Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Kerfuffle posted:

How much room in the car do you have to work with?

The front passenger seat. The rest of the car will be packed with protein powder and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Shine posted:

The front passenger seat. The rest of the car will be packed with fruity pebbles and shelf-stable chocolate milk

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Shine posted:

The front passenger seat. The rest of the car will be packed with chickencheese and my biceps.

My cats really like the cat(oat)grass. Is this an issue?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Just make the cat drive.

In other news: Coram goes in for her first visit back to the ASPCA tomorrow, postoperative check up. I'm hoping for great news and a "Wow, she looks great!" :3:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

toplitzin posted:

My cats really like the cat(oat)grass. Is this an issue?

I can't tell if this is about catnip or marijuana or breakfast :psyduck:.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy
Cats are assholes at travel. Just put the cat in a carrier and go. She will probably refuse to eat, will decide that hotel rooms are full of murder traps, and will wait until you're 45 miles from the next rest stop to barf. Take a small litter box for stopping at night. If you think she needs it, you can stop along the way and let her out of the carrier to use it, but she probably won't. If there's a food she likes more than every other food, bring that, because she MIGHT eat it.

Oh, and when you get to where you're going, she'll hate that too.

Take some wet wipes or paper towels/cleaner just in case. 10 days is a long time.

Make sure she's got a blanket or towel in the carrier. Make sure she stays cool, a carrier is going to have reduced air flow. And as much as she wants to, don't let her wander around the inside of the car because she will either try to climb underneath the brake pedal or she'll wedge herself into a spot you had no idea a cat could fit into and you'll spend half an hour in a dark parking lot trying to fish her out.

I own a very chill cat. Not much phases him. But he still hates to travel.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
So today I got a new job (hooray!) but this means I'm going to have to move very quickly to a new apartment (nooo...). Is moving a cat to a new home pretty similar to taking her home from the shelter? Will she be more comfortable, since she likes my husband and I, and we have things that smell like her? She was just so afraid for so long, I'm kind of concerned.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

uberwekkness posted:

So today I got a new job (hooray!) but this means I'm going to have to move very quickly to a new apartment (nooo...). Is moving a cat to a new home pretty similar to taking her home from the shelter? Will she be more comfortable, since she likes my husband and I, and we have things that smell like her? She was just so afraid for so long, I'm kind of concerned.

She might be upset by the commotion and hide for a little while, but I found the best thing to do was move cat and her food and box into the bathroom or spare room while the move is going on. That way she knows she has her things, and that gives her a chance to calm down while you get some familiar things (furniture, cat tree, etc) set up. When you let her out she might skulk around and find some place to hide for a while, but she'll start exploring soon and be fine in a day or two at the most.

Nothing like, say, bringing home a new girl from the shelter and having her hide under a dresser for 5 days.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Nione posted:

Make sure she's got a blanket or towel in the carrier. Make sure she stays cool, a carrier is going to have reduced air flow. And as much as she wants to, don't let her wander around the inside of the car because she will either try to climb underneath the brake pedal or she'll wedge herself into a spot you had no idea a cat could fit into and you'll spend half an hour in a dark parking lot trying to fish her out.
All of this, the blanket can be a big deal in helping her relax. You could try using some Feliway spray as well in the carrier to see if that'll help.

When I first had my own cat back in college, I did have a loose cat in the car (her "carrier" was more or less just her hooded litter box)when driving to and from home on weekends, and I was lucky enough to have a cat that was pretty chill about it. She just hung out under that space behind the back seat and below the back windshield most of the time, though I did have one time where she slipped under the pedals and yes this is a bad thing.

If your cat is chill about flying, I'd think that driving should be fine.

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

What's that there, then? Oh.
OK, it turns out I currently have a new kitten. I've been feeding a bunch of strays forever, and only a couple will come to me even after months, but this one wandered into my house when I opened the door to put some foods out. I'd only been feeding her for a couple of weeks. I didn't even realise she was a she at first because I've only had boy cats for the past 20 years and obviously I needed to give her time to calm down before I scrutinised her butt properly.

My mum told me, before I caught her, that our local pet shop/dog groomer had had loads of enquiries for kittens that week (they don't sell animals and are experienced cat owners - they offer to do home visit and everything). I caught her only about 3 days later and called my mum: all of the potential homes had got kittens from other places.

Anyhoo, she's been living with me for nearly two weeks now - only last week, however, I had a strong suspicion she was up the duff. She went to the vet yesterday to have her gravid spay which is :( but necessary. She seems to be doing well. The vet said she is hale and hearty and I caught the pregnancy early on.

Her name is Honeybee and she's a lovely - except only to me at the moment. Nobody's been to visit me for ages because right after I caught her I got the terrible lurgy, which is why this picture is kind of crap and blurry.

She doesn't normally look like a Louis Wain cat; she's very purry and loving. She still won't let me pick her up though. It's like trying to pick up a ball of furry jelly. I'll give her some time.

And her poops could be used in chemical warfare. She has a little bald tummy and I still have the lurgy (this post probably sounds a bit nuts).

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Nione posted:

Cats are assholes at travel. Just put the cat in a carrier and go. She will probably refuse to eat, will decide that hotel rooms are full of murder traps, and will wait until you're 45 miles from the next rest stop to barf. Take a small litter box for stopping at night. If you think she needs it, you can stop along the way and let her out of the carrier to use it, but she probably won't. If there's a food she likes more than every other food, bring that, because she MIGHT eat it.

Oh, and when you get to where you're going, she'll hate that too.

Take some wet wipes or paper towels/cleaner just in case. 10 days is a long time.

I own a very chill cat. Not much phases him. But he still hates to travel.

This and also

You're going to need to plan your route to have pet-friendly hotels. A lot of hotel chains are pet-friendly now so hopefully it'll be doable.

Instead of a cat carrier, get her a small crate like one of these and it'll fit just fine in the passenger seat. She'll be able to see more and get more airflow which will be infinitely better. You can also put a pet bed or some old towels in there, but of course there's a good chance you're going to have to clean barf off of it. She probably won't eat or drink while traveling but she absolutely must do so while you're stopped for the night, for example.

If she'll tolerate a leash/harness, it might be a good way to let her walk around a bit at rest stops.

SKRILLEX
Dec 16, 2011
My boyfriend's got three cats, one of whom (Shadow) is having some problems. Shadow is kind of gross to begin with (teary/drippy eyes, loud, wheezy breathing problems, and she's extremely out-of-shape and overweight [she can't turn very far to clean or scratch any parts of herself besides what's in front of her, mostly]) and now she's taken to hanging out/sleeping in the (covered) litter box. At any time (even if there are unscooped poops in it). At first it seemed like she'd run in there for cover/safety, if she were suddenly frightened (or like how cats normally jump into regular boxes and just sit there)...now in the past week or so (this whole ordeal has been going on about a month), she sneaks in there whenever you aren't looking. We generally have to go over to the box and take the lid off before she realizes we want her to get out (entering and leaving the litter box is literally the extent of her daily physical activity).

Another cat, Udon, has that attitude about the litter box, where, if it's not clean to her standards or (more recently) obstructed, she'll poo or pee elsewhere so something is done about it. This happens rarely, maybe twice in the past two years. So today, when Shadow was camped out in the litter box, I woke up to the disgusting sound of Udon leaving the nastiest diarrhea mess all over the floor, base of their carpeted scratch-post/play thing, and even inside the circular part of the play thing (which is a foot off the ground, so I have no idea where she started/ended her poop stream)... and she was just sitting inside of the circular thing, next to the mess. It was like cleaning up a newborn's diaper.. sans diaper. I am attributing this "accident" to the fact that Udon probably could not get into the litter box.

So, what's Shadow's problem? Is she just content being disgusting? My boyfriend said he'll take her to the vet once he gets paid. Is this going to be something the vet can sort out? It's awfully disgusting and needs to stop.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Anxiety, depression, and/or illness, if I've learned anything from watching Cat From Hell. Especially since it sounded like she started going in there out of fear, and eventually took it up as a refuge. Think about it this way: what would drive you to hang in a port-a-john? Fear for your life?

What was causing her to run in there for refuge before?

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.
Supposing ~hypothetically~ you had an aggressive cat who has scratched and bitten dozens of people and who recently attacked you so badly and viciously you lost over half a pint of blood and ended up in the ER with like 35 bite wounds (and a subsequent infection because ew cat teeth). You are the second person the cat has attacked in that way (unprovoked, literally running across the room to jump up on the victim like a hideous tasmanian devil, screaming/slashing/biting etc). Thorough vet check shows no obvious medical reasons for the behaviour.

Would you euth instantly or would you try to work with a behaviourist to see if you can do something?

(Not my cat, a family member's cat.)

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

^^^^I would have violent murder kitty put to sleep.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

This and also

You're going to need to plan your route to have pet-friendly hotels. A lot of hotel chains are pet-friendly now so hopefully it'll be doable.

Instead of a cat carrier, get her a small crate like one of these and it'll fit just fine in the passenger seat. She'll be able to see more and get more airflow which will be infinitely better. You can also put a pet bed or some old towels in there, but of course there's a good chance you're going to have to clean barf off of it. She probably won't eat or drink while traveling but she absolutely must do so while you're stopped for the night, for example.

If she'll tolerate a leash/harness, it might be a good way to let her walk around a bit at rest stops.

Hotels are set. I'll grab a crate. Other stuff other stuff other stuff. Thanks!

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

notsowelp posted:

Supposing ~hypothetically~ you had an aggressive cat who has scratched and bitten dozens of people and who recently attacked you so badly and viciously you lost over half a pint of blood and ended up in the ER with like 35 bite wounds (and a subsequent infection because ew cat teeth). You are the second person the cat has attacked in that way (unprovoked, literally running across the room to jump up on the victim like a hideous tasmanian devil, screaming/slashing/biting etc). Thorough vet check shows no obvious medical reasons for the behaviour.

Would you euth instantly or would you try to work with a behaviourist to see if you can do something?

If an owner requested it, I would have no problem euthanizing that type of cat. Just curious--is this aggression a new thing?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

notsowelp posted:

I'd euth.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

notsowelp posted:

The aggression has to be coming from somewhere. I'd guess anxiety. While they could probably try to work with a behaviorist, there may not be a good solution and a life where the cat is so uncomfortable and afraid in it's environment that it resorts to attacks like that is probably pretty miserable. Not to mention if the cat attacks the behaviorist, who is liable? The cat sounds like it has a lovely quality of life (I mean, I'm sure it's being provided for and loved, but probably has crippling anxiety or dementia) and it's a safety issue. It's probably time to put the cat to sleep.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

notsowelp posted:

How old is this cat and how regular is this behavior?

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

notsowelp posted:

I'd have euthed after the first attack. If an animal puts someone in the ER for no reason in a manner that was not accidental, there is no way I'd even be trying to "fix" that.

Reminds me of my boyfriend's grandmother's little dog. He had bitten several people, but they finally had him PTS after he savaged her arm in the middle of the night while she was sleeping, completely unprovoked. It was years overdue to have him euthed. He had no reason to harm anyone, let alone the only person he actually liked. He lived a quiet life with his little old lady alone in their home with no other people or animals. He was just a little shitbag who probably had some kind of issue or imbalance.

Xanthine
Nov 8, 2008

cat gender is a social construct

SKRILLEX posted:

My boyfriend's got three cats, one of whom (Shadow) is having some problems. Shadow is kind of gross to begin with (teary/drippy eyes, loud, wheezy breathing problems, and she's extremely out-of-shape and overweight [she can't turn very far to clean or scratch any parts of herself besides what's in front of her, mostly]) and now she's taken to hanging out/sleeping in the (covered) litter box. At any time (even if there are unscooped poops in it). At first it seemed like she'd run in there for cover/safety, if she were suddenly frightened (or like how cats normally jump into regular boxes and just sit there)...now in the past week or so (this whole ordeal has been going on about a month), she sneaks in there whenever you aren't looking. We generally have to go over to the box and take the lid off before she realizes we want her to get out (entering and leaving the litter box is literally the extent of her daily physical activity).

Another cat, Udon, has that attitude about the litter box, where, if it's not clean to her standards or (more recently) obstructed, she'll poo or pee elsewhere so something is done about it. This happens rarely, maybe twice in the past two years. So today, when Shadow was camped out in the litter box, I woke up to the disgusting sound of Udon leaving the nastiest diarrhea mess all over the floor, base of their carpeted scratch-post/play thing, and even inside the circular part of the play thing (which is a foot off the ground, so I have no idea where she started/ended her poop stream)... and she was just sitting inside of the circular thing, next to the mess. It was like cleaning up a newborn's diaper.. sans diaper. I am attributing this "accident" to the fact that Udon probably could not get into the litter box.

So, what's Shadow's problem? Is she just content being disgusting? My boyfriend said he'll take her to the vet once he gets paid. Is this going to be something the vet can sort out? It's awfully disgusting and needs to stop.
Until you figure out what the anxiety issue is that is causing her to camp out in the litter box, he should probably get another litter box or two so that an accident doesn't happen again.

Also, maybe you could get him to make some sort of covered refuge with a box or something, or one of those pre-made cat houses and put a worn shirt in that smells like your bf and see if she will hide in that instead.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Hey cat thread, have some bottle baby kittens:

Messy little punks.

ISUCHARESLOLO
Dec 10, 2005

The verb "to google" has come to mean "to perform a Web search", usually with the Google search engine.
How difficult is it to get a cat to wear a harness? Is there a particular brand of choice?

I've looked online and found a few different harnesses, but most have mixed reviews.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

ISUCHARESLOLO posted:

How difficult is it to get a cat to wear a harness? Is there a particular brand of choice?

I've looked online and found a few different harnesses, but most have mixed reviews.

It really depends on the cat but most can be made to get used to it. Vests are better than harnesses, and you want to make sure they're quite snug. Happy exploring! (or grass-eating or whatever it is your cat wants to do outside)

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW-DIPVDpYM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Finally got a good recording of my two cats playing where you can hear the noises that Grey makes throughout. About a minute in, you can see Loki yanked out hair (this still happens quite a bit). Two minutes in you can see his low blows, which is when Grey makes the worst noises. The noises are just constant when they are playing though.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

ISUCHARESLOLO posted:

It's actually not that difficult at all. Put the harness on the cat for short periods of time on a regular basis and soon your cat won't even notice it's wearing the harness. (e - I SHOULD mention, however, that one of my 3 cats absolutely refuses to even stand up with a harness on, no matter what, but she's kind of like that. The other two don't mind it at all, so it does depend somewhat on the cat.)

We use a "walking jacket", because I think it's more secure and comfortable for the cat. They're a little pricy, but I think it's worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfqairxDKRo

Here's a video of Iggy when he was about a year old learning to wear it. We'd put it on and then get out his favorite toy, he never even noticed he was wearing it. Now we can take him outside on walks and take him to the vet in it and he walks just like a dog, although it is significantly more difficult to get him to walk where you want him to.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

So, a little bit of a strange question, but lately my yellow cat has been (it looks like) mounting my gray cat, and I'm not sure what's up... They'll wrestle like they normally do, but then the yellow cat will then start these really guttural meows and stand with his feet on either side of our gray kitty and bit down on the gray kitty's scruff. The gray cat seems super nonplussed and unaffected by the whole thing (so unaffected, if he yawned, it wouldn't surprise me), but the yellow one will just keep doing this guttural meow and biting down. At first I just assumed it was a dominance play, as it happened maybe once a week in the living room only, but it's starting to becoming more and more frequent and in multiple rooms. It might be my imagination, but i also feel like it's getting more rough. Both cats are male from the same litter and neutered at 5 months, if that information helps any. Does anyone know what's going on and if I should be concerned? :ohdear:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Niemat posted:

So, a little bit of a strange question, but lately my yellow cat has been (it looks like) mounting my gray cat, and I'm not sure what's up... They'll wrestle like they normally do, but then the yellow cat will then start these really guttural meows and stand with his feet on either side of our gray kitty and bit down on the gray kitty's scruff. The gray cat seems super nonplussed and unaffected by the whole thing (so unaffected, if he yawned, it wouldn't surprise me), but the yellow one will just keep doing this guttural meow and biting down. At first I just assumed it was a dominance play, as it happened maybe once a week in the living room only, but it's starting to becoming more and more frequent and in multiple rooms. It might be my imagination, but i also feel like it's getting more rough. Both cats are male from the same litter and neutered at 5 months, if that information helps any. Does anyone know what's going on and if I should be concerned? :ohdear:

Yeah he's trying to sex up his brother. It's sort of a dominance thing but the meows in my experience make it um a little more sincere, I think. My orange cat does this to my grey cat, too. Maybe those orangey cats are pervs, who knows? Anyway, it's gross but not a problem. The grey one will give him what for, if he doesn't want him to do it. Luna usually rolls over because she thinks they're wrestling :downs:

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Yeah he's trying to sex up his brother. It's sort of a dominance thing but the meows in my experience make it um a little more sincere, I think. My orange cat does this to my grey cat, too. Maybe those orangey cats are pervs, who knows? Anyway, it's gross but not a problem. The grey one will give him what for, if he doesn't want him to do it. Luna usually rolls over because she thinks they're wrestling :downs:

Is there, uh, a more positive outlet I can redirect him to...? Or is it just a part of how they establish dominance, and I shouldn't interrupt? I know in dogs it's what they do, but I had never seen/heard of it in cats... Which isn't me claiming to be a cat expert--merely sharing I'm woefully under-informed in this area. :saddowns:

Follow up stupid question: when does it become a problem where I should see someone about it? Does it indicate any problems with his neutering?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Niemat posted:

Is there, uh, a more positive outlet I can redirect him to...? Or is it just a part of how they establish dominance, and I shouldn't interrupt? I know in dogs it's what they do, but I had never seen/heard of it in cats... Which isn't me claiming to be a cat expert--merely sharing I'm woefully under-informed in this area. :saddowns:

Follow up stupid question: when does it become a problem where I should see someone about it? Does it indicate any problems with his neutering?

I got Toby a stuffed animal of his own to keep him off my stuffed animals, but he never did this to other cats before I had Luna (he's also never been even close to being 'top cat' before). I haven't tried redirecting him to his teddy bear when he's bothering Luna because she usually wanders off fairly quickly. I think it does help though. Is there a blanket or pillow or something that has a particular texture he likes? Aim to get him something similar if you want to try that.

It's not a problem until it's a problem for the bottom dude, and he'll slap his brother in the face if he's annoyed. I know it's gross but animals, man.

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

Our cat, Chloe, who used to be a very polite grazer, has suddenly become a glutton who eats her entire bowl of food until she barfs. I have no idea how to fix this, but I have some ideas on what may be contributing to it:

• We've moved twice in the last two years.
  • We recently had an ant invasion at our new house and they were specifically coming after the cat food. Her bowl was swarmed, and Chloe was REALLY upset over this!
  • We recently switched her food from Solid Gold Katz-n-Flocken to Solid Gold Indigo Moon because I read that the former was much better for her.
  • The cat next door is a fat pig glutton. Chloe will visibly listen to her through the door begging for food, and then go over to her own bowl and promptly scarf the entire thing down and then turn to us and mimic the exact same begging for food she heard next door.

Previous to this, Chloe was quite a polite little lady. We could leave out her daily bowl of food and when she was hungry she'd go over and eat only a few pieces. She would make her food last for the entire day; even across multiple days if we were going out of town overnight and had left her extra. Now all of a sudden it's a complete shift to outright gluttony. All of the food in her bowl is eaten within 30 minutes, if not in one sitting. A few minutes later she'll barf up the entire thing - some pieces partially digested, others look almost good as new, like she never even chewed them.

We've already tried rationing her food. She only gets 3/4 of a cup per day (vets orders), and we've cut it back to half that in the morning and the rest in the evening. This only seemed to make the problem worse - she sees the smaller amount and just DEVOURS it in one sitting assuming it'll be her only food for the whole day. We never give her more food unless she immediately barfs it up, then we replace the portion that she lost.

Aside from all this, we have no clue what to do. She seems perfectly healthy otherwise. Her behavior is exactly the same as it's ever been aside from this, and she's using the litter box regularly for both poop and pee. She also drinks lots of water from her fountain, and that has not changed with the change in eating/barfing. We've already seen the vet once and they were confident that it was just "stress" and that cutting back on her servings would do the trick. It's not. Do you guys have any ideas?

Bonus Picture:

SunknLiner fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 9, 2013

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Haha if it's really the fourth reason on your list that's pretty hilarious, I'm sorry.

Options
  • Get her a bowl with lumps in it so she has to eat around them- takes longer, less likely to barf
  • Get an auto feeder that puts out a small amount of food every few hours
  • Get a ball-feeder type thing that she has to play with to get the food out

Links are just examples. There are loads of different versions of each. Also, this exists.

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Haha if it's really the fourth reason on your list that's pretty hilarious, I'm sorry.

Options
  • Get her a bowl with lumps in it so she has to eat around them- takes longer, less likely to barf
  • Get an auto feeder that puts out a small amount of food every few hours
  • Get a ball-feeder type thing that she has to play with to get the food out

Links are just examples. There are loads of different versions of each. Also, this exists.

Thanks for these! I think the ball feeder would end up stuck under furniture more often that not, thus defeating the purpose. The others look good though, and I'll give one a try. I had no idea they made ant-proof bowls though, so that's good to know. I laid down bait traps and they were all dead within a couple of days, so I think we're good there for now.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

SunknLiner posted:

Thanks for these! I think the ball feeder would end up stuck under furniture more often that not, thus defeating the purpose. The others look good though, and I'll give one a try. I had no idea they made ant-proof bowls though, so that's good to know. I laid down bait traps and they were all dead within a couple of days, so I think we're good there for now.

Yeah I figured the ant problem was over, but that happened to turn up while I was looking for examples for the other things so I thought I'd share it. Had no idea they made those either.

My own question: I'm moving in 3 weeks or so. We'll be going on a 4-5 hour car trip. Every time Luna rides in the car for about 15 min, she barfs. She's never been farther than 15-20 min away at a time. Would it make sense for me to maybe not feed them for 12 hours before, or something? I don't want her to have to sit in her own vomit for 4 and a half hours :( Also it smells. Opinions? It seems a bit much to get an antiemetic from the vet but I suppose that's an option.

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Yeah I figured the ant problem was over, but that happened to turn up while I was looking for examples for the other things so I thought I'd share it. Had no idea they made those either.

My own question: I'm moving in 3 weeks or so. We'll be going on a 4-5 hour car trip. Every time Luna rides in the car for about 15 min, she barfs. She's never been farther than 15-20 min away at a time. Would it make sense for me to maybe not feed them for 12 hours before, or something? I don't want her to have to sit in her own vomit for 4 and a half hours :( Also it smells. Opinions? It seems a bit much to get an antiemetic from the vet but I suppose that's an option.

I think fasting her for some time prior to the car trip is your best bet. Also, lay down some cheap towels in the bottom of the carrier; that way if she barfs you can easily pull over, remove the soiled towel and throw it away giving her a fresh and clean bed.

EDIT: Fasting also has the added benefit of ensuring no mid-trip bathroom disasters!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Also just be prepared to clean up some barf no matter what, it might be less gross without food, but a cat that wants to barf from nausea/anxiety will not be denied.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

Eggplant Wizard posted:

My childhood cat would barf in the car, we would line his carrier with puppy pee pads. Having something disposable means that you can pull over and throw it away, rather than having a towel full of hot barf in the car with you for the rest of the trip.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

demozthenes posted:

My childhood cat would barf in the car, we would line his carrier with puppy pee pads. Having something disposable means that you can pull over and throw it away, rather than having a towel full of hot barf in the car with you for the rest of the trip.

Do they let you buy pee pads in packs of less than like 20?

re: towel full of hot barf. Yeah I'd be using paper towels probably. I just realized that I could use their litter genie to hold anything until we get to a rest stop. Smell gone! I guess I will not give them breakfast that morning at least, which will hopefully reduce barfitude. I may also ask my vet if I can dose her with pepto as prevention. I am not crazy, my vet has had me use pepto on her before.

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

I've seen 5-packs at Target and Wal-Mart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy
Update on Iggy Hop:

The vet removed the catheter this morning. They reran the urinalysis twice since the initial one, once yesterday morning (because the vet was curious that the initial test didn't show crystals) and again this morning. They did find traces of struvite crystals, so he will need to be on a urinary diet.

They also reran the blood panels to check his kidney function and glucose levels. GOOD NEWS. He is not diabetic. The sugar in his urine is completely gone and his blood glucose is only slightly elevated now. It was, as many of you suggested in the nutrition thread, stress related. I am SO glad that he will not need to be on insulin.

He has a slightly elevated white blood cell count, so he'll be coming home with antibiotics as well as pain meds and something else. Fortunately, he's good at taking medicine.

He's also behaving a little better. Still being noisy and cranky as hell, but not trying to harm anyone. He even let them remove the catheter without having to knock him out. This is fantastic news as in the past, the vet couldn't even give him his vaccinations without having to put him under.

As soon as he pees on his own, he gets to come home! I'm hoping he does this today as we all really miss him and want him back. If not, then tomorrow. drat it, cat, PEE ALREADY!

Edit: Went and saw him tonight. He's not happy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJNIDAh2aVY

But then the vet's office called a few minutes ago and told me he peed! So he gets to come home tomorrow, which we are all really happy about.

Nione fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 10, 2013