Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
abstraction is often a very desirable quality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Ronald Raiden posted:

abstraction is often a very desirable quality

addendum: not in ruby when no code is documented

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
oh we are still talking about ruby. well thats fine then.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
tef get the visa

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Good abstraction is good. Bad abstraction is bad. If you hate abstraction you probably only provide or are provided bad abstraction. Also some things are hard to abstract and most abstraction for these things will be bad.

Hooray / News at 11.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

jooky posted:

so ask for it or leave idk

tldr: yeah i've been taking the opportunity to look for a new job, but most of them involve moving. i'm lazy. i already tried the asking bit. I've been applying this and last week for lovely jobs in london

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
step up and move to the valley, everyone's hiring

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011

Internaut! posted:

Only easy to do if you're american or canadian (yay TN visa). IDK about mexicans, you'd think they could get TN's too but, you know, racism. Pretty sure tef would have to get an H1B or something.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Internaut! posted:

h1b's are capped for the year so good luck with that

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

but tef is white, surely an exception can be made for him??

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Werthog 95 posted:

but tef is white, surely an exception can be made for him??

php is already the exception

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
if he finds some way in which scotland is oppressing him (eg. the weather) he could come over on a refugee visa

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i'm going to have a masters degree soon, is there any way to just get a company to skip straight to the green card bit? iirc there's no administrative backlog for holders of "advanced degrees"

i mean, after hr finishes laughing in my face, this is technically a thing that an employer can do right?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

tef posted:

tldr: yeah i've been taking the opportunity to look for a new job, but most of them involve moving. i'm lazy. i already tried the asking bit. I've been applying this and last week for lovely jobs in london

come to munich so we can be miserable shithead alcoholic programmers together

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i'm considering moving to canada for a year or 2 as an interim solution before moving to the states but the fact that the canadian telecom cartel makes the US one look honest and competitive by comparison is actually a factor making me not want to do it

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

Mr Dog posted:

i'm considering moving to canada for a year or 2 as an interim solution before moving to the states but the fact that the canadian telecom cartel makes the US one look honest and competitive by comparison is actually a factor making me not want to do it

go to toronto and work in finance
go to the west and work on bideo games
go to quebec and write embedded software for planes

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Quebec (more specifically Montreal) also has a decent bideo games industry

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

go to ottawa and cheer for the sens

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i'd rather move to the us tbh, if i wanted poo poo weather and an it economy focused around prostituting yourself to the financial industry i'd remain in london. i suppose even the quebecois couldn't be bigger wankers than your average londoner though.

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

MononcQc posted:

was gonna post this. government contractors w/ embedded software for planes are in ottawa (along with a bunch of ex-nortel phone startups. and shopify.)

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

gucci void main posted:

go to ottawa and cheer for the sens
lol never cheer for the sens

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

i suppose even the quebecois couldn't be bigger wankers than your average londoner though.

...sure.

got punted half of a PHP project, some simple form processing and SQL inserts. my expectations of PHP were so low that it's actually kind of nice? thanks for that, thread.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

i really wish there was a us-eu relaxation of visa laws so i could work for a bit in london but it looks like the us is the only place with jobs

gently caress u conservatives for killing the post study work visa!!!!

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

MononcQc posted:

Incorrect. There is no such thing as a decent games industry

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Malcolm XML posted:

Talk About Owned

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Malcolm XML posted:

i really wish there was a us-eu relaxation of visa laws so i could work for a bit in london but it looks like the us is the only place with jobs

if you can write software you're a highly skilled worker and that's exactly what the eu blue card visa program was designed for

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Incorrect. There is no such thing as a decent games industry

Decent in terms of numbers, not quality, obviously!

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

horse mans posted:

if you can write software you're a highly skilled worker and that's exactly what the eu blue card visa program was designed for

How's Germany btw? I'm thinking of doing the big move next year once I've finished some stuff here in Mexico.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Hard NOP Life posted:

How's Germany btw? I'm thinking of doing the big move next year once I've finished some stuff here in Mexico.

it'd be better if i didn't have crippling social anxiety, but munich is full of beautiful things which i'll eventually go out and partake in more

are you thinking north germany or south because there's a huge difference from what i'm figuring out

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

horse mans posted:

Blue card doesn't work in the Uk+ireland (and denmark wtf) but i will gladly take a job on the continent (if i could find one (i.e. if i knew anyone at a company thats the only place ive gotten any leads in the us :( ))

also u need 5 years of experience which i as a student do not have

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

horse mans posted:

it'd be better if i didn't have crippling social anxiety, but munich is full of beautiful things which i'll eventually go out and partake in more

are you thinking north germany or south because there's a huge difference from what i'm figuring out

Just Germany at this point, I'm not too familiar with all the geographic and social differences within the country.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
in the north people say Gruss dich, in the south they say Gruss Gott

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.
bavaria is also it's own thing

i loving loved munich, best city ever imo. if you like biking and having good beer and a relaxing atmosphere, live in munich

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
since the place seems to be full of frostbacks, can anyone tell me what collingwood/wasaga beach/georgian bay are like in the summer?

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
That far north the black fly to college kids in bathing suits ratio starts to swing in the wrong direction imo

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Malcolm XML posted:

Blue card doesn't work in the Uk+ireland (and denmark wtf) but i will gladly take a job on the continent (if i could find one (i.e. if i knew anyone at a company thats the only place ive gotten any leads in the us :( ))

also u need 5 years of experience which i as a student do not have

boo. i really only speak english

what's france like? i used to be able to speak french

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Jerry SanDisky posted:

That far north the black fly to college kids in bathing suits ratio starts to swing in the wrong direction imo

might be doing the honeymoon there. the other area we're looking at is alexandria bay-ish on the st. lawrence

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
everything ive heard about working for video games makes it sound like the worst industry to work in. Doing indie dev sounds better but there isn't a ton of job security there, and who knows how to break into a space.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

Otto Skorzeny posted:

might be doing the honeymoon there. the other area we're looking at is alexandria bay-ish on the st. lawrence

1000 islands is nice, and you're really close to Kingston as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011

prefect posted:

boo. i really only speak english

what's france like? i used to be able to speak french

you can work in a lot of places only speaking english, holland has more fluent english speakers than canada

Jerry SanDisky posted:

1000 islands is nice, and you're really close to Kingston as well

1000 islands is pretty as hell, kingston is boring unless you like prisons or something