Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ferrari 250 GTO by Phanatic, on Flickr

I really want to know how this guy made his money. Guy's a retired Philadelphia neurosurgeon, and this is basically his own museum, it's not quite like getting to walk around Jay Leno's garage but it's pretty staggering. Some stuff's donated or on loan but he himself personally owns a ridiculous number of amazing cars. And I know neurosurgeons make a decent living, but this guy has gently caress-you money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Ruh-roh, GM has been seen doing preliminary benchmarking of the next ZR1.

Wanna see the skidpad numbers on that Sienna.

I also had one of those visible engine kits as a kid, a V8. Never actually got it together, though. My first failed project.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Nothing to see here.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 8, 2013

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Found this in Port St. Lucie, December 1985:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
^^^The Boaterhome

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 8, 2013

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Phanatic posted:

Ferrari 250 GTO by Phanatic, on Flickr

I really want to know how this guy made his money. Guy's a retired Philadelphia neurosurgeon, and this is basically his own museum, it's not quite like getting to walk around Jay Leno's garage but it's pretty staggering. Some stuff's donated or on loan but he himself personally owns a ridiculous number of amazing cars. And I know neurosurgeons make a decent living, but this guy has gently caress-you money.

Is that the same guy that bought the Missing Daytona? I could not imagine opening a storage unit and seeing this:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Seen on the streets of San Francisco

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

PainterofCrap posted:

Found this in Port St. Lucie, December 1985:

It's a BOATERHOME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRGFdmj2fOo

Anyway

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Friend on facebook is trying to ID this car, I've seen AI do more with worse so anyone got any ideas?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Looks like a Ferrari 365 GT 2+2.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Rear end reminds me of a 250 berlinetta but then the front is sorta swb looking.

But now I look at it more, the details don't really line up. Just what it reminds me of.

E: Or a 330? But they didn't have bonnet vents?

Bape Culture fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 8, 2013

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
250GT?

E: more specifically the 250 GT SWB Berlinetta ? The grill looks too short and wide though.
D'oh didn't notice Zlatan Imhobitch's swb mention.

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 8, 2013

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012
IF I CONTINUE TO WHINE ABOUT THE PROBATIONS I RECEIVE, REPORT THIS POST SO THAT I CAN BE PROBATED AGAIN

FFStudios posted:

The first Spring with my first car. Just gave it a nice wash and now it's looking sleek. I always told my friends it had great acceleration for a 4-cylinder...then I found out I was an idiot and it's actually a 3.5-liter V6, 255hp. Not bad at all.

To me, this is awesome AI car poo poo because it's my own car and I'm excited :buddy:

If that's your first car and you didn't even know it was a v6, i think that qualifies as 'you got pretty lucky'. That's a fairly enthusiast-y family sedan among 10y/o family sedans. It's one of the few 'normal' cars from back then that hasnt been blown completely out of the water by new 'normal' cars with 300hp v6 options.

Nothing personal, just so you know, but for guys like me who are pretty pleased with themselves when they triple the power of old family cars to 200 something, it kind of sucks to have some kid running next to you on the highway with a stock maxima that he thinks is a 4 cyl. The amount of power in family sedans today is slightly aggravating to older-car lovers. lol

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
a cool dad

MR2 by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

LS12?!

Callaway V16 :smug:

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 8, 2013

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Vigo327 posted:

If that's your first car and you didn't even know it was a v6, i think that qualifies as 'you got pretty lucky'. That's a fairly enthusiast-y family sedan among 10y/o family sedans. It's one of the few 'normal' cars from back then that hasnt been blown completely out of the water by new 'normal' cars with 300hp v6 options.

Nothing personal, just so you know, but for guys like me who are pretty pleased with themselves when they triple the power of old family cars to 200 something, it kind of sucks to have some kid running next to you on the highway with a stock maxima that he thinks is a 4 cyl. The amount of power in family sedans today is slightly aggravating to older-car lovers. lol

Seriously. I was driving a hand-me-down 1994 Honda Accord with 145hp and thought my mother's 1997 V6 Accord with 170hp was a rocket ship. And I was lucky as hell getting a 4 year old car with 115k miles on it when I was 17.

For content, some friends are running their '92 Galant VR4 in One Lap which is going on right now. This is from the skidpad a couple days ago:

BoostCreep fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 8, 2013

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands

2LS1X.75

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Moving pictures are awesome.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Twice as nice.

Ten times as nice, with bonus "have at it, boys."

http://vimeo.com/65618292

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

PTSD Mater. He's seen some poo poo.

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

PTSD Mater. He's seen some poo poo.

Did you take this picture? If yes, where were you at?

There's something very very similar where I'm from, right off the highway.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Race Morning

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

RuPaul Levesque posted:

Nope, stole it off of Jalopnik, I have no idea where it was taken.

Just like these, unfortunately. I would love to know more about these two.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

RuPaul Levesque posted:

They are a ton of them out there. Some are drat perfect and others are borderline nightmare fuel.

:stonk:

I think this one is amazing. A "real" Mater.

But since this the AWESOME THREAD, let's end with.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

So much love. I miss my 1st Gen CRX. Exact same color pattern, too. It was a hilariously fun first car.

related pic because I'm not sure if the MEGA RULE is still in effect/Iowncalculus scares me :ohdear:

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

This is sitting at an antique dealer south of Minneapolis:

He has another Hornet painted up like a police car as well.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
I've only seen on "Doc" that was a two-door, but four-door versions seem pretty common. This guy was at our big show last summer.

edit: I guess I can't find pictures of him, but there was a little kid there who wouldn't stop hugging him and talking to him. :3:

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 9, 2013

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Little known fact, Smokey Yunick got his start in NASCAR when Marshall Teague invited him to join up as a mechanic. Smokey oversaw the Hudson racing effort, and Herb Thomas won the 1951 championship driving a Hudson.

That's the Herb Thomas car that won the 1953 championship, in 1953 he won 12 races and became NASCAR's first two-time champion. Teague ran only limited stock car races, NASCAR or otherwise, and with Smokey prepping the cars he won 27 of 34 races entered.

The Hornet was a dominant race car.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

VikingSkull posted:

The Hornet was a dominant race car.
It always feels like there was less... Optimisation back then. You were more tied into the strengths/weaknesses of the basic car, rather than "silhouette on a tube chassis" of many modern racers. Of course, a car that's strong in one area against a car that's strong in another means you get ridiculous things like Mini Coopers vs Ford Galaxies at the Goodwood period races:

Speaking of Galaxies, these guys are using one for desert racing:

http://torcoracefuel.net/5-team-torco/triple-nickel-racing.html
http://triplenickelrestoracefab.com/

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

This is awesome. Have another awesome desert racecar:

I wish I could find a good video of it actually racing.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
There's always this:

James Garner's Baja Oldsmobile

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I think OKAs are pretty awesome.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

sinistarded posted:

That's awesome and I think I've found a new way to familiarize myself with how engines actually work.

I'm going to head to my local hobby shop and try to find one of those, or equivalent, as I don't think I can wait on shipping.

They're a little pricey now:
http://www.amazon.com/Minicraft-Models-Visible-Rotary-Engine/dp/B0006O90U6
http://www.amazon.com/Minicraft-Models-Visible-Rotary-Engine/dp/B0006O90U6

I don't think I paid over $30 for mine, but that WAS almost 15(!) years ago.
Pretty neat, though. There's a motor and betteries in the transmission, activated by the shifter. The rotors turn, the spark plugs spark, and the fan belt runs the cooling fan/water pump and alternator. It's also an early twin-dizzy Wankel.
The two halves bolt together, but the oil pan is glued. I decided to use #1 hex-head bolts to attach the pan so I can take it back apart if anything ever jams or breaks.

That same kit was put out by Entex and Minicraft. The one in your picture is Entex.
Get this one on eBay. It appears to be new old stock, still in shrinkwrap, currently at $19.99 with no bids ($8.50 SH):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENTEX-1-5-S...=item48550bd67c

I also have a Ford 2.3L turbo visible engine I never finished. Somehow I got the timing belt pulley askew and the timing belt keeps slipping off.

Like this one:

(biggest pic I could find of this version)

Carbureted!

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007
Saw this the other day, and just thought it looked awesome. Forgot my old lust for a pair of TSW Hockenheims. Wonder if I could find a pair for a focus.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
I don't know if it's AI, but this is some awesome car poo poo:

Googley eyes make everything hilarious.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.
Saw this across the street from work today.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

My parents just got new neighbors.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
There had better be a black Toyota pickup behind that other door.