality of what's left on the board, and thus do what monathin did last season where he sold two great players for two good players. I personally think you are right, and you should probably sell your pick to an established team that has enough spare parts to do you a deal for 3 quality starting players. The last guy who sold the number 1 overall did very well out of it, but there have been lots of bad trades in this space. Caution is advised.

If I was you, I'd start to auction your pick now so you have plenty of time to solicit offers and ensure you are getting a reasonable deal. Also, log into IRC and run any trade by Smasher. Ruth is the 'obvious' first pick so people can buy your pick with confidence.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

The reason for the caution is lots of people sell their picks without really considering the quality of what's left on the board, and thus do what monathin did last season where he sold two great players for two good players. I personally think you are right, and you should probably sell your pick to an established team that has enough spare parts to do you a deal for 3 quality starting players. The last guy who sold the number 1 overall did very well out of it, but there have been lots of bad trades in this space. Caution is advised.

If I was you, I'd start to auction your pick now so you have plenty of time to solicit offers and ensure you are getting a reasonable deal. Also, log into IRC and run any trade by Smasher. Ruth is the 'obvious' first pick so people can buy your pick with confidence.

If you can get from Cthulhu the following:

-Young Stan Musial
-Christy Mathewson
-One of his starting infielders
-A bit more consideration

Then trade with him and do so with my blessing.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Smasher Dynamo posted:

If you can get from Cthulhu the following:

-Young Stan Musial
-Christy Mathewson
-One of his starting infielders
-A bit more consideration

Then trade with him and do so with my blessing.

We both know I cannot make a meaningful bid, because I don't have the spare parts. If I did that deal, I have to start Billy Williams and Beltran in RF, Frank Tanana, Biggio or Al Rosen and sell Riggs or something. The damage would be irrepairable. Plus, I only really need young Rickey Henderson or something who should be much more affordable.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Understood. I actually have the #2 pick so presumably it's Barry Bonds that I'm trading.

And yeah: what Smasher outlined below is what I had in mind (though I'd actually prefer a starting pitching-heavy deal rather than 1 SP + other awesome poo poo)

Worst case scenario I don't see any deals I like and I end up with Barry Bonds, which would be pretty cool too!

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Smasher!

First off, excellent job on the Gumshoes obit, jesus goddamn christ.

Second off, I got the Potatoes obit (and the ECVIII Championship Series writeup) taken care of, I'll post 'em tomorrow-ish if that's alright with you?

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

FairGame posted:

Everyone is saying don't trade picks. So I probably won't unless someone wants to offer me 2 seriously legit starting pitchers and a 3b solution. And that's probably overpaying even for a Babe Ruth

This is incorrect. In league play, Ruth will win you a few games. In the gauntlet, where small sample sizes abound, a consistently good player is worth their weight in gold! I say this as a gauntlet round one survivor mainly thanks to a prime Ruth!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Yeah, these Ruths and Barrolds certainly helped stave off relegation for these teams, and kept them out of the draft pool!

Oh, wait.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

The Merry Marauder posted:

Yeah, these Ruths and Barrolds certainly helped stave off relegation for these teams, and kept them out of the draft pool!

Oh, wait.

I stand by my statement, Ruth and Borrold will definitely help more in the gauntlet than 2 better-than-average pitchers and an infield option.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Cthulhu Dreams, looking at your roster, I'm interested in what you want for Musial.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

ForeverBWFC posted:

I stand by my statement, Ruth and Borrold will definitely help more in the gauntlet than 2 better-than-average pitchers and an infield option.

I'm not planning on going to The Gauntlet, though :colbert:

And in a large sample size, you want competent pitching more than you need a circus strongman, however much that circus strongman owns (see: the 1998 St. Louis Cardinals)

Furthermore, I'm not looking for "better than average" pitchers. I thought Chuck Finley and Mark Langston were going to be good since they had strong careers and were rated in the 90s and they got loving shelled. I'll keep my #2 pick if someone doesn't knock me over with an amazing "fix your starting rotation for the cost of 1 Barrold Bonds" offer.

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

On the topic of power relief pitchers with bad control. , what do you want for Pat Neshek, Danny Darwin and Bill Singer? Let me put trade offer of Boog Powell 1972 on the table who can backup in the outfield and at 1B and pinch hit and poo poo. I never use him because I think Billy Williams and Stan Musial are both better choices for the left handed part of my LF platoon.

I don't plan on making any trades until after the EC playoffs and the dispersal draft, and also not until I re-evaluate my feeder selections. In fact, if there's any move I'm making, it'll probably be switching in Bill Singer and switching out Francisco Liriano. As for the other pitchers you mention, I'll consider making them available for trading, but only after what I previously mentioned.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
Juneau Juggernauts

Well, that was a lovely expansion cup. I was really bad, but still ended up .500. That puts me out of the truly overelite players but not good enough to make the playoffs.

C: Ron Hassey and Johnny Kling actually worked ok. Hassey had a .351 OBP which is more than sufficient for my purposes. I might upgrade here but I don't really care.

1B: Heilmann was a poor roll, but he's still a gamble perhaps worth taking. Andre Thorton was a serviceable backup 1B. I could definitely use an upgrade to a power bat, but I'm altering my stadium to be as unfriendly to power hitters as humanly possible.

2B: Decent enough. Evers had a .326 OBP, which is on the cusp of serviceability. Combine that with excellent defense and he's playable for sure. Hopefully I can snag one of the 6 or 7 incredible 2B later in the draft.

SS: I don't know if I trust Lugo long-term, but he was great in the EL. .368 OBP is everything I need and more from SS. Tinker is an OK-ish backup but I'd like to get left-handed.

3B: Toby Harrah was a disappointment, but I don't like either of the top players for this team, as constructed. I'd take Boggs if he came to me, but he has no speed whatsoever. Santo is too old for me. I'm concerned about third. I'm probably putting Zimmerman there.

LF: Sheckard was awful. Baldelli will replace him in SLX, but LF is my primary target in the draft. If I can grab a Henderson I'll be thrilled (and Rickey is precisely the player I want).

CF: Ty Cobb was disappointing, but he should definitely benefit from added lineup protection. I won't be looking to trade him or replace him ever.

RF: Crawford was awful as Sheckard. There isn't a lot I can do either way; I need to really upgrade here.

SP: No idea how this happened. I was expecting pitching to be really bad, but it hung in there (it's going to get blasted in the Super-League though). Brown will replace Shields, who will go into LR. I need a reliever or two.

New Roster
pre:
SS Julio Lugo
CF Ty Cobb
1B Andre Thornton
LF Rocco Baldelli
3B Heinie Zimmerman
C  Ron Hassey
2B Johnny Evers
RF Sam Crawford
-pitcher-

C  Johnny Kling
SS Joe Tinker
LF Jimmy Sheckard
1B Harry Heilmann
3B Toby Harrah

#1 Bert Blyleven
#2 Rick Sutcliffe
#3 Mordecai Brown
#4 Orval Overall
#5 Ed Ruelbach
CL Jack Pfiester
SU Lew Richie
SR King Cole
SR Harry Coveleski
MR James Shields
LR Scott Kazmir
With any luck, It'll look more like
LF Rickey Henderson (1st round draft pick)
CF Ty Cobb
1B Andre Thornton
RF Rocco Baldelli
2B Roberto Alomar (2nd round draft pick)
3B Heinie Zimmerman
SS Julio Lugo
C Ron Hassey

#1-5 Same
CL Billy Wagner (3rd round draft pick)

Speaking of which, I'm willing to trade up/down and that sort of thing. Come at me with offers if you like.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

FairGame posted:

I'm not planning on going to The Gauntlet, though :colbert:

And in a large sample size, you want competent pitching more than you need a circus strongman, however much that circus strongman owns (see: the 1998 St. Louis Cardinals)

Furthermore, I'm not looking for "better than average" pitchers. I thought Chuck Finley and Mark Langston were going to be good since they had strong careers and were rated in the 90s and they got loving shelled. I'll keep my #2 pick if someone doesn't knock me over with an amazing "fix your starting rotation for the cost of 1 Barrold Bonds" offer.
Here are my unsolicited thoughts on your situation:

Your needs:
  • starting pitching
  • 3B
  • 1B -- I'm sorry Paul Goldschmidt probably isn't even worthy of a bench spot and putting Edmonds there is a total waste of an above-average defensive player.
  • 2B -- A .269 OBP in the EC isn't going to magically get better in the SL proper.
  • C -- neither guy really lit the world on fire in the EC and are probably fringe-ish starters in the SL anyway.

Strengths of the draft:
  • 2B
  • mid-rotation starters
  • 1B
  • LF
  • RP

So, to your benefit, your needs line up fairly well. The problem is you only have 3 picks to fix those, and it would be wise to spend 2 of them on SP. My suggestion is that you trade down out of the #2 maybe half a round and gain some additional draft picks to further stock your roster. My suggestion is to find a spot in the first round where you'd still be able to grab either Ryan/Maddux (or, worst case scenario, Boggs). If some veteran team offers you a king's ransom for your pick, sure, go for it, but I think just the additional picks would do you better. You'd be crazy not to take one of the excellent 2B available this go around, especially given your current starter. And literally any of the top 12 or so 1B are better than what you have going at the moment.

You need to find a way to get both Mantle/Edmonds in your every day lineup (or trade one of them to help you somewhere else). What I guess I'd do is probably move the worst of the 2 defensively (that's probably Mantle) to a corner OF spot.

As for your current crop of starting pitchers, 2 of Ford/Finley/Langston is going to have to be good enough to hold down the SP4/SP5 spots on your staff, because there's too many other needs to fill to burn all 3 picks on SP. Pedro is a good ace (just ask the Landers), so you really need to fill the SP2/SP3 slots in the draft (or at least before the season starts). I'd focus on righty starters given your 4 and 5 are going to be lefties. Don't bother using the starters from the current-day DBacks as anything more than spot starters; Mogul just isn't kind to young current-day players in the SL environment.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
Do me next, do me next

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

The Merry Marauder posted:

Oh, wait.

I was curious about that. (commence rambling musing)

Round 1
The Elite's Double-Bonds made a good showing.
Each hit a tick above .310, OBPed .390 and .431, stole a half dozen bags, and knocked in about a half dozen homers.
Gumshoes' Ruth hits just about the exact same, .314 with 7HR and a .401 OBP.
Lovable Losers Bonds did a touch worse, hitting .226/.363 with 10 HR and 4 SB. That's quite an avg difference from the other two Bondses(Bondii?), although plenty of OBP and power.

While I would argue that the best hitter in that round was NONE of these (MDM's Pujols gets that distinction), it's pretty cut and dry that the Elites were saved entirely thanks to their double-Bonds. The Gumshoes were certainly helped by Ruth, but I think they'd have survived without him. Losers' Bonds was still his best hitter, despite a low average, proving that Bonds alone cannot save a bad team (but two can do the trick, at least for a little while)

Round 2
The Elite's Double-Bonds do well, but are arguably less central to the Elite's survival than they were in Round 1. One hit .289/.400 with 13HR, the other hit .246/.352 with 6HR. They stole roughly half as many bags as they did in R1. Playing in a lefty-friendly park like Pandamonium Field undoubtedly helped the rest of the Elite's lineup provide even more gaudy slash lines (although nobody had the same power as Bonds #1). It's hard to say the Bonds' carried the Elites here, as one helped a great deal while the other seemed rather pedestrian.
The Gumshoes' Ruth provided a beastly .340/.456 with 9HR. It's a little bit of a disappointment, power numbers-wise, (a number of non-Panda players bested him), but his rate stats would have saved his team if his #2/#3 hitters could get on base worth a drat. They OBPed worse than the Panda's entire team hit for average.

Round 3
This is where the Double-Bonds absolutely killed the Elites' hopes of surviving the Gauntlet. With his #'s 1, 2, and 4 hitters making a good showing, his #3 and #5 Bonds duo just needed to replicate their showings to keep him going.
Bonds #1 hit .213/.327 with 4HR.
Bonds #2 hit .265/.417 with 3HR.
Playing 7 of their games at Pandamonium Field should have provided at least 4 HR of their own, so such a lack of power (and a lack of general competence beyond batting eye for Bonds #1) torpedoed the Elites.

So totaling the work of the Bonds/Ruths for the first three rounds?
I would say there were only 3 GREAT performances (R1 Bonds that OBPed 431, R2 Bonds that hit 13 HR, R2 Ruth)
There were 3 DECENT performances (R1 Bonds that OBPed 390, R1 Ruth, R3 Bonds that OBPed .417)
There were 2 MEH performances (R1 Bonds that hit .226, R2 Bonds that hit .246)
There was 1 PUTRID performances (R3 Bonds that hit .213)

I'd argue they only saved one team one time, and that was the Elites in Round 1. Otherwise they're just mere mortals in small-sample sizes.

Other things I noted:
Ron Santo seemed to provide power more consistently than the Bonds (about 9 homers every round) for the Elites.
Rickey Henderson and Nap LaJoie seemed to be pretty good at the small sample size game.
Nick Johnson really loving loves my stadium.
Albert Pujols never fails.
Willie Mays often fails.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Pander posted:

Willie Mays often fails.

: You just need to put him in a Pit of Doom!

: Pit of Doom Copyright Queens Mercuries version 1.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

ToiletofSadness posted:

You need to find a way to get both Mantle/Edmonds in your every day lineup (or trade one of them to help you somewhere else). What I guess I'd do is probably move the worst of the 2 defensively (that's probably Mantle) to a corner OF spot.

As for your current crop of starting pitchers, 2 of Ford/Finley/Langston is going to have to be good enough to hold down the SP4/SP5 spots on your staff, because there's too many other needs to fill to burn all 3 picks on SP. Pedro is a good ace (just ask the Landers), so you really need to fill the SP2/SP3 slots in the draft (or at least before the season starts). I'd focus on righty starters given your 4 and 5 are going to be lefties. Don't bother using the starters from the current-day DBacks as anything more than spot starters; Mogul just isn't kind to young current-day players in the SL environment.
I think you mean Cobb?

I agree with your assessments though, adding that SS looks like a weak spot too. Lugo hit well in EC, but probably will suck it up in SL.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Pander posted:

I think you mean Cobb?

I agree with your assessments though, adding that SS looks like a weak spot too. Lugo hit well in EC, but probably will suck it up in SL.
That's not meant to be an assessment of factorialite's team; he's been in the league for enough seasons to have a strong grasp of how to fix a team or break it completely if he so desires; for example, planning on going into the season with Rocco Baldelli as a starting OFer is a good way to break a team. That writeup was meant to be for FairGame's team.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

ToiletofSadness posted:

That's not meant to be an assessment of factorialite's team; he's been in the league for enough seasons to have a strong grasp of how to fix a team or break it completely if he so desires; for example, planning on going into the season with Rocco Baldelli as a starting OFer is a good way to break a team. That writeup was meant to be for FairGame's team.

No wonder I got so confused. I was about to ask where you got Edmonds from too. I think I preview-reply read your post, and followed it backwards to the wrong post.

And yeah, looked at Factorialite's post history and noted he's been around. I maintain that he's gonna have a lot of fun starting Lugo.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

Pander posted:

No wonder I got so confused. I was about to ask where you got Edmonds from too. I think I preview-reply read your post, and followed it backwards to the wrong post.

And yeah, looked at Factorialite's post history and noted he's been around. I maintain that he's gonna have a lot of fun starting Lugo.

I have too many holes to fill, so I'm just hoping lightning strikes twice. LF, RF, SS, 1B...

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

ToiletofSadness posted:

Here are my unsolicited thoughts on your situation:

So, to your benefit, your needs line up fairly well. The problem is you only have 3 picks to fix those, and it would be wise to spend 2 of them on SP. My suggestion is that you trade down out of the #2 maybe half a round and gain some additional draft picks to further stock your roster. My suggestion is to find a spot in the first round where you'd still be able to grab either Ryan/Maddux (or, worst case scenario, Boggs). If some veteran team offers you a king's ransom for your pick, sure, go for it, but I think just the additional picks would do you better. You'd be crazy not to take one of the excellent 2B available this go around, especially given your current starter. And literally any of the top 12 or so 1B are better than what you have going at the moment.

Thanks for this.

Would this be a serviceable SL outfield?

LF: Mantle
CF: Edmonds
RF: Maris/Vlad platoon

Also, Roger Maris is a loving trap player :smith:

I suppose it doesn't matter what I can do with my #2 right now because nobody is trying to trade for it. I'd love tons of picks instead of players too! Really, it's the same logic I had originally: I have too many holes for 1 pick to solve. Either I need more picks, or I need to flip my pick for multiple players.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

FairGame posted:

Would this be a serviceable SL outfield?

LF: Mantle
CF: Edmonds
RF: Maris/Vlad platoon

Definitely, with the one caveat that Edmonds is young and might roll badly.

FairGame posted:

Also, Roger Maris is a loving trap player :smith:

Yeah, a little, but, to be fair, '60 and '61 aside, he's solid but not spectacular. Less so in a depressed power environment, of course.

There's a talent inflation problem at work, as well. I wonder if a total reboot after a months-long hiatus might save Smasher's sanity and reset some of the structural problems we have, but that's entirely peripheral to the discussion at hand.

FairGame posted:

I suppose it doesn't matter what I can do with my #2 right now because nobody is trying to trade for it. I'd love tons of picks instead of players too! Really, it's the same logic I had originally: I have too many holes for 1 pick to solve. Either I need more picks, or I need to flip my pick for multiple players.

I can provide you with a reasonable package built around '03 Chipper Jones and a solid 1B in the peak Konerko or Olerud range, with a few extras, but people will call it a lowball. Shop around.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

FairGame posted:

Sometimes, you have to find the trade you need, it won't come to you. Take some time to look at the other teams in the draft, see what they're likely to be looking for, and post at them in the thread or send them a PM with an offer.

As for your OF alignment, Alou is probably going to be better overall than pre-rookie-season Vlad. Between all 3, it's a dangerous lack of plate patience, but it's the best you can make of the situation. It's also a situation you have the benefit of revisiting during the in-season draft. That said, if you could shore up your other holes reasonably to the point where platooning Alou/Guerrero/Maris is your worst spot in the lineup, you're probably doing okay.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I'm finding this all fascinating, at least. Like, if I had to do this all over again I'd have a coherent strategy to my team/park rather than "dudes that were good" and "yay st. louis" respectively.

I'd also have completely avoided the 2012 DBacks since it seems to be a pretty good rule of thumb that all the current players in their prime are bad.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
In the same vein, I'm also mulling over draft picks. What I want are two good SPs (I hope I'll be able to get either Maddux or Ryan with the 9th pick) but then I go into SL X needing an upgrade at 1B, or DH if I play Palmeiro there; wanting a hitting upgrade at SS; and the likely need to replace Larry "SL's most accursed CF" Doby or Rusty "Eh" Greer in LF.

I guess I could play Vic Wertz at LF but then I need an extra bat or a switch to no-DH. Otherwise, my offense feels OK. What do others think?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

FairGame posted:

I'm finding this all fascinating, at least. Like, if I had to do this all over again I'd have a coherent strategy to my team/park rather than "dudes that were good" and "yay st. louis" respectively.
Yeah, I'm finding that out right now!

quote:

I'd also have completely avoided the 2012 DBacks since it seems to be a pretty good rule of thumb that all the current players in their prime are bad.
Well, part of that is due to BBM apparently judging a player's body of work more than how good a player is at a particular time. I don't think I'd have chosen the 04 Expos as my bullpen saviors had I realized that. (getting a perfectly serviceable Nick Johnson and Jose Vidro for platooning has made it a less awful decision)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

CaptainYesterday posted:

Cthulhu Dreams, looking at your roster, I'm interested in what you want for Musial.

Which Musial? I have two - 1942 and 1959