Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
My mom and grandma are Jews from Hungary, I grew up listnening to them speak the language an watching kids shows from there and I always wanted to visit. I'm afraid to now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

(Not saying that Christian aversion to contraceptives doesn't contribute to the epidemic, but the main causes are poverty, overpopulation and lack of education)

Captain_Maclaine posted:

If you know, are these modern right-wing nationalists generally royalists, or is there more of a connection to Hungarian fascism ala the Arrow Cross?

Generally speaking, they tend more towards either the conservative authoritarian Horthy model of government or the Arrow Cross variety of fascism. While monarchist symbolism is still widespread in Hungary (the Crown being at the centre of this), I'd think that the fact that the Habsburgs are essentially a "foreign" dynasty would be reason enough for most nationalists to reject monarchical restoration. It is interesting to note that in the early years after WWI Charles I tried to regain the throne in Hungary twice, both times without any success. The Horthy governement refused to support him, even though from 1920 to 1944 Hungary legally was a monarchy without a king (hence Horthy's title of 'regent'). This was mostly grounded in political reality though, as Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia threatened to militarily intervene in case of any restoration attempts.

That's not saying that Hungarian monarchism doesn't exist, though! It seems to be a rather minuscule force in today's politics, however. Most of the Hungarian far right is irredentist in goal and authoritarian/fascist in ideology, but not monarchist.

e: somehow overlooked this:

Rhinoceraptor posted:

My mom and grandma are Jews from Hungary, I grew up listnening to them speak the language an watching kids shows from there and I always wanted to visit. I'm afraid to now.

You needn't be. While anti-semitism undoubtedly is on the rise in Hungary, you as a (presumably) American tourist would have nothing to fear, at least not in Budapest. While there I still saw orthodox Jews on the streets, and the only openly anti-semitic attack I know of was at a football match when someone asked the other people in the audience to stop chanting anti-semitic slurs. Still terrible and reprehensible, but it's not like the synagogues are burning. As long as you don't draw attention by the wrong people to your heritage (and I know that this constriction is pretty hosed up), you should be in no danger. And HUngary really is a beautiful country!

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 09:23 on May 7, 2013

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Women of the Mexican Revolution:

Anarchist militia women in the Spanish civil war

Second world war Night witches

Second world war, US:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Am I crazy or are the first few pages of Google results pretty right-wing anymore? The other day I was trying to find examples of egregious lies in Bob Jones University Press homeschool texts but everything Google gave me was pro-homeschool

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

ekuNNN posted:

Second world war Night witches

Second world war, US:

Oh come on, at least mention the WAC.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

ptk posted:

NESARA is the best conspiracy theory.

Yiddish WW1 recruitment posters.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

cyberbully posted:

The chin is one defining factor between anatomically modern homo sapiens skulls from archaic homo sapiens

That's on the main common of the University of Southern Indiana. I went to an anti-war protest there and was told "political functions are not allowed on the common", the next day some preacher was on the common calling women who had premarital sex whores.

Unrelated, I've been seeing these signs everywhere. People are trying to frame abortion as an infringement on their 1st amendment rights. (insert picture of :rolleyes: vomiting smaller :rolleyes:)

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

System Metternich posted:

The Old Hungarian alphabet (which had become basically obsolete by the 11th century) has turned into a popular symbol for right-wing nationalists, comparable to Germanic/Nordic runes, and can be seen more and more often. This pub is a popular meeting place for young nationalists.
This really burns my biscuit. We were warned before going to Germany not to mention being pagan because apparently this was construed as being "neo-nazi" and they didn't seem to learn anything about pre-Christian religion at all. Found it pretty poo poo to tell the truth.

Crocuta
Nov 6, 2004
wakkawa
From a collection of 50 Dutch work safety posters, some of them look like posters for horror films. They originally came from http://www.geheugenvannederland.nl/ which seem to have a metric ton of historical Dutch posters.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

What am I supposed to be seeing?

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Kavak posted:

And the Women Airforce Service Pilots.

Crocuta posted:

From a collection of 50 Dutch work safety posters, some of them look like posters for horror films. They originally came from http://www.geheugenvannederland.nl/ which seem to have a metric ton of historical Dutch posters.

This looks like a Mechanicus poster from WH40K: Beware, brother, the Omnissiah is watching.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Rhinoceraptor posted:

This is terrific, what a good idea.

unfortunate c-span framing

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

gently caress friedman forever

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kavak posted:

Oh, haha, that wasn't on purpose. Those were just the women in war pictures that I found recently v:v:v

ZSK - Antifascista
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q15qLdQ9bNM

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Tonk posted:

Rhinoceraptor posted:

This is terrific, what a good idea.

It's been done before though:

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Kavak posted:

Well to be honest, neither the WAC nor the WASP were allowed to serve in combat roles and were often treated as glorified secretaries by their male colleagues. On the other hand, during the Spanish Civil war amongst the C.N.T.-F.A.I. women were leaders and active participants shaping the revolution (to the point that the propaganda against the Republicans by the Catholic Church and fascists was that women were too 'free'). In WWII with the Soviet union you have around 500,000 women in combat at any given time, many acting as officers. I understand the importance of the WAC and WASP within the US and UK, but they should not be held in equal terms to what was happening around the world in places like the Spanish Republic and USSR

Also: NRA Vendor Sells Ex-Girlfriend Target That Bleeds When You Shoot It

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Looks like Andrew W.K. with boobies.

Brazilian cancer awareness organization AAPEC's mascot, Sr. Testículo, is a big hit at the 9th Horse and Mule Festival in Viçosa.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
^^^^^^^^^^KREMLIN AT ME BRO

let the poo poo storm begin

Trench_Rat fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 7, 2013

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Peanut President posted:

Unrelated, I've been seeing these signs everywhere. People are trying to frame abortion as an infringement on their 1st amendment rights. (insert picture of :rolleyes: vomiting smaller :rolleyes:)

This will be valuable to have on hand in the future, I'd wager.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfelqZpapZA

Political content:

This is Colbert Busch casting her vote today. This is also the image Getty decided to push out over the wires. Oops.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Ongoing right now: the DE Senate is debating marriage equality on the floor. The House passed it a few weeks ago and Gov. Markell has given his support, so if it passes today Delaware will be the 11th state in the union to legalize same-sex marriage. According to my partner, an activist here in Delaware, there are 21 total votes, 9 have been promised to support same-sex marriage, 7 have been promised against it, and the remaining 5 are up in the air. As a queer Delawarian, I so hope my state does the right thing.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I didn't pay much attention to that years long hostage thing but I'm glad that CNN managed to bungle it again

Here's nancy grace satellite interviewing another reporter, who appears to be in the exact same parking lot. Pay attention to the vehicles behind them.

some more

there's gotta be a video I can see this in. :allears:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

quiggy posted:

Ongoing right now: the DE Senate is debating marriage equality on the floor. The House passed it a few weeks ago and Gov. Markell has given his support, so if it passes today Delaware will be the 11th state in the union to legalize same-sex marriage. According to my partner, an activist here in Delaware, there are 21 total votes, 9 have been promised to support same-sex marriage, 7 have been promised against it, and the remaining 5 are up in the air. As a queer Delawarian, I so hope my state does the right thing.

And after a period of heated debate, the result is...

We did it! Highlights include a failed last-ditch motion to table the bill and state senator Karen Peterson coming out as gay and in a civil union with her partner of 24 years during the debate. My girlfriend and I can get married now :3:

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

quiggy posted:

If that doesn't work you can always come to Maryland until you guys get it right!

Edit: you should still come to Maryland for vacation some time :colbert:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Mauser posted:

If that doesn't work you can always come to Maryland until you guys get it right!

Edit: you should still come to Maryland for vacation some time :colbert:

My sister lives in Maryland is getting married down there this summer, I'm always down for a vacation trip to Baltimore though :)

Karen Peterson, the senator who came out during the debate. Thanks so much Karen, I know that must have been incredibly difficult for you but it was worth it for the rest of us.

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

quiggy posted:

And after a period of heated debate, the result is...

We did it! Highlights include a failed last-ditch motion to table the bill and state senator Karen Peterson coming out as gay and in a civil union with her partner of 24 years during the debate. My girlfriend and I can get married now :3:
Enjoy your impending assimilation.

Seriously though, that's awesome, good job Delaware, and super cool to have a senator come out during the debate :)

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
Free French colonial soldiers equiped with what looks like a Bren gun and a US springfield rifle, logistics :psyduck:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Dusseldorf posted:

Did I do this right?

1400000000 KT

What site is this?

e: Nevermind found it http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

Moist von Lipwig fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 7, 2013

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

ughhhh posted:

Well to be honest, neither the WAC nor the WASP were allowed to serve in combat roles and were often treated as glorified secretaries by their male colleagues. On the other hand, during the Spanish Civil war amongst the C.N.T.-F.A.I. women were leaders and active participants shaping the revolution (to the point that the propaganda against the Republicans by the Catholic Church and fascists was that women were too 'free'). In WWII with the Soviet union you have around 500,000 women in combat at any given time, many acting as officers. I understand the importance of the WAC and WASP within the US and UK, but they should not be held in equal terms to what was happening around the world in places like the Spanish Republic and USSR

Also: NRA Vendor Sells Ex-Girlfriend Target That Bleeds When You Shoot It

They also have a target that Totally Isn't The President, Guys! :stare:

http://zombieindustries.com/shop/rocky-zombie/

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Gozinbulx posted:

What am I supposed to be seeing?

Click the map image and it leads to the explanation. (The Bank on St.Laurent stands where the Jewish Requirement WW1 center existed)

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

This is the Darien Chest, in which all the documents regarding the Scottish colonisation of the Americas were kept.

You never heard of this (I sure didn't)? At the end of the 17th century, Scotland was in a bad shape, as its economy was small and had no means of protecting itself against English politics. England (which was linked to Scotland via a personal union, i.e. the two nations shared the same monarch) exerted a great deal of economic power over its smaller neighbour, much to the dismay of the traditional Scottish elites. As a series of crop failures added to the crisis, calls for a custom union or even a merging with England were answered by the Scottish governement with a new idea: what if Scotland could gain a colonial foothold in the Americas? Smallish states like Portugal or the Netherlands were gaining vast riches out of their colonies, why not add Scotland to that list? In 1695, the "Company of Scotland Trading to Africa and the Indies" was created by an act of parliament with the monopoly on all Scottish tradewith India, Africa and the Americas. The company was plagued by many problems from the very beginning; the English East India Company immediately tried to kill off its competitor by forcing English and Dutch (the Netherlands were linked to England/Scotland by a personal union as well at that time) investors to withdraw. Investors outside of the territories ruled by King William III had to be refunded after the English threatened to sue, as the Company of Scotland hadn't managed to get official royal support for fundraising outside of William's realms. This meant that all of the Company's money had to come from Scotland itself. Finally, the executive board was divided by different business interests, namely whether to invest in the East Indies or the Americas.

Who was behind this enterprise? The main proponent was Sir William Paterson (1658-1719), a Scottish banker who as a young adult had spent some time in the Americas where he first got the idea of a Scottish colony in Central America. After his return to Europe, he became one of the founders of the Bank of England, returned to Scotland in 1695 and managed to convince the Scottish Lord High Commissioner (i.e. the direct representative of the king in the Scottish parliament) to support his ideas in parliament. He dreamed of a Scottish-controlled trade hub in the Guld of Darién, east of the isthmus of Panama and described to his investors in great detail that no, Darién wasn't claimed by the Spanish, the ground was fertile, the climate great and the sea full of edible turtles. Within a short time, the Company managed to gather the sum of 400,000 pounds, all from Scotland. That constituted roughly a fifth of the total wealth of Scotland, so the entire thing was a huge risk by both the Scottish elites and the government.

The entire scheme proved to be a massive failure. In 1698, the first expedition set sail towards the Americas, with about 1,200 people on five ships. The fact that they had to go from the Scottish east coast in Leith and to keep their passengers below deck so as to not draw the attention of English warships (which couldn't be trusted to let the expedition pass, owing to the influence of the English East India Company) should in hindsight have been the first massive warning sign to all participants that the whole thing was doomed to fail. Paterson himself was part of the expedition, alongside with his wife and his infant son. In October the ships arrived in the Caribbean, claiming an uninhabited island between Puerto Rico and St Thomas for the Scottish Crown, only to be told shortly afterwards by an English officer that the island already belonged to Denmark and that they should gently caress off pronto. Under the guidance of a pirate Paterson had known since his days in the Americas, the settlers continued towards Darién.

On November 2nd, the ships reached their destination and made first contact with the resident natives, which were very glad to see Europeans that weren't Spanish agents. The settlers constructed a fort towering over their harbour, christening it "Fort St Andrew". On the other side of the mountain they started "New Edinburgh", the actual settlement. And from then on, absolutely everything went horribly wrong. Paterson secretary succumbed to dysentery on the very day of their arrival, his wife and child following shortly afterwards. Near permanent rain made agriculture next to impossible, the natives showed no interest in the trinkets and goods brought by the settlers (and therefore wouldn't trade food with them outside of a small stream of more or less regular gifts). It turned out that almost no sailors were passing the area, and the few that were didn't purchase anything. Most of the food the settlers had brought with them had rotted due to improper stewing. The following ship that was supposed to deliver additional supplies already sank in Scottish waters.

During the following summer, the mortality rate rose on some days to ten people a day. Most hadn't even enough strength left to go turtle hunting, so booze was pretty much everything that was left and hadn't gotten spoiled yet. The remaining settlers were drunk off their rear end most of the time, as they watched as their numbers dwindled more and more. Meanwhile, King William had issued an edict explicitly forbidding any support of the colony - England was at war with France at the time and didn't want to anger its ally Spain. Still, letters sent home by the setters described New Caledonia as something of a paradise and claimed that everything was going according to plan. They probably knew that the financial security of the entire nation was at stake, or were they simply too proud to concede defeat? I don't know. When a small detachment of Spanish soldiers entered the area and attacked the fort, the remaining settlers finally had enough, though: after eight months of horror, the survivors left the colony hurriedly. Six people who had been too weak to move had to remain in the settlement, slowly starving there. Only one ship arrived back in Glasgow on November 21, 1699. Only 300 people had survived the whole ordeal.

The flag of the Company

The positive letters the first expedition kept sending had a horrible consequence though, as during the autumn of 1699, a second group of about 1000 settlers set sail towards Darién, arriving there on November 30. Amazingly, they managed to find a small number of survivors from the first wave there, including a certain Thomas Drummond, who had accompanied the first expedition as a military advisor and was guilty of participating in the Massacre of Glencoe as well, in which 78 civilians were slaughtered following the Glorious Revolution. Drummond insisted that the fort had to be rebuilt immediately, as the Spanish could return any day now. The second settlers were very annoyed by that, seeing that they hadn't expected to arrive in a fever-ridden hellhole but a thriving little colony. Dummond was finally arrested, with the self-proclaimed leader of the new settlement James Byes becoming highly paranoid, throwing everybody into the surrounding jungles that caught his mistrust. Byres eventually left the settlement in a small boat, and the remaining settlers became apathetic and helpless. A small spark of hope was ignited again, as new faces of the Company arrived, most prominently Alexander Campbell of Fonab. Campbell had the order to organise the settlement's defences and proved to be surprisingly competent. He realised that the only hope of surviving against the Spanish forces was by taking them by surprise, and so he set out to attack the nearby Spanish stockade of Toubacanti in January 1700. The daring operation was successful, and the Spanish fled - Campbell himself was wounded, however, and consequently incapacitated by fever. Without him, all remnants of leadership were pretty much lost, and so it was no surprise when the Spanish managed to return with a larger force soon afterwards, laying siege to the fort for a month. The settlers only surrendered after the Spanish commander threatened to burn down the entire fort and were forced to sail home again. Of a total of maybe 2,500 settlers, only a couple hundred survived.

What were the consequences of this scheme (besides all the deaths)? After the whole thing had come crashing down, Scotland (and most of its elite) was pretty much bankrupt. Especially in the Lowlands, almost every family had lost some money. There was another desperate attempt by the Company to gain a foothold in the overseas trade, and I'll just quote wikipedia here because this is just an amazing last note to the whole disaster:

quote:

Hoping to recoup some capital by a more conventional venture, the company sent two ships from the Clyde, the Speedy Return and the Continent, to the Guinea coast laden with trade goods. Sea captain Robert Drummond was the master of the Speedy Return; his brother Thomas, who had played such a part in the second expedition, was supercargo on the vessel. Neither ship was seen in Scotland again. Instead of seeking to sell for gold as the company's directors intended, the Drummonds exchanged the goods for slaves which they sold in Madagascar. Carousing with the buccaneers for whom the island was a refuge, the Drummonds fell in with the pirate John Bowen of Bermuda who offered loot if they lent the Scots ships to him for a raid on homeward bound Indiamen. Robert Drummond was initially persuaded but backed out of the agreement, only for Bowen to appropriate the ships while he was ashore. The Continent was lost to fire on the Malabar coast and Bowen scuttled the Speedy Return after transferring to a merchant ship he had taken. The Drummonds decided against returning to Scotland to explain the loss of the ships they had been entrusted with, and no more was heard of the brothers.

The political consequences were even more drastic. Yet another attempt of the Company went awry when the Annandale was sent towards the East Indies where it should enter the spice trade. It was seized almost immediately by the English, however, which in turn caused a huge uproar in Scotland with three innocent English sailors being scapegoated and hanged. The Company never managed to gather the funds for another try, though, and many Scottish nobles had to face the dire reality of bankruptcy. The English government agreed to stabilise the Scottish Pound, and hinted at a possible recompensation for the losses as long as Scotland would agree to a political union. They got what they wanted: in 1707, the Act of Union between England and Scotland was signed into law, and the disaster of Scotland's first and only colonial enterprise played no small part in it.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

There was a documentary a couple of months ago about it on BBC but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it, otherwise I would post it. :(

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

From the horrid Facebook group "Patriot Ordnance Friday". One of the comments on the image is "An armed society is a polite society. Period". But we're not racist guys honest

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

ozza posted:

From the horrid Facebook group "Patriot Ordnance Friday". One of the comments on the image is "An armed society is a polite society. Period". But we're not racist guys honest
Got it: ↑ Hispanics = ↓ Violence

Bueno

--

Obesity rates:

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
You know who else Loves New York? THAT'S RIGHT.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/jewish-leaders-glenn-beck-apology-comparing-bloomberg-hitler/story?id=19119684#.UYmPqdzrz1s

Edit: It's cool guys - It was supposed to be Lenin

quote:

Editor's note: This story has been updated to reflect that a source close to Glenn Beck told ABC News after the story was initially published that the image that appeared during his NRA speech was based on a famous photo of Vladimir Lenin and was not a Nazi reference. Beck could not be reached for comment before the story was first published.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
The Trib got a real genius letter to the editor today:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Sex Hobbit posted:

The Trib got a real genius letter to the editor today:

Of course he's from the loving suburbs, too. I think Chicago's suburbs are almost worse than Milwaukee's.

• Locked thread