Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Amused to Death posted:

Where are we getting 600 million? That's the current US population

Times two.

Usually the number I hear is 30 million, and realistically a good deal of those kids would've been born into poor families who couldn't support them well and since the people who rally against abortion are also the people who hate taxes and programs for the poor, there'd be no real support for them.

I have no clue where the number came from, honestly they probably just pulled it out of a hat because, as you and others have pointed out it makes absolutely no sense.

This was just overheard at work and not a conversation I wanted to get involved in that I brought here because I really had no idea how they could come to this conclusion and, to be perfectly honest, was hoping it wasn't a conclusion they'd come too themselves because I really, really want to pretend they were just parroting a meme. Because if this was the kind of thing they thought up on their own its just unbelievably ... cruel isn't quite the right word, but completely ignorant of the emotional and economic situations that a person making the choice to pursue an abortion would likely be experiencing.

It probably won't surprise anyone that this conversation took place with Rush (or was it Herman Cain) droning on in the background. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Well those aborted babies would have had babies and then those babies would have had babies etc...

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

FCKGW posted:

Well those aborted babies would have had babies and then those babies would have had babies etc...

And since, as every true patriot knows from listening to Margaret Sanger and her anti-American ramblings, that most of these children would have been of the black race who we know to have many more children than the average American.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Well... this is a thing from my Facebook feed which is usually pretty tame fare:

quote:

SUBJECT: Want A Free House? (My Mom Sent Me This)

IF YOU DO NOT READ ANY THING ELSE BE SURE TO TAKE THE TIME TO READ
THIS:

WANT A FREE HOUSE?

I was in my neighborhood restaurant this morning and was seated behind
a group of jubilant individuals celebrating the coming implementation
of the health care bill. I could not finish my breakfast. This is what
ensued: They were a diverse group of several races and both sexes. I
heard a young man exclaim, "Isn't Obama like Jesus Christ? I mean,
after all, he is healing the sick."

A young woman enthusiastically proclaimed, "Yeah, and he does it for
free. I cannot believe anyone would think that a free market wouldn't
work for health care."

Another said, "The stupid Republicans want us all to starve to death
so they can inherit all of the power. Obama should be made a Saint for
what he did for those of us less fortunate."

At this, I had more than enough. I arose from my seat, mustering all
the restraint I could find, and approached their table. "Please excuse
me; may I impose upon you for one moment?"

They smiled and welcomed me to the conversation. I stood at the end of
their table, smiled as best I could and began an experiment.

"I would like to give one of you my house. It will cost you no money
and I will pay all of the expenses and taxes for as long as you live
there. Anyone interested?"

They looked at each other in astonishment. "Why would you do something
like that?" asked a young man, "There isn't anything for free in this
world." They began to laugh at me, as they did not realize this man
had just made my point.

"I am serious, I will give you my house for free, no money whatsoever.
Anyone interested?"

In unison, a resounding "Yeah" fills the room.

"Since there are too many of you, I will have to make a choice as to
who receives this money-free bargain."

I noticed an elderly couple was paying attention to the spectacle
unfolding before their eyes, the old man shaking his head in apparent
disgust.

"I tell you what; I will give it to the one of you most willing to
obey my rules."

Again, they looked at one another, an expression of bewilderment on
their faces.

The perky young woman asked, "What are the rules?"

I smiled and said, "I don't know. I have not yet defined them.
However, it is a free home that I offer you."

They giggled amongst themselves, the youngest of which said, "What an
old coot. He must be crazy to give away his home. Go take your meds,
old man."

I smiled and leaned into the table a bit further. "I am serious, this
is a legitimate offer."

They gaped at me for a moment.

"I'll take it you old fool. Where are the keys?" boasted the youngest
among them.

"Then I presume you accept ALL of my terms then?" I asked.

The elderly couple seemed amused and entertained as they watched from
the privacy of their table. "Oh yeah! Where do I sign up?"

I took a napkin and wrote, "I give this man my home, without the
burden of financial obligation, so long as he accepts and abides by
the terms that I shall set forth upon consummation of this
transaction."

I signed it and handed it to the young man who eagerly scratched out
his signature.

"Where are the keys to my new house?" he asked in a mocking tone of
voice.

All eyes were upon us as I stepped back from the table, pulling the
keys from pocket and dangling them before the excited new homeowner.

"Now that we have entered into this binding contract, witnessed by all
of your friends, I have decided upon the conditions you are obligated
to adhere to from this point forward. You may only live in the house
for one hour a day. You will not use anything inside of the home. You
will obey me without question or resistance. I expect complete loyalty
and admiration for this gift I bestow upon you. You will accept my
commands and wishes with enthusiasm, no matter the nature. Your morals
and principles shall be as mine. You will vote as I do, think as I do
and do it with blind faith. These are my terms. Here are your keys." I
reached the keys forward and the young man looked at me dumbfounded.

"Are you out of your mind? Who would ever agree to those ridiculous
terms?" the young man appeared irritated.

"You did when you signed this contract before reading it,
understanding it and with the full knowledge that I would provide my
conditions only after you committed to the agreement."

The elderly man chuckled as his wife tried to restrain him. I was
looking at a now silenced and bewildered group of people.

"You can shove that stupid deal up your a** old man. I want no part of
it!" exclaimed the now infuriated young man.

'You have committed to the contract, as witnessed by all of your
friends. You cannot get out of the deal unless I agree to it. I do not
intend to let you free now that I have you ensnared. I am the power
you agreed to. I am the one you blindly and without thought chose to
enslave yourself to. In short, I am your Master."

At this, the table of celebrating individuals became a unified group
against the unfairness of the deal.

After a few moments of unrepeatable comments and slurs, I revealed my
true intent.

"What I did to you is what this administration and congress did to you
with the health care legislation. I easily suckered you in and then
revealed the real cost of the bargain. Your folly was in the belief
that you can have something you did not earn, and for that which you
did not earn, you willingly allowed someone else to think for you.
Your failure to research, study and inform yourself permitted reason
to escape you. You have entered into a trap from which you cannot
flee. Your only chance of freedom is if your new Master gives it to
you. A freedom that is given can also be taken away. Therefore, it is
not freedom at all."

With that, I tore up the napkin and placed it before the astonished
young man. "This is the nature of your new health care legislation."

I turned away to leave these few in thought and contemplation -- and
was surprised by applause.

The elderly gentleman, who was clearly entertained, shook my hand
enthusiastically and said, "Thank you, Sir. These kids don't
understand Liberty ."

He refused to allow me to pay my bill as he said, "You earned this
one. It is an honor to pick up the tab."

I shook his hand in thanks, leaving the restaurant somewhat humbled
and sensing a glimmer of hope for my beloved country.

1. Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box,
the jury box, and the cartridge box.

2. THIS SHOULD GO AROUND THE UNITED STATES SO PEOPLE CAN SEE JUST WHAT
IS GOING ON. MAYBE EVEN THE POLITICALLY BLIND ONES WILL LEARN
SOMETHING FROM IT.

"ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE
AMERICAN GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM; BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE
AMERICAN INDIAN." HENRY FORD

I mean aside from being shitthatdidn'thappen.txt it's also one of the more convoluted arguments I've ever seen. PPACA is like a free house with undefined terms of agreement and the legal authority of being written on a napkin, I think? :psyduck:

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 8, 2013

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Mo_Steel posted:

Well... this is a thing from my Facebook feed which is usually pretty tame fare:

I mean aside from being shitthatdidn'thappen.txt it's also one of the more convoluted arguments I've ever seen. PPACA is like a free house with undefined terms of agreement and the legal authority of being written on a napkin, I think? :psyduck:

Ahahahaha, I love the little shout-out to gun rights at the end there.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

I always get confused when I see quotations about the Native Americans pop up in pro-gun arguments, since they're usually by the same people that would shout you down if you told them that the United States did indeed engage in systematic genocide of its indigenous population.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

quote:

I heard a young man exclaim, "Isn't Obama like Jesus Christ? I mean,
after all, he is healing the sick."

A young woman enthusiastically proclaimed, "Yeah, and he does it for
free. I cannot believe anyone would think that a free market wouldn't
work for health care."

Another said, "The stupid Republicans want us all to starve to death
so they can inherit all of the power. Obama should be made a Saint for
what he did for those of us less fortunate."

They looked at each other in astonishment. "Why would you do something
like that?" asked a young man, "There isn't anything for free in this
world." They began to laugh at me, as they did not realize this man
had just made my point.

I love this because the guy making it up couldn't even keep his talking points out of the stupid young people's dialogue.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Reminder that the Native Americans were only made wards of the US government because white people hated that their communal property system was so good at taking care of the tribes.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Mo_Steel posted:

There's just so much :psyduck: in that I don't even know where to begin.

I think a more accurate metaphor would be that you're trying to get a home loan and you heard that a bank is offering better rates for people like you with mixed credit scores, but when you go there, there's a big mob of guys who won't stop screaming that that bank is going to slip in a clause where they get to kill your grandma and take your children, and they're screaming so loud that you can barely even hear the actual banker as she's trying to explain the terms of the loan.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012
My favorite part of this is that the kid just could have torn up the napkin and kept the keys. Does this person really think you could enforce such a useless contract, written on a napkin?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Sir Rolo posted:

My favorite part of this is that the kid just could have torn up the napkin and kept the keys. Does this person really think you could enforce such a useless contract, written on a napkin?

The author thinks you can force someone into literal slavery by getting them to sign a poorly worded document that says "you can have my house as long as you do whatever I say". Even if it was on legal letterhead and signed in front of a notary, this poo poo would be laughable.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Contracts are the most important thing in society.*

*Except social contract.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
This got posted on FB with a challenge for me to refute it. Could I please get some help?

quote:

Obama's list of accomplishments:
-Obamacare: it's broken, too expensive, and even those that voted for it are running from it (grade: failure)
-Homeland Security: five terrorist attacks under his watch; Fast & Furious...deaths of hundreds
-Benghazi: allowed four men to be murdered in an effort to secure his reelection
-Gun Control: couldn't even get his own party on board in an effort to change the US Constitution
-Commander in Chief: failed to get our troops out of Afghanistan after promising to do so during his first campaign (actually deploying more and more to Africa everyday); failed to close Guatanamo Bay after promising to do so during his first campaign; cut military budget and forces to bare bones
-Sequestration: sacrificed careers and family incomes just to make a point and try to make the GOP look bad...all could have been avoided; promised in a debate with Romney that sequestration would not happen if he was elected...he lied
-Foreign Policy: armed and funded the Muslim Brotherhood
-Taxes: he promised no new taxes on the middle class which was not only a joke, but a blatant lie...he knew all along everyone's taxes were going to go up significantly; now supporting more sales tax on Internet sales
-Budget/Deficit: hahaha...are you kidding??? Raised the national deficit more than all previous presidents combined! Budget? We haven't had one in more than six years!
-Unemployment/Jobs: cooked the numbers until after the election, but the actual rate is around 9.8% unemployed (15% for blacks and 21% for under 25 years of age).
-Golf/Vacation: more golf and more money spent on vacations by the Obama family than any other president

What did I miss?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

SalTheBard posted:

This got posted on FB with a challenge for me to refute it. Could I please get some help?

The debt is higher, but the deficit is lower.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
You could spend almost a book's worth of narrative unpacking all the bullshit from the inaccurate or blatantly false talking points commentary in that list. Some of that stuff is phrased in such a way that I doubt you'd ever change their opinion, e.g.: Benghazi.

Statements on Obamacare are subjective as hell and don't invite honest discussion.

Honestly I'd tell him that if he was really interested in having you legitimately take the time to respond back to that list because he genuinely wants to know your thoughts he needs to take the time to strip out all the talking points bullshit first. Then provide you with something sourced or even if not sourced, at least as neutrally presented as possible. Sure it is a punt but you will have 0 meaningful interaction with this person anyways based on how they phrased that list to you.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Man, the owner at miataturbo is on fire!!

quote:

some in this thread, still maintain their friend in Bengazhi was killed in response to him producing a disgusting video about muslims. They also maintain that Trayvon was murdered by a racist kid out for black blood. This is just what they do, because tragedies are good at exploiting the agenda and repeating the same tired talking points and distracting us from real conversation that goes against their narrow mindset.

:ironicat:

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

SalTheBard posted:

quote:

Obama's list of accomplishments:
-Obamacare: it's broken, too expensive, and even those that voted for it are running from it (grade: failure)
How exactly is it broken? Also, it is still projected to save money over the alternative of not having it last time I checked.

quote:

-Homeland Security: five terrorist attacks under his watch; Fast & Furious...deaths of hundreds
Deaths of hundreds is pretty decent considering his predecessor!

quote:

-Benghazi: allowed four men to be murdered in an effort to secure his reelection
"Allowed" is blatantly misleading, and how the hell would it help his reelection? Magically saving them would have done a lot more for him.

quote:

-Gun Control: couldn't even get his own party on board in an effort to change the US Constitution
Gun control got shot down by Republicans in congress, no one else. Something like 90% of the country is in favor of the gun control laws proposed, so if you want to blame someone blame the NRA and the Congressional members in their pants.

quote:

-Commander in Chief: failed to get our troops out of Afghanistan after promising to do so during his first campaign (actually deploying more and more to Africa everyday); failed to close Guatanamo Bay after promising to do so during his first campaign; cut military budget and forces to bare bones
Afghanistan is not in Africa, so this seems kind of weird? They actually did propose closing Gitmo but Congress refused to fund it because of NIMBY crap as well as not wanting to appear "soft on terrorists" like Fox News tried to paint them.

quote:

-Sequestration: sacrificed careers and family incomes just to make a point and try to make the GOP look bad...all could have been avoided; promised in a debate with Romney that sequestration would not happen if he was elected...he lied
The sequester is pretty hosed up, but once again it is actually the fault of the Republicans and is pretty stupid to blame on Obama.

quote:

See the response below mine, I didn't read this correctly!

quote:

-Taxes: he promised no new taxes on the middle class which was not only a joke, but a blatant lie...he knew all along everyone's taxes were going to go up significantly; now supporting more sales tax on Internet sales
Yup, more taxes suck and I wish they could have all been shoved off on the rich as well, but even the middle class has the lowest taxes in quite a long time so a small increase shouldn't hurt too much if it helps the economy recover.

quote:

-Budget/Deficit: hahaha...are you kidding??? Raised the national deficit more than all previous presidents combined! Budget? We haven't had one in more than six years!
The debt is high, but the deficit is not. Obama has been reducing government spending as a % of GDP and combined with the increased taxes and (slowly) recovering economy we are in a better position than we have been since before Bush. Also the budget is congress's responsibility, and guess who is holding it up for stupid reasons? You guessed it, Congressional Republicans!

quote:

-Unemployment/Jobs: cooked the numbers until after the election, but the actual rate is around 9.8% unemployed (15% for blacks and 21% for under 25 years of age).
Misleading unemployment numbers has been something the government has done forever, and not just around election time. If you want to really see people who don't give a crap about unemployment numbers look to the Congressional Republicans who are trying to prevent the CBO from even compiling unemployment statistics!

quote:

-Golf/Vacation: more golf and more money spent on vacations by the Obama family than any other president
Obama has taken the fewest vacation days of any of the recent presidents. Most of the money spent on these golfing trips and vacations are to keep the government running no matter where the president is, because they are never really on vacation. Additionally the money spent is tiny compared to many other issues and I would much rather have a president that had at least SOME time to relax and wasn't high-strung stressed out literally 100% of his waking hours.

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 8, 2013

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

SalTheBard posted:

Benghazi: The fastest quick reaction forces available to the US military were mobilized and on their way to Benghazi and the attack ended before they arrived. The embassy in Tripoli organized a force of CIA security, US military, and medical personnel, and flew them to Benghazi who, with Libyan forces, evacuated the CIA annex within a matter of hours. And no, those drones weren't armed.

Gun Control: What change to the constitution was that?

Gitmo: He got blocked by congress. They were too scared of the big scary terrorists being detained on US soil.

Deploying more and more military to Africa everyday: Does he want AFRICOM to be able to deal with situations like Benghazi or not?

Cut military budget and forces to bare bones: it's almost like after you end a war, and nearly finish winding down another you don't need a huge military.
Does the author of the list want more military or less? He can't seem to decide.

Taxes: By tax hikes does this guy mean the expiration of the tax cuts Obama fought to secure? Also internet shoppers are already legally required to pay sales tax, so it's not new. Furthermore sales taxes are state rather than federal to begin with.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

SalTheBard posted:

quote:

It's still being implemented and won't be compelte until the next round of rules kicks in. Grading it a failure before it's done is about the same as landing a plane on an aircraft carrier to say a war has been won nearly a decade before it's even close to over with.

quote:

9/11, Ohio sniper, Beltway sniper, anthrax express, mailbox pipebomber and several embassy bombings. Deaths of thousands under the watchful eye of the Republican party. Obama has been an improvement.

quote:

Do Americans demand blood tributes from presidential candidates now? img-dyingfornatesilverpollnumbers.jpg

quote:

The Democratic party isn't one homogenous block of politicians.

quote:

I'm not sure if he ever promised to be out of Afghanistan in four years. Plus, didn't Petraeus ask for a slower withdrawal? Guantanamo Bay: he's not a dictator -- he needed congressional support. The DoD budget has grown every single year under Obama. I guess he cut the budget and forces to bare bones by giving them more money? Funny way of cutting their budget by expanding it!

quote:

The GOP voted for sequestration too. Both parties were involved, both agreed to it.

quote:

Where was the outrage during "The Surge" when we armed and funded any Sunnis in Iraq?

quote:

He never raised taxes on the middle class. In fact, he lowered taxes via the payroll tax. Sales tax on internet sales has pretty widespread support, but I supposed they have a point there.

quote:

The deficit under Obama has shrunk at record pace (I think the fastest since WW2). Also there was that matter of $6 trillion or so that we spent in Iraq and Afghanistan coming onto the books.

quote:

How was it cooked? Who did the study to find out the "actual rate" of unemployment?

quote:

http://www.factcheck.org/2011/07/the-traveling-president/

http://www.politicususa.com/cost-obama-christmas-vacation-bush.html

Not that it will change their opinions, but, you know, gotta try.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

19 o'clock posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TvWXN7OLfU

This came up on Facebook recently.

This is absolutely glorious. The guy blames the illuminati and freemasons for his failures as a musician. He and others talk about the cosmic 432hz as being a way to fight back against the oppressive mind control of 440hz tuning of instruments. Reading that led me to a whole other level of crazy conspiracy nut poo poo about how music is bad if it isn't played based on a 432hz A natural.

It's one of Lyndon LaRouche's more benign conspiracy theories; he thinks that A440 is inferior to A432 and... that's about it. No Jew-blaming this time. :psyduck:

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

Where was the outrage during "The Surge" when we armed and funded any Sunnis in Iraq?

I suppose it's easy to conflate the Muslim Brotherhood and Egypt now that Mursi is President. While I wouldn't argue that Mursi is in any independent of the Muslim Brotherhood, there's a pretty loving stark difference between giving old aircraft to a country's military -- which is at odds with the Muslim Brotherhood -- and the actual organization itself.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

I'm not sure if he ever promised to be out of Afghanistan in four years. Plus, didn't Petraeus ask for a slower withdrawal?

Not only that, but--correct me if I'm wrong here--didn't he very explicitly say in 2008 that he'd be withdrawing troops from Iraq to focus on the "rightful war in Afghanistan"? I could swear it said this very specifically on his 2008 campaign page.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Argue posted:

Not only that, but--correct me if I'm wrong here--didn't he very explicitly say in 2008 that he'd be withdrawing troops from Iraq to focus on the "rightful war in Afghanistan"? I could swear it said this very specifically on his 2008 campaign page.

Yep. He never promised a reduction in afghan, just the opposite: a refocusing and reinforcement.

Iraq was the war he promised to end, and he "ended it" just a few months longer than promised (but according to the RIF agreement in place). Of course, that became a negative for the right as "he couldn't even renegotiate a new timeline" was somehow something bad/easy to do.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

I know this is a few pages back but I couldn't leave it. I just got back from living in Germany for two years and every class is better off in Germany than in America except rich people. The labor laws are incredibly favorable, free healthcare, a functioning infrastructure, an actual social safety net, and the list goes one.

I understand this dude is clearly full of poo poo but it's just SO FAR from the truth it hurts my brain. I hated German weather and the people were not particularly friendly and I'd still give my left testicle to be a German citizen just because I'd be treated like an actual human being.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

In addition to what's already been posted - and if you're feeling glib - you can link to Obama's actual accomplishments:

http://whatthefuckhasobamadonesofar.com/

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Tibeerius posted:

In addition to what's already been posted - and if you're feeling glib - you can link to Obama's actual accomplishments:

Haha I just linked that.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

The Democratic party isn't one homogenous block of politicians.

"Couldn't get his own party on board," is just blatantly false. The Senate Republicans scored a coup on Obama's bill; i.e. Democrats were on board, it was the Republicans that promised support for the bill then double-crossed the administration that caused its failure to pass.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Tibeerius posted:

"Expansion of Medicaid to all individuals under age 65 with incomes up to 133 percent of the federal poverty level."

Yeah, about that... :smith:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

XyloJW posted:

"Expansion of Medicaid to all individuals under age 65 with incomes up to 133 percent of the federal poverty level."

Yeah, about that... :smith:

Yeah they should add "if you don't have an assholes republican governor"

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Got this one today and was at a loss of where to begin:

Yeah, someone fired for disrespecting a superior officer is the exact same as someone who murdered people not being executed without a trial. Seriously, what the gently caress?

Swarmin Swedes
Oct 22, 2008

Internet Webguy posted:

Yeah, someone fired for disrespecting a superior officer is the exact same as someone who murdered people not being executed without a trial. Seriously, what the gently caress?

Not only that he said

quote:

"I said on there," Stein read, "'As an active-duty Marine, I say, "Screw Obama," and I will not follow the orders from him - all orders from him."'

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57427802/sgt-gary-stein-discharged-for-obama-criticism-scared-not-backing-down/

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why do they have to add the ridiculous lie that Hassan is somehow receiving full pay?

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

greatn posted:

Why do they have to add the ridiculous lie that Hassan is somehow receiving full pay?

It wouldn't be full pay but at least in 2011 he retained rank and was receiving a check, which is as it should be, because he hasn't been convicted. I don't know UCMJ well enough to know how it impacts his check, do you? (Not sarcastic, I'm legitimately curious and a little googling didn't turn anything up)

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Pass a law making it illegal to smile in prison! :argh:

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

greatn posted:

Isn't he? From what I read, until he's court martialed, and proven guilty and stripped of rank, he's still a major and still receiving a major's paycheck.

Divine Disclaimer
Jan 24, 2013

by T. Finninho
Crazy forwarded political emails from my family?

I get my crazy political emails right from my congressman.

quote:

Getting spending under control and promoting self-sufficiency through work are important policy steps for reforming the nation’s massive welfare state, [...]

:patriot:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Internet Webguy posted:

'Hassan Terrorist' is the best name ever.

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

Mister Bates posted:

You'd think someone would have got suspicious.

Although I guess it's racist to assume an arab looking guy called Mr Terrorist is a terrorist

13stitches
Mar 13, 2012

You were born free, you got fucked out of half of it and you wave a flag celebrating it.
It's the best possible cover. Remember American Psycho? Being as open as possible about your crazy leanings can keep you from getting noticed at all, especially if it's about something as outragous as murder. Or at least it seems so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Mister Bates posted:

Makes airline reservations a bitch, though. "It's Te-ROR-rist, you racist bastard."