Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Rirse posted:

Here is a picture of my character (red head with glasses), my pawn (lady in the mask on the right) and Blaise (Sylphosaurus' pawn) in the background. There is a fourth pawn of my friends, but she is behind the leader.

You're the first person to ever use eyeglasses and actually make them look good. On another note, I guess you get Barroch's cloak from a quest right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

bonzaisushi posted:

My stamina runs out insanely fast. I'm level 35 but using bitter back level 2 gear that I purified. Is that why?

I just spent some RC to hire Herpina and laughed aloud at her voice. I love the customisation options in this so much.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Until they get down to one or two life bars and decide to stop loving around and just oneshot you. All of my encounters with one so far have ended that way.

Not for me. He just stays lock down. He's specially fun in small tight spaces where the ricochet can hit a lot more. I shot him to the point he was basically on his back for the whole fight. He can rage but even then he doesn't have the chance to do anything.

zarron fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 7, 2013

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Lunethex posted:

You're the first person to ever use eyeglasses and actually make them look good. On another note, I guess you get Barroch's cloak from a quest right?

Yeah I'm glad they look good this time. I had a different scar on her face when I was using my original character, but the glasses looked bad with those. And I got the cape from the Black Cat shop (the one my pawn had is from a gift).

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

McDragon posted:

Oh, it turns out you can get out of an Eliminator's grasp before he whacks you. Found that out about twenty minutes after that post. Suck it, Goatman!

Is there a trick to the controller wiggling? I'm level 200 and I shake the thing as fast as I can back and forth-it breaks about anything fast but I can never actually get that broken. I mean it is *fast*. I wonder if I'm actually doing it too fast.(I know that a couple times I looked like I broke it but a pawn had shot the thing from behind.) When I get back I'll have to try a different approach.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I tried the bloody knuckle a bit, it does make punches do decent damage per hit, but it's still so much slower and shorter range than any other weapon (many humanoid enemies can stay outside of its range indefinitely just by dodging), and even the heavy kick doesn't have very much knockdown ability.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Azaael posted:

Is there a trick to the controller wiggling? I'm level 200 and I shake the thing as fast as I can back and forth-it breaks about anything fast but I can never actually get that broken. I mean it is *fast*. I wonder if I'm actually doing it too fast.

Sorry, haven't a clue. Every other time I've been whacked. This time it just worked. Dunno if it's just easier to escape stuff like that on easy mode, but the maneaters are still giving me problems escaping quickly.

Something I was wondering about that quest to get the 13 Bitterblack Armaments. Does it have to be the Betrayer/Shadow/Grave, or can you mix and match between those and the Hellfire/Oblivion/Carrion ones?

And another quest question, is it just the quest to kill the Silver and Gold Knights in the Everfall that you can't do in the post-game?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Azaael posted:

Is there a trick to the controller wiggling? I'm level 200 and I shake the thing as fast as I can back and forth-it breaks about anything fast but I can never actually get that broken. I mean it is *fast*. I wonder if I'm actually doing it too fast.(I know that a couple times I looked like I broke it but a pawn had shot the thing from behind.) When I get back I'll have to try a different approach.
Yes. Don't wiggle it back and forth. Rotate the stick around in a circular motion.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

gibbed posted:

Yes. Don't wiggle it back and forth. Rotate the stick around in a circular motion.

Wait, thinking about it, that's what I did this time!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

gibbed posted:

Great, so this is another game that shows the stick moving back and forth to indicate that you should move it around in a circle. Who came up with that?

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

McDragon posted:

Something I was wondering about that quest to get the 13 Bitterblack Armaments. Does it have to be the Betrayer/Shadow/Grave, or can you mix and match between those and the Hellfire/Oblivion/Carrion ones?

the high tier ones don't count, though you need the cloak even if it isn't armor. That quest was such a pain and the payoff is a ring that is only +500 health+500 stamina.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Great, so this is another game that shows the stick moving back and forth to indicate that you should move it around in a circle. Who came up with that?
Yeah, it's dumb. The only reason I know about it is because it was either previously mentioned in this thread or in the IRC channel when the original game had recently come out.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Merchant of Death posted:

the high tier ones don't count, though you need the cloak even if it isn't armor. That quest was such a pain and the payoff is a ring that is only +500 health+500 stamina.

Ah, balls. Thanks for letting me know. And if the reward is only that, I guess I'll stop worrying about it and just see if I get everything eventually.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
DA arrived today, and man I'd forgotten how ugly my Pawn's Abyssal armor set looks

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So can anyone tell me where to find the 5th entry for the Monument of Remembrance? I've found 1-4 and 6-17 but that last one eludes me.

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
I'm pretty sure that's the one where you need to climb up above one of the doors in the Ghost Pope's room.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I really wish every RPG had a "hide helmet" option for outside of combat. Some head armors have great stats and all but a lot are dumb looking and they cover up the entire head, then you can't see your pawn's faces etc. I just hate that contradiction to customization, then you get games with actual facial animation and it's completely wasted when you're wearing something like that. Only game that does this thing reliably is Dragon Age I think.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

RatHat posted:

You can kill him, but he has a huge amount of health and does a ton of damage so it won't be easy/quick. You can stand on the stairs and he won't be able to attack you, but good luck attacking his eye from there. Quickest way to kill him without using Blast Arrow spam/Maker's Finger is probably a Sorceror spamming High Maelstrom, or possibly High Levin. Ricochet Shot from Magic Archer would probably work too.
Prisoner goreclops is weakest to ice. Six/Ninefold shot tears him to pieces.

For melee, I've gotten way more mileage from ankle biting. There's only one sweet spot on his face that you are vaguely safe and it's dodgy because his constant swinging will bump you, plus the massive stamina drain every time he swings. His face being a weak spot is more about knocking him down and then finishing him off in the face, at least when it comes to melee.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Lunethex posted:

I really wish every RPG had a "hide helmet" option for outside of combat. Some head armors have great stats and all but a lot are dumb looking and they cover up the entire head, then you can't see your pawn's faces etc. I just hate that contradiction to customization, then you get games with actual facial animation and it's completely wasted when you're wearing something like that. Only game that does this thing reliably is Dragon Age I think.

I sorta like that you can't, actually. Sometimes you've got to suffer for fashion.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

gibbed posted:

I have tried doing this on a few occasions and it seems much slower than wiggling it. Maybe that's just because I'm too scared to move it fast enough because it looks like the plastic is being ripped away.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Until they get down to one or two life bars and decide to stop loving around and just oneshot you. All of my encounters with one so far have ended that way.

ogrepostin'
I tried to get a better shot but the camera focused on the ogre and it was also incredibly quick. Just POW, suddenly I'm in the air with 3/4 of my health bar gone and I have no idea what happened.

also wow jesus these images are compressed to all hell. A 1280x768 jpeg that's 64kb? aaaaaa

The only one that looks any good is this funny goreclops bug where I saved after he started rampaging, died, restarted, and he was reset but still in the middle-right of the room.

Smarmy Coworker fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 7, 2013

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Even with my RE6 tried and true method of putting my palm on the stick and spinning super fast, there's absolutely no way you can escape from that instant kill hammer attack unless your pawn helps you. You'll always get right close to the end and get up, but he'll kill you just as it happens, proving this is just the designer being a dick. The escape QTE in this game is just plain stupid anyway because half the time it never works because it fills way too slowly. The only things you can reliably escape from are Wolves, Ogres and Cyclops, but NOT the cyclops grab where they are frenzied and using both hands. Your only defense is not getting grabbed at all.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

I beat Daimon for the first time last night with my Strider/Sorcerer Arisen/Pawn. A pretty enjoyable fight, but nowhere near as metal as the Grigori fight (but what is?). Once I was able to get on his head and start doing the Strider thing to it, the health bar just started melting away. Still, took awhile to get to that point.

I need to see about getting my xbox hooked up to the internet. The RC costs for these level 3 things are expensive. (alas the layout of the house would mean I'd need to run a long USB or buy one of those too-expensive Xbox wireless bits. I probably have a cord somewhere...)

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Do pawns reliably use "Skull Splitter" when they're set as Striders? I'm inclined to just switch that over to Implicate.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Implicate is amazing. It is the reason I use Strider over Ranger with my Arisen. (Elder) Ogres and Eliminators even have vulnerable frames where it can stun them or even pull them to the ground. You can yank those spellcasting jerkoff evil pawns right out of their malestroms. Even if you aren't immediately following up with an attack on their vulnerable prone forms, tearing all over the battlefield knocking enemies down can give the rest of the team time to set up their own spells or attacks.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Seconded. If me or my Pawn can use Implicate, it never ever leaves the skill list. It's saved my rear end so many times and is amazing for setting up openings or just giving yourself some breathing room to buff or reposition.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Ramc posted:

Implicate is amazing. It is the reason I use Strider over Ranger with my Arisen. (Elder) Ogres and Eliminators even have vulnerable frames where it can stun them or even pull them to the ground. You can yank those spellcasting jerkoff evil pawns right out of their malestroms. Even if you aren't immediately following up with an attack on their vulnerable prone forms, tearing all over the battlefield knocking enemies down can give the rest of the team time to set up their own spells or attacks.

I don't know about this, I tried to test it a few weeks ago on my main character. I had Gorecyclops, the baby ones that always frenzy, being stunned pretty often and I tried using it on them, even from behind, wasn't doing anything. Eliminators and some other Bitterblack enemies (Living Armor is one) also just get up immediately so that's sort of a drawback. To answer my own question though, the pawn seems to wait for enemies to get closer to each other and then runs in to use it, or they'll use it when they're surrounded I think. Still, just for utility, I'll probably put it on anyway, since I've set this strider up to be all about climbing and damage. I'll post it later to the list for those who need something like it.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...

Chas McGill posted:

I just spent some RC to hire Herpina and laughed aloud at her voice. I love the customisation options in this so much.

Haha tell me about it, i was running around with 3 high pitched pawns and 1 deep voiced pawn earlier and it made for some hilarious chatter.

I hope Herpina did not let you down, she usually does an awesome job with me but im still trying to understand this pawn stuff. I sit in a chair with her constantly and tell her to shut up and make sure im ok… at least i think. So hopefully thats what shes doing with others.

Thanks for using her! ill have to grab yours! Its been a blast renting a bunch a goon pawns.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Lunethex posted:

Do pawns reliably use "Skull Splitter" when they're set as Striders? I'm inclined to just switch that over to Implicate.

I changed my pawn to a Strider a few days ago and when she uses Brain Splitter (upgraded Skull Splitter from a ring) it tears poo poo apart. I'm not sure if Eminence, the augment that boosts jumping attack damage, stacks with it. If I switch out a skill it will be Shearing Wind for Implicate.

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news

Lunethex posted:

Even with my RE6 tried and true method of putting my palm on the stick and spinning super fast...

You can spin both sticks at once in RE6 and blow through the QTEs. :eng101:

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Rascyc posted:

Prisoner goreclops is weakest to ice. Six/Ninefold shot tears him to pieces.

For melee, I've gotten way more mileage from ankle biting. There's only one sweet spot on his face that you are vaguely safe and it's dodgy because his constant swinging will bump you, plus the massive stamina drain every time he swings. His face being a weak spot is more about knocking him down and then finishing him off in the face, at least when it comes to melee.

I was magic archer and the abilities didn't seem to do much damage. The only one that made the health bar move a noticeable amount was sixfold arrows and it was a small amount I figured it wasn't worth it, especially when the pawns just run around like retards getting stomped.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Lunethex posted:

I don't know about this, I tried to test it a few weeks ago on my main character. I had Gorecyclops, the baby ones that always frenzy, being stunned pretty often and I tried using it on them, even from behind, wasn't doing anything. Eliminators and some other Bitterblack enemies (Living Armor is one) also just get up immediately so that's sort of a drawback.

I haven't tried it much with the baby gorecyclops; it is much simpler to just jump on their head and kiss them to death. If you hit an ogre when they are a little dizzy from their rampage (it is a small window) you can stun or pull them down. With eliminators they have a handful of places where you can stun/knock them down. The biggest window is when they are doing their charge and then it knocks them off their feet. Implicating a foe when they are stunned or staggered (even by an initial implicate) can often pull them down too. I don't even care if they get up quickly or not. If they are on their rear end they are not one-shotting my casters and even a second-long stun might be the difference between your pawn getting off a spell or not.

I do not know if the AI can use Implicate optimally though.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Danith posted:

I was magic archer and the abilities didn't seem to do much damage. The only one that made the health bar move a noticeable amount was sixfold arrows and it was a small amount I figured it wasn't worth it, especially when the pawns just run around like retards getting stomped.
Did you detach the helmet? You do a lot more damage if you take it off and hit them in the face with Sixfold. Granted, it's still going to take awhile, but they drop nice loot. You can just sit up top and shoot them in the face.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Danith posted:

My level 59 MK was doing very noticeable damage by just jumping onto its head and whack it from the back. But after about 2 bars down, he will grab and oneshot-chomp down on me, the pawns do not seem to do enough damage for him to dislodge me and I always get to about 3/4 of the escape bar when it happens.

Tried it a few times and always ended the same way. Is there a safe spot to cling to, to prevent that grab?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Weissritter posted:

My level 59 MK was doing very noticeable damage by just jumping onto its head and whack it from the back. But after about 2 bars down, he will grab and oneshot-chomp down on me, the pawns do not seem to do enough damage for him to dislodge me and I always get to about 3/4 of the escape bar when it happens.

Tried it a few times and always ended the same way. Is there a safe spot to cling to, to prevent that grab?

With my MK I just chilled up on the ledge and shot him with 3-4 great cannons. It was pretty easy that way. Only danger was from going down to heal pawns between cannon setups.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

itskage posted:

With my MK I just chilled up on the ledge and shot him with 3-4 great cannons. It was pretty easy that way. Only danger was from going down to heal pawns between cannon setups.

Yeah, it seems to be the safer way, but I wanted to go :black101: on him... Maybe I should have went with a fighter, heh.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
I was excited to grab some goon pawns, but the ones on my friend list so far (have some other invites out) are 9 and 18 levels higher than me. That's too high, right? I'm not too concerned about the experience thing, I just don't want it to make things too easy.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Nine levels above you probably isn't too bad. Eighteen probably isn't too bad either, but if you want pawns that are closer to your level, no harm in that.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Nahxela posted:

Nine levels above you probably isn't too bad. Eighteen probably isn't too bad either, but if you want pawns that are closer to your level, no harm in that.

Eh, I'll roll with them through some side quests. They're pretty badass, and honestly don't seem to make things too easy, just aren't quite as annoying as the equal level pawns, because they're not dying all the time.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Rollie the Guar posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the one where you need to climb up above one of the doors in the Ghost Pope's room.

Nah, found that one. That's number 8 or something close to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Yep, Brain Splitter is great. Going to add Implicate to that and Hundred Kisses. Also someone asked this earlier, but yes, Eminence counts with Brain Splitter.

• Locked thread