Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have any recommendations for cheapish sunglasses available in the UK? I'm just after something for running, golf, driving and occasionally wearing casually. Will be wearing with contacts so doesn't need to take a prescription lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I'm a fan of Release Sunglasses, they are well made for pretty standard Wayfarer knockoffs.
I dunno what shipping to the UK is though.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Looking to purchase a new messenger bag for work, travel, general use. Right now I have this which was ok for a few years, but the zippers are starting to break and the aesthetic is getting old.

I have been eyeing a timbuk2 classic messenger and I was looking for some words on peoples' experiences with timbuk2. The price is a little high, so I want to make sure I'm going down the right road here.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I have one of their Swig bags and really like it. After a year and a half there's a little wear along the bottom edge but it otherwise looks new.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

SubNat posted:

I could suggest a X-Mini 2, it uses a normal audio plug, and can be charged with a Mini-b Usb plug, and lasts for 6+ hours on a charge. ( You can even buy a bunch of them, and chain them together, but I have no idea why you would want to. )
I've got one, got it off Amazon. It's pretty good though unfortunately not much louder than my phone's speaker. I was thinking of getting another so it would be presumably twice as loud.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

couldcareless posted:

Looking to purchase a new messenger bag for work, travel, general use. Right now I have this which was ok for a few years, but the zippers are starting to break and the aesthetic is getting old.

I have been eyeing a timbuk2 classic messenger and I was looking for some words on peoples' experiences with timbuk2. The price is a little high, so I want to make sure I'm going down the right road here.

I have a small classic messenger and after two years of everyday use as a bicycle commuting bag, it pretty much looks brand new and not one thing has broken on it. Totally recommended, surf the internet for a bit and you're likely to find a deal or two, too.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

couldcareless posted:

Timbuk2 is alright got what it is I guess but if you are serious about the bad and want to knock it around for years, have it work like brand new the whole time, and be COMFORTABLE, which you should, be prepared to spend more. There is a messenger bag thread in ylls and they can help you find exactly what you want if you tell them specifics. Personally I'd say if the Timbuk2 aesthetic is cool with you I'd go for Chrome or Mission Workshop.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Bhodi posted:

I've got one, got it off Amazon. It's pretty good though unfortunately not much louder than my phone's speaker. I was thinking of getting another so it would be presumably twice as loud.

Please do report back if you test this theory, I agree the one is not loud enough (I can't hear podcasts in the shower :bahgawd: )

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

EdBlackadder posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for cheapish sunglasses available in the UK? I'm just after something for running, golf, driving and occasionally wearing casually. Will be wearing with contacts so doesn't need to take a prescription lens.

Just brand whore something cool, neff makes a cheap pair of new aviators or w/e they're called for like $15. Or you can go with some Spy's or Dragon's for 50-90$.

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
Looking for ideas for a boombox. Or maybe a decent set of speakers/soundbar. Nothing too fancy, since I'll be taking it to work in a warehouse and don't want to fret over it getting torn up or busted. The only requirements would be a AUX in and maybe a USB port. Sadly the push into phones/mp3 players has changed the market and I don't recognize any of the brand names so I'm lost from the start of looking for one.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI/ref=pd_sim_e_1
with

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B1000-4-Inch-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B000OG88KY/ref=sr_1_1
or
http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-B652-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B002RMPHMU/ref=sr_1_4

are pretty popular, no frills combos. I use the Lepai with slightly more expensive Pioneer speakers, and they've been great. Massive upgrade from a Philips iphone dock that cost around the same.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

Timbuk2 is alright got what it is I guess but if you are serious about the bad and want to knock it around for years, have it work like brand new the whole time, and be COMFORTABLE, which you should, be prepared to spend more. There is a messenger bag thread in ylls and they can help you find exactly what you want if you tell them specifics. Personally I'd say if the Timbuk2 aesthetic is cool with you I'd go for Chrome or Mission Workshop.

I have had a Timbuk2 for like 13 years and it has held up to about 10 years of near daily carry. I did flirt with a Chrome bag for a while but I found the buckle uncomfortable and never really used it as it seems pointless. Recently I bought a Maxpadition bag and while I do like it, it is too small and the next one up in size is too big.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BrokenKnees posted:

Looking for ideas for a boombox. Or maybe a decent set of speakers/soundbar. Nothing too fancy, since I'll be taking it to work in a warehouse and don't want to fret over it getting torn up or busted. The only requirements would be a AUX in and maybe a USB port. Sadly the push into phones/mp3 players has changed the market and I don't recognize any of the brand names so I'm lost from the start of looking for one.

It doesn't have any inputs for traditional media (CD/Tape), but the Jawbone Jambox and BIG Jambox are really pretty drat good in my opinion.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

EdBlackadder posted:

I don't have a brand in particular I like, but in the US I typically get nice/cheap sunglasses by searching for safety glasses instead. They're not marketed for fashion, but I've found some nice looking wraparounds for 9 USD on amazon that have worked well for me. As a bonus, they're usually impact rated.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Anyone ever used a passport renewal expediting service? I might have a pretty cool job opportunity at the end of the month but I need to get my passport "fixed". Years go when I first got it it was issued with my last name pretty misspelled. At the time I was just going into Canada for another job and there wasn't time to deal with it so I just hid my DL and used it. Actually flying somewhere makes me a bit afraid of trying this again.

I would also love a link if there is a thread/forum where maybe I could get some advice about this.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

bunnielab posted:

Anyone ever used a passport renewal expediting service? I might have a pretty cool job opportunity at the end of the month but I need to get my passport "fixed". Years go when I first got it it was issued with my last name pretty misspelled. At the time I was just going into Canada for another job and there wasn't time to deal with it so I just hid my DL and used it. Actually flying somewhere makes me a bit afraid of trying this again.

I would also love a link if there is a thread/forum where maybe I could get some advice about this.

Assuming you're American, the State Dept offers an expedited service.

quote:

As of ( Thursday May 9, 2013 ), we are processing requests for expedited service in about 2-3 weeks door-to-door, when overnight delivery is requested and paid for both ways (to and from the passport agency).

http://travel.state.gov/passport/processing/processing_1740.html

They also discuss "If you are Traveling within 14 Days or Need a Passport for a Foreign Visa within 4 Weeks" on that page. Contacting the State Department would probably be the safest way to get it done quickly.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

bunnielab posted:

I have had a Timbuk2 for like 13 years and it has held up to about 10 years of near daily carry. I did flirt with a Chrome bag for a while but I found the buckle uncomfortable and never really used it as it seems pointless. Recently I bought a Maxpadition bag and while I do like it, it is too small and the next one up in size is too big.

To be fair I think anything made out of the poo poo that they all make bags out of these days will last drat near forever, I just didn't find timbuk2 stuff comfortable. That's really my main beef with them. If you find timbuk2 comfy by all means get one and I think they have a good return policy

Nannypea
Feb 20, 2006

Faster, you naughty little monkey!
My Mom has asked for a pedometer for Mother's Day. I was thinking the FitBit but then she told me she wants something she doesn't need to learn how to use. What's a good pedometer that's idiot proof?? As in just put on and use, no step input, etc.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Nannypea posted:

My Mom has asked for a pedometer for Mother's Day. I was thinking the FitBit but then she told me she wants something she doesn't need to learn how to use. What's a good pedometer that's idiot proof?? As in just put on and use, no step input, etc.

No step input? I think that's kind of a default thing for a pedometer unless you're just counting steps and not trying to estimate distance or something. Can you help with initial settings then let her go nuts with it?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

PirateDentist posted:

Assuming you're American, the State Dept offers an expedited service.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/processing/processing_1740.html

They also discuss "If you are Traveling within 14 Days or Need a Passport for a Foreign Visa within 4 Weeks" on that page. Contacting the State Department would probably be the safest way to get it done quickly.

I did the expedited service because I needed to renew my passport on short notice, and it went great. I had to wait hella hours in line to get it done, but I got the thing super fast.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Nannypea posted:

Does she have an iPhone or iPad? The Nike FuelBand+ might be what you're looking for.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have a fuelband and it's not accurate whatsoever. It's more of a motivator and not something that will actually count how many steps you take.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

I'd like to get my teenage niece and nephew each a bento box, but all of the ones I'm seeing that aren't over $40-50 each are very small. Does anyone have any suggestions for finding some in the US that are actually big enough to hold a lunch? I don't mind shopping online.

dr3wby
Oct 22, 2007

I'm gonna go inside, and I'm gonna get a shovel.

Nannypea posted:

I have a Fitbit One and it's pretty idiot proof so long as you remember to charge it for a few hours once a week. You can plug in a usb dongle to the computer and it will automatically sync information when you get near it. The only thing you have to worry about is making sure you have it on you (in your pocket) and not washing it.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Dammit I just bought a Fuelband+ today. I didnt pay full price though.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Amelia Song posted:

I'd like to get my teenage niece and nephew each a bento box, but all of the ones I'm seeing that aren't over $40-50 each are very small. Does anyone have any suggestions for finding some in the US that are actually big enough to hold a lunch? I don't mind shopping online.

I've had this in my wish list for a while, haven't actually broken down and bought it yet (still not sure how to explain a $40 lunchbox to the wife). It looks fairly decent size I think.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

couldcareless posted:

Tom Bihn has some nice bags!

BrokenKnees posted:

enter the boomcase

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Amelia Song posted:

Check out the bento box / box appetit & velcro bag at black & blum

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I know the discussion of ear buds come and go;

I have tried all variation and price range for ear bud headphones, maybe I have weird shaped ear cannals, but nothing 'stays put'

Even just sitting at a desk with ear buds in, they slowly slip and fall. Imagine my annoyance when jogging.

Any recommendations for ear buds that will stay put? Bluetooth would be a bonus, but would prefer not to spend over $100

Perhaps there is something like this http://www.surefire.com/ep3-sonic-defenders.html

I have a pair for work / shooting, and they stay in my ear great... but I can't see a way to hook them up to a phone/music player

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Sappo569 posted:

I have tried all variation and price range for ear bud headphones, maybe I have weird shaped ear cannals, but nothing 'stays put'

Even just sitting at a desk with ear buds in, they slowly slip and fall. Imagine my annoyance when jogging.

Any recommendations for ear buds that will stay put? Bluetooth would be a bonus, but would prefer not to spend over $100

Perhaps there is something like this http://www.surefire.com/ep3-sonic-defenders.html

I have a pair for work / shooting, and they stay in my ear great... but I can't see a way to hook them up to a phone/music player

One of my family members had the same issue. Got them

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-CX-680i-Sports-Headset/dp/B003WVA6P8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368250997&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+adidas

There are different sets with the same functionality but they seem to work well for jogging and just staying in

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Panda Time posted:

enter the boomcase

Why are most modern boomboxes designed with entirely unprotected speaker cones? It looks cool, but many are supposed to be portable things you take outside. I take something like that camping and a twig will be through a tweeter within the day. TDK stuff has good reviews (and are actually sanely priced) but same thing, no grills.

It's an incredibly stupid design.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Whiteycar posted:

One of my family members had the same issue. Got them

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-CX-680i-Sports-Headset/dp/B003WVA6P8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368250997&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+adidas

There are different sets with the same functionality but they seem to work well for jogging and just staying in

Thanks I'll take a look

Although the first or second review I see on the amazon page says 'They keep falling out of my ears'

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I want to recommend the Iron Gym pull up bar, yeah the ones on TV with the super cheesy infomercial. I've had it for about 5 months now and it's pretty useless for doing dips or ab crunches, but it's great for pull ups, chin ups, and deep push ups. When I first got it I couldn't even do one chin up. Pretty embarrassing but you can watch videos on youtube for advice on how to start out and slowly work your way up to do a full chin up. Now I can do 6 in a row, rest, and do 4-5 more, rest, and do 4 more before exhausting my arms. It's really nice and convenient to be able to have this at home so you don't have to do it in front of strangers.

Ignore those cheesy ads saying you'll get ripped quick or whatever and forget doing dips or sit ups on it. But get it for the convenience of pull ups at home. It's also really cheap.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Sappo569 posted:

Are you inserting your earphones in properly? If you have earphones that go into your canal make sure the tips are not too big (most earphones come with multiple tips nowadays). And aside from getting the right tip, inserting them in is another key step. You do this by pulling down on your earlobe gently to open up your ear canal, then you insert earphone in, release lobe.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Sappo569 posted:

I have the same problem. For me, the solution was to get earbuds that were not silicone. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAFX30S-Headphone-Marshmallow-Silver/dp/B005FDOGCU/ref=pd_sim_e_6

They have yet to leave my ears without my permission.

Aubergine Despot
Jan 1, 2009
Even the marshmallow foam earbuds fall out of my tiny little ear canals, but I've had pretty good luck with these:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technic...words=Ath-cks77

The middle, circular, plastic part sits in your ear and the tips go into the canal, so it's being supported by your ear in two places. They still fall out sometimes, but they stay in longer than anything I've ever tried apart from the sadly discontinued "18 Styles" ATH-CK6's.

If the style appeals but the price is a deterrent, the ATH-CKS55's are the same casing around cheaper internal parts.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You can also go pay $50 and go get a wax mold of your ear that musicians buy for in-ear monitors. It hooks onto most earbuds instead of silicone or foam and I'm pretty sure it won't fall out.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

Sappo569 posted:

I have a pair of JayBird Freedoms - they're bluetooth but they come with an extra piece which ensures they don't fall out. My only gripe is that the they're a little bulkier than I'd like.

Though I just noticed a new pair on their website which are much smaller, very tempted to upgrade.. Jaybird Bluebuds X

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Sappo569 posted:

I feel your pain. On top of the other recommendations already posted, I purchased these last month and they're fantastic. They stay in my ear while I run and the sound quality is great. They're not bluetooth, unfortunately. They do come with an extension cord, though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007IL4ROE/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

bunnielab posted:

Not sure if you already dealt with this, but if you live reasonably close to a passport center it's totally worth it to just go there. I had to get mine renewed late last year at the Denver center, it took less than 3 hours with the expedite service. YMMV a bit if you don't have an itinerary when you go, but it should still be a lot quicker than the month it took for a first issue.

edit
If you want to use a mail-in service, I've heard a few horror stories about Rush My Passport, but a lot more good than bad. I'm an overseas contractor so this comes up pretty frequently, and when you're stuck in Kandahar with an about-to-expire passport, mail-in is the only way to do it.

Pudgygiant has a new favorite as of 17:24 on May 12, 2013

• Locked thread